Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.afl.com.au/news/675266/-bac ... ceo-liddle

Quote:
CHIEF executive Cain Liddle has parted with Carlton.

Blues staff were this morning told his four-year tenure in the role would end immediately.

It comes three weeks after the club sacked David Teague as coach and continues the mayhem surrounding its off-field operations, which have also seen nine-year director Luke Sayers bring forward his plans to take over as president from Mark LoGiudice.

It is believed Liddle gave Sayers an ultimatum early this week, to "back me or sack me", after it had become obvious that Sayers had made approaches to departing Geelong CEO Brian Cook.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm 
Trevor Keogh

If people wanted accountability and change, they are getting it in spades! My own sense is that Liddle's strength was the commercial side of things rather than managing the wider organization and it was hard to put the genie back in the bottle and demote him back to his former position. It also seems from afar that he lived by the sword and ultimately fell victim to it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Fair enough. He wanted to know where he stood and Sayers showed him the door! We can and should do better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Tend to agree...he was an excellent membership manager at Richmond. Maybe that's what we should have recruited him for

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:51 pm 
Banned

Liddle had no football director to work with - his administrative acumen on the commercial side was good. But can't expect him to be a football director as well.

As for Cook he is 65 years old and of preservation age.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:52 pm 
Bob Chitty

Agree with CK
Well credential as a marketing manager but the CEO role requires a lot more and ultimately was found wanting by someone who has performed that role in a much bigger and more successful organisation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hope the membership team were paying attention.

If it is Cook, let’s hope he sees it as a short tenure to nail down football department structure & board/exec support, then a board seat if he’s interested.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
Liddle had no football director to work with - his administrative acumen on the commercial side was good. But can't expect him to be a football director as well.

Haha typical that you would side with liddle

Wtf are going on about

Liddle has no ethics or football nous about him at afl level

He got rid of sos and replaced him with Austin who got mauled by dodoro and saad trade
Offered free memberships this year
$9 memberships next year
Got Teague the job , if he backed for the sos termination
Is the leak of the club
Got llyod the job of footy manager with no experience
Shall I go on ??

Honestly mate I get someone has to always play the devil advocate position, which you chose to play but you are beyond that ,

Can’t wait to see what you say when llyod goes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:23 pm 
Banned

azzablue wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Haha typical that you would side with liddle

Wtf are going on about

Liddle has no ethics or football nous about him at afl level

He got rid of sos and replaced him with Austin who got mauled by dodoro and saad trade
Offered free memberships this year
$9 memberships next year
Got Teague the job , if he backed for the sos termination
Is the leak of the club
Got llyod the job of footy manager with no experience
Shall I go on ??

Honestly mate I get someone has to always play the devil advocate position, which you chose to play but you are beyond that ,

Can’t wait to see what you say when llyod goes

Im not siding with anyone really... Im siding with Carlton. I don't follow Sayers, I think the guy is an outright moron - or more like an Elliot wannabe, except he can't buy players and will be seen how many more people get disgruntled as disunity continues at the club where only professionalism reigns supreme. He has been on the board for nine years going into his tenth and so far he seems like he is out of his depth.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

From the club email and website…

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1014970/

Quote:
The Carlton Football Club can confirm that it has today agreed to mutually part ways with CEO Cain Liddle.

The decision was made following Liddle’s request for certainty relating to his future at the Club.

The Board convened last night to discuss Liddle’s request and position, identifying that the disparity between off-field and on-field performance has grown significantly, without enough done to bridge that gap over a long-term period.

Carlton President Luke Sayers praised Liddle’s contribution to the Club.

“Under Cain’s leadership the Club has cleared historical debt, significantly grown membership and commercial revenues, as well as introduced new non-traditional revenues, which now leaves the Club in the strongest financial position we have been in for many years,” Sayers said.

“Our players, coaches, staff, members and supporters can be incredibly grateful for the role Cain has played in placing the Carlton Football Club in the off-field position of strength we now find ourselves in.”

Sayers also outlined what the Club’s focus would be in the appointment of a new CEO.

“As I mentioned last week, we are entering a reset phase for our football club, and while we have built a strong platform in a business sense, the ability to ensure our on-field position matches our off-field one is an area that must be addressed,” Sayers said.

“That will be the focus for our football club as we look to appoint a new CEO – someone who can drive a sustainable level of high performance across every department of the football club.

“Whilst the performance of the entire club has been under review, the Board has now completed all personnel changes.”

Liddle said he was thankful and appreciative for the role he has been able to play in improving the off-field position of the Club over the last four years.

“I’m extremely grateful to have been given the opportunity almost four years ago to lead this club,” Liddle said.

“The review process highlighted our on-field performance was not at the standard we expect as a club and I accept full responsibility for that.

“Right now, the Club needs stability more than anything else. Given the uncertainty around my position, I needed to seek clarity on my role to provide everyone with that stability for us to move forward.

“It has taken a lot of hard work from a lot of very good people to get to this point and I have no doubt that we will begin to see the benefits of that hard work in the years to come.

“Obviously none of what we have achieved in the last four years would have been possible without our members and partners, whose commitment to consistently commit to the Club in the way they have, particularly over the past two years, irrespective of wins and losses, shows the power of the Carlton faithful.

“AFL CEOs jobs are incredibly taxing, even more so over the past two years, not just on yourself but your families as well and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my wife Hayley, who has carried the entire load of our family, home schooling our three kids through the ongoing challenges of COVID, which all Victorians have had to deal with. It’s now my turn to take on that support role and play my part.

“I move into the next phase of my career excited for what lies ahead but equally proud that hopefully this football club is now in a significantly better place. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in the Carlton Football Club, including players, staff, members, supporters and commercial partners and wish the Club all the best as it enters this new phase.”

The coaching recruitment process remains ongoing, no further personnel will be added to the subcommittee.

The Club’s Chief Financial Officer, Tom Crookes will be interim CEO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:26 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Love Sayers, it’s Friday, MASSIVE!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lloyd seems safe, then???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:36 pm 
Robert Walls

Really happy about this. I was amazed that he survived the review.

Some of his actions during his tenure were borderline sakcable - such as going behind SOS's back trying to recruit Dan Butler and Brandon Ellis, plus the Betts contract value issue.

Did a good job at increasing membership numbers, but the CEO roles requires much more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:39 pm 
Bert Deacon

camel wrote:
So it seems if Sayers' quote from that email is to be believed "Whilst the performance of the entire club has been under review, the Board has now completed all personnel changes.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

LGM gets the books right, we are healthy financially finally for the first time since about 1999,
steps aside.

Sayers steps in and now that we are financially strong turns the Board's attention onto the football side of the club

and so it begins. Is this the change we have all hoped for (well all except a couple who miss Teague)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

What you think the club is a right mess
We so desperately need stability off the field

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

snakehips wrote:
camel wrote:
So it seems if Sayers' quote from that email is to be believed "Whilst the performance of the entire club has been under review, the Board has now completed all personnel changes.”

That section of the statement stood out to me as well. But on reflection I thought, hang on he said "the Board has now completed all personnel changes." That does not rule out the board being aware that another staff members is about to accept an offer elsewhere or has just decided to resign.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

snakehips wrote:
camel wrote:

He couldn’t possibly survive…. Shirley???

We can’t afford to live in fear of the tax, especially if Russell is on the outer.

What’s the point of adding these Collins St types to the board if we can’t get around a Mickey Mouse tax issue? FFS, one of them was front & square in the biggest banking cartel we’ve ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh wrote:

So you'll want Cook moved on if the alternative board is elected?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:05 pm 
John James

Walsh wrote:

Hey! 65 is not old. Experienced is a more preferable term.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next