Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Great future planning by both clubs.
There has been pressure to scrap it because everybody hates both clubs but there is no arguing the numbers. The AFL will have to hire another bean counter when these two teams are back playing finals against each other with the H/A games getting sell out crowds as well.
Add those two teams to Collingwood, Essendon*** and Hawthorn being strong in Vic, the New capacity of the WA and SA grounds and the financial future of the AFL looks good enough to carry NSW and Qld.
I've been to a number of these season openers and I will say one thing, though. Richmond supporters are the worst I have seen.

Currently yes.

But I am guessing you never went to Victoria Park. :razz:

I went twice.
First time, I was with my dad and there were 66,000 people there after they pulled the gates over and overfilled the joint after the stewards locked the crowd out. Why he took me is still a mystery because he only ever went to PP and the MCG apart from that one day.
I think it was Len Thompson's first game against us where Big John knocked him out in the first round..
The second time was more tranquil and we won. It was in about 1983.
Yes, they're horrible but the Tigers are worse IMO and always have been.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
There has been pressure to scrap it because everybody hates both clubs but there is no arguing the numbers. The AFL will have to hire another bean counter when these two teams are back playing finals against each other with the H/A games getting sell out crowds as well.
Add those two teams to Collingwood, Essendon*** and Hawthorn being strong in Vic, the New capacity of the WA and SA grounds and the financial future of the AFL looks good enough to carry NSW and Qld.
I've been to a number of these season openers and I will say one thing, though. Richmond supporters are the worst I have seen.

Currently yes.

Hah, yes. I remember doing a half victory lap around the boundary playing in the Blues Little League back in the day at Vic Park. The cheer squad and anyone near them constantly spat at us and we had to dodge the flying loogies. :eek:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

not many tickets available

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
If I go I'll be fashionably late

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

I may also leave fashionably early.

:razz:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Add those two teams to Collingwood, Essendon**** and Hawthorn being strong in Vic, the New capacity of the WA and SA grounds and the financial future of the AFL looks good enough to carry NSW and Qld.

Currently yes.

I went twice.
First time, I was with my dad and there were 66,000 people there after they pulled the gates over and overfilled the joint after the stewards locked the crowd out. Why he took me is still a mystery because he only ever went to PP and the MCG apart from that one day.
I think it was Len Thompson's first game against us where Big John knocked him out in the first round..
The second time was more tranquil and we won. It was in about 1983.
Yes, they're horrible but the Tigers are worse IMO and always have been.

I went once as a young kid in the '60s and cowered in the outer. Don't remember who won. I do remember I got out with my life.

Went years later with a 'woods friend on reserved seats and it was passable. Maybe because I could compare it to the earlier experience. Then again, the 'woods won that day which helped calm the morons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 am 
Harry Vallence

I remember being in the outer at Victoria Park (alone) when Greg Kennedy was standing under a high ball waiting to take a mark. There was a Collingwood player approaching hellbent on destruction. Kennedy raised his boot to head height so the approaching man had to take evasive action lest he have his teeth removed.

Mayhem ensued. Magpie fans around me were incensed.

I (loudly) maintained that Greg's actions were entirely justified due to the unarguable malice which seemed inherent in anyone wearing the abhorrent black and white guernsey. My opinion didn't seem to sway many of the beer-swilling yokels in my vicinity.

For one of the few occasions in my life, I stood my ground despite overwhelming odds. As I recall, we were thrashed.

But I stood my ground. I think I was 16.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 am 
Harry Vallence

kkk wrote:
I remember being in the outer at Victoria Park (alone) when Greg Kennedy was standing under a high ball waiting to take a mark. There was a Collingwood player approaching hellbent on destruction. Kennedy raised his boot to head height so the approaching man had to take evasive action lest he have his teeth removed.

Mayhem ensued. Magpie fans around me were incensed.

I (loudly) maintained that Greg's actions were entirely justified due to the unarguable malice which seemed inherent in anyone wearing the abhorrent black and white guernsey. My opinion didn't seem to sway many of the beer-swilling yokels in my vicinity.

For one of the few occasions in my life, I stood my ground despite overwhelming odds. As I recall, we were thrashed.

But I stood my ground. I think I was 16.

Referring to Blueseum it appears my ageing memory is failing me.

Greg Kennedy's only game at Vic Park was a draw and I was 19.

So, maybe I wasn't as brave as I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 am 
Stephen Silvagni

They are full of confidence if last night is anything to go by.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:
They are full of confidence if last night is anything to go by.

They're putting crazy pressure on the opposition players. Very high intensity for pre-season games.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Tiggers looked good last night against an immature, undeveloped, youthful side: 3rd youngest in the comp.

The obvious imo was the Tiggers played with flair and supreme confidence: daring.

* Running ahead of the ball believing their team mate would win contest and hand it over.
* Leaving their opponents to outnumber at contests often seeing 3 or 4 Tigger players against 1 or 2 Kangas.

Tiggers showed clean hands, a spring in their step and a team with bigger bodies than their opponents. The Tiggers are now a bonafide mature team with pressure on spots and a list with a clean bill of health (which they enjoyed throughtout 2017)...and the karma train tells me it is their turn to experience injury, as its only a matter of time.

I think if we can stem the flow by nullifying contests, there should be a lot of Carlton players loose to go through when we win the loose ball or force the turnover, of which they had 68 last night. If we can capitalise on those turnovers...and Im sure we will create them.

Do Tiggers have a Plan B? Well against the Saints in 2017 they were over run and beaten up at the contest. Admittedly the Tiggers turned that around after that game, but the point is, the Tiggers best set plans can be messed up.

Lets see what style of play we bring to the Hawks game. I'm hoping we continue our brilliant defensive game from 2017, which all teams struggle with, and continue with the offensive layer honed in over the preseason with a sling shot attacking game as witnessed last week against the Saints in the 1st half, and last quarter.

I'm confident Bolton will be priming our players for a win with a winning game plan with a bunch of kids who have another preseason under their belt.

Gosh I hope we spoil their party. I think we can despite the display of brilliance last 2 JLT games. I am not over awed by the Tiggers performance thus far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondi

I am overawed by our first up JLT game.

The glass is always half full. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

grrofunger wrote:
not many tickets available

It is expected to be a sell out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondi

Sugar coater.

Over and awe'out

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Tiggers looked good last night against an immature, undeveloped, youthful side: 3rd youngest in the comp.

The obvious imo was the Tiggers played with flair and supreme confidence: daring.

* Running ahead of the ball believing their team mate would win contest and hand it over.
* Leaving their opponents to outnumber at contests often seeing 3 or 4 Tigger players against 1 or 2 Kangas.

Tiggers showed clean hands, a spring in their step and a team with bigger bodies than their opponents. The Tiggers are now a bonafide mature team with pressure on spots and a list with a clean bill of health (which they enjoyed throughtout 2017)...and the karma train tells me it is their turn to experience injury, as its only a matter of time.

I think if we can stem the flow by nullifying contests, there should be a lot of Carlton players loose to go through when we win the loose ball or force the turnover, of which they had 68 last night. If we can capitalise on those turnovers...and Im sure we will create them.

Do Tiggers have a Plan B? Well against the Saints in 2017 they were over run and beaten up at the contest. Admittedly the Tiggers turned that around after that game, but the point is, the Tiggers best set plans can be messed up.

Lets see what style of play we bring to the Hawks game. I'm hoping we continue our brilliant defensive game from 2017, which all teams struggle with, and continue with the offensive layer honed in over the preseason with a sling shot attacking game as witnessed last week against the Saints in the 1st half, and last quarter.

I'm confident Bolton will be priming our players for a win with a winning game plan with a bunch of kids who have another preseason under their belt.

Gosh I hope we spoil their party. I think we can despite the display of brilliance last 2 JLT games. I am not over awed by the Tiggers performance thus far.

I appreciate these thoughts as listening to both Tiggers games it appeared that they were playing so aggressively, backs pushing up and relying on pressure turnovers. Wondered how to counter it - as I suspect it is effective with a confident team but could be exposed with a good counter plan. You get the impression if the tiggers get a run on they are hard to stop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Hardwick:
"They spoiled Collingwood's big day last year. Don't let them spoil yours."

Bolton:
"They won't want us to spoil their party. Are you up for it?"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Still 3 weeks to go, but my current guess is -

B: Simmo Jones Plowman
HB: Byrne Marchbank Cunningham
C: E Curnow Cripps SPS
HF: Fisher Weitering C Curnow
F: Wright Casboult Thomas

R: Kreuzer Kennedy Murphy

Inter: Dow Lamb Pickett SOJ

I posted this last week and I stick by it as my 22 for round 1 after tonight’s game.

There might be a positional change or two (eg. it’s going to be very interesting to see what they do with Weitering & Marchbank) but I reckon that will be the squad.

Mullett & O’Shea did OK tonight, but I would be mildly disappointed if they are selected ahead of Byrne & Cunningham.

The only way McKay should play is if Kreuzer is unavailable, IMO. Even then, I might be tempted to go with another running player instead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think you are very close with that team abns.

My only other thought is your 22 has 5 hff/fp types (soj, Pickett, daisy, lamb, wright). Wouldn’t surprise me to see lamb miss for mullet (just ahead of o’shea I feel)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes I think they will want to play Mullett for more flexibility and maybe Lamb will miss but either in my view will be stiff to miss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/972453768674476032

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondi

Sugar coater.

Over and awe'out

bondi you wanted to see what we brought against the Hawks after the Saints win..

If Kreuzer gets back injury free we will do even better. The glass is still half full. :thumbsup:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next