Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I really believe we can knock Tiggers off.
Last year we were not that far off them imo.
We are a better finishing team this year, and last weeks experience against the frenetic attack of the Hawks will hold them in good stead this week.

My team for Round 1

B: Byrne Jones Plowman
HB: Simpson Weitering Cuningham

C: Marchbank Cripps Petrovski
R: Kreuzer Kennedy Curnow.E

HF: Fisher Curnow.C Murphy
F: Pickett Casboult Silvagni

I: Dow Garlett Thomas Wright Dow

E: Macreadie Lamb McKay

Marchbank as the extra Defender and Link up player on the wing.
Played that role really well in the 2nd half

Byrne and Cuningham give us genuine speed in the backline against the smaller Tigger Forwards

Fisher Murphy to play high forward and part of the midfield group, and SPS to provide the speed and class.
All provide a great outlet of outside speed...as would Pickett Dow and Garlett in support.

Ed Curnow to sit on Martin when he's playing midfield, and Byrne or Cuningham to take on Martin when forward.
Hopefully Umpires are onto the Don't Argue on the throat when Martin is fending off.

McKay isn't ready for this huge game, and would rather him being introduced in the following week or two and practises holding his marks in reserves.

If there's an injury to Kreuzer or Casboult there's always Weitering who can be a target forward, maybe Marchbank.

Plenty of marking power in forwardline with Casboult and the very mobile Curnow and Silvagni.

Lamb played really well against Hawks...really well...and I wouldn't be surprised if he holds his spot, but would like to see the express speed of Garlett in front of 90,000 fans.

Thomas may have shown enough in the JLT to secure a spot on a big day, plus his experience will be handy.

Macreadie like McKay is another young one I'd like to see more games from this year, and expect to.

Lang and probably Williamson would be in the 22 if they had a good prep before this game.

I expect us to strangle them with our team defense, and I also believe the Tiggers may be a tad over confident and believe their own hype following 2 huge wins against disappointing opponents in the JLT.

IMO we have the speed we need for this game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Marchbank as the extra Defender and Link up player on the wing. Played that role really well in the 2nd half.

Yeah, I thought he was impressive in that role as well.

bondiblue wrote:
Ed Curnow to sit on Martin when he's playing midfield, and Byrne or Cuningham to take on Martin when forward.

I think Curnow will go to Martin. Ed struggles with the bigger midfielders.
I think Plowman will go to Martin when he heads forward. Martin is very strong in the marking contests. Don't think Byrne or Cuningham have the body strength or nous to match him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:09 am 
Craig Bradley

ASOS might have been another option for Martin (when forward). But probably isn't fit enough.
O'Shea might be another option, although I suspect there's other guys they would prefer to play ahead of him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 am 
John Nicholls

Stefchook wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Marchbank as the extra Defender and Link up player on the wing. Played that role really well in the 2nd half.

bondiblue wrote:

I think Plowman will go to Martin when he heads forward. Martin is very strong in the marking contests. Don't think Byrne or Cuningham have the body strength or nous to match him.

Tuohey is stronger than Byrne and Cunners and even he used to get rag-dolled by Martin in D50. Cost us late goals in two matches that I can remember when we were still in with a chance. I actually think Jones might be the guy. He just needs to kill the ball/contest when it goes near Martin. We have Plow, Weiters and Marchbank that could roll onto Riewoldt and the others.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

bondiblue wrote:

Plowman is a good match up for Martin when forward.

It didnt happen often but there was a time when Ratten played Waite and on a wing, and he was a great link up and had the running power to run forward and back. Marchbank role reminded me of that.

We couldnt do that often with Waite because we were short on KPP's. That's not our problem in 2018.

Would have loved to see Alex Silvagni on Martin when he's forward. Jones is an interesting one. I guess with team defense that may happen.

I remember the Tuohy match up...you're right robertbb...Byne and Cuningham would struggle too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Martin is impossible to tackle when he is on song.
If there was one really disappointing aspect of last week's game, it was that we couldn't stick tackles in the defensive fifty.
We need to do it, not just with Martin.
I think we are too worried about him, even though he is a gun. He is going to get 20-30 possessions, no matter who is on him. let Ed go with him. he is astong and has the tank. the Tigers will have their own problems handling Cripps when he goes forward.
This game will be a shootout in the end. The Tigers want to run and stun from the first bounce. We have to hold them and run it from defence ourselves to prevent the defensive turnovers. No overdoing handball. get it clear and kick to someone. The overuse of handball makes it bloody hard for the mids and half forwards to know when to lead to the ball.
I'm with Bondi as usual.
We can do this, even in the away strip.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm 
John Nicholls

We'll be wearing the away strip?!

Pretty sure we'll be wearing our navy jersey with white shorts, as we did for their home game last year.

May be mistaken, but against "heritage" Melbourne based teams like Collingwood, Essendon******, Richmond, Hawthorn etc. all clubs wear their traditional jersey. I can't remember a match where we wore away strip against the above sides (except the blue-out jersey against the cheats last year).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
If there was one really disappointing aspect of last week's game, it was that we couldn't stick tackles in the defensive fifty.

Not to mention the rest of there ground. That's the one aspect of last weeks game that requires substantial improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bolton addresses the group:

"Boys I want you all go out there and stick 4 tackles each and 'we'll eat 'em alive.
Coaches are counting the ones that stick or cause problems for them.'"

"1 Fresh 8kg Tassie Lobster each to the top 3 tacklers."

"...and for every casualty from being unsocial, and within the rules, then...."

"You with me?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:24 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:

"Boys I want you all go out there and stick 4 tackles each and 'we'll eat 'em alive.

"You with me?"

Bolts, mate.. I'm allergic to seafood..

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 am 
Bruce Doull

Paging bluedog.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I know Bondi's post is light hearted but it's important we don't place too much emphasis on tackling. Players will become reactive preying on the opposition winning the ball so they can tackle them.
It can detract from the primary principle of winning the contested ball. It's a very fine line to tread. Hopefully the coaches will focus on tackling technique and ramping up the pressure in general. If we focus primarily on tackling, it won't be the first time it's gone awry and we've spent the game watching while the opposition smash us at the contested footy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd love Ed Curnow to take a leaf out of good bloke Dangerfields play book at turn up to media the week before wearing a neck brace "just in case Dusty is around". Let it be known why he missed the last half of the year, in a light-hearted 'good bloke' kind of way.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Blue Vain wrote:
I know Bondi's post is light hearted but it's important we don't place too much emphasis on tackling. Players will become reactive preying on the opposition winning the ball so they can tackle them.
It can detract from the primary principle of winning the contested ball. It's a very fine line to tread. Hopefully the coaches will focus on tackling technique and ramping up the pressure in general. If we focus primarily on tackling, it won't be the first time it's gone awry and we've spent the game watching while the opposition smash us at the contested footy.

Win the ball and kick a higher score #2018blues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
I really believe we can knock Tiggers off.
Last year we were not that far off them imo.
We are a better finishing team this year, and last weeks experience against the frenetic attack of the Hawks will hold them in good stead this week.

My team for Round 1

B: Byrne Jones Plowman
HB: Simpson Weitering Cuningham

C: Marchbank Cripps Petrovski
R: Kreuzer Kennedy Curnow.E

HF: Fisher Curnow.C Murphy
F: Pickett Casboult Silvagni

I: Dow Garlett Thomas Wright Dow

E: Macreadie Lamb McKay

Marchbank as the extra Defender and Link up player on the wing.
Played that role really well in the 2nd half

Byrne and Cuningham give us genuine speed in the backline against the smaller Tigger Forwards

Fisher Murphy to play high forward and part of the midfield group, and SPS to provide the speed and class.
All provide a great outlet of outside speed...as would Pickett Dow and Garlett in support.

Hopefully Umpires are onto the Don't Argue on the throat when Martin is fending off.

McKay isn't ready for this huge game, and would rather him being introduced in the following week or two and practises holding his marks in reserves.

If there's an injury to Kreuzer or Casboult there's always Weitering who can be a target forward, maybe Marchbank.

Plenty of marking power in forwardline with Casboult and the very mobile Curnow and Silvagni.

Lamb played really well against Hawks...really well...and I wouldn't be surprised if he holds his spot, but would like to see the express speed of Garlett in front of 90,000 fans.

Thomas may have shown enough in the JLT to secure a spot on a big day, plus his experience will be handy.

Macreadie like McKay is another young one I'd like to see more games from this year, and expect to.

Lang and probably Williamson would be in the 22 if they had a good prep before this game.

I expect us to strangle them with our team defense, and I also believe the Tiggers may be a tad over confident and believe their own hype following 2 huge wins against disappointing opponents in the JLT.

IMO we have the speed we need for this game.

Rd 1 side looks about right to me.
Bring on Thursday night
Carn the Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

For the first time in years Richmond may have a few players missing with injury.
Geez I hope we belt them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

"You with me?"

Bolts, mate.. I'm allergic to seafood..

Do you like chicken? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

Great perspective.

First in best dressed.

Get that nut. If not, make 'em stick.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
For the first time in years Richmond may have a few players missing with injury.
Geez I hope we belt them.

Who?

Whose had an interupted preseason?

Who most likely took drugs over summer?

Who is on drugs?

Maybe they're off them, hence the injuries?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Normal One wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Win the ball and kick a higher score #2018blues

Houston Rockets Basketball

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next