Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
You're an optimist!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

In 2002 when we were penalised, people were saying it would take 7 years to recover from the mess.

As if Elliot had not done enough damage, as one last nail in the coffin he appointed Pagan which turned into another disaster and ensured multiple wooden spoons.

Remarkably, a good decision was finally made and Ratten lifted us off the bottom and into the finals (even though our list was still pretty crap).

Then came the most majestic decision the club had made in many a year (NOT). The appointment of the Madhouse. This decision was devastating and did enormous damage to the club.

The list has now been completely refurbished and hope has once again returned to the club.

I really want to be optimistic. I am so sick of all the bad stuff.

If we beat Richmond the fixture for the first 5 or 6 rounds really works in our favour.

Go Blues!

totally agree
i have to say, rattens appointment didn't enthrall me at the time but in hindsight it wasn't a bad one
whatever the outcome the majority would have to agree we have done it the right way this time so we should be excited :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

redback wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
You're an optimist!

In 2002 when we were penalised, people were saying it would take 7 years to recover from the mess.

As if Elliot had not done enough damage, as one last nail in the coffin he appointed Pagan which turned into another disaster and ensured multiple wooden spoons.

Remarkably, a good decision was finally made and Ratten lifted us off the bottom and into the finals (even though our list was still pretty crap).

Then came the most majestic decision the club had made in many a year (NOT). The appointment of the Madhouse. This decision was devastating and did enormous damage to the club.

The list has now been completely refurbished and hope has once again returned to the club.

If we beat Richmond the fixture for the first 5 or 6 rounds really works in our favour.

Go Blues!

totally agree
i have to say, rattens appointment didn't enthrall me at the time but in hindsight it wasn't a bad one
whatever the outcome the majority would have to agree we have done it the right way this time so we should be excited :thumbsup:

I think we blew a massive opportunity to reset the club and win a flag in that 2008-2012 period. Judd & Fev in their primes, plus all those high draft picks. Ratten and those others in key positions at the club during that period should have set us up for sustained success. In other words, what Bolton et al are doing now should have happened back then. The Pagan & Malthouse periods were obviously failures too, but Ratten tends to get let off the hook. Malthouse made lots of mistakes but I think we sometimes overestimate what he inherited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm 
formerly BlueRob

aboynamedsue wrote:
redback wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
You're an optimist!

Go Blues!

totally agree

I think we blew a massive opportunity to reset the club and win a flag in that 2008-2012 period. Judd & Fev in their primes, plus all those high draft picks. Ratten and those others in key positions at the club during that period should have set us up for sustained success. In other words, what Bolton et al are doing now should have happened back then. The Pagan & Malthouse periods were obviously failures too, but Ratten tends to get let off the hook. Malthouse made lots of mistakes but I think we sometimes overestimate what he inherited.

Ratten took us from successive wooden spoons into the finals. During his time we recruited very badly ... I don't think that was Ratten's fault ... developing poor talent does not really help you. When you look at our rapid movement up the ladder ... not sure there was much more he could have with such a poor list. If you look at the curve before and after Ratten you get an idea of what a good job he did. Unfortunately many people were critical without understanding that we had a crap list ... this led to the dumbest decision we ever made ... MADHOUSE :hitcomputer:
:banghead:

We are in much better shape talent wise now thankfully. We need to start moving upwards within the next 2 years. I reckon we will surprise many. I am so excited about this year.

I will be there on that 1st Thursday.

Go BLUES!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Had Ratten stayed, well we will never know but those who slag off at him after where he got us have short memories.
He now oversees the midfield in the most successful team of the modern era under the man who may well end up the most successful coach in history.
He should have stayed. One thing is certain. He couldn't have done any worse than Malthouse did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
redback wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
You're an optimist!

Go Blues!

totally agree

2 players and a few high draft picks doesn't equate to automatic success, there are plenty of examples and there are also plenty of examples that surprise each year (both sliders and climbers)
as bbw has mentioned he took us from spooners to finalists so that is his record, everything else is personal opinion
malthouse took over a previous final experienced side with unprecedented injuries and crippled us back to the spoon

now hopefully it looks like we can have something to look forward to in the future and by all accounts we all agree and look forward to that :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:47 am 
Geoff Southby

redback wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
redback wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
billc3 wrote:
You're an optimist!

Go Blues!

totally agree

2 players and a few high draft picks doesn't equate to automatic success

Exactly my point. If we’d had better coaching, development and list management during that period we would’ve set ourselves up for sustained success and won #17 by now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 am 
John James

Only 56 days to go

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:

Exactly my point. If we’d had better coaching, development and list management during that period we would’ve set ourselves up for sustained success and won #17 by now.

rattens was as it turned out not half bad but was let down by his support network
the development and the drafting (apart from the well documented #1's) was below par and the trading and list management was pathetic
then we went one step further, sacked ratten made him the scapegoat and hired the self serving messiah who did destroy the rest of our short term competitiveness
finally back on track with a new breed of coach, a list manager with foresight and a club with a better sense of direction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 am 
Rod Ashman

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, everyones an expert. 2018 awaits.Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
I already have a good feel about this one.

:smoking:

I don't. Knowing us, it will be the start of the tank, once in a generation player up for grabs .... :razz:

Well you can't really blame Silvagni & Brodie for dreaming a while? Ghis year's draft is an opportunity to pick up a champ, the top 5 or 6 will be absolutely exceptional footballers. Wining an extra 1 or 2 games in a development year makes little difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 am 
formerly BlueRob

carntheblues wrote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, everyones an expert. 2018 awaits.Go Blues!

Didn't take much hindsight to see what a stuff up the Ratten sacking and the Madhouse appointment was. Many people saw the outcome at the time and expressed their concerns.

Thankfully we are now taking a different approach to our coaching appointments. It looks like we have stepped away from knee jerk decisions as far as coaching appointments go. If only we had the same patience with Ratten as Richmond had with Hardwick and Geelong with Thompson.

Anyway ... back to the main topic. I really believe we will win this first match ... Something in the Air (Thunderclap Newman).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

BigBlueWave wrote:
Thankfully we are now taking a different approach to our coaching appointments. It looks like we have stepped away from knee jerk decisions as far as coaching appointments go. If only we had the same patience with Ratten as Richmond had with Hardwick and Geelong with Thompson.

If only we had the proper appointment process in place before we gave Ratten the job.

Anyway, back to round 1. I’m not going to watch it. I’ll be watching the ‘72 GF DVD again instead..... :smoking:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:24 am 
John Nicholls

aboynamedsue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

If only we had the proper appointment process in place before we gave Ratten the job.

Anyway, back to round 1. I’m not going to watch it. I’ll be watching the ‘72 GF DVD again instead..... :smoking:

Ppl living off wins in `72, `81, `95 is partly what got us into this mess. Go to the game and get behind the club reborn! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Ppl living off wins in `72, `81, `95 is partly what got us into this mess. Go to the game and get behind the club reborn! :thumbsup:

robbie I am living off '68, '70, '72, '79 '81, '82, '87, and '95. But I go to the games and I did in the early 2000s too. There are the supporters who stay with the club through thick and thin.

That one might say is also part of the cause amongst many. Believing the power brokers knew what they were doing when it was more about the glory of a seat on the board than what was best for the club.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 am 
Rod Ashman

Back to the topic.
My round 1 team at the moment is:

Williamson Jones Plowman
Byrne Weitering Marchbank
Simpson Cripps E Curnow
Garlett C Curnow SPS
Wright Casboult Pickett

Kruezer Kennedy Murphy

Lang Fisher Cunningham Dow

Against Richmond we need speed not size, hence I have left Mckay out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 pm 
Robert Walls

Assuming that being part of the leadership group means you're a good chance of lining up in rnd #1:

Plowman - A. Silvagni - Jones
Byrne - Marchbank - Simpson
Murphy - E. Curnow - SPS
C. Curnow - Weitering - Pickett
J. Silvagni - Casboult - Wright

Kreuzer - Cripps - Kennedy

Dow - Lang - Garlett - Fisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
Back to the topic.

Williamson Jones Plowman
Simpson Cripps E Curnow
Garlett C Curnow SPS
Wright Casboult Pickett

Kruezer Kennedy Murphy

Is Casboult faster than McKay?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Back to the topic.

Williamson Jones Plowman
Simpson Cripps E Curnow
Garlett C Curnow SPS
Wright Casboult Pickett

Kruezer Kennedy Murphy

I dont think so.

Is Casboult faster than McKay?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
Back to the topic.

Williamson Jones Plowman
Simpson Cripps E Curnow
Garlett C Curnow SPS
Wright Casboult Pickett

Kruezer Kennedy Murphy

I think its anyone from Williamson, Byrne, Mullett, Cuningham, Garlett and maybe OBrien for those 2 back line spots.

I dont think youre that far off.

Cripps Kennedy Murphy and Kreuzer on the ball, with support from Ed and Simmo on the wings.

Garlett and SPS bring outside speed as high forwards.

I'm loving this squad even without Doc and Gibbs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluechampion wrote:
Assuming that being part of the leadership group means you're a good chance of lining up in rnd #1:

Plowman - A. Silvagni - Jones
Byrne - Marchbank - Simpson
Murphy - E. Curnow - SPS
C. Curnow - Weitering - Pickett
J. Silvagni - Casboult - Wright

Kreuzer - Cripps - Kennedy

Dow - Lang - Garlett - Fisher

Im with you on that too.

I agree with Murphs description of Alex Silvagni.

If we are playing for a win (not development), based on form an injury free Alex Silvagni would be in the backline.

Mongel, brute force, enforcer and beats his opponent too, as he showed against Buddy last year.

Ive got Weiters as a floating CHF.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next