Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

You know what, I'm not too fazed about this.

Yes, big losses do hurt, and to capitulate like that was disappointing.

But in retrospect we were [REDACTED] before the opening bounce. We were against the form team of the comp, in need of percentage, and on their own turf.

Our Grand Final was last week, and that's what I choose to dwell on going into preseason.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Jw hen was the last time a side had 5 scoring shots

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

One positive... now its cricket season

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Last week I got emotional nourishment - this week I spewed up.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hornet wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Port are the absolute epitome of flat-track bullies. Bring their full fury on crap teams but run away like scared kids when faced with a finals contender.

That's so 2011...

Difference between Port and us in 2011 is that we were competitive against the top 4. Port have just been thrashed by them bar Geelong where a Charlie Dixon brain fade cost them the game. Flat track bullies ae those that thrash bottom sides but get thrashed by sides above them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

Christ, I just realised Port might get Essendon* next week (i.e. Essendon* survives to see another week) and threw up in my mouth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
Christ, I just realised Port might get Essendon** next week (i.e. Essendon** survives to see another week) and threw up in my mouth.

Port will get Melbourne or West Coast. Essendon* will get Sydney (or Richmond if they lose to St.Kilda).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 am 
Geoff Southby

Time for the next phase of the reset:
New leaders are a must. Thanks Murph, you gave it your best shot but it's time to move on.
Reckon we ll be pretty busy during trade week, and knowing SOS, there's a few surprises in store.
We need to nail this trade/draft period and the list will really start taking shape.
Time to move on the dead wood.
Bye to Daisy, Graham, KJ, Levi, Buckley, Sheehan, Summer, Palmer, JGM, Gorringe
Thin ice but safe: White, Kerridge, Boekhurst (if not traded), Smedts, Rowe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Not sure why JGM comes into it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:04 am 
Ken Hunter

I was just starting to get excited about summer too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

100 point turn around from the last time we played them. I noticed Bolton didn't bring that stat up im presser like he did last week with Hawks
They actually looked good in the first half had some chances that they butchered.
Swans had been out of the blocks quickly over the last 4 or 5 games and I thought despite the 16 points at quarter time we were right in it.
At half time we should have been in front.
2nd half was a disgrace.
You have to feel for Jones he has 6 months to try and forget about Buddy.
Season to me was treading water we conceded more points than last year although it appeared that our defense was better.
The side picked up and played solid footy when ASOS came in and fell away a fair bit when he got injured.
I hope he gets promoted to primary list and him and Jones solidify the back half.
Need some of the young midfielders to come on and more depth.
And if Levi is our focal point up forward next year it will be another miserable year

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It was awful, but at least any rose coloured glasses are now removed. A good wake up call going into the off season. There is still a lot of work to be done.

I don't like it, but have to agree with the sentiments regarding Murphy. His effort against (I think it was) Nic Newman on the boundary where Newman just shrugged him off was as piss weak an effort as you would see from a captain as you would ever see. In fact, I can't think of one other captain in the AFL that would allow that to happen. It is indicative of the player Murphy is and is simply unacceptable. That's not a leader.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:15 am 
Rod Ashman

Sydney Blue wrote:
100 point turn around from the last time we played them. I noticed Bolton didn't bring that stat up im presser like he did last week with Hawks
They actually looked good in the first half had some chances that they butchered.
Swans had been out of the blocks quickly over the last 4 or 5 games and I thought despite the 16 points at quarter time we were right in it.
2nd half was a disgrace.
Season to me was treading water we conceded more points than last year although it appeared that our defense was better.
The side picked up and played solid footy when ASOS came in and fell away a fair bit when he got injured.
I hope he gets promoted to primary list and him and Jones solidify the back half.
And if Levi is our focal point up forward next year it will be another miserable year

We were right in it until the 22 minute mark of the 3rd. Still 3 goals the difference and creating enough to stay in touch.
Mentioned earlier it was 12 goals to 1 from there so an unfortunate way to end the last 38 minutes of the season.
Agree on ASOS who completely nullified Buddy first time around. Take Buddy out yesterday and it's a different game.
Levi was either injured yesterday or his mind was elsewhere... I don't remember him launching at one ball.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Didn't get to see much of the game. Agree it was a very disappointing way to finish the season. Yet my main worry at the moment is Byrne.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sydney Blue wrote:
2nd half was a disgrace.

We had a pretty good year. Ultra competitive most weeks giving near every side a miserable time, even though we were losing more and more players. 7 time we led during the last qtr and lost. Given we lowered our age profile this year and played so much youth the season went pretty well. Only game they really embarrassed me all year was the Brisbane game.

As for Levi, 34 goals as a forward/ruck in a side that was ultra-defensive with poor delivery going forward, was a pretty good effort. Other clubs obviously think so. He'll have Curnow and McKay next year with him with another year under their belt. He'll either take our offer, apparently 2 years x 450k (about his worth), or we'll get a good compo pick for him. Nice upgrade from 3rd round of a rookie draft.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Yeah it's a pretty bitter way to go into the off-season. Would love to see what Murphy is worth.

I'd take half a mouldy ham sandwich. If someone offered a top 20 pick I'd piss myself laughing. We're not going anywhere whilst we have Murphy as our captain.

He's a good ordinary player these days with so-so disposal (these are his strong points) but leadership just isn't a part of his make up.

If I look back on the great Carlton captains they've been players who could impose themselves on a game and inspire those around them.

Docherty has that.

Cripps has that.

Murphy doesn't.

Murphy's about as inspirational as a piece of belly button lint. When your captain gets ragdolled on a regular basis and can't stick a tackle what does that say to the rest of the players?

It was a terrible decision when he was made captain and it'd be a worse one to keep him in that position.

We're apparently in the middle of a reset. Time to reset the leadership.

Docherty captain.

Cripps vice captain.

No stupid bullshit multiple vices and deputy vices where no-one has to take responsibility.

Time to do it now.

Would make a great episode of The Journey.

Ahh the Good Old Days!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sydney Blue wrote:
2nd half was a disgrace.

And if Levi isn't in our forward line next year it will be an even worse year! :razz:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

CarltonClem wrote:
Our midfield lacked cohesion and butchered the ball badly.

Murphy's defensive efforts weren't good enough. The butchering of the ball by midfield was infuriating.

Intensity was poor and for many playing for their careers it wasn't good enough.

Supply to their forward line was too slick, Jones couldn't do much about it but I think should have halved more contests.

Hate Swans supporters, their knowledge of the game is the worst in the AFL.

Ahem!!. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:53 pm 
Robert Walls

The last quarter was the worst for the year and would be be among the worst since Bolton took over. I am just putting it down to a mentally checked out team with nothing to play for as that type of effort has largely been eradicated.

Trade and draft. Well done to Boekhorst for giving himself a chance, not sure it will save him though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

In the first 15 minutes I thought it was going to be an avalanche.
In the last 15 minutes I knew the boys were caving in.
The Buddy show was taking centre stage.

The middle part (about 2 quarters worth) before the 22 minute mark of the 3rd and after the 15 minute mark of the 1st was very good.
We had control of the ball, and were winning the 50/50's against the form team of the comp on their home ground.
Impressive in that period.

Boys came off the ground exhausted at half time. They had given it their all.
That tells us they need to do a big preseason and build their stamina. Maybe 2 more preseasons to catch up to benchmark of comp.
I'm sure they realised that after this match.

I like what we achieved this year. Not because I'm satisfied with missing finals. But, we are coming from a long way back.
The kids dropped a quarter here and then which cost us games, sometimes it was just a couple of turnovers which cost us games. Last night was 2 full quarters we went missing.
Maybe it the last game of the year and the players lost desire. Nevertless got a lot of work to do for us to run our games with the best/ finalists.

Probably could have been a better forwardline with Waite, Garlett and Betts but Malthouse didn't rate them.
We've moved on since then, and can't get that trio back.
McKay and SOS2 will be better next year.

Jones didn't have Plowman to work in tandem as the 3rd man up, and imo team defense was amiss last night.
Jones played 10-15 metres off Buddy to cut off his leads but that left him in a very vulnerable position.
ACOS/Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman missing from our backline made a huge difference.
The big boys were missed as Swans had Tippett 200cm Reid 200cm Buddy 196cm and Sinclair 200cm stretching our defence.
Jones did well considering the powerhouse freak superstar athlete was on fire from the start, hence 10 goals, and the Swans looked for him.
It was a tsunami of supply.

What happened in the midfield was wher our glaring glaring problem was.
Kreuzer aside, I think Gibbs was tagged out beautifully by Swans, which left Murphy, Fish and SPS to fight above their weight.
I think I saw Graham do a couple of good things, but saw huge deficiencies in his game, I've known for a long time.

Sorry, but I expected more from the captain. 32 touches. Not bad for an outside player, not for a captain leading the midfield.
Once the Swans got it in the midfield they sent it out with quick hands and cut us up from there.
Swans were quite impressive TBH, so its not a huge fail for our kids, but there were a lot of question marks about our midfield.

Cripps and Curnow are sooooo important for us in the midfield, and badly missed their big bodies.
We need mids, good sized strong mids as the outside speed with Boekhurst and Pickett is a great find.

Casboult was lost....I don't think his mind was on footy. Moreso daddyhood.

Charlie will put on a bit of muscle over summer. It will do him a world of good. Lone hand at times.

Bottom 4 team this year. In fact 16th. It showed, but we are playing kids and rebuilding.
The foundations are there for everyone to see. Future stars on every line, but we need a few more.
Daisy, Smedts, Graham, Kerridge, need to be replaced by better midfielders. Add another for Simmo too.
Murphy is better off focussing on his game as an outside wingman who links up. Hard ball gets are not his place.
Change the captain over summer would be good for Carlton IMO.

Carlton Draft was flat at the SCG, I tied 3 different shops, and $2 pies were offered only at selected outlets. Many like me couldn't find them. Isn't there a law against that?

Can't wait for the era we dominate the Swans in Melbourne and Sydney. :fight:
I like Buddy. He's amazing to watch.But they are a smug lot with Buddy up here. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next