Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

My Carlton team vs West Coast

Defenders
Plowman Jones Weitering
Docherty Marchbank Simpson

Midfielders
Cuningham Petrevski-Seton Byrne

Forwards
J. Silvagni McKay C. Curnow
Wright Casboult Pickett

Followers
Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Interchange
Kerridge Armfield Fisher Lamb

Emergencies
Thomas Macreadie Boekhorst

I'm not a Thomas hater I just think that Cuningham is better.

I think that Boekhorst is unlucky to miss out as he was okay but Harry McKay should be in if he's fit.

Cuningham, if he's fit, and Petrevski-Seton can rotate time playing Boekhorst's role and on ball as well.

I'd give Williamson a week in the reserves and see what he can produce.

Happy for any feedback.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited by BennyP30 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Great post, Bondi and I agree with it in principle.
BUT
There is an in between.
My question was simply, why inject four runners into the team and not play to their strengths? I thought he was going to try and use pace to get a break on the opposition coach's strategy but he didn't and they ran us ragged for fifteen minutes and from there is was always going to be hard. Had they kicked straight in the second half it would have been a 50 point plus defeat.
Week after week we get exposed for not defending the corridor. The setup is too wide in the middle and caters for teams that like to play the boundary or are forced to by our pressure. Coaches see this and play the corridor and by the time we realize we have to change something we are already four or five goals in arrears.
I find it frustrating that we don't set up before the first bounce to counter what other coaches see as a weakness.
I know what we are doing and I agree with it entirely and I realize we are going to take time but if we a re leaking like a sieve from half forward week after week when we are supposedly rebuilding from a defensive stance, it seems we need to look at it.
I am not against BB at all, though I have been critical of his not reacting quickly on game day.
I think we are on the right track but that doesn't mean I or anybody else for that matter shouldn't be critical if we think it's warranted.
He's not the messiah. He can, does and will continue to make mistakes as well as good decisions.
Thanks for going to so much trouble with that post. It's one of the reasons we mostly see eye to eye.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:36 pm 
formerly King Kenny

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Big ground, dry conditions, everything in place for a fast, run and carry game.

Pity we don't play that way.

Here's the plan. We fly over early, have a great preparation, let WCE get out to a five goal lead in the first quarter when they take us by surprise and run it through the corridor from half back. We then play chippy chippy footy and turn what could be a fast, free flowing spectacle into a low scoring, boring slugfest. We claw our way back into the game with over possessive footy, never using the speed we have in the team for anything other than to get a few htb decisions for running down their runners. WCE finish off the game and win by twenty points They score seventy five we score just under fifty.

TC blame Levi for missing a goal with three minutes to go and we get ready for the following week.

You've lost your way BS.
Ive known you and your opinions since around 2002.
We care from the same genre and we've always held similar beliefs.
You were one who stuck up for all things Blue.
You could identify the flickers of life where others couldn't.
The class of Houlihan was one of those who were the much needed outside players we needed who could deliver.

During the Mathouse disaster you hated his boring game plan along the boundary and his no B plan.
Like most Bluebaggers, you, but more importantly, even our Executive gave in to the need to rebuild the club properly.

The process to find a new coach Tick
The signs from the get go first few BB games in the NAB cup vs Hawks and Swans Tick.
We need to turnover the list aggressively and go young. Tick
We expected floggings but despite the youthful profile of our team we didn't/ haven't been copping 100 point hidings we wree accuctomed to under Pagan, Ratts and Malhouse. Tick

We couldn't defend for the previous 13 years.
We'd get into a shoot out with cracking speed from the Amigos and Judd and his No 1 draftees, and a beacon target called Fevola.
We won spoons, but we rose to 5th or 6th then fell. We didn't get far, because Ratten didn't have a defensive mindset for the pure defensive beasts like Swans and Eagles closed us down as did the Bombers that day they unleashed their drugged up team of thugs.

Open running games must also be complimented by a dependable defensive midset.
BB tried to get our team to play a faster line breaking game in the early rounds, and you and blind Freddy could see we were not ready for that and had to resort to what we could do...and you know what we have won games and got close too. 11 games all up which gave us happiness and bitterness, but we put up a fight.

One Boekhurst running on the outside doesn't make a game plan. Surely you get that. I know he can run and bounce, but he needs to show more, and we need players in front of him to take advantage of his 5-10 runs along the wing.

IMO BB is a scapegoat for you and a couple of others.
We don't have the neck speed across the board to conjur up a game plan to exploit that.
We are obviously building a team from defense: Weiters, Marchy and Plow.
We recruited tall forwards to develop McKay, Curnow, Silvagni.
We know what comes next and we've heard it from BBs lips.
He isn't denying we need midfield depth and outside speed.
He knows that, we know that, you know that.

We haven't got the cattle to play the game you are looking for.
The game evolves and you get ugly games and pretty games.
I still think the 2005 and 6 GFs between Swans and Eagles were 2 of the toughest and best Gfs ive seen.

We are in th midst of a rebuild and we are developing and mate, after we have the list sorted please give the kids a chance to physically grow too.
It will take a couple more years, but at least we are getting there.

You've got to look for green shoots and respect what BB is trying to do whether its your style or not.
They are kids. They are not full grown bodies like Crows, or drugged up beasts like the brave Bombers.
Remember where we've come from
Remember what we have improved.
Remember what we are developing.
Remember what we need to go out and get over the next 2 years.
Give us a break.

Wow, that is a fine read Bondi.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm 
Bert Deacon

need to find a way to fill the space where JOSH .K leads into if we can somehow manage this should be a close game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Seems McKay might be a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:07 pm 
formerly King Kenny

jamespul65 wrote:
need to find a way to fill the space where JOSH .K leads into if we can somehow manage this should be a close game.

Marchbank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The Normal One wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

Marchbank

Seems to have really battled since returning from injury

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

Marchbank

Was on the wing first game back, last week was better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The Normal One wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

Marchbank

Was on the wing first game back, last week was better.

No he wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

IN Byrne Jaksch

OUT: Smedts Lamb

I'd like to see Boeky retained for a few more weeks to see what improvement he shows plus put him on display incase of a WCE trade ala Kane Lucas.

We know what we get from Lamb, and I'm a fan of his for the now (till a better option comes along, then he's depth), so he can take a rest.

Smedts can have a rest after his poor outing last week.

Jaksch at FF if McKay isn't ready to be recalled. I'd like to see Jaksch if MC feel he's earned his spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Great post, Bondi and I agree with it in principle.
BUT
There is an in between.

My question was simply, why inject four runners into the team and not play to their strengths? I thought he was going to try and use pace to get a break on the opposition coach's strategy but he didn't and they ran us ragged for fifteen minutes and from there is was always going to be hard. Had they kicked straight in the second half it would have been a 50 point plus defeat.

You seem really upset with the first 15 minutes. We all were, but BB showed a great ability to stem the flow and compete. We were kicking goals and they weren't. Had we kicked better and able to sustain the pressure longer we would have won

Week after week we get exposed for not defending the corridor.

I think we do. I think you have to recognise that teams like shot gun Bumbers actually play a corridor style game. We didn't allow it. The Bumbers just do it week in week out. Its their modus operandi. Nothing to do with BB IMO.

The setup is too wide in the middle and caters for teams that like to play the boundary or are forced to by our pressure. Coaches see this and play the corridor and by the time we realize we have to change something we are already four or five goals in arrears.

You don't think the players not being switched on as the culprit for our poor starts? A midfield lacking depth and missing its best clearance player and best midfield tagger has more to do with our inability to win it out of there hence gain possession. If we have the ball, they don't score. If they have the ball, they can score.

I find it frustrating that we don't set up before the first bounce to counter what other coaches see as a weakness.

Dunno. Your guess is we don't set up to counter what other coaches see as our weakness...I don't know how you know or see that.

I know what we are doing and I agree with it entirely and I realize we are going to take time but if we a re leaking like a sieve from half forward week after week when we are supposedly rebuilding from a defensive stance, it seems we need to look at it.

IMO We are breaking down at Half Forward because we don't have our forwardline developed as we would like them to be. Curnow and Silvagni try their guts out but they are 19yo. Lamb is a tagger and a harasser. I know that for fact. Wright plays deeper. Our misfield isn't adding pressure following the ball down...perhaps something to do with speed. I think speed and midfield depth will solve that problem and I've heard it mentioned time and time again from BB

I am not against BB at all, though I have been critical of his not reacting quickly on game day.

Debateable. BB has seen all the scenarios with Clarkson and knows more about the modern game than previous coaches and most going around IMO. Clarkson is a great tactician. BB did his apprenticeship under Clarkson. Maybe the players don't react quickly. Maybe some players are carrying injuries worse than we think. Maybe Its not important right now as we are developing.

I think we are on the right track but that doesn't mean I or anybody else for that matter shouldn't be critical if we think it's warranted.

Absolutely. and I'm comfortable to debate any issue from start to finish with you because you do bring reason to the table, and in this case provide food for thought and Ive responded.

He's not the messiah. He can, does and will continue to make mistakes as well as good decisions.

He's been pretty good and consistent with message, and development plan thus far. No need for a Messiah.He got sacked to make way for BB.

Thanks for going to so much trouble with that post. sorry about all the typos..I didn't check...made it difficult to read TBH

It's one of the reasons we mostly see eye to eye.

Good onya BS. We are heading in the right direction. You heart is in the right spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If we can contain Kennedy and make Hurn accountable at the other end, we might be in with a shot here. Need to put the screw in stops in the boots though - it's gonna be a wet ground.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

WEST COAST
In:M.Priddis, N.Vardy, L.Jetta
Out: W.Schofield, C.Masten, M.Karpany

CARLTON
In: T.Williamson
Out: C.Marchbank (arm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:31 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

CARLTON'S ROUND 21 TEAM:

Backs 15. Sam Docherty 14. Liam Jones 33. Jarrod Pickett
Half-backs 20. Lachie Plowman 23. Jacob Weitering 1. Jack Silvagni
Centreline 6. Kade Simpson 46. Matthew Wright 12. Blaine Boekhorst
Half-forwards 27. Dennis Armfield 30. Charlie Curnow 13. Jed Lamb
Forwards 11. Sam Kerridge 41. Levi Casboult 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton
Followers 8. Matthew Kreuzer 4. Bryce Gibbs 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange 25. Zac Fisher 31. Tom Williamson 39. Dale Thomas
16. Billie Smedts
Emergencies 18. Kristian Jaksch 7. Dylan Buckley 28. David Cuningham
In: Williamson

Out: Marchbank (arm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dominant midfield.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

so is KJ travelling emergency ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

Reckon i'd have played Cuningham.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
so is KJ travelling emergency ?

You know what a traveller is?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

jim wrote:
Reckon i'd have played Cuningham.

Especially if it's going to be wet.

Couple of guys lucky to hold their spots

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next