Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
Hornet wrote:
So much for Norf tanking...

Wooden spoon for us suddenly is looking more likely.

Do you reckon Brisbane will win two more games than us before the season finishes? I reckon they'll finish on the bottom and we'll have pick 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:
Hornet wrote:

Do you reckon Brisbane will win two more games than us before the season finishes? I reckon they'll finish on the bottom and we'll have pick 2

They're a chance against GC and Norf... both at the Gabba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:35 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

Hornet wrote:
Sin City wrote:
kezza wrote:
Hornet wrote:

They're a chance against GC and Norf... both at the Gabba

No chance that the Suns will tank against their neighbour. Why? Because they'd love to see them with a spoon. If they lose it's because they're shit.
Oh, but they are obviously. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

Win today & we keep the finals free of convicted drug cheats

How could you not want that?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lions running over the top of the Dogs...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Effes wrote:

They're a different team when all of Beams, Rocky and Zorko are playing. As soon as one is out they're terrible and don't have the depth to cover them. Reminds me of another team I know...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sin City wrote:
Effes wrote:

They're a different team when all of Beams, Rocky and Zorko are playing. As soon as one is out they're terrible and don't have the depth to cover them. Reminds me of another team I know...

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 am 
Craig Bradley

We can't beat the Swans in Sydney and are long odds to beat the Dawks <pray emoticon>

It all comes down to Lions v Norf in rd23 and we should start preparing for spoon x5

Even though a few of us predicted this before round 1, it will be big deflater in a season that has shown some great promise...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 am 
Craig Bradley

Why will it be a great deflater? If Brisbane wins, then Brisbane wins. Has nothing to do with us. Doesn't have any relevance to our own performance. And if it gives us extra leverage going into the draft and trade period, then all the better.

I agree there's some 'shame' in finishing bottom. But at least now, with SOS and co, we're well-positioned to exploit the advantage. I haven't been this excited about our list for over 20 years. And I'm looking forward to being even more excited about it in a couple of months.

Post subject: The winning conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I honestly didn't know how many spoons we had won. Stopped counting after 1.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:50 am 
Bruce Doull

dane wrote:

Yep - like the Fast and Furious films, never paid attention after finding the first one shithouse.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
dane wrote:

Yep - like the Fast and Furious films, never paid attention after finding the first one shithouse.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

Stefchook wrote:
Why will it be a great deflater? If Brisbane wins, then Brisbane wins. Has nothing to do with us. Doesn't have any relevance to our own performance. And if it gives us extra leverage going into the draft and trade period, then all the better.

I agree there's some 'shame' in finishing bottom. But at least now, with SOS and co, we're well-positioned to exploit the advantage. I haven't been this excited about our list for over 20 years. And I'm looking forward to being even more excited about it in a couple of months.

Because it will mean, once again, that we were the worst performing team in the league. 18th out of 18. If that's not deflating then what is?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigKev wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

Because it will mean, once again, that we were the worst performing team in the league. 18th out of 18. If that's not deflating then what is?

50,000 members signed after we finished 14th with only 7 wins and 79% last year.

The commentary on the Blues this year has been much more positive than last year and the only criticism we've been dealing with of late is that we score less than every team, and our game plan is effective but dour. But we have teenagers Curnow, Silvagni, McKay and the likes of Pickett and SPS who will make that forwardline sing with another preseason.

5 wins and 7, maybe 9 winnable losses for a very young team with 5 Rising Stars, add a No 1 draft selection, another preseason for our teenagers and a good Trade, and we are in a better situation than any of the Malthouse years, let alone the beginning of this year.

Just about every footy fan I speak with thinks we are going to be a strong team under this Bolton guy and with all these good kids and GWS players.
So, our position regardless if we finish 17th or 18th is not as dire as some think. We are not going to get any more Friday Night Games next year, regardless.

As for next year...we wont be thinking about spoons nor our dour defensive game plan next year. We will frustrate with our defensive game plan, and destroy with our attacking game when the opposition least expect it. We saw signs of that against WCE on their turf.

I bet our sponsors stick with us.
I bet we are a destination club.
I bet will be more of a destination club by the end of next year for players, sponsors and members.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Really don't care too much about where we finish up if we don't win the flag providing I can see real progress from year to year. Losing grand finals is worse than winning spoons as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer it to take longer to build in order for it to deliver longer success than cut corners and end up with an almost.

The club is more switched on to the necessities of the competition as it now is than it has been since the pre AFL days.

Calling for short cuts and changes to the plan because you prefer the number 17 to the number 18 is ridiculous.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:
Really don't care too much about where we finish up if we don't win the flag providing I can see real progress from year to year. Losing grand finals is worse than winning spoons as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer it to take longer to build in order for it to deliver longer success than cut corners and end up with an almost.

The club is more switched on to the necessities of the competition as it now is than it has been since the pre AFL days.

Calling for short cuts and changes to the plan because you prefer the number 17 to the number 18 is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is calling for short cuts or changes to the plan. The old plan was ensure we have pick 1 no matter how badly it stuffed the culture. Because pick 1 was the answer.

One thing we surely have learnt by now is that there is no such thing as a meaningless or pointless win. Winning culture is good culture when it is done on the strength of young improving talent. And for that reason alone, a win against Hawthorn would be massive for this club.

And as for preference of number 17 to 18... guilty as charged. If it doesn't bother you, that's your prerogative. I just hate being viewed by the rest of the competition the same way St. Kilda have been viewed for their entire history.

And pick 1 is not the answer.

(just read the list management thread) :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

BigKev wrote:

And 17 out of 18 is not deflating?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
BigKev wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

50,000 members signed after we finished 14th with only 7 wins and 79% last year.

The commentary on the Blues this year has been much more positive than last year and the only criticism we've been dealing with of late is that we score less than every team, and our game plan is effective but dour. But we have teenagers Curnow, Silvagni, McKay and the likes of Pickett and SPS who will make that forwardline sing with another preseason.

5 wins and 7, maybe 9 winnable losses for a very young team with 5 Rising Stars, add a No 1 draft selection, another preseason for our teenagers and a good Trade, and we are in a better situation than any of the Malthouse years, let alone the beginning of this year.

Just about every footy fan I speak with thinks we are going to be a strong team under this Bolton guy and with all these good kids and GWS players.
So, our position regardless if we finish 17th or 18th is not as dire as some think. We are not going to get any more Friday Night Games next year, regardless.

As for next year...we wont be thinking about spoons nor our dour defensive game plan next year. We will frustrate with our defensive game plan, and destroy with our attacking game when the opposition least expect it. We saw signs of that against WCE on their turf.

I bet our sponsors stick with us.
I bet we are a destination club.
I bet will be more of a destination club by the end of next year for players, sponsors and members.

Great post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I'd rather our young guns be wrapped in cotton wool these last few games. We don't want any serious injuries at this time of year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

No conundrum at all