Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Well, any doubts that KJ is GAWN are officially GAWN.

What a shame. It would be very nice to have a talented tall in his early 20s pushing for selection; putting pressure on the likes of Weitering et al to keep performing.

I accept it's over now.

On the face of it, it does make a bit of a mockery of 'form based selection' though. While he hasn't always set the world on fire, he hasn't exactly had a bad year in the VFL. Over the season there's been a few guys given games who have shown less at VFL level this year than KJ. He is obviously persona non grata for whatever reason.

given he was a high profile trade for a 1st round pick you'd think the club would be more transparent with supporters as to why he's been 'persona non grata'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 pm 
Wayne Johnston

aboynamedsue wrote:

What a shame. It would be very nice to have a talented tall in his early 20s pushing for selection; putting pressure on the likes of Weitering et al to keep performing.

I accept it's over now.

On the face of it, it does make a bit of a mockery of 'form based selection' though. While he hasn't always set the world on fire, he hasn't exactly had a bad year in the VFL. Over the season there's been a few guys given games who have shown less at VFL level this year than KJ. He is obviously persona non grata for whatever reason.

Would be nice if they told us the reason he isn't getting a shot but they are probably not saying to protect him.

I reckon something happened that first pre season under Bolts. KJ was sent away from the club for a number of weeks if I recall.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:

I accept it's over now.

It would be nice if KJ did that. Shame he didn't.

In my opinion I think they honoured the 'form based selection' message up until last week when they gave Dylan and Sumner a game. But with 7 rounds to go I don't mind the shift in selection process. I truely believe that players we think showed form without being picked in the senior side mustn't have delivered on the specifics of what the coaches asked of them - despite high possessions or small bags of 3-4 goals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:

I accept it's over now.

It's an interesting one. Clearly something was a miss and there's more to the story than purely form. There must be something that the coaches saw that they didn't like. It's a shame considering what we gave up for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

club29 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I accept it's over now.

Would be nice if they told us the reason he isn't getting a shot but they are probably not saying to protect him.

I reckon something happened that first pre season under Bolts. KJ was sent away from the club for a number of weeks if I recall.

you'd think his player sponsor who has handed over thou$and$ would at least be entitled to an explanation :sly:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crippa wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I accept it's over now.

In my opinion I think they honoured the 'form based selection' message up until last week when they gave Dylan and Sumner a game. But with 7 rounds to go I don't mind the shift in selection process. I truely believe that players we think showed form without being picked in the senior side mustn't have delivered on the specifics of what the coaches asked of them - despite high possessions or small bags of 3-4 goals.

Absolutely. We can only form our view from what we see from the stands. We obviously don't know everything that goes on or what specific instructions each player has received before they run out, or how that players carries themselves around the club and on the track during the week.

Bolts has enough credits for me to assume KJ's treatment has been warranted. The reasons are not screamingly obvious to me from watching the VFL each week, but KJ obviously must keep failing to meet his KPIs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

At almost every media conference this year they ask Bolts when Harry will get a game. I would love them to ask him about KJ. I don't expect him to give away much, but for me it's a more interesting question. Harry is a kid; KJ is a first round pick who we traded hard for and now he can't get a game in the 17th placed side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Get a feeling we will regret this. Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crippa wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I accept it's over now.

Absolutely. We can only form our view from what we see from the stands. We obviously don't know everything that goes on or what specific instructions each player has received before they run out, or how that players carries themselves around the club and on the track during the week.

Bolts has enough credits for me to assume KJ's treatment has been warranted. The reasons are not screamingly obvious to me from watching the VFL each week, but KJ obviously must keep failing to meet his KPIs.

His attitude is poor and he gave up a long time ago, as I've said a few times. His attitude to training and so on is completely the opposite of what Bolton looks for in these guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:58 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

aboynamedsue wrote:
At almost every media conference this year they ask Bolts when Harry will get a game. I would love them to ask him about KJ. I don't expect him to give away much, but for me it's a more interesting question. Harry is a kid; KJ is a first round pick who we traded hard for and now he can't get a game in the 17th placed side.

Sixteenth. It's slightly better than what it seems atm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:58 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

SurreyBlue wrote:

What feeling do you get for why we'll regret it Surrey? Any inside info?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bolt from the Blue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Certainly comes from inside.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

dane wrote:
Bolt from the Blue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Certainly comes from inside.

I'm certainly interested in finding out where the regrets will come from. I'll come back tomorrow and see if there's any answers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
Maybe the plan is to bring Harry into the fwd Line to allow Charlie to spend more time in the midfield to cover for Cripps absence.

I like it!
Charlie should get a turn chasing the footy around the ground. If he has the tank he will be pretty hard to counter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 am 
Ken Hands

Bolts looked pretty frustrated last week so I expect the MC to try to pick the right side to win this game rather than be too speculative.

That said McKay might do well in the Sumner role. Much better chance to catch it when they kick it on his head.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 am 
Harry Vallence

McKay will play Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 am 
Craig Bradley

thanks for mail Deano - good match for him to play

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am 
Wayne Johnston

SurreyBlue wrote:

You reckon the team should just stay in Melbourne?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 am 
Horrie Clover

form based selection can only go so far
injuries, team balance and structure will mean that you may need to play players who have not warranted the spot based on form

no one has cemented the small fwd spot yet, so we keep trying players

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:41 am 
Harry Vallence

nck wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Crippa wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I accept it's over now.

His attitude is poor and he gave up a long time ago, as I've said a few times. His attitude to training and so on is completely the opposite of what Bolton looks for in these guys.

What's interesting is that SOS whilst he was at GWS flogged him off to us and now that SOS is here, KJ will get flogged off again.

Can't see us getting a reasonable pick for him.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next