Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm 
John Nicholls

scottopee wrote:
Rexy wrote:
scottopee wrote:
The natives are starting to get restless on this site. Loses are starting to bring out all the negative rubbish in the last few weeks maybe its just bringing out the negative posters. Not wishing to loose against Brisbane but if we do it isn't the end of the world and wont effect us going forward but maybe seel the careers of a few players.
I predicted around 5 wins this year which is where we are with a chance for a couple more. Personally been surprised with all the rookie draftees having an impact this year added to Marchbank fitting right in and Jones amazing comeback. Plenty of players are also having career years.

Yep game style and the way we play are important but would rather our kids continue to develop and play well. 5 rising stars this year (I don't really rate the rising star) but surely that shows everyone we are on the right track.

Patience...........Green shoots are happening every game.

what a boring place this would be if all we did was sing kumbaya every day

Slowly puts away guitar, puts camp fire out and tells everyone to go home :smoking:

If we are loose on the weekend we might lose. Then it would be another loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Good chance for the team to get away and change routine. Also have quite a few who will want to show something... On the other hand, it's been a long season and the efforts could be wearing a few down. We'll know in the first quarter, but my fear is the latter.
The complete sloppiness of last week reinforces that fear.
Anyway, while it is disappointing, we do have to keep an eye on the big picture.
Not sure, in terms of 'green shoots' any of us predicted how good a season we would have.

Go you good things

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

BigKev wrote:
I'm restless and I don't mind admitting it.

I was brought up believing that 8 years was the most I'd ever have to wait for a flag, (and that was only because we played cheats in the GF a couple of years earlier).

I don't like the new order.

I can sympathise with this. Even though there are signs that Carlton are doing things the right way this time, I don't get too carried away with "potential" these days. After all, we looked like we were on the up-and-up with Ratten's crew, then we had a bad season with injuries and the club panicked and went with the Madhouse. In the English football, my team Liverpool came close in 2008/09 and then their midfield general bailed; five years later they came even closer and their superstar striker bailed. In the American basketball, my team Utah went for the long rebuild and were getting better and better for 7 years, then when they were on the cusp of something special their best player pissed off in free agency with no compo. Between the three teams I support in this world, I've waited 22+26+28 (let's say I started supporting Utah in '89, they've never won anything) = 76 years for a league title. I no longer take for granted that gradual development will get you to the promised land. It doesn't necessarily matter - the Ratten era gave me some of my fondest memories as a Carlton supporter; we didn't win a flag but boy was it exciting watching that young, dynamic team grow - but it gets pretty bloody hard watching failure after failure, watching your team get hit by the avalanche at Camp 2 time after time. Sometimes you just bring on the gallows humour, other times you get a bit tired and say boy, I'm tired of being shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

I wonder if they'll try Boekhorst on Zorko again?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am 
Bruce Doull

Franc de Borges wrote:
Brisbane to skip out to an early seven goal lead. Nothing surer.

I vowed after that final that I'd never return to Brisbane under any circumstances.

I vowed I'd never vote for Kevin Rudd.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Stefchook wrote:
I wonder if they'll try Boekhorst on Zorko again?

It was nearly a career killer last year for him :sly:

Why not

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 pm 
Bert Deacon

we probably not expected to win this time ,considering our injuries and brisbane playing some good footy. This to me smells like a carlton victory .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:28 pm 
formerly King Kenny

GreatEx wrote:
BigKev wrote:
I'm restless and I don't mind admitting it.

I was brought up believing that 8 years was the most I'd ever have to wait for a flag, (and that was only because we played cheats in the GF a couple of years earlier).

I don't like the new order.

I can sympathise with this. Even though there are signs that Carlton are doing things the right way this time, I don't get too carried away with "potential" these days. After all, we looked like we were on the up-and-up with Ratten's crew, then we had a bad season with injuries and the club panicked and went with the Madhouse. In the English football, my team Liverpool came close in 2008/09 and then their midfield general bailed; five years later they came even closer and their superstar striker bailed. In the American basketball, my team Utah went for the long rebuild and were getting better and better for 7 years, then when they were on the cusp of something special their best player pissed off in free agency with no compo. Between the three teams I support in this world, I've waited 22+26+28 (let's say I started supporting Utah in '89, they've never won anything) = 76 years for a league title. I no longer take for granted that gradual development will get you to the promised land. It doesn't necessarily matter - the Ratten era gave me some of my fondest memories as a Carlton supporter; we didn't win a flag but boy was it exciting watching that young, dynamic team grow - but it gets pretty bloody hard watching failure after failure, watching your team get hit by the avalanche at Camp 2 time after time. Sometimes you just bring on the gallows humour, other times you get a bit tired and say boy, I'm tired of being shit.

We have two in common, but being a Lakers man, I know what a rebuild is all about. Lonzo Ball is the centre piece at the Lakers now, Lebron the next piece.

At Carlton we have the main pieces nearly lined up, (One more draft) then we go get our Lebron and George to complete the rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:33 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

My god I want to win this one too. I don't want the spoon. No way. Three games clear of the bottom pace setters? For free? I'll take it. :smile:
If in the sad event we do lose, I'm not giving up hope we can win one, possibly two more before the end of the year. But this site will explode in negativity and hopelessness if we lose. I know that and you know that too.
This year is as even as we've ever seen. Again, I want to see us win it and at least hope to as well.
The other one, or two wins, fingers crossed will come against Essendon* and Hawthorn. Pretty please Blues, make this happen. :smoking:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BRISBANE LIONS
In: D.Gardiner, M.Paparone, M.Close, J.Barrett
Out: N.Robertson (suspension)

CARLTON
In: D.Thomas, D.Armfield, B.Smedts, D.Cuningham, T.Williamson, H.Macreadie, H.McKay
Out: A.Silvagni (knee), D.Buckley (hamstring), L.Sumner, C.Byrne (groin)
New: Harry McKay (Gippsland U18)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
BRISBANE LIONS
In: D.Gardiner, M.Paparone, M.Close, J.Barrett
Out: N.Robertson (suspension)

CARLTON
In: D.Thomas, D.Armfield, B.Smedts, D.Cuningham, T.Williamson, H.Macreadie, H.McKay
Out: A.Silvagni (knee), D.Buckley (hamstring), L.Sumner, C.Byrne (groin)
New: Harry McKay (Gippsland U18)

that's a few talls in

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

CARLTON'S EXTENDED SQUAD:

Backs 20. Lachie Plowman 14. Liam Jones 15. Sam Docherty
Half-backs 26. Harrison Macreadie 23. Jacob Weitering 6. Kade Simpson
Centreline 46. Matthew Wright 4. Bryce Gibbs 39. Dale Thomas
Half-forwards 1. Jack Silvagni 41. Levi Casboult 13. Jed Lamb
Forwards 11. Sam Kerridge 30. Charlie Curnow 25. Zac Fisher
Followers 8. Matthew Kreuzer 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange from: 27. Dennis Armfield 12. Blaine Boekhorst 28. David Cuningham
32. Nick Graham 10. Harry McKay 16. Billie Smedts
31. Tom Williamson
In: Thomas, Armfield, Smedts, Cuningham, Williamson, Macreadie, McKay

Out: A.Silvagni (knee), Buckley (hamstring), Sumner (omitted), Byrne (groin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

McKay being gifted a game wouldn't worry me at all.

The problem is, Williamson and Cunningham are first 22 players and with Thomas and Macreadie already on the field.....there's no room for a gift!

I'm going to hazard a guess that Williamson won't get up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Good ins. We've missed Cuningham and Williamson. Hope we play McKay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

happy to see cunningham and williamson in.
Also hope Harry gets a gig, although expectations are low.
Feel for byrne and ASOS.
Like dennis but didn't see him blow the field away in the twos last week...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Time to give Harry a go I think. Away from the spotlight in Melbourne in a twilight Sunday Fox match might relieve a little pressure, and Brisbane aren't the strongest team defensively.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Maybe the plan is to bring Harry into the fwd Line to allow Charlie to spend more time in the midfield to cover for Cripps absence.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 pm 
Bob Chitty

mikeychook wrote:
McKay being gifted a game wouldn't worry me at all.

The problem is, Williamson and Cunningham are first 22 players and with Thomas and Macreadie already on the field.....there's no room for a gift!

I'm going to hazard a guess that Williamson won't get up.

Good guess. Willo would be named ahead of Macreadie if they were both fit so Willo must be questionable.

This is the perfect game for Harry to debut but I'm not convinced exactly how. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

Well, any doubts that KJ is GAWN are officially GAWN.

What a shame. It would be very nice to have a talented tall in his early 20s pushing for selection; putting pressure on the likes of Weitering et al to keep performing.

I accept it's over now.

On the face of it, it does make a bit of a mockery of 'form based selection' though. While he hasn't always set the world on fire, he hasn't exactly had a bad year in the VFL. Over the season there's been a few guys given games who have shown less at VFL level this year than KJ. He is obviously persona non grata for whatever reason.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next