Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ryan2000 wrote:
Im guessing McKay coming in means they're gonna be looking at Curnow playing more in the centre.

Either way - FFS, just leave somebody in the F50 arc!!!!!!

The Cats apparently used Dangerfield as a stay at home forward after his injury. Forced the opposition to remodel their defensive setup.
We could do worse than leave Harry inside the F50 all day and see what that does to the Lions defensive setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

No 'apparently' about it.... It worked well.. Always wonder why it is not done more

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

I don't think we will win and actually think we will struggle to win another this year.

BUT, I'm excited for all the youngsters playing to see what they can too, most of all Harry making his debut!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:56 pm 
Robert Walls

Crippa wrote:
tommi wrote:
Here's what I've heard.......

apparently he puts too much salt in his pumpkin
soup...!

everyone knows it's add to personal taste...!

kindest regards tommi

Did you hear that first hand?
Do you have proof?
How dare you have an onion!

EFA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:10 pm 
Robert Walls

club29 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Well, any doubts that KJ is GAWN are officially GAWN.

What a shame. It would be very nice to have a talented tall in his early 20s pushing for selection; putting pressure on the likes of Weitering et al to keep performing.

I accept it's over now.

On the face of it, it does make a bit of a mockery of 'form based selection' though. While he hasn't always set the world on fire, he hasn't exactly had a bad year in the VFL. Over the season there's been a few guys given games who have shown less at VFL level this year than KJ. He is obviously persona non grata for whatever reason.

Would be nice if they told us the reason he isn't getting a shot but they are probably not saying to protect him.

I reckon something happened that first pre season under Bolts. KJ was sent away from the club for a number of weeks if I recall.

Didn't he have some mystery illness???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think it's clear there's more to the KJ situation than just what's shown on the field, or else we'd have seen him by now. And I for one couldn't care less if the reason is kept under wraps.

Time for us all to move on and accept that we'll be looking for a new player sponsorship next year.

Meanwhile there's a new KPF getting his first taste that the club clearly feels has earned that right. This should be our focus this week.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
I think it's clear there's more to the KJ situation than just what's shown on the field, or else we'd have seen him by now. And I for one couldn't care less if the reason is kept under wraps.

Time for us all to move on and accept that we'll be looking for a new player sponsorship next year.

I don't think it's right that there's been no explanation.

Rather than a sense of inclusiveness which has been promoted heavily, there remains a sense of exclusiveness.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

99prelim wrote:
Crippa wrote:
tommi wrote:
Here's what I've heard.......

apparently he puts too much salt in his pumpkin
soup...!

everyone knows it's add to personal taste...!

kindest regards tommi

Did you hear that first hand?
Do you have proof?
How dare you have an onion!

EFA

I don't believe there are any Essestial Fatty Acids is onions.
I suggest a handful of walnuts or almonds. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/888660448018481152

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Rather than a sense of inclusiveness which has been promoted heavily, there remains a sense of exclusiveness.

Assuming for a second it was to do with something in KJ's personal life or state of mind, then I don't think we need to know.

Not saying this is the case, but there must be a damn good reason.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Assuming for a second it was to do with something in KJ's personal life or state of mind, then I don't think we need to know.

Not saying this is the case, but there must be a damn good reason.

Other clubs are transparent enough with all types of 'issues', why not us ?

It could be all put to rest very quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

We'll agree to disagree then. I'm happy to go with the club's judgment and accept the inevitable, as I think we all should be.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm 
Bob Chitty

Donstuie wrote:
We'll agree to disagree then. I'm happy to go with the club's judgment and accept the inevitable, as I think we all should be.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Why does the club need to proactive address a player's non-selection? I'm not for this "we're entitled to know everything" mindset. Inclusiveness is one thing, putting an individual's difficulties (whether they be on or off field) on the public agenda is another.

I would be interested to see how Bolts responds to a direct question from a journalist about KJ, but I doubt he would give away any more than the type of generic stuff we see in Fraser's weekly VFL performance report on the website. Airing dirty laundry is not in the best interests of the club or the player.

I think we just need to accept that KJ is not in Bolts' future plans, and the club publicly detailing precise reasons is not going to happen. Nor should it really, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Why does the club need to proactive address a player's non-selection? I'm not for this "we're entitled to know everything" mindset. Inclusiveness is one thing, putting an individual's difficulties (whether they be on or off field) on the public agenda is another.

I would be interested to see how Bolts responds to a direct question from a journalist about KJ, but I doubt he would give away any more than the type of generic stuff we see in Fraser's weekly VFL performance report on the website. Airing dirty laundry is not in the best interests of the club or the player.

I think we just need to accept that KJ is not in Bolts' future plans, and the club publicly detailing precise reasons is not going to happen. Nor should it really, IMO.

Does that go for every player, or is it a selective policy ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Coaches aren't infallible. No one is.
I coached a player about 8 years ago who I thought would never have the commitment to go any further with his footy. He played in an AFL premiership last year. Sometimes people gain an opinion on someone and nothing will change it.

I watched the NB's play Box Hill last year. As I was watching the game, John Barker and his young son came over and stood next to me. KJ was having a decent game and had done some good things. Bolts turned up and walked over to stand with Barker. KJ hit a pass into the middle of the ground and a Hawks player intercepted the pass. Bolton angrily said "he always does that!". I was surprised as Jaksch had played quite well and it was a minor mistake but Bolton was quite agitated.
Sometimes people see the negatives in certain people more than others. As far as I'm concerned, Simon White turns it over 10 times as much as KJ but that doesn't stop him from getting opportunities.

No doubt KJ didn't have the commitment required in his first year and it has established a situation that he can't change.
The disappointment for me is the situation creates opportunities for rumour, innuendo and blatant bullshit.
Club 29 states above that KJ was sent away from the club for a number of weeks. I don't blame Club29 as its no doubt something he read but it's rubbish. It didn't happen.

It then creates thoughts that maybe KJ had personal problems or it could be his "state of mind". How about it didn't happen in the first place and its unsubstantiated bullshit that then creates questions about his state of mind.

Then there's posts about KJ not learning the game plan and not putting in the hours etc. KJ had his best pre-season, did extra sessions and was continually seeking out the coaches asking what he needed to do to get promoted to the AFL side. His early form was excellent.
The issue is AFAIC, he wasn't given the opportunity to settle. A lot of games he started forward and was pushed back at the 20 minute mark of the quarter. Several other games he was thrown forward, back, forward etc. That switching and changing created inconsistency in his game.

Now, I don't think he's playing well enough to get an opportunity and I suspect he knows his papers are stamped.
The disappointment for me is the waste. He has the talent and he now knows what is required. But its also up to the leaders of the club to help make it happen.
In business, part of my role as a leader is to get the best out of people. If there's talent, it's in my best interest to help people reach their potential. I don't just give up because they're not coming along as I would like.
Look at Liam Jones. 6 months ago he was the worst player. Now he's one of the AFL's form defender. He's 26 years old. KJ is 22. The coaches were willing to let Jones rot in the VFL and delist him. The potential is there. Being a good coach isn't just about game plans and structures. It's also about getting the best out of your people. All of them. You don't give up and walk away from people. Jones is the perfect example.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:37 pm 
formerly Blue Boots

Blue Vain wrote:
Coaches aren't infallible. No one is.
I coached a player about 8 years ago who I thought would never have the commitment to go any further with his footy. He played in an AFL premiership last year.

Quick. Answer this question in a hurry so we don't doubt this so much.
Who was the player you coached and what club was it BV?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

You can doubt it as much as you want. No skin off my nose.
I'm not claiming any credit for a players progression. In fact, I'm saying how I didn't see it coming at all.
Most junior coaches who have coached for a number of years and have coached rep footy will see a lot of players go on to higher level footy.
I was just putting some context to the post, not trying to take any credit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

Our ins are far better than our outs.
Blues by 16 points
First 100 point score of the year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We've had 4 weeks of honourable losses to finals contenders.

This game is a true test of the character of this playing group.

If the bring to the game the intent they've displayed over the past 4 weeks they'll win.

If they go in thinking "we've got this" or they think they can take a holiday against a lesser opponent then not only will they lose but it will say a lot about the character of this group.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next