Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

nck wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
nck wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Wright really should have been given 50 at the end there. Came in very late and took him down to ensure he couldn't play on.

Thought the Weitering decision was technically right under the new rules, but that non-50 to Wright was the worst decision of the game, and would have put us a goal up :mad:

I know I'm probably on my own here but I think 90% of the deliberate out of bounds rulings have been accurate.
If you think about what the player was trying to do or hoping for, I think most of them are spot on.

It is fair to question whether it is appropriate to try to read a player's mind but if we are looking to label things as 'intentional' then that is part of it.
There are only a couple of kicks out of bounds that came off the side of the foot that shouldn't have been paid this season but, for mine, the players mostly wanted it to go out. Including Weitering's - it was late in the game, he was trying to clear it under pressure and I'll bet hoping like hell it went out, given the time.

Why would he hope it went out when he knew that would allow GWS to kick it straight back?

There's a difference between hoping it goes out, and hoping you get a free paid against you.

Also, pretty much everyone knew there were only seconds left and he wanted to waste some time.

The players don't know according to themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Under the current interpretation the free was technically correct, but his only alternative was to take possession and be immediately tackled within scoring range of the opposing goals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm 
Wayne Johnston

He made the correct call even knowing it would give away a free.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yes, I think he made the right call - 1st priority was to get the ball out of there. 2nd priority (preference) waste a few more seconds via a stoppage (with another opportunity to kill the ball in congestion).
If we were 1 point down, he would have done a similar thing but directed the ball up the corridor hoping for a Carlton possession and quick chain to goal.

I find it hysterically funny that players who are so incredibly skillful in close, under immense pressure tend to fumble uncontrollably when close to the boundary if there are no clear uncontested options up the ground...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:25 pm 
formerly King Kenny

How good was Daisy's handball to get it to him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm 
Serge Silvagni

toddkurnski wrote:
Dylan Shiel would look great in Navy Blue. Terrific player.

Said the same thing to a mate. We would have won in a canter if he was playing in Navy Blue.

Watching the replay yesterday reinforced this.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Than I used to, my love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Normal One wrote:
How good was Daisy's handball to get it to him.

I have watched the replay of the final minutes a few times now. That handball and the tackle from Charlie Curnow with 30 seconds to go was a ripper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

nck wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
nck wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Wright really should have been given 50 at the end there. Came in very late and took him down to ensure he couldn't play on.

Thought the Weitering decision was technically right under the new rules, but that non-50 to Wright was the worst decision of the game, and would have put us a goal up :mad:

I know I'm probably on my own here but I think 90% of the deliberate out of bounds rulings have been accurate.
If you think about what the player was trying to do or hoping for, I think most of them are spot on.

It is fair to question whether it is appropriate to try to read a player's mind but if we are looking to label things as 'intentional' then that is part of it.
There are only a couple of kicks out of bounds that came off the side of the foot that shouldn't have been paid this season but, for mine, the players mostly wanted it to go out. Including Weitering's - it was late in the game, he was trying to clear it under pressure and I'll bet hoping like hell it went out, given the time.

Why would he hope it went out when he knew that would allow GWS to kick it straight back?

There's a difference between hoping it goes out, and hoping you get a free paid against you.

Also, pretty much everyone knew there were only seconds left and he wanted to waste some time.

I knew it would be paid deliberate as soon as he kicked it but was happy that the ball was 70m from goal rather than 10m.

The decision was technically correct under the current interpretation therefore people's angst should be directed towards the AFL, not the umpires.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:20 pm 
Bruce Comben

Cuningham is very good at football. Reminds me of David Glascott but with more grunt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Went with my 12 yo son. He's seen a few wins and quite a few losses.
The joy and excitement on his face after the game made me emotional. I have never seen that unbridled joy from him at a Carlton game.

Thanks Bolts and SOS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The uncle of my wife (as we say it in Spanish) is an astute follower of sport in general and soccer in particular. His wife had never seen any Aussie Rules footy so I showed them the last half of the last quarter.
She was bewlildred but he knows his sport. When Greene ran in and chipped the point instead of handballing to his team mate on the goal line, the uncle of my wife said,
"That just cost them the game."
It was such a horrible, selfish and glory-hunting act, even a man who has seen exactly eight quarters of footy saw it as it unfolded.
His arse will be pretty sore today.

Sounds like the two of you celebrated mighty hard! :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgh_kyoZ22U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHCcg2BOmRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QQqjHkaZCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xslDyx1zbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWKXnwBw2Q

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

GWS wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
The uncle of my wife (as we say it in Spanish) is an astute follower of sport in general and soccer in particular. His wife had never seen any Aussie Rules footy so I showed them the last half of the last quarter.
She was bewlildred but he knows his sport. When Greene ran in and chipped the point instead of handballing to his team mate on the goal line, the uncle of my wife said,
It was such a horrible, selfish and glory-hunting act, even a man who has seen exactly eight quarters of footy saw it as it unfolded.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

GWS wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bluedog wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:

Thanks Wook.

A few observations:

Some fine Silvagni highlights there!

Well done bald umpire for picking up the free to Kreuzer.

I think Fisher's behind should have been included in the package. :wink:

Personally, I prefer Salma Hayek's behind but there you go.

WHAT?... NO PICTURES!?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Salma Hayek is his wife's uncle?

Now I'm confused...

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

:clap: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:01 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GWS wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Ummm
Not exactly what I meant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:20 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Tried to add pics of Salma Hayek's but I couldn't.
Sorry.

Last edited by Blue Sombrero on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next