Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ryan2000 wrote:
Am i being a sore looser or was the umpiring completely pathetic yesterday? yes and yes :razz:

- Kreuzer's best game in maybe forever. tick
- Gibbs was electric tick
- Simmo is gonna be missed when he retires. not so much
- Cunningham showed some promising signs. tick
- Cripps needs to be our next Captain i reckon.
edited for accuracy

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
I thought the tactics of the match were fascinating to watch. North prepared well for a loose defender early and matching up Docherty worked well for them. They separated our defence well and as a consequence, they took plenty of inside 50 marks and capitalised on their entries. We also missed the big body of Rowe. Early on their goals scored for forward 50 entry ratio was far too high.
They also moved the ball quickly which didn't enable us to set up defensively as well as we have previously.

Mid/late second quarter it all turned around. We set up with 8 defenders and another 2 defensive side of the wing. That left us with 4 players in our half of the ground. 2 on the attacking side of the wing and 2 on the half forward flanks. No one in the corridor. The key seemed to be kicking wide from the stoppages and trapping the ball on our forward flanks. That allowed us to re-set our defensive structure.
The North players didn't adapt. They left 3 defenders loose but they guarded space that we weren't using. Meanwhile our extras in defence rebounded whenever the ball came near them and ran to support with the extra numbers.
I thought it was very well done by Bolton and the coaching staff. Brad Scott and his crew went in with a plan and we threw it out the window.
It was probably a couple of errors that cost us momentum and to be honest, a few of the youngsters are struggling to have enough impact at the moment.

Full credit to our senior/experienced players. For the clubs sake, they're probably carrying more than their share of the load and doing it magnificently well. Kruezer made the AFL's best ruckman of recent years look second rate. Plenty of disappointment but plenty to like.

What a fabulous post.
Thanks BV. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:03 am 
John Nicholls

bluegirl72 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I thought the tactics of the match were fascinating to watch. North prepared well for a loose defender early and matching up Docherty worked well for them. They separated our defence well and as a consequence, they took plenty of inside 50 marks and capitalised on their entries. We also missed the big body of Rowe. Early on their goals scored for forward 50 entry ratio was far too high.
They also moved the ball quickly which didn't enable us to set up defensively as well as we have previously.

Mid/late second quarter it all turned around. We set up with 8 defenders and another 2 defensive side of the wing. That left us with 4 players in our half of the ground. 2 on the attacking side of the wing and 2 on the half forward flanks. No one in the corridor. The key seemed to be kicking wide from the stoppages and trapping the ball on our forward flanks. That allowed us to re-set our defensive structure.
The North players didn't adapt. They left 3 defenders loose but they guarded space that we weren't using. Meanwhile our extras in defence rebounded whenever the ball came near them and ran to support with the extra numbers.
I thought it was very well done by Bolton and the coaching staff. Brad Scott and his crew went in with a plan and we threw it out the window.
It was probably a couple of errors that cost us momentum and to be honest, a few of the youngsters are struggling to have enough impact at the moment.

Full credit to our senior/experienced players. For the clubs sake, they're probably carrying more than their share of the load and doing it magnificently well. Kruezer made the AFL's best ruckman of recent years look second rate. Plenty of disappointment but plenty to like.

What a fabulous post.
Thanks BV. :thumbsup:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:31 am 
Bob Chitty

I always read your posts BV.

This is one of the reasons way.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:32 am 
Bob Chitty

I mean why.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Informative and encouraging. :beer:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 am 
Rod Ashman

a) Great post BV - I love it when someone can break down the coaching moves and counter-moves. TBH I find it v hard to follow live and esp on TV. Thanks.

b) This was the first match I saw something in Cunningham. Hope he gets confidence from that match and continues to grow - we really need him to come on.

c) Kruezer - has been fantastic all year. I think top 3 ruckmen in the league and arguably top 2. He has had one ordinary match.

d) C. Curnow gets just a little bit better every single week. He has some magic about him.

e) Cripps took another step this week - a leadership step. It didn't always come off and he got caught a couple of times trying to lift the team on his shoulders but that sidestep, fend off and goal was inspirational.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

it's not often in the last decade and a half, that we've lost and we've had so much to look forward too.

it sure does remind me of a young bulldogs team of 2-3 seasons ago. the talent and coaching are there. and from last season to this point of this season, finally players seem to be developing and improving.

SOS has turned this list around, bolton is coaching them. as long as development doesn't stunt we're going to be real good a fair bit sooner than any of us thought.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Unfortunately wasn't able to watch and was following Twitter as best I could.

Thought we were heading for an almighty belting early.

Absolutely fantastic to fight all the way back and get in front in the last. Ultimately very disappointed to lose in the end.

You can't give sides 1.5 qtr head starts so I hope that will be addressed as part of the review.

We have legitimate mitigants but we have to be careful not to be satisfied with 'honourable losses'. That's 3 games now we could very easily have won. Some may argue it's not about wins and losses but we have to learn to close out these games. Are we any closer to doing that?

Plenty to be excited about though. Even the wider football community are slowly recognising that I reckon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:35 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm annoyed that I don't feel too annoyed by that loss.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 am 
Craig Bradley

moshe25 wrote:
jim wrote:
Great, gutsy comeback but it was our own fault we ran out of puff after that start. If we held on it would've been our 2nd biggest comeback ever.

Reckon we were one key forward light. A number of times we could've gone into an open 50 but lacked a tall bloke to go one on one. Hence we chipped it in and mucked it up a few times. An extra tall forward might've got us over the line.

So we were one tall short?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I felt that. Often we had a chance to pump it into an open 50 but have to chip short because we had no-one tall to lead up or go one on one. An extra key forward would've helped that especially when Levi was outside the 50, which is was often.

It's a huge ask for Casboult to be our only key forward on top of back up rucking. He did a fine job yesterday but that would eventually wear you down.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

So close to a win...hard not to be a tiny bit flat today.
I feel for the boys.
However..I am just so excited about our future.
how lucky are we to have both Cripps and Charlie? Two Kouta like champs in the making.
also..how good was Ed Curnow yesterday! He is such a gem and so important for our team.
Agree the elder statesmen were superb for us yesterday.
Agro- no..I cannot agree. (Re simmo)
Comparing Graham to Carazzo and in a negative way mjs? dis-respectful for mine.
Carazzo gave his all and was a fantastic Carlton player.
Graham does his best and does not need to be scorned for it.
Apart from the 1st little bit I liked Weiters game very much. Cunningham is fantastic!
Sumner shows promise.
geez would have been great to stick it up Waitey and Norf in general.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

It took me almost until half time to realise that the woman in front of me was chanting "Green shirt, green shirt" whenever North were paid a free kick because her Thai(?) accent made it sound like "Greetcher, greetcher". After each North behind it was "One point, better than nothing" and she'd also burst into applause at random times.

Near the end of the game she managed to spill her 7th beer over herself and her husband who told her if she didn't straighten up she'd have to go sit in the car.

Her husband went psycho when Ziebel got pushed off a tackle, abusing the shit out of him.

Fun game :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Blue Vain wrote:
choo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Try explaining that to Luke Darcy

Or Brian Taylor. He looked at the set up and claimed North had dropped players back. :grin: If he had any idea, he would have seen 5 North defenders and 2 Carlton forwards. Lucky the viewers have BT sharing his great knowledge. Oh boy, wowee!

So, it was five verse two? Oh boy, wowee.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
it's not often in the last decade and a half, that we've lost and we've had so much to look forward too.

it sure does remind me of a young bulldogs team of 2-3 seasons ago. the talent and coaching are there. and from last season to this point of this season, finally players seem to be developing and improving.

SOS has turned this list around, bolton is coaching them. as long as development doesn't stunt we're going to be real good a fair bit sooner than any of us thought.

Absolutely Braithy. :thumbsup:
I see us challenging for top 8 next year.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
It took me almost until half time to realise that the woman in front of me was chanting "Green shirt, green shirt" whenever North were paid a free kick because her Thai(?) accent made it sound like "Greetcher, greetcher". After each North behind it was "One point, better than nothing" and she'd also burst into applause at random times.

Near the end of the game she managed to spill her 7th beer over herself and her husband who told her if she didn't straighten up she'd have to go sit in the car.

Her husband went psycho when Ziebel got pushed off a tackle, abusing the shit out of him.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:32 pm 
John Nicholls

Wojee wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think you'll find that was my mum

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
Agro- no..I cannot agree. (Re simmo).

Which particular brain fades and crucial disposal errors are you disagreeing about?

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:29 pm 
Robert Walls

I do feel like this was partially lost at the selection table. We needed another key forward ahead of Macreadie. Silvagni struggled against Tarrant because he was much bigger and stronger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next