Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Charlie Curnows first half was pretty @#$%&! special.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Dominator_7 wrote:
Good to see Waite is still a flog

The perfect word to describe Waite is "flog". I was at the match and it was disappointing, but at least they didn't fold completely like they did in the past. There was actually a match to watch and I felt a glimmer of hope that we might win. Hopefully these are all stepping stones to a better and brighter future after having endured the Trojan horse that was Mick Sh!thouse for 2 & half years.

Last edited by Lucky on Sun May 28, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
Terrible start, faded late but fantastic in between.
Kreuzer has to stay.
What is going on with Weitering? Has had a very ordinary year so far.
Kids showed plenty so lots to look forward to.
Waite still a flog and still chasing that flag.

Definitely has a case of 2nd year blues. Hope the break comes at a good time for him.
Felt he directly contributed to 3 of the 1st 5 goals that North kicked....ouch...
but his only a kid still and will get all that together. I prefer he plays forward to support Cassy but I also want Jaksch in the team to support Cassy.....hell I'll take anyone in the team to support Cassy at the moment. We won't win many games with only Cass our key forward.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

jim wrote:
Great, gutsy comeback but it was our own fault we ran out of puff after that start. If we held on it would've been our 2nd biggest comeback ever.

Reckon we were one key forward light. A number of times we could've gone into an open 50 but lacked a tall bloke to go one on one. Hence we chipped it in and mucked it up a few times. An extra tall forward might've got us over the line.

So we were one tall short?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:26 pm 
Bob Chitty

From his very first senior game I have wanted Graham to succeed. I don't even know why I've wanted it so bad to be honest. But sadly im starting to concede he is capable of dominating at VFL level but only just scrape through at AFL level.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

So many silly decisions and errors from him today.
Not part of the Long term future

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:12 am 
Garry Crane

Crippa wrote:
From his very first senior game I have wanted Graham to succeed. I don't even know why I've wanted it so bad to be honest. But sadly im starting to concede he is capable of dominating at VFL level but only just scrape through at AFL level.

Like Carrazzo, Graham is Italian for "turnover"

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:40 am 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
I'm not feeling as warm & fuzzy as some. The first 30 minutes were disgraceful. And I was almost as disappointed with the last 10 minutes. I know we're a young team, coming off the WA trip etc etc, but North were begging to be beaten at the start of the last quarter and we let them off the hook.

North are flat track bullies. They folded like deck chairs when we got our shit together defensively and started to tackle.

We should never have been in the position we were in at quarter time, but compounding it was our failure to show sufficient resolve when the game was there to be taken in the last.

As Bolts says, we need to be a no excuse football club. Some of our kids need to contribute more for longer.

Positives - Gibbs, Kreuzer, Cunningham, COS, Doc, Charlie.

A lot of truth to this, and maybe this game was a bit of a turning point. If our blokes had turned up in the first quarter we would've won, and I get a feeling this might've been the feeling in the rooms after the game.

When I look at our team, I see a spread of quality that's been absent for years. Williamson, Cuningham, Macreadie, Fisher, SPS, Silvagni, Weitering, Curnow and Marchbank all showed good quality, intensity and decision making today. Yes they were inconsistent, but I've got no doubt that Bolton is the right coach to continue their development, and in particular not allow a loser mentality to fester.

PS: can we stop the @#$%&! whinging about the umpires.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 am 
Bruce Doull

no...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 am 
Stephen Silvagni

The umps aren't that friendly to us but we're sounding like Eagles supporters lately... BOOO

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 am 
Harry Vallence

Crippa wrote:

Cuningham looked a class above VFL level this year as well and despite it being early days, he just
appears to have the tools to help him translate that to the AFL . Graham has had several opportunities at AFL level and just doesn't appear to have the smarts.
Cuningham will overtake Graham soon if he hasn't already.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I thought the tactics of the match were fascinating to watch. North prepared well for a loose defender early and matching up Docherty worked well for them. They separated our defence well and as a consequence, they took plenty of inside 50 marks and capitalised on their entries. We also missed the big body of Rowe. Early on their goals scored for forward 50 entry ratio was far too high.
They also moved the ball quickly which didn't enable us to set up defensively as well as we have previously.

Mid/late second quarter it all turned around. We set up with 8 defenders and another 2 defensive side of the wing. That left us with 4 players in our half of the ground. 2 on the attacking side of the wing and 2 on the half forward flanks. No one in the corridor. The key seemed to be kicking wide from the stoppages and trapping the ball on our forward flanks. That allowed us to re-set our defensive structure.
The North players didn't adapt. They left 3 defenders loose but they guarded space that we weren't using. Meanwhile our extras in defence rebounded whenever the ball came near them and ran to support with the extra numbers.
I thought it was very well done by Bolton and the coaching staff. Brad Scott and his crew went in with a plan and we threw it out the window.
It was probably a couple of errors that cost us momentum and to be honest, a few of the youngsters are struggling to have enough impact at the moment.

Full credit to our senior/experienced players. For the clubs sake, they're probably carrying more than their share of the load and doing it magnificently well. Kruezer made the AFL's best ruckman of recent years look second rate. Plenty of disappointment but plenty to like.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 am 
Rod Ashman

Ultimately we failed but that adds to your comment last week I think BV that rival coaches are struggling to break down Bolts' defensive set ups. The Roos went in with a plan that worked but we were able to adjust and counter. Plan B and all that.
Bodes well for when we have the (more experienced) cattle to better execute and maintain the game plan(s).

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:56 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
I thought the tactics of the match were fascinating to watch. North prepared well for a loose defender early and matching up Docherty worked well for them. They separated our defence well and as a consequence, they took plenty of inside 50 marks and capitalised on their entries. We also missed the big body of Rowe. Early on their goals scored for forward 50 entry ratio was far too high.
They also moved the ball quickly which didn't enable us to set up defensively as well as we have previously.

Mid/late second quarter it all turned around. We set up with 8 defenders and another 2 defensive side of the wing. That left us with 4 players in our half of the ground. 2 on the attacking side of the wing and 2 on the half forward flanks. No one in the corridor. The key seemed to be kicking wide from the stoppages and trapping the ball on our forward flanks. That allowed us to re-set our defensive structure.
The North players didn't adapt. They left 3 defenders loose but they guarded space that we weren't using. Meanwhile our extras in defence rebounded whenever the ball came near them and ran to support with the extra numbers.
I thought it was very well done by Bolton and the coaching staff. Brad Scott and his crew went in with a plan and we threw it out the window.
It was probably a couple of errors that cost us momentum and to be honest, a few of the youngsters are struggling to have enough impact at the moment.

Full credit to our senior/experienced players. For the clubs sake, they're probably carrying more than their share of the load and doing it magnificently well. Kruezer made the AFL's best ruckman of recent years look second rate. Plenty of disappointment but plenty to like.

It will be interesting to see that if, in a future game, a similar sort of circumstances occur that Bolts and co are able to bring in that change in tactic mid-quarter.

It must be hard at the moment to set the pieces with so much inexperience, but as the side matures this kind of adjustment might be able to be implemented as the game is being played.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:00 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

Try explaining that to Luke Darcy

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:09 am 
Vale 1953-2020

choo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

He'd have to say it again...... and again..... and again..... and again....

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
choo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

He'd have to say it again...... and again..... and again..... and again....

....and lots of butchers paper and crayon.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

choo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Or Brian Taylor. He looked at the set up and claimed North had dropped players back. :grin: If he had any idea, he would have seen 5 North defenders and 2 Carlton forwards. Lucky the viewers have BT sharing his great knowledge. Oh boy, wowee!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Am i being a sore looser or was the umpiring completely pathetic yesterday?

- Kreuzer's best game in maybe forever.
- Gibbs was electric
- Simmo is gonna be missed when he retires.
- Cunningham showed some promising signs.
- Docherty needs to be our next Captain i reckon.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 am 
formerly King Kenny

dadadadada wrote:
First point of entry into the forward line is an issue ... as is our run and spread around tight areas

Cuningham showed how much value he can add fulfilling this role into the future. Looked quick and light on his feet. Very positive game from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next