Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:18 am 
John James

Shoulda nailed a few more shots in the first to really give them something to think about.

After we lost two players, twas only a matter of time before they ran over the top of us, especially with the crappy home crowd umpiring (yes, it counts even more in such crappy conditions). Blues fought it out but looked spent well before the end.

We can still surprise the Portaloos next week with some canny selections. They might be getting big heads about now.

Bolts is introducing the new recruits gradually and it'll pay off in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:32 am 
Ken Hunter

I still haven't watched the second half but should have been 6-7 goals up early which would have made a huge difference.
Losing a couple of players hurt our rotations.
I blame our insipid white jumpers, yet to win in it.
I hope Rowe is okay but not looking good.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 am 
Rod Ashman

1) I wonder whether Rowe is more important for us than we thought
2) The umpiring was bad BUT nowhere near as bad as our own disposal (handballs to feet, kicks over heads, missed easy shots for goal)
3) Don't blame the rain either - it was pouring late in the first quarter and we were much cleaner than them ad dominating
4) Our pressure dropped off a bit after quarter time; theirs increased
5) Cunningham looked v good in the first quarter but faded from there. I think he did enough to keep his spot.
6) Rowe injury opens up opportunity for Jones, Macreadie and even perhaps Jaksch if he is able to grab it.

PS. As an early request: IF Jaksch moves on at the end of this season, could TC please rather become a proud gold sponsor of Zach Merrett? Or Dangerfield? or Carlisle?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 am 
Horrie Clover

An 11 goal turnaround is unacceptable anytime, it was almost like they got to 28 out late in the first and thought "we've done enough, pressure dropped away and we continued to try and play neat footy when it was pissing down, what was required was get the ball forward at all costs ala Essendon* game and lock it in and grind it out, we couldn't do that being down two players didn't help nor did the umpiring, I honestly thought Freo were umpired back into the game in the second quarter, the bye can't come quick enough as the kids look tired and had trouble coming back from knocks, although I accept we're a work in progress and it's another game under the belts of the kids, I'm not super happy that our work rate dropped of so dramatically.
I couldn't understand why we weren't setting up defensively in the centre when Fyfe went into the middle and Herman Munster got on top in the ruck, they were just waltzing out of th centre, that's a fail for Bolts

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:28 am 
Craig Bradley

AGRO wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Not sure where the Kreuzer hate is coming from. He beat Sandilands pointless in the first quarter, Sandilands slowly got on top in the hit outs from that point on, but Kreuzer never stopped competing and in the last quarter was still having an impact.

His form has been terrific around the ground. But he's getting smashed at centre bounces at the moment. Makes it hard when you're always having to start from your defensive 50.

39 hitouts to Sandilands to 26 hitouts to Kreuzer is hardly a smashing.

Kreuzer did very well, and better than most rucks versus Sandilands.

Overall it was Freo 43, Us 36. Casboult got 10 as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:28 am 
Craig Bradley

AGRO wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Not sure where the Kreuzer hate is coming from. He beat Sandilands pointless in the first quarter, Sandilands slowly got on top in the hit outs from that point on, but Kreuzer never stopped competing and in the last quarter was still having an impact.

His form has been terrific around the ground. But he's getting smashed at centre bounces at the moment. Makes it hard when you're always having to start from your defensive 50.

39 hitouts to Sandilands to 26 hitouts to Kreuzer is hardly a smashing.

Kreuzer did very well, and better than most rucks versus Sandilands.

Overall it was Freo 43, Us 36. Casboult got 10 as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

dropped off after first quarter but problem was that a good team would have been at least 6 goals up at quarter time and be difficult to rein in after that- as usual we didn't make them pay and that was the end of it

Umpiring was crap particularly 2nd and 3rd quarter - but didn't affect result
Williamson and fisher were promising - Jack ok but must NAIL THOSE GOALS - Weitering looked better - and dare I say it Rowey was a loss -

thought simmo and Docherty were not as good as previous weeks but cant star all the time

Ed Curnow was good

Cripps Murphy and Gibbs need some assistance - Charlie and Cunningham both flashed in early and late but had little impact during quarters 2 and 3

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

We didn't control possession, slow the tempo and switch play as we usually do when we play well.

Kicked the ball back into the traffic where it came from turned it over time and time again.

Thought we really missed Rowe and had to form a structure that wasn't on our terms for most of the game.

Jack needs to spend more time with Sav...he needs to hit the scoreboard.

Williamson and Fisher looked good, although needed more from Charlie and (dare I say...) Simmo...

And wow...Sandilands, Fyfe and Neale were bloody fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

kkk wrote:
Megaman wrote:
Umpires can still be, and generally are, pathetic, even when we don't play well. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Just because we play poorly doesn't let them off the hook. They are shit.

Why don't you take it up and prove how easy it is?

Is that the best you can come up with to defend them?
The standard of umpiring is poor - whether we play well or not. Its poor in most games regardless of who is playing.
Why are we allowed to comment on the playing ability of ours and other players, but not on the performance of the umpires?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:55 pm 
John Nicholls

Megaman wrote:
kkk wrote:
Megaman wrote:
Umpires can still be, and generally are, pathetic, even when we don't play well. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Just because we play poorly doesn't let them off the hook. They are shit.

Why don't you take it up and prove how easy it is?

Is that the best you can come up with to defend them?
The standard of umpiring is poor - whether we play well or not. Its poor in most games regardless of who is playing.
Why are we allowed to comment on the playing ability of ours and other players, but not on the performance of the umpires?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on all aspects of the game. My feeling is that it all gets tiresome when the umpires are seen as a factor as to whether a team is successful or not. A more informed opinion can be gained from doing accredited coaching and umpiring courses. Broadens the perspective which in my opinion can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Umps can determine a game, how can they not?

I don't know about anyone else but I felt the game was over about halfway through the third quarter and it seemed to me so did most other people.

I think we got within 14 points or something in the last with plenty of time and it may as well have been 10 goals.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wet Willie wrote:
We didn't control possession, slow the tempo and switch play as we usually do when we play well.

Kicked the ball back into the traffic where it came from turned it over time and time again.

Thought we really missed Rowe and had to form a structure that wasn't on our terms for most of the game.

Jack needs to spend more time with Sav...he needs to hit the scoreboard.

Williamson and Fisher looked good, although needed more from Charlie and (dare I say...) Simmo...

And wow...Sandilands, Fyfe and Neale were bloody fantastic!

Difficult to control possession like we normally would when we are two rotations down and the ball is like soap.

Game plan needed to adjust and we found it difficult in the circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AFLCA Votes

FREMANTLE v CARLTON
9 Lachie Neale (Frem)
9 Michael Walters (Frem)
4 Michael Johnson (Frem)
4 David Mundy (Frem)
4 Marc Murphy (Carl)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:
AFLCA Votes

FREMANTLE v CARLTON
9 Lachie Neale (Frem)
9 Michael Walters (Frem)
4 Michael Johnson (Frem)
4 David Mundy (Frem)
4 Marc Murphy (Carl)

I thought Fyfe might have got a vote.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 am 
Harry Vallence

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Same old ! didnt win enough of the ball between the arcs.Killed in the centre square.Gotta keep lookin' for natural ball winners or forget it.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The throwing the ball rule is dead it seems.

Only for WA teams.

It's been that way ever since the days of the 05/06 Weagles teams.
The Selwood family are masters of the throw.

My theory is that is has something to do with the popularity of Rugby Union in WA - they are used to passing the rugby ball, so they coach that way..

It's our fault for not remembering that there are different rules for different footy grounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

I finally got around to watching the second half. I now know what everyone meant by the pretty ordinary umpiring. That last goal to them was a shocker.
We looked tired and I think it going to be hard to get up this week.