Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
Don't mind the changes, although would've given Jack another week and given Cuningham a shot for extra dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly DS. However...the MC ..is..darn it..doing an ok job this year. :razz:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluegirl72 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Don't mind the changes, although would've given Jack another week and given Cuningham a shot for extra dash.

My thoughts exactly DS. However...the MC ..is..darn it..doing an ok job this year. :razz:

Excisely. Precactly.
It feels so weird and a bit foreign but as much as I still enjoy the anticipation to selection and the post-selection banter, I am finding myself becoming more and more comfortable backing the MC's selection judgement :eek:.

I kind of feel this week is a real yardstick kind of game against one of a few rebuilding teams a couple of years ahead of us but super keen to nail a strong performance against a team they would be clearly expected to defeat. Last year they beat us by 32pts in the corresponding round at Etihad (ending our run of 6 wins in 7 games) and then by 71pts later in the year at the MCG (when we were a fading team with backwards momentum...)
I think Collingwood is also in that 'yardstick' bucket, esp given the additional pressure on them which is one of the reasons the win last week was so good.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Cunners would give us a bit of extra dash, as does Fisher.

To win we need goal kickers: Jack gives us this.

Conundrum

Is he related to Damien?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:19 pm 
Rod Ashman

We've taken care of the two clubs I most care about, so I'm not that fussed about this one.

Interestingly though I've noted that quite a few TCers despise the Saints as much if not more than Essendon* or Collingwood.
(Well maybe not more than Essendon*).

Don't get this myself, I've never seen St Kilda as relevant enough to really dislike.
Still ... I won't object to another 4pts if we can managed it. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm 
Horrie Clover

Saints been a bogey side for a long time , not sure we are forward enough to beat them just yet. But we MuST beat the hawks this year.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:15 pm 
Bob Chitty

pinnell wrote:
Saints been a bogey side for a long time , not sure we are forward enough to beat them just yet. But we MuST beat the hawks this year.

It FEELS the same way to me for some reason but although they beat us the last two times (both 2016), we had won the previous 4 before that. We are 4 wins and 2 losses to the saints over the last 4 years.

Last edited by Crippa on Fri May 12, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

17th Premiership wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I have an irrational dislike of Alan Richardson for some reason.

Just thought I would share that.

Your completely valid feelings aside, I think he is a great coach and the primary reason why the Saints are doing so well at the moment compared to, say, the Demons who I think have a much better list of players.
And this highlights the reason why a bunch of high draft picks does not guarantee success (e.g. Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast) and teams can achieve/maintain great success without many high picks (e.g. Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide).

I think that the most important member of Hawthorn's dynasty was/is Clarkson who has adapted a game plan to suit his players and the times, and motivated the group to execute it and maintain the right winning intensity.

Similarly, Bolton is the most essential driver of our rebuild including teaching the players and developing a successful culture. SOS is playing a great role getting the right kids in the door. But who's to say that we'd have been able to debut 6 new players this season with a different coach in charge (think Malthouse, Pagan?). Who's to say that some of those high draft pick duds we've taken over the past 10 years couldn't have become great players with a better coach and club culture?
Yes, it looks like now we are placing more of a premium on mental application in our draftees rather than pure talent (Yarran, Menzel come to mind...). But I suspect that Bolton is playing an important role there as well.

A great coach? Really?

Only one great coach in the system at the minute and as much as I hate him that's A Clarkson.

A Richardson has a fair way to go to being labelled "great".

Fair enough - I should have clearly articulated my carefully thought out, tested, verified and universally endorsed criteria.
But I am happy to see that you have complete confidence in your universally accepted definition of 'great' and I accept your god-like ruling on the valid uses of 'great' as a word, both formally and informally.

Just to be clear, I was not using the word 'great' to denote he is a clearly accepted 'great of the game' - where, for example, one might include Wayne Carey or Kevin Sheedy but exclude Nick Reiwoldt or Denis Pagan.
I was using it as one might within a casual conversation where there is no restriction on the number of 'greats' and there is no formal qualification required either.
More like 'I had a great time at the footy on the weekend', even though my joy has not been independently assessed by an international panel nor compared to my feelings at the 1999 prelim or the 1995 grand final.

Thanks 17th that's great :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:23 pm 
Bob Chitty

bluegirl72 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

The whole club is preaching "consistency" and his last 3 games have been GOOD, POOR, GREAT. His time will come soon.

Ps: yes I used the G word. :fight:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:11 pm 
Bert Deacon

we need to stop there run coming out from our forward line,because they like to run and link up . pressure pressure all over the ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crippa wrote:
pinnell wrote:

It FEELS the same way to me for some reason but although they beat us the last two times (both 2016), we had won the previous 4 before that. We are 4 wins and 2 losses to the saints over the last 4 years.

Since 2002, St Kilda has won 18 out of 24 against us.

In total, we have won 162 out of 217 against them.

In other words - like our overall record, the last 15 years against St Kilda has sucked. Prior to that, it was pretty mighty.

:cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

Hate them.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

The brief time I felt any sort of hate for the saints was when Aaron Hamill left us for them because big Jack hurt hit his feelings.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Fraser Gehrig, Stephen Milne, Nick Dal Santo, Aaron Hammil, Shane Warne

More than enough to hate

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Cunners would give us a bit of extra dash, as does Fisher.

To win we need goal kickers: Jack gives us this.

Conundrum

Is he related to Damien?

Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha.

That was awesome.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 am 
Bruce Doull

grrofunger wrote:

More than enough to hate

Garthp, barks4eva, owenthe, aussierulesok, HSVking, St Fiddelius, Cooloola.

More than enough to hate.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:51 am 
John Nicholls

I dreamt about this game last night. Don't remember the full story, but keep an eye on Fisher, I woke up at a critical moment and I think he does something special.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:08 am 
Ken Hunter

Air quality under the roof ok?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 am 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

More than enough to hate

Garthp, barks4eva, owenthe, aussierulesok, HSVking, St Fiddelius, Cooloola.

More than enough to hate.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Apples !

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:29 am 
Rod Ashman

Hornet wrote:
The brief time I felt any sort of hate for the saints was when Aaron Hamill left us for them because big Jack hurt hit his feelings.

I've heard this about Hamill for years, what exactly did Elliot say?

Please PM if it's not something that should be written on the board

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm excited to see what we bring today.
No idea what will unfold-would not be surprised to see the aints drop a game...especially if we bring our 4 by 4 intent.
I reckon we will. I hope for a close one .
If they do ream us early on- looking for an excellent recovery effort. Its been a great few weeks no matter what happens.
The worry room remains locked .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next