Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Love Fish.....the new Simmo for mine. He's a real ripping kid, with great kicking skills. Actually think of all our kids this year.....they can all hit targets and God it's made a massive difference in being able to penetrate zones and make that "risky" kick into the corridor that if comes off, opens up the game.

I trust the MC not to have played SOS if he was in any doubt. I watched the replay and thought Kerridge did a lot of really solid grunt work and gave off a few good handballs in close, so IMHO a tad stiff. But good to have depth.

Aints are 2 years ahead of us development wise in theory as a young team. But we are closing the gap quicker than I thought we would, and our backline is a very cohesive unit. All good teams have that predictability that a settled backline brings.

Hmmmm.....maybe Aints by less than 2 goals but you never know.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blues Clues wrote:
I'd be curious as to how this team compares to the one that was obliterated by Aints in the NAB series.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/jlt- ... carl-v-stk

OUT: Kerridge, Palmer, Cuningham, Smedts, Armfield, Polson, Macreadie, Boekhorst, McKay, Jones, PIckett, Lamb, Korchek, Buckley
IN: A. Silvagni, Simpson, Docherty, Wright, Petrevski-Seton, Casboult, Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy, J. Silvagni

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:
I'd be curious as to how this team compares to the one that was obliterated by Aints in the NAB series.

OUT: Kerridge, Palmer, Cuningham, Smedts, Armfield, Polson, Macreadie, Boekhorst, McKay, Jones, PIckett, Lamb, Korchek, Buckley
IN: A. Silvagni, Simpson, Docherty, Wright, Petrevski-Seton, Casboult, Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy, J. Silvagni

Oh wow :eek:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

I used to get a little upset if we 'over achieved' and pinched a win here there. I wanted the earlier picks.

Now it's a different story.

No reason we can't beat these guys. They're not as stoic as some may think.
We are riding a bit of a wave and I like it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

So we win by 1, 742?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:

Actually, this is updated version 14 outs, 12 ins (they play 24 JLT):

Outs:

Cunningham
Kerridge
McKay
Palmer
Boekhorst
Armfield
Buckley
Jones
Pickett
Korcheck
Lamb
Macreadie
Polson
Smedts

Ins:

Murphy
Gibbs
SPS
Cripps
Docherty
Kreuzer
Simpson
Casboult
C Curnow
J Silvagni
A Silvagni
M Wright

The ins v outs give me real confidence we can get closer than 92 points! :smile:

Last edited by Blues Clues on Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 pm 
Serge Silvagni

No surprises with selection. We have to be in with more than a chance this match.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blues Clues wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:

Outs:

Cunningham
Kerridge
McKay
Palmer
Boekhorst
Armfield
Buckley
Jones
Pickett
Korcheck
Lamb
Macreadie
Polson
Smedts

Ins:

Murphy
Gibbs
SPS
Cripps
Docherty
Kreuzer
Simpson
Casboult
C Curnow
J Silvagni
A Silvagni
M Wright

The ins v outs give me real confidence we can get closer than 92 points! :smile:

My list was correct

Cripps and Charlie both played in the JLT game vs the Saints

Cripps was well down though, didnt play much just coming off the back injury.

Saints have some handy ins that didnt play in that JLT game too - Steven, Reiwoldt and Montagna amongst them

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:

Outs:

Cunningham
Kerridge
McKay
Palmer
Boekhorst
Armfield
Buckley
Jones
Pickett
Korcheck
Lamb
Macreadie
Polson
Smedts

Ins:

Murphy
Gibbs
SPS
Cripps
Docherty
Kreuzer
Simpson
Casboult
C Curnow
J Silvagni
A Silvagni
M Wright

My list was correct

Cripps and Charlie both played in the JLT game vs the Saints

Cripps was well down though, didnt play much just coming off the back injury.

Saints have some handy ins that didnt play in that JLT game too - Steven, Reiwoldt and Montagna amongst them

Yep, right on that and they played 26 in JLT not 24. :oops:

Cripps only played a 1/2 in that game IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

And Stevens

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

TC approves of the selections this week.

I think that means we're going to get thrashed.....

:yikes: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

St Kilda
Games Experience: 91.95
<=10 games: 0
>=100 games: 6

Carlton
Games Experience: 85.50
<=10 games: 3
>=100 games: 7

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
TC approves of the selections this week.

I think that means we're going to get thrashed.....

:yikes: :wink:

...and no Daisy whinge.

100+

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

Humpers wrote:
Happy enough with the changes however would have liked to see Cuningham get a run.

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I have an irrational dislike of Alan Richardson for some reason.

Just thought I would share that.

Your completely valid feelings aside, I think he is a great coach and the primary reason why the Saints are doing so well at the moment compared to, say, the Demons who I think have a much better list of players.
And this highlights the reason why a bunch of high draft picks does not guarantee success (e.g. Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast) and teams can achieve/maintain great success without many high picks (e.g. Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide).

I think that the most important member of Hawthorn's dynasty was/is Clarkson who has adapted a game plan to suit his players and the times, and motivated the group to execute it and maintain the right winning intensity.

Similarly, Bolton is the most essential driver of our rebuild including teaching the players and developing a successful culture. SOS is playing a great role getting the right kids in the door. But who's to say that we'd have been able to debut 6 new players this season with a different coach in charge (think Malthouse, Pagan?). Who's to say that some of those high draft pick duds we've taken over the past 10 years couldn't have become great players with a better coach and club culture?
Yes, it looks like now we are placing more of a premium on mental application in our draftees rather than pure talent (Yarran, Menzel come to mind...). But I suspect that Bolton is playing an important role there as well.

A great coach? Really?

Only one great coach in the system at the minute and as much as I hate him that's A Clarkson.

A Richardson has a fair way to go to being labelled "great".

Fair enough - I should have clearly articulated my carefully thought out, tested, verified and universally endorsed criteria.
But I am happy to see that you have complete confidence in your universally accepted definition of 'great' and I accept your god-like ruling on the valid uses of 'great' as a word, both formally and informally.

Just to be clear, I was not using the word 'great' to denote he is a clearly accepted 'great of the game' - where, for example, one might include Wayne Carey or Kevin Sheedy but exclude Nick Reiwoldt or Denis Pagan.
I was using it as one might within a casual conversation where there is no restriction on the number of 'greats' and there is no formal qualification required either.
More like 'I had a great time at the footy on the weekend', even though my joy has not been independently assessed by an international panel nor compared to my feelings at the 1999 prelim or the 1995 grand final.

You could have slipped 'myth' in there somewhere as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

showbag wrote:
Rexy wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Happy enough with the changes however would have liked to see Cunningham get a run.

Bolts hasn't hesitated to play the kids this year. I'd say there's a reason he's being held back.
They clearly want to see something in particular from him before he gets a game.
Hopefully it just makes him hungrier and tears up the 2's this week

composure with the ball

Yeah, that reckless bombing of goals from the centre clearance must be annoying the hell out of the match committee :wink:

Yeah!
And he isn't taking enough chest marks.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Sombrero wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I have an irrational dislike of Alan Richardson for some reason.

Just thought I would share that.

Your completely valid feelings aside, I think he is a great coach and the primary reason why the Saints are doing so well at the moment compared to, say, the Demons who I think have a much better list of players.
And this highlights the reason why a bunch of high draft picks does not guarantee success (e.g. Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast) and teams can achieve/maintain great success without many high picks (e.g. Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide).

I think that the most important member of Hawthorn's dynasty was/is Clarkson who has adapted a game plan to suit his players and the times, and motivated the group to execute it and maintain the right winning intensity.

Similarly, Bolton is the most essential driver of our rebuild including teaching the players and developing a successful culture. SOS is playing a great role getting the right kids in the door. But who's to say that we'd have been able to debut 6 new players this season with a different coach in charge (think Malthouse, Pagan?). Who's to say that some of those high draft pick duds we've taken over the past 10 years couldn't have become great players with a better coach and club culture?
Yes, it looks like now we are placing more of a premium on mental application in our draftees rather than pure talent (Yarran, Menzel come to mind...). But I suspect that Bolton is playing an important role there as well.

A great coach? Really?

Only one great coach in the system at the minute and as much as I hate him that's A Clarkson.

A Richardson has a fair way to go to being labelled "great".

Fair enough - I should have clearly articulated my carefully thought out, tested, verified and universally endorsed criteria.
But I am happy to see that you have complete confidence in your universally accepted definition of 'great' and I accept your god-like ruling on the valid uses of 'great' as a word, both formally and informally.

Just to be clear, I was not using the word 'great' to denote he is a clearly accepted 'great of the game' - where, for example, one might include Wayne Carey or Kevin Sheedy but exclude Nick Reiwoldt or Denis Pagan.
I was using it as one might within a casual conversation where there is no restriction on the number of 'greats' and there is no formal qualification required either.
More like 'I had a great time at the footy on the weekend', even though my joy has not been independently assessed by an international panel nor compared to my feelings at the 1999 prelim or the 1995 grand final.

You could have slipped 'myth' in there somewhere as well.

Haha, yeah, gotta be careful with your choice of words on TC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 am 
Bruce Doull

Don't mind the changes, although would've given Jack another week and given Cuningham a shot for extra dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:
Blues Clues wrote:

Damn those are some important In's. Don't know if their worth 92 points but it'll certainly help.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
Don't mind the changes, although would've given Jack another week and given Cuningham a shot for extra dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cunners would give us a bit of extra dash, as does Fisher.

To win we need goal kickers: Jack gives us this.

Conundrum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next