Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

R8: St Kilda Vs Carlton Pre Match Discussion

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

We are a chance but maybe a bridge too far.

Need to bring the same pressure

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

We need speed. Graham and Kerridge out.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:11 pm 
John Nicholls

carntheblues wrote:

The need for speed next week is the big one. Hope Cuningham has a blinder tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

For once it'll be a real asset having so many talls in the back line.

I wouldn't make too many changes, Smedts might go out for Silvagni or Fisher if they're right to come back but that'd be it. At this early stage.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Will be home for this one,........................... all i want is a contest, and i believe we can deliver that.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Anything within 5 goals is a win

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:06 pm 
Robert Walls

I was convinced we went in too tall this week, and I'm convinced we'll go in too slow next week. But results have shown I know SFA.

The real question is whether anyone demands a spot in the seconds tomorrow, and whether this week's injury-enforced outs are automatic ins when fit.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

@#$%&! Etihad

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Donstuie wrote:
@#$%&! Etihad

THIS

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

Also - can we finally stop coughing up junk-time goals?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

They absolutely pulled us to bits when we were in form last year...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:32 pm 
Bob Chitty

Taff wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

The need for speed next week is the big one. Hope Cuningham has a blinder tomorrow.

Absolutely right. The Saints will cut us up for pace at Etihad but the question is who can we bring in to rectify that who deserves a shot and who goes out. I thought Graham and Kerridge, Smedts who didn't set the world on fire, maybe one of the talls in defence (Rowe?), Thomas even though he played well and perhaps White could all be under pressure. Silvagni J should come back in, perhaps Fisher also. Quicker types in the seconds should be keen to impress - Armfield, Boekhorst, Buckley, Cuningham, Pickett, perhaps Polson or Sumner or even Gallucci and Sheehan though the last 4 probably need more miles in the legs.

This could be a real insight into whether the Match Committee wil go horses for courses and bring in more speed or stick with minimal changes.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'd like to think we have learned from teams cutting up our defensive structure by running through it and that we are capable of making adjustments for this game.

Need to ensure we have sweepers behind play at all times as well (like today) to prevent st kilda getting out over the back

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

If Fisher is fit I hope he comes in for Kerridge.

Etihad will test us, great opportunity for our developing team.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 am 
Bob Chitty

ianh wrote:
Taff wrote:
carntheblues wrote:

Absolutely right. The Saints will cut us up for pace at Etihad but the question is who can we bring in to rectify that who deserves a shot and who goes out. I thought Graham and Kerridge, Smedts who didn't set the world on fire, maybe one of the talls in defence (Rowe?), Thomas even though he played well and perhaps White could all be under pressure. Silvagni J should come back in, perhaps Fisher also. Quicker types in the seconds should be keen to impress - Armfield, Boekhorst, Buckley, Cuningham, Pickett, perhaps Polson or Sumner or even Gallucci and Sheehan though the last 4 probably need more miles in the legs.

This could be a real insight into whether the Match Committee wil go horses for courses and bring in more speed or stick with minimal changes.

What's the one phrase we have heard more than any other this year from Bolts and the club generally? They are demanding CONSISTENCY. I don't believe that's just quarter to quarter. It will be a club wide mantra. It will extend to promotion. Polsen didn't play one blinder before getting a call up for the Port game. He had put together a series of good games. So my take, which could be wrong, is that Pickett for example after being quiet last week will need to string 2-3 good VFL games together before he gets back in the AFL side. Regardless of the horses for courses argument because we won't be defined by wins and losses. Not sure how they will treat Cunners. 2 good games followed by one quiet. If he plays well this week is that considered consistent? 3 out of 4.

Kerridge 2 to 3 solids games. Consistency. Call up.

I think if Buckley plays well, it will be his 3rd straight good performance. Consistency. Call up.

Obviously if you miss a week or two with injury (Fish and SOS) then you don't have to go back down to VFL level for multiple games. Aka Thomas.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

If we can maintain a solid defensive 50 structure and have numbers in the corridor at all times we can be competitive.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:16 am 
Geoff Southby

Graham, Kerridge, Thomas & Smedts shouldn't be automatic selections this week. We have to pick a 'horses for courses' team. I dare say we'll see 1 or 2 unforced changes.

I would be tempted to bring Fish straight back in if he is good to go. We need an injection of pace. Give SOJ another week to get over his sore shoulder. Good games today from Pickett, Cunningham, Boekhorst, Buckley, Sumner and even Armfield would open up our selection options this week.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:49 am 
Bob Chitty

The guy we need to work out how to control is Steven. I think he'd burn Ed for pace and in my view we lack a run-with who has the necessary speed unless we give the job to Armfield despite his only so-so seconds form. At least we know he has the pace as well as the discipline for the job.

One thing I think we need to look at developing is a quick player with a good defensive mind-set. Perhaps Buckly could be given tasks in the seconds to see if he has the mindset, or one of the younger guys. Boekhorst has the pace but i doubt the mindset.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:
Also - can we finally stop coughing up junk-time goals?

Oooh. Hadnt noticed that befor D.S. Good one. :grin:
I would seriously love a surprise win for us. I do not like them. I really do not. Although I can like them more than other foes.
This is only going to get worse in the next few years as both teams for mine have great genuine rebuilds.
When is Fisher expected back?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next