Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

It is hard to describe how unpleasant Victoria Park was as a child.

For Collingwood Carlton games it was always packed to the rafters, dangerously so. Didn't know anything but standing room as a child and adolescent, and you were jammed in tight and could barely see anything. Standing on steel beer cans. Pissed ferals everywhere, screaming frothing and aggressive. Serious fights in the crowd every game. Noise like you wouldn't believe.

I vividly remember one game where a couple of young Collingwood thugs attacked this middle aged Carlton supporter who had been giving it to them. There was a code of ethics of fighting in those days, and multiples on one wasn't on, nor was kicking a guy in the face when he was on the ground. There was blood everywhere. My father and a few other random bystanders couldn't take it and stepped in and started swinging punches. My brother and I - just kids - were trying to drag him out. It was terrifying.

It was an absolute shit hole, no place for opposition supporters, never any fun, and certainly for my generation that experienced this rubbish dump, something that made you hate Collingwood even more.

I'm sure others of my age have similar recollections. Please share.

And we talk about the good old days :grin:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I never had a problem there.

Wojee wrote:
Harmes was out

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Essendon*.

Daylight.

Lock thread.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 am 
Bruce Doull

I smelt the worst fart I've ever been near one day at Vic Park in the early 90s.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 am 
Vale 1953-2020

CK95 wrote:
I smelt the worst fart I've ever been near one day at Vic Park in the early 90s.

Oh, didn't realise you were that close. Didn't recognise you with all that ranga hair....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 am 
Bruce Doull

Bloody vegetarians.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 am 
Bruce Doull

I've known/met some absolute flower Collingwood supporters over the years.

Went to a wedding once where I knew nobody & was set up to talk to the husband of one of my then wife's boring friends. The guy was one of the rudest, smarmy, creepy human beings I've ever met, KK included.

Agree re the respectful rivalry though. They do a lot of things well the pies. Community things.

Reckon they'll get us on Saturday by 2 or 3 goals

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

mandy wrote:
I never had a problem there.

:lol: :lol: :fight:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:58 am 
Geoff Southby

RickJ wrote:
It is hard to describe how unpleasant Victoria Park was as a child.

For Collingwood Carlton games it was always packed to the rafters, dangerously so. Didn't know anything but standing room as a child and adolescent, and you were jammed in tight and could barely see anything. Standing on steel beer cans. Pissed ferals everywhere, screaming frothing and aggressive. Serious fights in the crowd every game. Noise like you wouldn't believe.

I vividly remember one game where a couple of young Collingwood thugs attacked this middle aged Carlton supporter who had been giving it to them. There was a code of ethics of fighting in those days, and multiples on one wasn't on, nor was kicking a guy in the face when he was on the ground. There was blood everywhere. My father and a few other random bystanders couldn't take it and stepped in and started swinging punches. My brother and I - just kids - were trying to drag him out. It was terrifying.

It was an absolute shit hole, no place for opposition supporters, never any fun, and certainly for my generation that experienced this rubbish dump, something that made you hate Collingwood even more.

I'm sure others of my age have similar recollections. Please share.

And we talk about the good old days :grin:

Alluded to this on page one. I enjoyed Victoria Park so much as a kid I went ... once.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Wojee wrote:
My dislike of opposition clubs is pretty closely tied to how much I can tolerate their fans.

Essendon** supporters are the most self-entitled pack of pricks in the AFL (a true reflection of their club). I love my Dad, but when he starts talking about Essendon** I'm like "shut up f*%&wit". The ridiculous hashtags they all sported during the doping saga shone a light on just how far they are up their own arses.

Collingwood fans on the other hand are generally OK to talk to about footy.

Not the ones I talk to. There is a real nastiness always lurking underneath. Essendon* supporters are just ignorant and obnoxious, Collingwood supporters are frightening.
If you're over 40 I find it hard to believe that you don't hate them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

I reckon Joffa is a shit bloke. I hate him.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

thoughts?
they have a black and white jumper.
they have a prez with a large head.
we beat them quite a lot. especially in premiership matches.
they have a god awful chant which you never want to hear.
1/ because it is a soccer chant rip off
2/becaue it is obnoxious
3/because it means generally, that you have lost the game.
4/ because it reminds you that deep down, you really loathe this team and a good deal of its supporters - in particular when they are en masse.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm 
John Nicholls

Carlton and Collingwood are like:

Batman and the Joker
Superman and Kryptonite

They need each other. It's a symbiotic relationship that makes so much sense. The culture of Carlton. The ice problem in Collingwood. They each serve a purpose, cater to a demographic, have a reason for existing.

From my office near East Melbourne, up around the 30th floor and facing North it's easy to find their spiritual homes; to find Princess Park, you look orient yourself to the beautiful parklands and the University. For Victoria Park, you look for the housing commission.

You have an Uncle you don't like who goes for Collingwood, you go for Carlton. Your Carlton supporting older brother's the family's pride and joy - you go for Collingwood.

Essendon* on the other hand. Just a great big "why"?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
Carlton and Collingwood are like:

Batman and the Joker
Superman and Kryptonite

They need each other. It's a symbiotic relationship that makes so much sense. The culture of Carlton. The ice problem in Collingwood. They each serve a purpose, cater to a demographic, have a reason for existing.

From my office near East Melbourne, up around the 30th floor and facing North it's easy to find their spiritual homes; to find Princess Park, you look orient yourself to the beautiful parklands and the University. For Victoria Park, you look for the housing commission.

You have an Uncle you don't like who goes for Collingwood, you go for Carlton. Your Carlton supporting older brother's the family's pride and joy - you go for Collingwood.

Essendon** on the other hand. Just a great big "why"?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I remember going to Princes Park as a schoolkid back in the early 80's. The abuse would be going on for the whole tram ride up Elizabeth st from Flinders St station. We were just kids but there were drunken feral Filth supporters already looking for a fight from the train platform onwards. I remember 2 blokes punching on once as we stood in line waiting to get in to the ground, all to the melodic strains of Sheena Easton over the loudspeakers. Something like:

"My baby takes the midnight train.....Whack!!"

"He works from Dawn to Dusk and then........Whack!!" etc etc

I remember when the Collingwood cheersquad came around with 6 people holding a blanket at half time they were running around the boundary and people were throwing money out to be caught in the blanket. We had saved up a load of 1c bits and we were throwing them as hard as we could at the cheersquad people holding the blanket. At later games they came around wearing thick coats and hard hats to protect themselves from the copper storm!

End of the game more fights. I hated them then and still do!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:44 pm 
Robert Walls

2ndeffort wrote:
I remember going to Princes Park as a schoolkid back in the early 80's. The abuse would be going on for the whole tram ride up Elizabeth st from Flinders St station. We were just kids but there were drunken feral Filth supporters already looking for a fight from the train platform onwards. I remember 2 blokes punching on once as we stood in line waiting to get in to the ground, all to the melodic strains of Sheena Easton over the loudspeakers. Something like:

"My baby takes the midnight train.....Whack!!"

"He works from Dawn to Dusk and then........Whack!!" etc etc

I remember when the Collingwood cheersquad came around with 6 people holding a blanket at half time they were running around the boundary and people were throwing money out to be caught in the blanket. We had saved up a load of 1c bits and we were throwing them as hard as we could at the cheersquad people holding the blanket. At later games they came around wearing thick coats and hard hats to protect themselves from the copper storm!

End of the game more fights. I hated them then and still do!

Wow they were doing that at OUR home games??? :eek: :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

I always forget how much I hate Collingwood until I attend a Carlton Collingwood game.
I hate Essendon* 24/7.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Have utmost respect for Collingwood Football Club. Love how they've run their business since McGuire took over the reigns as President. They've also done great things for Melbourne. The Lexus, Westpac, Holden Centre of Excellence is great. Having the two's back on a part-time basis at Lulie St is fantastic as well. Always had close Collingwood friends and the respect runs both ways. It's a healthy rivalry no matter where we are on the ladder.

Actually, the 1987 Collingwood team reminds me a lot of where Carlton is right now. A lot of young players coming through at the same time. Talented - but not yet playing consistent footy, nor hardened enough to to see out four quarters against superior opposition. Won some games they shouldn't have, were thumped in games throughout the year....but you could see something. 3 years later they won a flag.

Never had a problem at Collingwood games. Essendon* and Richmond supporters were far scarier.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
I've known/met some absolute flower Collingwood supporters over the years.

FU

Wojee wrote:
Harmes was out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next