Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Pagan needles Fev
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Car ... 52011.html

Quote:
The coach stressed he was not criticising Fevola, but wondered how much better the long-kicking spearhead could be with better preparation.

Pagan said he had told Fevola: "You've got enormous talent and if you couple that with an improving preparation, there's no reason why you can't be one of the leading forwards in the competition."

"He's quick, he kicks the ball a mile, he's strong on the lead, he's 102kg, he's a big man and he can play," the coach added.

"You're only going to get out of it what you put into it.

"If he becomes obsessive - and he's been very good for us without even doing this - but if becomes obsessive, gee, he could take the Blues a long way.

"I'm not being critical of Brendan, I'm just making a fact - he's still quite capable of kicking a lot of goals the way he goes about it."

Just such beautiful Pagan, and so clever:

Hey, you might think you're doing Ok kid, but do ya want to be real good?

And hows that, "If he becomes obsessive...."

Scary!

Does Pagan chat with all his players through the media?

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Last edited by The Vet on Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

Fev has always had the potential....it's whether he wants to realise the fullness of it.

As it stands at the moment, he's LAZY. But, it's scary to think if he wasn't lazy, what he could be. I would say in the Lloyd mould, if not, better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:35 pm 
Serge Silvagni

The only person that can stop Fev is Fev. I get the feel he's slowly becoming more professional and better prepared but like Denis said he's good but he can become great if he wants to put in the hard yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think what should/will motivate Fev now, is that if he sees the rewards he's getting both in on-field results, and adulation off it with some preparation and dedication, imagine how much he'll get when he's prepared to put in as much as Denis wants. I'm sure Denis has been drilling this into him since last October.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:20 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Wangers wrote:
Fev has always had the potential....it's whether he wants to realise the fullness of it.

As it stands at the moment, he's LAZY. But, it's scary to think if he wasn't lazy, what he could be. I would say in the Lloyd mould, if not, better.

I don't see Lloyd play that much but I don't think he can kick them from as far out as Fevola - with this in mind he could definately be better than Lloyd. Can do all Lloyd does and has a bigger range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lloyd is a one dimensional full forward, wherease Fevola is capable of playing up the ground and hitting players on the lead from 60 metres, Lloyd cant do this, but is arguably more consistent kicking goals - Fevola as Pagan says can only get better - which is a scary thought for 15 other clubs. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wangers wrote:

Sorry but the way Fev is playing atm, he is NOT LAZY. He has been running up down the ground, he puts defenders under the pump and the way he has learnt to use his body is now is gr8. Last year yes i would have said he was lazy but going from what we have seen this year to call him lazy is being unfair on him cause he is working really hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:20 pm 
Garry Crane

If Fev can keep moving up the ground whilst still kicking goals that would be awesome. Brings others into play and the good thing is we seem to have other guys who will kick goals if Fev doesn't.
Keep it up big fella :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

fullmont101 wrote:
Wangers wrote:

Sorry but the way Fev is playing atm, he is NOT LAZY. He has been running up down the ground, he puts defenders under the pump and the way he has learnt to use his body is now is gr8. Last year yes i would have said he was lazy but going from what we have seen this year to call him lazy is being unfair on him cause he is working really hard.

spot on clint

ive been critical of Fev;s attack when he doesnt have the ball but @#$%&! me , his attack of the ball at the moment is probably better that when he has it.

Is his preparation not the best - probably a fair call, and if anyone would know it would be pagan, and from all the training reports over the last few months it would also suggest that fev just coasted through them and did "enough"

If he busted his ass, in a similair way to what Lance has done, well shit, i dont think it would be too hard for any of us here to claim that we have the best Full Forward and Centre Half Forward in the comp.

As it is Fev the way he plays the game, venturing up forward, but still able to act as a FF is probably coming close to being the best FF in the leauge. Lance - hell, a fit lance as robert walls said, Lance is probably "the best thinker" in the game and now his body can act upon his "vision"

Indeed there was one stage against the bull duds that he was "watching the game" and watching the flight of the ball and was working "the bounce" but it didnt come off and Murphy got the ball, but if it did it would have been another easy goal to lance. his reading of the game is amazing.

We have a spine people.

FF - Fevola
CHF - Whitnall
C - Stevens/Kouta
CHB - Thorton
FB - Livingston

we havent had a spine for a long long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:03 pm 
John Nicholls

I've actually gone out on a huge limb here and have selected Lance to win the Coleman this year. I posted this on another site.

If he is able to average 4 goals a game that equates to 88 goals for the year and, well you'd hope, that it would be enough to snag the Coleman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:10 pm 
Rod McGregor

PJ, did you mean Fev?

If not, I think your biggest problem will be Lance's team-orientation. He gives away quite a few goals via handpasses and shortpasses when he is within range (e.g. the short kick to Eddie Betts against Essendon*). Fev isn't too bad in this regard either, but he is a card-carrying member of the full-forwards' club so I would imagine he will do less of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:17 pm 
Bruce Comben

PJ dont just go out on a limb put some dollars on him its paying $51.Not only will you be a genius if your prediction comes true you can make some nice money. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:08 am 
Laurie Kerr

I thought Fevs game on the weekend was easily the best I have seen him play- running chasing tackling all around the forward line, and still managed to kick 6 and give away a few.
I think Pagan has had a lot to do with this. There is an obvious change in Denis's game plan with his use of Fev and Whitnal. Last year we were definitely too one dimensional in the forward line, and Fev was at the mercy of a defence who closed down his space and cut off his supply.
This year Fevola is keeping the defenders guessing- will he go further up the ground to get possession and send those sling shot passes back to the forward 50 or will he play the FF from the square role? Very hard for a defender to know which way to go.
Then you have the Mr fitness- big lance running and jumping and taking marks like he used to, also hard for the defender to know how to handle a fit whitnal- he is literally everywhere.
Even if they manage to close one or both down, up pops Lappin and Deluca to take a few marks. Add a bit of streaming Chambers and you have a great forward line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:27 am 
Geoff Southby

Fev's ability at half forward has been a revelation, no doubt about it. They used to try it to throw out the opposition backs and try to eak a 50m goal, but this pre-season the guy is playing as a CHF.

When we all sat down pre-season, I think most just thought Fev, FF, 60 goals plus yes please, and hoped for improvement from others. But Fev has improved, his running up the ground, his competing.... has just been brilliant. Playing upfield has also brought out how good a field kicker he is.... I'm jsut rapt with how he has gone. I'm over the moon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Early days yet but I have heard that Fev has really taken to his new mentor, Wayne Carey. I think wanting to show Carey how good he is can be a real spur. He is working hard with and without te ball and does a lot of team acts. Also he may be a bit more settled off the field. I think he's engaged to a slightly older woman who already has a kid so the maturity level is rising also

Post subject: Fev
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:36 am 
Geoff Southby

Reckon Fev is working pretty hard myself.All the preseason reports suggested Fev was not travelling that well.Attended one training session and an intraclub ,and was quite surprised myself.Fev trained really well on the occasion that i was there.Not ballbusting,but pretty damn hard all the same.Plus his skill level on the track was a real eye opener.Did some freakish things that only a player of the highest calibre could do.Also stayed behind after training for an extended session of goal kicking practise.Hardly bludging in my book.Also in the intraclub he seemed to travel far and wide for a kick.Covered a heap of ground.Sure,he didnt touch the ball much,but he was working hard.Its pretty evident watching him now that he has been working at extending himself to travel long and wide for the ball.More than happy with Fev.Could not fault him on what i have seen so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I think this is about the 4th year in a row everyone has been amazed by Fev's committment in the pre-season. He's now the record holder for goals kicked in the wizard cup, he's just turned 24, and let's be honest our record hasn't been that great. 12 goals against the Maggies helped, but he's played probably 10-12 games. This is both by goals kicked, sa well as chasing, tackling etc.

Point is he generally starts well and by halfway through the season appears to lose interest a little and gets sloppy.

Lets hope this year he is more committed, see's what he needs to do, listen's to Carey about preperation (maybe Braddles could come down to give him some coaching on that) and becomes the player he can be.

I reckon the bar has been raised even further now, Lance and Fev should easily get 120 goals between them and should be looking more towards 150, with Waite, Lappin, De Luca to kick another 60-80, 4 a week between the midfielders and suddenly we're very potent up forward and we've got 12-15 goals a week between 8 players.

Nice to dream hey!!

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

molsey wrote:
I think most just thought Fev, FF, 60 goals plus yes please, and hoped for improvement from others. But Fev has improved, his running up the ground, his competing.... has just been brilliant.

I reckon Fevola kicking around 60 - 70 goals at CHF and spotting up players in the forward 50 is a far more dangerous proposition for other clubs than just anchoring him in the goalsquare and him kicking 80 - 90 goals in a season.

Winston Churchill