Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: stronger midfield?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:14 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Chitty's Finger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:
We will need Kennedy and Setterfield to play lots of minutes in lots of games, which they should be able to do.

but too many of our kids just didn't get enough of it last year.

Couple really do need to pull the finger out possession wise.

That would be because they are young, undeveloped and lacked support from senior personnel around them.
Maybe you/we are expecting too much from the young, who should be playing in the reserves if not ready for senior footy.

Having said that, I am expecting a lot more from ALL of the 3rd and 4th year players in 2019:

3rd year: Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, SPS, Polson, Kerr, DeBois, Setterfield
4th year: Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Marchbank, Cuningham, Silvagni, Kennedy, Pickett, Garlett, Lang

If 70% step up by 10%, we have a team who can win plenty of games.

And our outside ball winners / ability was starved given our run out of defence was not part of the coach's plan. We even had to try Murphy back in defence to get it out of the 50!

EFA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Missing Shiel is a shame I suppose. I say 'I suppose' because I was worried we'd give up too much for him.

So we are taking the longer route to the midfield but I think Dow, Setterfield and Walsh won't need that much time. Probably in 3 years the midfield will be strong. Cripps will be 27. I can live with that.

Cripps. Setterfield. Dow. Walsh. All on ball is crazy.

Kennedy could be a player too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:

He DEFINITELY will be :smoking:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:28 am 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
Probably in 3 years the midfield will be strong. Cripps will be 27. I can live with that.

Just so long as Cripps can as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 am 
Geoff Southby

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 pm 
Bruce Comben

17premierships wrote:
We are going to need several players to have break out seasons!!
Lots of quality still very young....(Age) at the start of the 2019 season

Dow (19) 20 games
Obrein (19) 18 games
SPS (21) 42 games
Kennedy (21) 31 games
Fisher (20) 34 games
Cuningham (22) 16 games

Settlefield (21) 2 games
Stocker (18) 0 games
Walsh (18) 0 games

Murphy (31) 249 games
Ed Curnow (29) 143 games
Cripps (24) 81 games

Docherty (25) 92 games Could play midfield depending on strength of half back line

Did not include Polson, Lang or Silvangi as they are played predominately in other positions

Addition of one more midfeilder....Liam Stocker (Walsh has been coming for the last six months) doesnt sound like much but i think it tops off the midfield nicely for young mids!! A YEAR EARLY!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Our midfield is much stronger on paper.
Whether or not that translates to possessions, tackles, clearances and goals in the short term is yet to be seen.
If we can keep them together and add a gun FA next year, they will be a force to be reckoned with and so will we.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 am 
Bruce Doull

Continuity is key, and again shows the importance of having Andrew Russell on board.

We've got a club filled with young studs, but it's up to the club to develop them now.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Missing Shiel is a shame I suppose. I say 'I suppose' because I was worried we'd give up too much for him.

So we are taking the longer route to the midfield but I think Dow, Setterfield and Walsh won't need that much time. Probably in 3 years the midfield will be strong. Cripps will be 27. I can live with that.

Stocker, and Fisher. Plenty of quality inside players to allow Fish to play outside.

LOB and SPS on the outside.

I'm sure Cripps can live with that, and I'm sure we will add an A Grader for 2020 to make Cripps even happier.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Stocker, and Fisher. Plenty of quality inside players to allow Fish to play outside.

LOB and SPS on the outside.

I'm sure Cripps can live with that, and I'm sure we will add an A Grader for 2020 to make Cripps even happier.

Add an A grader to our midfield depth now and it could easily be the best in the comp by a fair margin ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stefchook wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Probably in 3 years the midfield will be strong. Cripps will be 27. I can live with that.

Just so long as Cripps can as well.

Agree with you, its very taxing on Cripps, but IMHO Kennedy , Newman & Bugg will be good great support in sharing the physical impact and I' m expecting Wlalsh , Stocker and Setterfiled later part of 2nd half too.
Stocker is a strong inside player with good burst speed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 am 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Continuity is key, and again shows the importance of having Andrew Russell on board.

We've got a club filled with young studs, but it's up to the club to develop them now.

Spot on and AR suffers no fools when it comes to implementing his regime and so it should be his way or the highway. 2nd half 2019 & 2020 will be very interesting , Cripps , SPS , Setterfield Walsh , Kennedy , Stocker Dow, O’Brien not many opposition midfields will be able to match our depth.
Silvagni and the team have been exceptional.
The amount of talent we’ve accumulated is just so exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-12-06/curnow-

Ed thinks we have bolstered the midfield with a lot of new talent with the grunt to go.
We 'use to' be thin in the midfield.

Everyone would be having a second look at our midfield:

Highlighted yellow played most of or all of 2018

Cripps Ed Murphy
Fisher SPS Kennedy
Dow Obrien Pickett

Walsh Setterfield Stocker

Plenty of talented Depth, obviously when we have an injury free list.

Bugg Silvagni Cuningham Lang Garlett

Injury free, we have a deep midfield.
The first 9 players listed above are a great staring point

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 am 
Ken Hunter

Seems like we keep forgetting Polson. Include him guys, he will be part of the midfield rotations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think Owies has more chance long term than Polson.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Our midfield competitiveness will in large part be determined by how well Russell can get the midfield additions of the last 3 years prepared.

We were simply the uncompetitive after 1/4 time in a lot of games Durban to fitness or just no mids.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:01 pm 
Ken Hands

The one player that continually frustrates me and I have the biggest questions and concerns about living up to his potential is SPS. He promises so much, but rarely IMHO, strings good, let alone great games together. I would love to hear other people's perspectives and opinions. I really wonder if he is going to suffer from the added depth and fitness of the young guys we have brought in and who will be available after recovering from injury. Will he turn into our next Yarran?

Post subject: stronger midfield?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 pm 
Robert Walls

Probably more like our next Houlihan. Mighty fine disposal but took a while to find his groove.

I feel like sps is a different cat from what one expect. He seems tentative and yet he’s hard as nails. He seems conservative with his kicking and yet he can spot up dudes like no one else.

He just doesn’t fit any particular mould that comes to mind so we’re waiting for sps to become SPS. I think he’ll be the anti Yarran in-so-much-as he will slowly realise his potential without the incredible flashes that Yarran showed.

In fact I feel we’re only talking about Yarran in the same breath as sps because of heritage. Because I firmly believe from an application POV and a skills POV and a positional POV there’s no similarity at all.

Then again it’s my birthday and I’m really quite drunk so

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:38 pm 
Ken Hands

The one player that continually frustrates me and I have the biggest questions and concerns about living up to his potential is SPS. He promises so much, but rarely IMHO, strings good, let alone great games together. I would love to hear other people's perspectives and opinions. I really wonder if he is going to suffer from the added depth and fitness of the young guys we have brought in and who will be available after recovering from injury. Will he turn into our next Yarran?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 am 
Harry Vallence

China Blues wrote:

He's 2 years in, we should cut him some slack. Not many are stars after only 2 years in the system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next