Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 82  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

Seeing the list in age order shows the lack of class we have in the core age group of 23-27 year olds. On that list, the talent from Docherty to Ed Curnow is quite poor. That's the group that should be driving the club forward, but in our case it's full of speculative players like Sumner, Buckley, Phillips, Boekhorst, Gorringe etc. Our lack of class in that age group is the biggest thing holding us down the ladder at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:57 pm 
John Nicholls

How many 37 year olds do we have on our list?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

I reckon Braddles could still hold his own in our squad....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

17th Premiership wrote:
I reckon Braddles could still hold his own in our squad....

Jake's only 17 years away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:55 am 
Rod Ashman

Watching on Fri night, I couldn't help but think our forward line might be enhanced if we could draft Darcy Vescio into the team :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
Watching on Fri night, I couldn't help but think our forward line might be enhanced if we could draft Darcy Vescio into the team :-)

We need a match winner in the forwardline.

Haven't had one since Fev.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am 
John Nicholls

I hate to say it because I hate them with a @#$%&! passion, but Hawthorn knows this isn't the answer bondiblue. Did they throw in the towel after they lost Franklin?

We need 22 match winners.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
I hate to say it because I hate them with a @#$%&! passion, but Hawthorn knows this isn't the answer bondiblue. Did they throw in the towel after they lost Franklin?

We need 22 match winners.

They started with a few in hand before they lost Buddy.

Roughead was/is an outstanding KPF: a match winner.

...and ruckmen who kick goals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... b2bac98ea7

Paul Brodie has joined Carlton’s recruiting team after completing a ban for betting on AFL games
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
6 minutes ago
Subscriber only

TOP talent spotter Paul Brodie has joined Carlton’s recruiting ranks after completing a 13-month ban for betting on AFL games.

Brodie will head-up Carlton’s national recruiting division alongside list chief and close friend Stephen Silvagni after Brodie’s time with the Giants came to an abrupt end late in 2015.

Brodie was forced to resign from his position at Greater Western Sydney when it was discovered he had placed a $100 multi-bet in Round 19 on five AFL games, including a Giants match.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/ed-and-cha ... ukljz.html

Charlie was typical of a type that Carlton recruited. They are all striking, Ed said, in the strikingly similar swagger they have. It's a pleasing level of arrogance that they will succeed.

"The last two years the guys who have come into the club have those personalities that are super competitive and you can tell that straight away, but they are quite respectful.

"They want to learn but they have a slight swagger, which is what you want. If you don't have that you won't make it.

"Charlie has that swagger in spades. But it's not just him, they are drafting likes. They are not over-confident but you have to have a bit of 'I am going to beat you' about you to make it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Now that's what I call a good interview/article. Actually tells us something we didn't know. He's a great senior player to have. Thoughtful, desperate, passionate. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 am 
Geoff Southby

It also backs up my psychology theory.....for years we have drafted the wrong types of personalities.

Glad we are onto it :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 17cfeacca1

Matthew Kreuzer wants to build early-season form before discussing contract with Carlton
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
February 26, 2017 7:30pm
Subscriber only

CARLTON free agent Matthew Kreuzer hopes to put ­together a solid chunk of early-season form this year before ­resuming contract talks.

The Blues ruckman is keen to stay, but neither he or Carlton are desperate to start talks on a new deal.

He was nearly moved to Collingwood in late 2015, but stayed after queries over his foot issues and put together a 21-game season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:02 pm 
Robert Walls

Effes wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/ed-and-charlie-curnow-the-blue-brothers-20170224-gukljz.html

Charlie was typical of a type that Carlton recruited. They are all striking, Ed said, in the strikingly similar swagger they have. It's a pleasing level of arrogance that they will succeed.

"The last two years the guys who have come into the club have those personalities that are super competitive and you can tell that straight away, but they are quite respectful.

"They want to learn but they have a slight swagger, which is what you want. If you don't have that you won't make it.

"Charlie has that swagger in spades. But it's not just him, they are drafting likes. They are not over-confident but you have to have a bit of 'I am going to beat you' about you to make it.

This is bloody fantastic.

Have always loved Ed Curnow at our club.
Fantastic bloke.

How refreshing that he came out and said categorically that yes, the players have expectations and they are pushing each other. None of this 'yeah nah' 'early doors' double speak.
I hope that the senior players are p%^&ed off at the wasted decade at the club. I hope they are mad, and have a fire in them to do better. No more wishy washy Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm 
John Nicholls

Bluey44 wrote:
Effes wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/ed-and-charlie-curnow-the-blue-brothers-20170224-gukljz.html

This is bloody fantastic.

Have always loved Ed Curnow at our club.
Fantastic bloke.

How refreshing that he came out and said categorically that yes, the players have expectations and they are pushing each other. None of this 'yeah nah' 'early doors' double speak.
I hope that the senior players are p%^&ed off at the wasted decade at the club. I hope they are mad, and have a fire in them to do better. No more wishy washy Carlton.

Despite being pre-season, Saturday was not a good look.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Agree, Saturday's game was a shambles, very long season ahead.
Hopefully Cripps and SPS added to midfiled rotations will make a positive difference.
Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:37 pm 
Serge Silvagni

One thing that bothers me is we have traded in a handful of GWS players and the only one to show any promise is marchbank.

We have used first round picks to get some of these kids and the most concerning thing is it looks like SOS has hand picked the wrong ones

For example how good did Jack Steele look today.

The pies have taken Treloar, Adams and Hoskin Elliot.

Josh Bruce destroyed us today.

This makes me question SOS's ability to pick real talent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:51 pm 
Serge Silvagni

One more thing before I get off the tram.

SOS needs to focus on the midfield. He's plan is to bolster the midfield through free agents and use the draft picks he has to rebuild the bookends

The way we are playing, he will struggle to convince any free agents to join us

flood the list with mids miss and more miss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

trublu wrote:
One more thing before I get off the tram.

SOS needs to focus on the midfield. He's plan is to bolster the midfield through free agents and use the draft picks he has to rebuild the bookends

The way we are playing, he will struggle to convince any free agents to join us

flood the list with mids miss and more miss

Agree, we need more high quality midfielders, SPS and Fisher were great selections last year , 2017 , I'm dreaming of Darcy Fogarty already a 193cm bull skilled with plenty of grunt and dash partnering Cripps the opposition will just tremble.
I admire Joel Garner too, a brilliant and silky player with talent to burn would drool at his addition More importantly we need additional picks somehow , trade Gibbs and our 2018 Ist rounder, because I think Brander would be a huge get too.
Another very good Tall forward is needed as a minimum.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 am 
Harry Vallence

Fully aware how bad our list is and what we have done the last 2 years but its depressing knowing that we still have these players to turnover this year or next.

Rowe
Thomas
White
Jaksch
Armfield
Palmer
Boekhurst
Jones
Lamb
Gorringe

and massive question marks on

Sumner
Graham
* a few others like Smedts etc.

then all the late round picks we took last year that may not last more then 2years!

As most of the players on the chopping block are recycled players I would hope we start identifying 1 or 2 players we need rather then get this bulk cheap as we can get them type mentality of trading we have for the last few years. We have been the leader in having recycled players on our list for a few years up to double of most clubs and we are still down the bottom so surely this tells our List Management team something??

Pick 7 for Jaksch Whiley and Boekhurst should be put on the white board before every trade period.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 82  Next