Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2017
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:09 am 
Bruce Doull

Insider and talent identification expert. We are blessed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

trublu wrote:
spock wrote:
Recruiters from other teams always have doubts when players go to different clubs . Spoke to a Port Adelaide recruiter he said Jack Silvagni would never make the AFL hewaswrong .go figure!

Jack is an average player. He won’t be in our best 22 in 2 years time

Average pace
No tricks
In between size
Only play 1 position

Is that for a 20yo or as a senior AFL footballer?

We'll see as he matures.
He's still a kid.
A bit early to call IMO.
I wouldn't write off any of our kids at this stage.
Kids are trying to develop in the seniors where teams like Swans give their players an apprenticeship in the NEAFL for the first 2-3 years (Mills and Heney the exception).

Has shown tricks and good knowledge of the game.
Perfect height for a 3rd tall.
Nice kick.
Building stamina.

I do expect more from him in 2018 too, because if our quality kids build their tank quicker, they may pass him.

I'm loving the competition for spots. Ball in his court.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:51 pm 
Robert Walls

trublu wrote:
spock wrote:
Recruiters from other teams always have doubts when players go to different clubs . Spoke to a Port Adelaide recruiter he said Jack Silvagni would never make the AFL hewaswrong .go figure!

Average pace
No tricks
In between size
Only play 1 position

Handy VFL player at best?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 pm 
Bob Chitty

billc3 wrote:
Interesting to hear Hardwick on OTC saying they had a review of their strengths at the beginning of the year and worked out how they should be playing.

Explains why a pretty ordinary team won a flag. Dusty's year is the other.

It's always an interesting call as a coach. Do you play how you should OR how you know your players can play. Often by the time you get players playing the way you want, the season or career is over.??
Tough one, but I think we've been plan focussed for years now to the detriment of many players.. Hopefully changes like Jones may be a new path.

Go you good things

This is something I thought Ratten did well. He managed to create game plans based on the strengths of the players we had. When we had our players fit and firing, we had some great results. But when Waite/Kreuzer/etc went down it made that same style ineffective and there would be a lag in adapting the style to fit the current 22. I think Hardwick would've been similarly challenged had Rance/Martin been injured.

It's evident that Ratten was getting the most (or at least close to the most) out of the playing group based on our subsequent results with Malthouse who sought to enforce a game style upon the playing group, regardless of their strengths.

It's interesting the idea that you don't want to be a one man team because what if Buddy/Fev/Carey get injured/shut down in a big game? Therefore, lets create a game style that doesn't demand such excellence from an individual and focuses on rigid discipline from the player group. Conversely, if that's the case, why bother trying to recruit the best players if you don't seek to utilise their strengths?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 am 
Trevor Keogh

I'm shocked people are already drawing a line through Jack's name. He strikes me as a person with a winner's mentality and great intangibles. Also, seems like he is setting a terrific example for his peers. I'm excited to see if he can take another step up in the next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

trublu wrote:
spock wrote:

Average pace
No tricks
In between size
Only play 1 position

He’s very smart, is good overhead and is very good at protecting the drop zone.

He also has the desire to get the best out of himself- I think his brother Ben (barring injury) will be a better player, but I also think that Jack will be a very good player for us.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

fjanyc wrote:
I'm shocked people are already drawing a line through Jack's name. He strikes me as a person with a winner's mentality and great intangibles. Also, seems like he is setting a terrific example for his peers. I'm excited to see if he can take another step up in the next year.

sometimes you need to let one go through to the keeper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

redback wrote:
fjanyc wrote:

sometimes you need to let one go through to the keeper

Continuously so far outside off stump, you just have to keep raising the bat......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

It will click for Jack after 40 - 50 games, he will be a very good player, watching him in those reserves games last year convinced me of that; he really stood out, he will be fine...not many dominate 15-20 games into an AFL career.

Post subject: List Management 2017
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I’ve put a line through him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

dane wrote:

lel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

dane wrote:

What's he done wrong for a 20yo 2nd year player?

He's shown plenty of signs of things to come.

With all that class and quality coming through the door over the 66 game rebuild, he may not make it, but its much too early to put a line through him.

Have you done the same with Williamson, Fisher, Macreadie, Pickett, Polson and Cuningham who are similar age and experience, but shown less, albeit with less opportunity?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:45 am 
Robert Walls

He’s taking the piss, bondi. Doing the reverse troll with a sarcastic twist lololol or something.

Love watching Jack play; looks like he has the fundamentals bang on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

fjanyc wrote:

Yes I think a bit early saying he's doomed. And he does have tricks, he is a very skilled and smart player.
He does need to find more of the ball though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Jack is good for a goal a game generally speaking and that's not bad for a young forward

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
dane wrote:

What's he done wrong for a 20yo 2nd year player?

He's shown plenty of signs of things to come.

With all that class and quality coming through the door over the 66 game rebuild, he may not make it, but its much too early to put a line through him.

Have you done the same with Williamson, Fisher, Macreadie, Pickett, Polson and Cuningham who are similar age and experience, but shown less, albeit with less opportunity?

Come on, bondi, man. Same team. Same team.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 pm 
Serge Silvagni

AGRO wrote:
trublu wrote:
spock wrote:

Average pace
No tricks
In between size
Only play 1 position

He also has the desire to get the best out of himself- I think his brother Ben (barring injury) will be a better player, but I also think that Jack will be a very good player for us.

Recruiting the son of a past champion is a just a feel good story for the club to sell during this rebuild.
It’s a smart move by the club and it’s been a great story so far but that’s all it is.

I don’t think Jack will be in our best 22 in a year or two.

I already have Casboult, Curnow, Pickett, Fisher, *Rayner and McKay ahead of him. It’s going to be tough for the kid to break into that forward line in a year or two.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

trublu wrote:
AGRO wrote:
trublu wrote:
spock wrote:

Average pace
No tricks
In between size
Only play 1 position

Recruiting the son of a past champion is a just a feel good story for the club to sell during this rebuild.
It’s a smart move by the club and it’s been a great story so far but that’s all it is.

I don’t think Jack will be in our best 22 in a year or two.

I already have Casboult, Curnow, Pickett, Fisher, *Rayner and McKay ahead of him. It’s going to be tough for the kid to break into that forward line in a year or two.

Im not sure how McKay, who has played 2 games is ahead of him. Pickett, who was drafted a year before him has shown less in his first 3 seasons than Jack, who was nominated for the rising star this season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Looks like their is a bit of competition for forward spots - which can only be a good thing.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:34 pm 
Bruce Comben

I think jack will be the perfect third tall like Gunston was for hawthorn when we have a better forward line .He has a lot better speed than people think and is still under developed like sos was when he entered the league.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next