Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:07 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Bit of a worry if they've abandoned plan A already.

Do the coaches know what they're doing ?

Post subject: 2017 expectations...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:14 am 
formerly King Kenny

Rexy wrote:

If they have readjusted, that tells me they do.

Post subject: Re: 2017 expectations...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:07 am 
Stephen Silvagni

The Normal One wrote:
Rexy wrote:

If they have readjusted, that tells me they do.

Hope so :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 am 
Harry Vallence

I tend to think we may see a season that is the reverse of last year, that is to start off slowly but
win games in the second half of the year once it all starts to click. Give ourselves a springboard into 2018.Usually the young boys fade as the season gets deeper but I am looking for our boys in their early twenties to lift us this year.

Cripps ,Docherty and an improving Buckley to lead the way. Marchbank to prove his worth with a few pre seasons under his belt.
Weitering also very important. Further improvement from Plowman who was very serviceable last year with limited preparation. Phillips to improve in the second half of the season after missing a fair bit of pre season.
Second year players Charlie and Jack to show improvement. Get games into Harry McKay, SPS , Fisher , Cunningham and Pickett.

Senior players have not got it done for us over the last 7-8 years and I wont be looking their way to get it done this year. There time has come and gone. The emerging young boys to find their feet in the second half of the year and give us some hope . Thats all i want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
I don't really get the negativity.

Struggling to see what our list has lost other than Zac and can see an impressive list of gains.

I have been thinking the same. I have been trying to figure out why we have been totally written off before season starts.
Touhy is the only loss
Do they not have faith in Bolton as a coach to improve on last year

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:

Struggling to see what our list has lost other than Zac and can see an impressive list of gains.

I have been thinking the same. I have been trying to figure out why we have been totally written off before season starts.
Touhy is the only loss

Well we lost Walker, Jamison, Tuohy, Everitt and a few others like Whiley and Tutt. Now we know they were not giving us much particularly later in the year but less informed critics see that as us losing a lot of experience and thus it will be harder to win games with a younger team.

Don't forget last year we also were under the pump during the pre season and started 0 and 4.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 am 
formerly Blue Boots

scottopee wrote:
Bolt from the Blue wrote:
Anything above 16th will exceed expectations. Don't wish for the spoon and don't want to go to new lows (16th is our lowest ever finish)!

We finished 18th in 2015????

Oh don't tell me we did hey. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheSwan wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:

Touhy is the only loss

Well we lost Walker, Jamison, Tuohy, Everitt and a few others like Whiley and Tutt. Now we know they were not giving us much particularly later in the year but less informed critics see that as us losing a lot of experience and thus it will be harder to win games with a younger team.

Don't forget last year we also were under the pump during the pre season and started 0 and 4.

Jamo didn't even front up
Walker hardly played and when he did was on one leg
Whiley and Tutt would have been lucky to play 4 to 5 games.
Everitt was vanilla and dropped continously.
Touhy was the only consistent contributor.
Marchbank Smedts Pickett and Palmer will add more than them and Murphy was out half the season.
The way I look at it I would expect us to improve on last years results .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
TheSwan wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:

Touhy is the only loss

Marchbank Smedts Pickett and Palmer will add more than them and Murphy was out half the season.

Yeah I agree with you but I am just explaining that a lot of critics just see us losing experience rather than actually understanding they had little impact last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well that's settled then.

22 wins and a clean sweep of the finals.

:thumbsup:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:46 am 
Ken Hands

Northern Blues side this week looks the most competitive since dunno when.

I was bullish earlier in the year and then brought down to earth with a thump witnessing the Saints game at Princes Park a few weeks ago.

However, a competitive Northern side will feed the senior team throughout the season with choices from players in form, youngsters stepping up, etc.

I'll stick with my tip of more wins than last year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 am 
Harry Vallence

I am expecting us to have a stronger interchange this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
I'll be there Thursday night but I don't have high hopes. Unfortunately I feel we've spent the past 4 months focussing on a game style that the coaches have quickly realised isn't sustainable. Their language and our progression in the JLT suggests we're rapidly trying to re-adjust but it will take time. I suspect by around round 4 we'll be in the groove. Hopefully I'm wrong and they've been able to rein it in earlier. Whatever the case, on Thursday night I suspect you'll see a significant change from what we saw a month ago.
Lessons for everyone involved. Personally, if the kids are getting preference and the future is being looked after, wins and losses won't be a huge issue for me. If we win 4 games, are competitive and pick up a Dylan Shiel or similar in the PSD, I'll be happy. :grin:

that sounds good, I hope you're right

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Can't expect too many wins this year.

If we can get 40 goals out of Weitering and 30 out of J Silvagni it will be a productive year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:21 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sydney Blue wrote:
TheSwan wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:

Touhy is the only loss

it's more about the improvement of other teams. clear improvement from every other team. while we are almost like an expansion team with all the changes over the last 3 years. the extreme turnover of players we've had is the most significant in the league.

those on-field combinations won't happen over night -or probably at all this season. our depth is a league worst too. Wait for kruez/ gibbs/ murhpy/ weitering to go down with an injury, and at that point we're basically the northern bullants.

this is much more than a who's off the list/ who's now on it issue.

Post subject: 2017 expectations...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
I'll be there Thursday night but I don't have high hopes. Unfortunately I feel we've spent the past 4 months focussing on a game style that the coaches have quickly realised isn't sustainable. Their language and our progression in the JLT suggests we're rapidly trying to re-adjust but it will take time. I suspect by around round 4 we'll be in the groove. Hopefully I'm wrong and they've been able to rein it in earlier. Whatever the case, on Thursday night I suspect you'll see a significant change from what we saw a month ago.
Lessons for everyone involved. Personally, if the kids are getting preference and the future is being looked after, wins and losses won't be a huge issue for me. If we win 4 games, are competitive and pick up a Dylan Shiel or similar in the PSD, I'll be happy. :grin:

I think the fast handball more attacking football plan is something our group isn't ready for.

Would of been better to keep up what we begun last year and maybe tried to tinker a bit rather than suddenly thinking we could become some free wheeling team when anyone can see we don't have the talent to pull that off.

Seems from the pre season and round 1 we have lost our organization and pressure we applied last year and made us quite difficult to break down.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

A bye is a good time to reflect.

Donstuie wrote:
As odd as it sounds, I think we'll show further improvement, but finish lower on the ladder. I hate to say it, but I expect we'll be fighting Brisbane to avoid the spoon, with the other "bottom" teams from 2016 all improving more than us (drug cheats, Freo, GC).

On track so far.

Quote:
I expect Cripps to continue to carry our midfield much earlier/more than he should, which will either make him elite or burn him out. I hope that Gibbs doesn't drop his bundle, and that Murph gets a full season.
Good and bad here. The bad is Cripps is carrying too much of the load, but the good is Gibbs and Murph both playing at a high level.

Quote:
Our backline will continue to gel and be our strong point, but like 2016 their workload will take its toll in the end. Weitering may not have it all his own way now that teams know what he's capable of, but he'll fight through it and mature further. I anticipate that Marchbank will show some very good signs, but would be surprised if he plays a full season. In fact (with the possible exception of Palmer) I don't expect any of our new acquisitions to play a full season. Docherty's leadership back here will develop further and I wouldn't be surprised if captaincy looms for 2018.
Unfortunately right on Weitering, but fortunately wrong about Marchbank and our draftees (touch wood). Docher's continues to be immense.

Quote:
Forward line will continue to be an issue, but we will see signs for the future. I expect Curnow (barring injury) to play a full season and provide some moments of excitement (maybe even a RS nom), and for McKay to play half the year but to take a bit of time to adjust. Levi will continue to be our main go-to, and frustrate the shit out of us in the process. I don't expect to see Jones play a senior game, with Jaksch maybe getting one last chance to prove himself. I expect Jack to be our leading goalkicker next year.
Wrong on a few counts here. Hoping Jack can kick more goals, Jones will be back in the team when he recover and it would appear that KJ is finished. The right is that Charlie is showing signs, and Levi still up and down (despite his goalkicking improvement).

Quote:
For other teams I expect that Collingwood and Richmond will drop down the ladder (Port could go either way), and that last year's top 8 teams will remain, except for one of St Kilda/Melbourne replacing Norf.
Richmond still may drop, but may still make the 8. Port have been a surprise.

Quote:
This all sounds like doom and gloom, and maybe it is. But despite all of this I expect that we will see the group take another step and there will be enough signs to show we're on the right path. Our selections in this draft will also be crucial to see how well these pieces of the puzzle continue to fill. It's just going to be a bumpy, slippery road, and IMO what we achieved in the middle of 2016 may inflate our expectations. But come this time next year the last of the deadwood will be gone, we'll likely have a very high pool of draft picks, and the final remnants of the Malthouse era will be gone.

Happy to say that I'm feeling exactly this.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Nice work Don, very close to the mark... Can't expect you to have seen how good this year's draftees would be, so pretty much spot on.

Oh, and Richmond is still 'very likely' :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14