Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: We are back
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

Pafloyul wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Leppitsch himself admitted half of his side is not AFL standard.

So they are going at about 20% better than Carlton, then?

Put the whole post in Paf..................that sort of stuff is a cheap shot by a sneaky sniper.Sort of like talking around corners.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Wins and losses are just one way to measure progress. You should listen to the coach. We are not about measuring wins and losses, we are looking for improvement. Well we beat Brisbane easily last time and this time we lost.

Our playing style has regressed in the past two months to the MM round the boundary and kick it long to a contest. For two months we played fast, attacking, run and carry, exciting football. We even won some games but then we stopped playing that way and winning.

The players love the coach and that's great but it doesn't compensate for a defensive setup that leaks goals like a sieve.
StKilda broke the WR for inside fifty marks last week and many of them were uncontested.
Brisbane had their best quarter since 2014 tonight and had a shitload of uncontested possessions inside fifty.

Are you happy with that?
We have wone more games. We are higher on the ladder. Our percentage is better because we haven't had a 100 point shellacking. They're just numbers. I'm worried about the style of play we have reverted to.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:

We have gone from embarassment to laughing stock in the space of a week............reckon us oldtime supporters are entitled to ask............when is it going to end.We are young,we are developing,we have heard it over and over till it makes you want to vomit..................that was a woefull effort up there today.PS Bolts.your gameplan was fine a couple of months back.Guess what ! everyone is onto it.That press is fine but that gaping hole you are leaving in the guts is heaven to our opponents.They cant believe how easy it is to waltz through their.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
Effes wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Effes wrote:
"It's never as bad as it seems, it's never as good as it seems." Bolton said.

We have gone from embarassment to laughing stock in the space of a week............reckon us oldtime supporters are entitled to ask............when is it going to end.We are young,we are developing,we have heard it over and over till it makes you want to vomit..................that was a woefull effort up there today.PS Bolts.your gameplan was fine a couple of months back.Guess what ! everyone is onto it.That press is fine but that gaping hole you are leaving in the guts is heaven to our opponents.They cant believe how easy it is to waltz through their.

I think the game plan is ok; there is just a lack of skill and inability to hurt the opposition.

Don't forget the captain last played in round 10.

Got great respect for you input Effes.You do a great job..............BUT..........gameplans are there to be exploited.And ours has been shredded for two months now.Ya gotta tinker and evolve.Hate to say it,but Bolts has shown himself to be the least imaginative coach in the comp right now.That should have been a walk in the park up there.Leppitsch himself admitted half of his side is not AFL standard.A bunch of second and third rate novices ran rings around us.Dont want to get into a quarrel with a guy of your standing Effes,but anyway you dress it up that was a atrocious performance.....................however,one thing you and i have Effes is never ending hope.But that brainstrust needs a good hard look at itself.

Can you point out where West Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney shredded the gameplan?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Effes wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
'We are back to where we were under Malthouse'?

How many wins and losses this year compared to last? What is Carlton's percentage this year compared to last?

Wins and losses are just one way to measure progress. You should listen to the coach. We are not about measuring wins and losses, we are looking for improvement. Well we beat Brisbane easily last time and this time we lost.

Our playing style has regressed in the past two months to the MM round the boundary and kick it long to a contest. For two months we played fast, attacking, run and carry, exciting football. We even won some games but then we stopped playing that way and winning.

The players love the coach and that's great but it doesn't compensate for a defensive setup that leaks goals like a sieve.
StKilda broke the WR for inside fifty marks last week and many of them were uncontested.
Brisbane had their best quarter since 2014 tonight and had a shitload of uncontested possessions inside fifty.

Are you happy with that?
We have wone more games. We are higher on the ladder. Our percentage is better because we haven't had a 100 point shellacking. They're just numbers. I'm worried about the style of play we have reverted to.

It seems you are dismissing the statistics because they don't suit your agenda.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

Improving over the season but last week and the first half this week was a throwback to 2015 in terms of effort execution and team cohesion

Still far too many one dimensional unskilled players another big clean out coming

Overall year so far a plus but if we lose to demons and then bummers will be a really dispiriting 11weeks where we couldn't fall crawl or get over the line should be able surely to win one game in the last 11weeks an indictment on a playing list that beat Geelong Port and the Carringbush earlier in the year

Good that we have introduced most of our draft picks and given them a taste
Still think Plowman Philips and Sumner will become players
Still a long way to go and need to have another good off season

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
Pafloyul wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Put the whole post in Paf..................that sort of stuff is a cheap shot by a sneaky sniper.Sort of like talking around corners.

Don't be so precious, it's just a quick way to get to the point. People need some perspective and if it takes a bit of facetiousness to help out, then so be it.

Post subject: We are back
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 pm 
formerly King Kenny

frank dardew wrote:
Improving over the season but last week and the first half this week was a throwback to 2015 in terms of effort execution and team cohesion

Still far too many one dimensional unskilled players another big clean out coming

Overall year so far a plus but if we lose to demons and then bummers will be a really dispiriting 11weeks where we couldn't fall crawl or get over the line should be able surely to win one game in the last 11weeks an indictment on a playing list that beat Geelong Port and the Carringbush earlier in the year

We were always having another clean out, and will again in 2017. 66 games is the rebuild period remember. We are in a better spot than any other rebuild we have done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

The Normal One wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

We were always having another clean out, and will again in 2017. 66 games is the rebuild period remember. We are in a better spot than any other rebuild we have done.

We have lost 9 straight ....longest losing streak in 10 years

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

Mickstar wrote:
Effes wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Effes wrote:
"It's never as bad as it seems, it's never as good as it seems." Bolton said.

I think the game plan is ok; there is just a lack of skill and inability to hurt the opposition.

Don't forget the captain last played in round 10.

Got great respect for you input Effes.You do a great job..............BUT..........gameplans are there to be exploited.And ours has been shredded for two months now.Ya gotta tinker and evolve.Hate to say it,but Bolts has shown himself to be the least imaginative coach in the comp right now.That should have been a walk in the park up there.Leppitsch himself admitted half of his side is not AFL standard.A bunch of second and third rate novices ran rings around us.Dont want to get into a quarrel with a guy of your standing Effes,but anyway you dress it up that was a atrocious performance.....................however,one thing you and i have Effes is never ending hope.But that brainstrust needs a good hard look at itself.

Not sure it was so much others coaches working through it, more a case, for some inexplicable reason, we back to the same losing structure of the first 4 rounds where we couldn't kick goal to save ourselves. Last two weeks have been more due to a lack of required effort. Why we went from the structure where we won 6 from 8 and looking like we could score anytime back to what we did from rounds 1-4 is beyond me. Coaching staff should be booted hard up the arse. At least today we went back to two key forwards and nearly kicked a 100 for the 2nd time this year, even if we did lose to a shit side. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Unfortunately our coaching staff did try to fix something that was working.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Pafloyul wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Pafloyul wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Don't be so precious, it's just a quick way to get to the point. People need some perspective and if it takes a bit of facetiousness to help out, then so be it.

Good point.And i do have perspective.....................but im effed if i know how you blokes can take that shit lying down.Im all for a rebuild,but sometimes a few hard cold facts need to be pointed out.If Bolton and Silvagni are sacred cows beyond criticism then heaven help this footy club coz it sure aint what made this club great..........a strong footy club is when everyone is on there toes no matter what there position.Not to be petrified to make a mistake,but always questioning and looking to do it better.And apologists for the footy club hinder that process by there well meaning but blind loyalty.The last thing our club needs are simpering yesmen.I have been around this club for well over a half a century and have always had my say.Dont want to big note coz im only an everyday rank and file member.But i have rubbed shoulders with a few of the high flyers around the joint,and guess what,they love honest from the heart feedback.Make yourselves known to these blokes,you will be pleasantly surprised how humble and downto earth these guys are.

The Carlton Football Club................Now Always Forever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:51 am 
John Nicholls

This talk of "we were playing plan X then, and won, and are playing plan Y now and lose" is overly simplistic. There are periods within a game where you need to play defensively (as the opposition gets momentum) and periods when you have the momentum/run yourself, and can play accordingly. There may also be opposition who are better at stopping a run-and-carry style, and teams that are vulnerable to long kicks. I think we've seen multiple styles of play this year for the simple reason that BB is seeing who on our list can effectively execute different styles/positions, and who are one dimensional. BB, SOS and co already know who's staying, who's going... and WHY. We'll see massive turnover again at the end of this year, and then again next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:54 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Army the Wonderkid wrote:
Molly wrote:
I reckon this season is 2004 all over again, so to see a pic of the doyens of TC from ten plus years ago is quite fitting.

Now come on... don't be shy. Who is in the picture?

I think Jarusa, CK95, tommi, pheonixjohnson, CarltonGod, Obscuratron, Blueseum, molsey and steve are in it.

I don't think pj is in that picture?

Wojee wrote:
Harmes was out

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

robertbb wrote:
This talk of "we were playing plan X then, and won, and are playing plan Y now and lose" is overly simplistic. There are periods within a game where you need to play defensively (as the opposition gets momentum) and periods when you have the momentum/run yourself, and can play accordingly. There may also be opposition who are better at stopping a run-and-carry style, and teams that are vulnerable to long kicks. I think we've seen multiple styles of play this year for the simple reason that BB is seeing who on our list can effectively execute different styles/positions, and who are one dimensional. BB, SOS and co already know who's staying, who's going... and WHY. We'll see massive turnover again at the end of this year, and then again next year.

Still don't go with something that's was a proven failure like using the wrong structure we returned from rounds 1-4. Nothing changed when we won 6 from 7, we were still great defensively and with our pressure but we had something more to kick to when going forward. Hence we got the ball in faster by learning to transfer the from defence into attack properly. That can only help development.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:37 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
I along with a few other posters have bagged the shit out of this club for the past 10 years why
The one man saviour philosophy
Living on past glories
Handed jobs to afl icons without a proper process
Quick fixes
Poor recruiting and trades
Now I ain't blaming sticks for everything but since his leaving have things improved
I'm 53 worked many jobs
Once simple fact
The most important fact is if the boss is shit the workplace will be shit
If the boss is good the workplace will be good
Our president may not be the best in front of a camera but old Marky knows what he is doing and isn't refreshing to see
And another thing I've learnt is success comes from the most unlikely sources

Let's be honest Bolton doesn't fit the old Carlton head coaching mould
He looks more suited to delivering newspapers from a school bag
But that all changes when you see his body language tone of voice and how he speaks
He speaks directly in a succint manner he cares for people

Compare that to Malthouse the total opposite
And yet Bolton is on under half on what Malthouse got and can only be paid out a month after he is sacked
Ironic hey
But that's life
Bolton was the correct appointment but the club had a proper review process with an astute varied panel
Silvangi has returned since sticks has left and are recruiting has improved 200%

We are back
Sure we will have some bad games. That will happen with such a long intense season but finally after years of keystone cops where getting it right

One guy I have been bagging the shit out of for a long time is Bryce Gibbs
Obviously a very talented player his lack of intensity and selfishness has frustrated the hell out of me
To see him assume the onfield leadership on Sunday after Murph went down was fantastic
To seem give White a hug after another effort to keep the ball in our forward nearly brought a tear to the eye
I guarantee you that Guys of Gibbs experience at Carlton will be saying to one another
Is this what should happen at a footy club
I can tell you whether it's at the game or in front of the box it's great to scream like a delinquent
Once again
Ive got the passion back cause I know where on the right path
Go blues

*bump*

Hang on a second, weren't we supposed to 'be back'? With the same board that you moan about every other day? hmmmmmmm please explain????

Post subject: We are back
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 pm 
Ken Hands

Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Quality thread necro.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Take back what I said about mlg
And I wrote that in 2016 before SOS screwed up the list

The list diabolically bad
SOS did well in his first year
Crap after that
Things change
Shit trades
Recycling ex AFL players particularly from GWS where he acquired these
Players with high draft picks then brings them to this club to prove to himself he was right
Sometimes you get it wrong

No good pickups with later picks
Given up 5 picks for 2 overrated players
Given Fasolo a lifeline
The wheels have fallen off because of the recruiting and list management

Let’s troll through every post everyone has written
I did say after last years draft that we would be crap
I did say many years ago Nick Stevens was a soft player
Reckon I’ve had got those 2 one right

I did think we were on the right track 4 years
Sadly I was wrong

Clearly if you sack the previous 5 coaches before their contracts are up
There is something deeply wrong with the club

Last edited by keogh on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sounds like this decision was driven by Cain Liddle.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We're back! I've missed being back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next