Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

There are studies my little friend Cecil
They have data
https://businesssideofsports.com/2015/0 ... u-support/

It's you who make no sense.

And now I know why we hardly know anything about you!

Excellent try though.. In the scrap heap with the others

Can you show me something now?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

jimmae wrote:
Here's my own personal anecdotal evidence: a competitive women's team would draw my sister and my cousin back into watching footy more again.

My sister, a former state league-level junior hockey player, was pretty interested in how the Northern Football League's women's divisions were going.

I reckon if I helped her with her disposal she'd be a superb midfielder to develop; she's got the bloodlines.

OK that's OK that's your opinion

But is she going to buy her women's league membership and men's!
Or will the membership entitle to double entry.
And will she go to two games per week?

If times clash how will that work?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Synbad wrote:
They have data

Congratulations, you've successfully identified something that should be ringing alarm bells in your head

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

Synbad wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Here's my own personal anecdotal evidence: a competitive women's team would draw my sister and my cousin back into watching footy more again.

My sister, a former state league-level junior hockey player, was pretty interested in how the Northern Football League's women's divisions were going.

I reckon if I helped her with her disposal she'd be a superb midfielder to develop; she's got the bloodlines.

She's a sporting snob, so she'll be personally invested in the women's team, but her interest for the elite level (which will remain the men's game in a contact sport) will grow and grab her focus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

The fact of the matter is this.
Everybodyi know by the time they have turned eight had chosen their team.
Usually it's family or peer group
In my case I grew up inner south east but has family close to princes park..
My family didn't pass down a football following tradition to me but geography of cousins did. Also helped Carlton was successful.

Any girl playing or watching women's league will not convert on the whole to a club.
That means her whole weekend is taken up by football and her money resources as well as time.
Will she choose to go to the women's or the vfl? Ozkick for little Johnny on Saturday morning too?
In reality the women's league is going to be highly niche and will never get out of the shade of the men's game... Never.. End.. Ever!

Plus it will have bugger all impact on this clubs chances into winning a flag... And more likely detract money from the cause.
If the club can't bankroll it
.. Does it drop the women's team and put that down to a failed experiment? Is it then unaccountable to the women's movement and women in Australia as well as those women who joined us because we had a women's team?

This is nothing more than a half baked experiment to pretend we're an upwardly thinking modern club.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

jimmae wrote:
Synbad wrote:
jimmae wrote:

She's a sporting snob, so she'll be personally invested in the women's team, but her interest for the elite level (which will remain the men's game in a contact sport) will grow and grab her focus.

A sporting snob? What's that mean exactly?
She watches the very elite athletes exclusively? In the most elite competitions?
If she does.. She'd be watching the men.
If she doesn't and is watching the women she's hardly a sporting snob unless she's snobby against the best of the best.. Or sexist!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

She'll be interested in the women's game because she would genuinely see that as a sporting opportunity for her that she's never thought to consider before (and athletically, she is more than good enough).

As a spectator, she will drift to the elite level, the men's game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

Look I need to go.. Things to see.
I need to get down and watch the women's football competition.. I'm a sporting snob...cheerios

Hope you blokes can make sense next time..
Wish my club was s powerful afl club perennially in finals and competing to win flags.. Nevermind with the other hocus pocus...

The afl can fund Female women's football competition for all I care and anybody interested can go along if they like.
This is about the Carlton football club and afl .
Nothing more!

And this is exactly the reason I don't join as a member.
The club is almost dead . it's skint.. It's s laughing stock.. It thinks it's going to win back credibility by giving away x dollars from every membership bought to prop up a competition that can't get itself off the ground.
Maybe I'm small minded and women will be as good as men and men like women one day.. Uherm

But they're losing focus and sight on what this is and getting themselves caught in a massive trap..

Now a question for you people.
Fair pay for women.

What's the rate once this happens.
( give it a few years) and who pays for it?

Last edited by Synbad on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

jimmae wrote:
She'll be interested in the women's game because she would genuinely see that as a sporting opportunity for her that she's never thought to consider before (and athletically, she is more than good enough).

And how does this impact Carlton exactly?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

http://thevine.com.au/entertainment/afl ... something/

AFL’s general manager of commercial operations, Darren Birch wrote:
“There’ll be a generational shift in this, we know that if you play the game you’re seven times more likely to go to a game or become a member. This is why women’s football is going to be so important in our growth of the game.”

% of female members 2015
Carlton - 28%
Melbourne - 31%
Coll, Ess, Rich - 32%
Hawks - 34%
North, Bulldogs - 35%
Saints - 36%
Cats - 39%

There was an article in the paper yesterday, trying to find it, that female participations rates in sport were netball miles ahead, AFL second and soccer third.

Massive market.....but we'll go with the tried and true wins games and they will come lol

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

Clearly I misremember our figure, @#$%&! that's awful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Synbad wrote:
jimmae wrote:

Basically it gives us a fighting chance to turn our fortunes around, by being smart about the evolution of the sport.

In terms of impact for you personally, it's a cartoon anvil-sized impact to your dogged and utterly worthless street smarts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

Synbad wrote:
They have data

Some valid information there, although is is a study on male sports in the USA, most specifically the MLB. I believe it is likely that females have a far greater influence in terms of influencing support for female sports teams.
I also raised the potential gains of attracting disenchanted female fans or new female fans who haven't previously supported a club. I believe there are financial gains to be made by attracting this audience.
Quote:
Aside from the digital revolution, the rapid rise in the importance, influence and value of female fans has been one of the most distinctive shifts in the sports marketing landscape in the last 50 years. This has been driven by some major societal and cultural changes around the world, and the increasing participation of women in sport, in particular at school.

We now see the impact of a second generation of young women growing up with a much higher chance of developing an interest in sport, and female sporting celebrities providing role models who are closing the gap with non- sport celebrities and their male counterparts. Fans are at the centre of the sports marketing equation and one of the primary reasons why sponsors invest in sport, and female fans are of particularly high value to some sponsors given their influence in purchase decisions.

http://repucom.net/women-sport/women-sp ... ship-news/

I think the ability to attract female fans is important given the societal changes we see and increasing marketing opportunities to females. Their influence on purchase decisions is not to be underestimated either, given we are seeking financial gain from operating a women's team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cecil no doubt and nobody disputes this
But the model will not translate into bang for buck..uherm

That's all good in theory but common sense points to disaster.

I'm unsure as to what our club if expecting.
I've seen nothing.. I must rely on Jim's secret views of figures.
His sporting snob sister who can't play the game unless it's billed onto an afl club..
And a heap of non logical theories about women being distinct to men as supporters but equal in wages and athletic beasts.

If they could do all this surely they can start up their own independent women's league and this women's league can be under the afl umbrella but fund itself

Can have men administrative people male sponsors male umpires .. Massage therapists doctors if they're suitable and are employed or used

Im asking why is this burden thrust upon the current competition where struggling clubs within this competition must pick up another by the g string so to speak.

There's no benefit because if there was that competition would ascend on its own

Are we saying women can't do anything at all by themselves?
And because they can't they can't come to the football?

Or are we saying they're equals and we must treat them as equals and were also going to have a blind competition and form a blind and deaf club because they also are equals

This thing is ridiculous
Wait till there's fair pay!

There are laws against sexual discrimination that I'm all for.
But whilst there are no women in Australia who can play in the afl league.
Happy to have women when they're good enough
There are plenty of men who can break into the women's competitive team.

Will they be discriminated against?

This is hilarious

It's totally ridiculous!

In this day and age.. This kind of artificial impregnation of sport with clubs having to foot the bill!

Like I said I have no problems with girls in the TAC system and drafted if they're good enough
The rest is bullshit!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

jimmae wrote:
Synbad wrote:
jimmae wrote:

Basically it gives us a fighting chance to turn our fortunes around, by being smart about the evolution of the sport.

In terms of impact for you personally, it's a cartoon anvil-sized impact to your dogged and utterly worthless street smarts.

The ebullition of sport? You serious?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yes mate, it's called forward thinking and being an early adopter.

We're not the first movers by any stretch, but we'll be able to reap the benefits early if we win the bid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Are we really turning this game into this game into another artificial plastic surgery and hormonal entity?

Seriously?

Create something that wasn't and then soft lens it pretending it's organic?

If a woman girl loves the game and is good enough she will been part of it at some level
It's free enterprise

If the competition or any club can survive and go forward it will

The artificial bits are ridiculous!

It won't benefit women who don't need to create things that they and men can enjoy

And it will not help those that have to subsidize

Back in the USSR!

Lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

I guess it's really back to just winning games of football...lol

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

Synbad wrote:
Cecil no doubt and nobody disputes this
But the model will not translate into bang for buck..

Without knowing any of the financial details it's all guesswork at this point. I don't expect any immediate financial benefits, but I do think it's feasible for the women's team to run at a break even in its early years (ie not causing financial harm).
What it will do initially is indicate a cultural shift and assist in rekindling the interest of female fans who've fallen out of love with the club, and will hopefully get the interest of neutral supporters. Over time this interest should build and eventually become generational, the same as it is for many supporters of the current team.
The women's market is increasing and their importance in terms of growth in revenue shouldn't be underestimated. Increased memberships and sales of merchandise are likely to go hand in hand with an increased interest in our women's team.
And while you've stated that the league is essentially being artificially developed by the AFL rather than coming about due to customer demand, I think they're actually ahead of the game here. Demand is growing and will quickly overtake that of other female sports in this country.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

the posters here are deluded to think womens football will save our club

the same posters that think pratt and mathiesons will save the club

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next