Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:39 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Having just watched part 2 and reflecting on part 1, I can't help but feel a touch underwhelmed.

I'm sorry for how potentially long-winded this might be, but there's such a good product in this idea.

Firstly, it's watchable. Totally watchable. But there's such a great story to be told down there and it's not all that difficult to tease out the major plot points or characters.

This is the first steps in the rebuild of an iconic sporting brand. Last year we were at our lowest ebb in generations. The leaping off point needed to be accepting and facing that era, that it didn't work out and that we are where we are: rock bottom. You don't need to slander anyone or be overly controversial, nor do you need to spend more than a minute detailing the disastrous 2015 season. Starts poorly, ructions emerge, a coach is removed, Barker takes over, we see a little growth, we go through a little hardship, we lose a legend, we see the emergence of Cripps...

We - the football community - lived through Malthouse's last days. The actions of both parties are on the public record. It's less about whose fault it is, more about this is where we are.

My issue with what we've seen so far is an absence of theme and narrative. Either the people making the doco don't know what either are, can't find either in the material they've shot or are incapable of expressing it.

Bolton, Trigg, Silvagni should be the director/producer's "holy trinity." They're the three driving the culture shift and therefore should take centre stage. The films suffer for a lack of face time with this chief three, something that could've been solved with the good old fashioned talking head interview.

At the moment Bolton exists as a sort of skeleton-like caricature. All rhetorical questions and new-age teaching philosophy. We get it, he's a teacher. Rather than see the same footage or theme over and over again (Bolton challenging the team with rhetorical questions), show him outline his philosophy in a piece to camera, then show it in effect in a meeting and on the track. The repetition of meeting room footage after a while becomes, well, repetitious. Yes, we're getting a look behind the curtain, but the excitement of that is washed away very quickly by the controlled flow of information.

In episode two we see a glimpse of Wietering told he's selected contrasted with Curnow missing out. Now, a filmmaker with awareness would run with the Wietering story first. His build-up in the rooms prior to the match, his warm-up on the field and the match itself. Narrating this with the footage underlaid? How about Jacob Wietering.

A night of personal excitement and achievement ends in collective disappointment for the number 1 pick. In the rooms congratulating and consoling his teammates is Curnow... next scene, Charlie's week on the track. High intensity training footage, quick edits, the young man with the coach's words ringing in his ears, "you're not far away, you're closer than you think." How does that story end? Why, with his debut!

It's a series of disjointed clips that don't exist in support of one another. They're like 2-3 minute vignettes that don't ultimately lead anywhere. If you're going to focus on the games, use Bolton to analyse or interpret them. If you're worried about cobbling a story together after you acquire the material, plan ahead.

The doco should've focussed wholly on the draftees. Right there you know you've got material no matter what happens. They're getting a game at senior level? Great, film the build up and monitor their development. They're playing at VFL level? Great, film their progress and tie it in to their development, give them a goal that they have to achieve, one the audience wants them to achieve: personal improvement and senior selection. They're struggling with injury setbacks? Film the fall out and their road to recovery.

Interspersed with that, of course, their teammates interactions (don't show Murph, Gibbs et al TALKING about leadership, show them leading!), their coaches observations and the man who is bringing the list together's appraisal of who they are, what they bring to the table and the Club's hopes for them.

Like I say, it suffers for a lack of direction; for a lack of something to say. Don't merely capture footage, but tell a story.

Finally, Adam Zwar's narration is beyond jarring. It just doesn't fit the tone at all. He's so earnest.

We used to be so good

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

It was pretty good but the Cheese makes some good points.

Let's hope the series continues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
Surely the players could, make that should, be issued with navy blue backpacks, not black ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should have got the guy who sold Steve Martin his blue Armani tuxedo in "Father of the Bride" to design them.

:razz:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

Would have been interesting had we not won any games to this point.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

The pre-season has been a tough slog

No :hitcomputer:

Shutup :hitcomputer: You Stupid :hitcomputer: Narrator :hitcomputer: :hitcomputer: :hitcomputer:

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 am 
Stephen Silvagni

How many shots did we need of the players running onto the ground?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:46 am 
Stephen Silvagni

It's good letting fans into the inner sanctum. Well done Carlton.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:30 am 
Craig Bradley

It's not just good, it's brilliant

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:52 am 
Rod Ashman

Not as good as part I. A bit too general. Apart from the JB focus there should have been some closer insights on a few other players and their journey. Wafted generally around the win loss of games rather then players development.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:46 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

So Fox dropped it for unknown reasons only to show a 30 minute thriller of Carlton losing.

Nice work Fox Footy :mad:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Was great to see the Leadership Group meeting
Really hope this series continues and that eventually its put together with all the extras ionto DVD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

I really enjoyed it.
Luckily we won some games or else it would be been a bit boring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 pm 
Bert Deacon

A great idea and I'm enjoying the series.
But the music at times.....yuk.

Regards
Pedro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluedog wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Going by the look of John Barkers son, we need to push for a coach father/son rule.

Best part of the vid.

Barker is just such a likable guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MPH78 wrote:
So Fox dropped it for unknown reasons only to show a 30 minute thriller of Carlton losing.

Nice work Fox Footy :mad:

I thought I'd imagined this advertised as being on foc footy... WTF? ANd to rub salt into the wound show a replay of a game we let slip against Geelong. @#$%&! those guys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Its been really good but agree part 2 was underwhelming. There has to be better behind the scenes footage than what they dished up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Totally agree, was umderwhelming. No substance and just became a quick mid season review with random inner sanctum clips. No mention of Simmo's significance in the Port win, the media reaction to our 4 straight or anything on the women's team and off field improvements.

I still enjoyed it as a die hard supporter but you can see why it only aired on our site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

Was it the same voiceover guy?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Megaman wrote:
Was it the same voiceover guy?

Unfortunately it was

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:49 pm 
Bob Chitty

Agree they missed out on how significant Simmos win was. That was a renewed group of men defying all odds for the heart and soul of the club.
The roar was so loud I couldn't even hear the siren

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next