Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

I would be working hard with the government bodies to not just ugrade PP to 45k stadium but also the park land surrounding the stadium be 'transformed' to build other stadiums such as soccer, etc. The northern part of town could totally capitalise on an inner northern city sporting complex. We need to work diligently however and win the governments and northern region and the the AFL will fall inline!!
Just my2cents.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Better build some parking and train lines and get rid of the local community which won't support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Even with a 15k crowd it's a nightmare to get in and out of there.

Not sure how you fix it with over double the capacity that people are asking for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

Simple. Just make Smorgyland a reality.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Hornet wrote:

Not sure how you fix it with over double the capacity that people are asking for...

Underground car park similar to Etihad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:41 pm 
John Nicholls

Underground train station while we're at it. (I'm being serious). Princes Park station, connected to Bendigo and then onwards to other rural areas.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

dane wrote:
Better build some parking and train lines and get rid of the local community which won't support it.

Sounds like a job for a demo crew

Hornet wrote:

They just need to kick open a few of the large gates in the 4th quarter and direct people to the alternate routes as the siren sounds; people just move like drones towards the one exit facing Royal Parade.

robertbb wrote:
Underground train station while we're at it. (I'm being serious). Princes Park station, connected to Bendigo and then onwards to other rural areas.

There's already a major rail route planned for the area; you're being a bit too 'agile and innovative' for practical execution.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jimmae wrote:
There's already a major rail route planned for the area; you're being a bit too 'agile and innovative' for practical execution.

Melbourne Zoo/Royal Park station will be closer to Princes Park than the proposed Parkville station.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 pm 
John Nicholls

I know I keep banging on about this, but we need to reconnect with our traditional recruitment zone in Bendigo, and push up to Echuca, Shepparton and Wangaratta/Wodonga. Having Southern Cross as the only termination point for v/line trains is useless - sure, it's close to Docklands but it's too far away from the rest of the CBD. Surely a termination point North of the city, with connections to the above proposed line would make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ok, I'm with you, I think I've figured out the logistics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRKmhjZy7hw

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

DocSherrin III wrote:
jimmae wrote:

Melbourne Zoo/Royal Park station will be closer to Princes Park than the proposed Parkville station.

Jewell's the next stop, it's equidistant on foot and has a tram stop that's a 2 minute walk from the station.

The Upfield line runs through North Melbourne, which connects up with Geelong bound services via Footscray station, and failing that, you can go one more stop up to Southern Cross station and catch a train up north where you like.

What you guys are talking about would shave, at most, 20 minutes travel time for a country commuter, and 5 minutes for someone in the Metro area.

This is without even considering that there is a tram right outside the gate that goes straight past Melbourne Central station and Flinders Street.

If it had another train line there, it would have service equal to the MCG, when there is a central hub 5 minutes away on the tram, and 10 on the train.

Had you come up with a tram service that connects the 82 with the 19, crossing over the 59, then you might be getting somewhere to helping with a logistical issue in that area by eliminating shitful bus services and helping what is a dead zone just 3 km from the CBD from a PT perspective, but this is just silly, kinda like the whole East-West link proposal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:29 am 
John Nicholls

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/what- ... n87lm.html

"The fate of Etihad Stadium could be decided this year with the AFL weighing up whether to take ownership ahead of the 2025 contract date and senior planners eyeing the site for redevelopment.

Potential new stadium sites being discussed include the North Melbourne site of the planned Metro Rail Arden train station south of Arden Street and land at Ron Barassi Snr Park near the Bolte Bridge."

Yes, that's right. North will claim an Arden Street. @#$%&! NORTH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 am 
John Nicholls

Jimmae, short of flying trains, there are lines already running towards Southern Cross. You use the same backbone tracks, and then fork off towards Princes Park. It's done all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:48 am 
Bruce Doull

Yeah but how awesome would it be to have all our supporters drop into the stadium from a HALO jump simultaneously

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

This is all because robertbb can't afford to live in Melbourne isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:15 am 
Bruce Doull

Stop killing dreams Dane, you're starting to sound like me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:39 am 
John Nicholls

:lol:

Actually I own a great apartment in the inner city and have a decent amount of equity, but that's not the point. Won't you think of the children Dane?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 am 
Robert Walls

Princes Park is probably a quicker walk from Jewell station (and from the proposed new metro stations) compared to the amount of time it takes to walk to Docklands stadium from Southern Cross station.

That trip across the walkway and around the gangplank seems to take forever!!!!
Especially on the way out!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Ok...less about transport - more about stadium methinks. I'm not sure who they've used for the Master Plan but whoever it is I do hope they've done a strategic facility needs analysis, business case development, funding justification development and as part of their work will lead funding negotiations for any proposed development. I can't see any redevelopment not including the the complete gutting of the Heroes and Pratt Stands - but the biggest question aside from 'why is this being done' will always be 'who pays?'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:57 am 
Bruce Doull

I'd actually start with modifying the Legends stand and removing the Gardiner stand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next