Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
At the AGM, Trigg gave the impression that Ikon becoming an AFL venue again was La La Land stuff. Etihad being bought by the AFL and us getting a better deal there seems a more realistic option.

not correct ..I recall trigg saying:

1 "if there is change in mind by the AFL" its a real option
2. if we spend $ not the afl on the development then the AFL will probably make it a venue

so reading between the subtle commercial lines - if Carlton take the commercial risk of the build and it can be approved by the afl as a venue

so the onus shifts on this non-visionary lazy Board we have at the moment to make it happen- if they had the smarts to do it and perhaps make it an A League Venue in the summer and show some political muscle as we did in the past regarding local residents - then its a live option.

to suggest it is "la la land" is just insulting to members and supporters who want it...

http://youtu.be/yCFB2akLh4s

keep going mate - attack the poster :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

teagueyubeauty wrote:
Why?

That was in regards to your last post to Doc Sherrin mosquito...

because I previously said the Carlton Board has to show some political muscle with Melb City Council and City Hall and ruffle feathers and start getting the club happening rather than saying ..".the computer says no...""

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Chill out Mozzie. I would love to play a few home games at PP. But the tenor of Trigg's response at the AGM gave me little reason to think it's a serious possibility. He entertained the notion, but I thought he went some way towards hosing it down.

If it happens I will be delighted, as long as it is economically and politically feasible and in the best long term interests of our club.

Until then, I will have to get my PP fixes by attending VFL games and open training sessions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
you are a confessed non- member, so your opinion is given little weight with respect

:lol: You think like a Carlton board member!! I'm an ex-member...but maybe I'm a potential member? Highly @#$%&! unlikely - but you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
Chill out Mozzie. I would love to play a few home games at PP. But the tenor of Trigg's response at the AGM gave me little reason to think it's a serious possibility. He entertained the notion, but I thought he went some way towards hosing it down.

If it happens I will be delighted, as long as it is economically and politically feasible and in the best long term interests of our club.

Until then, I will have to get my PP fixes by attending VFL games and open training sessions.

He may well have been, but he was clearly spruiking the concept at the game and on radio this morning.

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

jimmae wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

He may well have been, but he was clearly spruiking the concept at the game and on radio this morning.

yes - he was spruiking it - the age and the afl website are now pushing it...Trigg appears to get the message now after being a ceo for 18 months - if Trigg cant grow the membership which was his plan - hes got to do so something to grow the club...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
because I previously said the Carlton Board has to show some political muscle with Melb City Council and City Hall and ruffle feathers and start getting the club happening rather than saying ..".the computer says no...""

No one disagrees with this statement by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin III wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

No one disagrees with this statement by the way.

thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:36 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Its funny how before Sundays game it was completely ruked out by the club and afterwards it is a possibility. I think it was a tactical ploy by the club to get as many to the game as possible. Redeveloping PP has always been on the cards I believe.. just a matter of when, not if.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:42 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

better to focus on PP than Sundays scoreboard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

jimmae wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I think 'spruiking' is a bit strong. His message was along the lines of "unlikely to happen, but you never know" and it was in response to a direct question. What else would you expect him to say?
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-0 ... ark-return

When a politician or CEO goes out of their way to explain the impediments of something, you know it's probably not happening.

Anyway, nice bit of deflection from the club after yesterday's on field result.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I think the interest was generated from the commentators being genuinely surprised by the crowd and atmosphere at the little venue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
jimmae wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I think 'spruiking' is a bit strong. His message was along the lines of "unlikely to happen, but you never know" and it was in response to a direct question. What else would you expect him to say?

When a politician or CEO goes out of their way to explain the impediments of something, you know it's probably not happening.

yep...keep talking it down...not gonna happen....live on your knees....rather than standing tall...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
jimmae wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

yep...keep talking it down...not gonna happen....live on your knees....rather than standing tall...

Sorry, you've lost me... :sly:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
So the AFL throws money into Kardinia Park... but not into Princes Park.
So the AFL grants Hawthorn the use of Waverly for $1 a year... and flowers us with a shit deal at Etihad.

Pretty clear what's going on.

Waverley was an asset created BY ALL THE CLUBS and yet Hawthorn was the ONLY club that benefitted out of it TWICE. Double dipping please..

The funds from matches at Waverley between Carlton vs Collingwood, Carlton vs Essendon*, Carlton vs Geelong etc all resulted in an asset that the AFL then sold for a lot of money.

Surely the AFL should have decreased the annual dividend Hawthorn got as a result of the $1 rent scenario. Mirvac agreed to the $1 deal, but a strong AFL would have altered downwards the Hawthorn dividend or taken a cut out of Hawthorn's windfall when Hawthorn sold Glenferrie for $2 million. That cut could have then gone to the other clubs.

The Tasmanian situation has been a fiasco to be honest. Hawthorn has played the AFL to a tee. Ever seen the movie the Sting? The AFL has been stung by Hawthorn so many times...the Hawthorn board must have gathered around their boardroom in meetings and laughed their heads off.

And yet you can bet your bottom dollar the AFL won't have the money to put into redeveloping Princes Park...yet Hawthorn is about 30 million the richer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

tap in 79 wrote:
robertbb wrote:
So the AFL throws money into Kardinia Park... but not into Princes Park.
So the AFL grants Hawthorn the use of Waverly for $1 a year... and flowers us with a shit deal at Etihad.

Pretty clear what's going on.

Waverley was an asset created BY ALL THE CLUBS and yet Hawthorn was the ONLY club that benefitted out of it TWICE. Double dipping please..

The funds from matches at Waverley between Carlton vs Collingwood, Carlton vs Essendon**, Carlton vs Geelong etc all resulted in an asset that the AFL then sold for a lot of money.

Surely the AFL should have decreased the annual dividend Hawthorn got as a result of the $1 rent scenario. Mirvac agreed to the $1 deal, but a strong AFL would have altered downwards the Hawthorn dividend or taken a cut out of Hawthorn's windfall when Hawthorn sold Glenferrie for $2 million. That cut could have then gone to the other clubs.

The Tasmanian situation has been a fiasco to be honest. Hawthorn has played the AFL to a tee. Ever seen the movie the Sting? The AFL has been stung by Hawthorn so many times...the Hawthorn board must have gathered around their boardroom in meetings and laughed their heads off.

And yet you can bet your bottom dollar the AFL won't have the money to put into redeveloping Princes Park...yet Hawthorn is about 30 million the richer.

throw in 30 million to GWS last year...

a few million for Geelongs Kardina park

get the message folks - our board cant stand up to city hall...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm 
John Nicholls

We need to work a deal with the State Government for the development of a high speed rail link connecting the Northern corridor (Bendigo, Shepparton and Echuca) to Princes Park. This makes sense because it reconnects us with our traditional recruiting zone, and also in regards to the Northern Blues affiliation. I for one can't afford a decent house here in Melbourne, but would happily live in a beautiful town like Bendigo and take the train in to PP for my job in the CBD. I'm sure there are many, many who would agree with me.

Princes Park itself could (and should) be redeveloped as a health/wellness precinct. Yes, leave some of the ovals and parkland, but add an aquatic centre, gymnasium, a velodrome and other facilities (and services) related to health and wellbeing. Partner up with Melbourne Uni to offer a boutique school for the teaching/research of sports physiology, psychology, etc. At a stretch, this ties in with "Mens Sana in Corpore Sano".

Point is, we need to DO something. If we keep doing what have been, nothing changes.

If the above is stupid, pls don't hold it against me. Had a hard day at work and am already through four Hahn Superdry Premiums. Great drop btw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
We need to work a deal with the State Government for the development of a high speed rail link connecting the Northern corridor (Bendigo, Shepparton and Echuca) to Princes Park. This makes sense because it reconnects us with our traditional recruiting zone, and also in regards to the Northern Blues affiliation. I for one can't afford a decent house here in Melbourne, but would happily live in a beautiful town like Bendigo and take the train in to PP for my job in the CBD. I'm sure there are many, many who would agree with me.

Princes Park itself could (and should) be redeveloped as a health/wellness precinct. Yes, leave some of the ovals and parkland, but add an aquatic centre, gymnasium, a velodrome and other facilities (and services) related to health and wellbeing. Partner up with Melbourne Uni to offer a boutique school for the teaching/research of sports physiology, psychology, etc. At a stretch, this ties in with "Mens Sana in Corpore Sano".

Point is, we need to DO something. If we keep doing what have been, nothing changes.

If the above is stupid, pls don't hold it against me. Had a hard day at work and am already through four Hahn Superdry Premiums. Great drop btw.

nice thoughts - but if its not a 3rd afl stadium -no deal from me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:19 pm 
formerly King Kenny

We could use all that land that was allocated for east/west link as a car park now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I'm still stuck on why doc sherrins opinion shouldn't count.
I'd love games there again. Not sure how it's financially viable considering our position.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next