Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 am 
Geoff Southby

jimmae wrote:
I'd actually start with modifying the Legends stand and removing the Gardiner stand.

Is the Gardiner stand heritage listed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:15 am 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
jimmae wrote:
I'd actually start with modifying the Legends stand and removing the Gardiner stand.

Is the Gardiner stand heritage listed?

Had this discussion on BF; it's listed under the National Trust, but it's not covered by the Heritage Act. I don't think it would even qualify under the Act, but I'd defer to student of architectural history.

It's not a particularly unique site, it's pretty dilapidated, it's only the 2nd oldest surviving VFL stand and I really don't see how anyone would give a shit in 50 years unless they start using the ground as a regular stadium again.

Hell, save the posts and flag polls, and build a new Gardiner stand on one of the nearby ovals, and have TAC/VFL/VAFA curtain raisers before Ikon Park games. How good would that be?

Or 20 ways to start a fight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin III wrote:
Ok...less about transport - more about stadium methinks. I'm not sure who they've used for the Master Plan but whoever it is I do hope they've done a strategic facility needs analysis, business case development, funding justification development and as part of their work will lead funding negotiations for any proposed development. I can't see any redevelopment not including the the complete gutting of the Heroes and Pratt Stands -[color=#FF0000] but the biggest question aside from 'why is this being done' will always be 'who pays[/color]?'

feds, state, afl, private equity, fifa, IOC- its about a visionary Carlton Board making it happen...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ya know.......

it always annoyed me how shallow the
Legends stand was built...it was too flat...!

imagine if we had the top tier of Etihad around
the ground...?

two words for you...caul-dron...!

same gradient up...£#@%ing amazing...!

maybe even have a marque over it...
Spiegeltent style...think about the events
we could have there...?

and to celebrate the opening...we could have
a Jeff and Azuma re match...!

nahbutseriously...!

seriously...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Went to that fight.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

we have to get out of etihad as fast as we can as no-one with an Etihad home ground has ever won a premiership except Essendon* in the first year

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
we have to get out of etihad as fast as we can as no-one with an Etihad home ground has ever won a premiership except Essendon** in the first year

luke hodge was asked about the surface last summer when he was a guest commentator at the t20 and his measured reply was
you really feel like you have played a game of footy after you've finish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
we have to get out of etihad as fast as we can as no-one with an Etihad home ground has ever won a premiership except Essendon** in the first year

Considering only 2 Melbourne based teams in total have won premierships since then, I don't think this is the most convincing argument.

If playing home games at the MCG = flags, how do you explain the Demons & Tigers having approximately the same win/loss ratio as us over the period?

We were already crap before we left PP.

Not that I particulalry want to stay at Etihad. In fact, I don't enjoy going there at all.

If it becomes financially & politically feasible for our home games to be, say, an 8/3 MCG/PP split, I would do heel clicks. But it alone is not going to turn around our on-field fortunes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
we have to get out of etihad as fast as we can as no-one with an Etihad home ground has ever won a premiership except Essendon*** in the first year

Considering only 2 Melbourne based teams in total have won premierships since then, I don't think this is the most convincing argument.

If playing home games at the MCG = flags, how do you explain the Demons & Tigers having approximately the same win/loss ratio as us over the period?

We were already crap before we left PP.

Not that I particulalry want to stay at Etihad. In fact, I don't enjoy going there at all.

If it becomes financially & politically feasible for our home games to be, say, an 8/3 MCG/PP split, I would do heel clicks. But it alone is not going to turn around our on-field fortunes.

I would argue that it makes it even more convincing given the frequency that Melbourne teams play there compared to interstate clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs have enjoyed arguably their most successful periods since being tenants at Etihad. Let's not forget The Streak!

Btw, the 2 teams with best record playing at Etihad? Geelong and Hawthorn. Good teams win in any stadium. Our inability to win premierships has nothing to do with Etihad and plenty to do with us being shit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cecil89 wrote:
Btw, the 2 teams with best record playing at Etihad? Geelong and Hawthorn. Good teams win in any stadium. Our inability to win premierships has nothing to do with Etihad and plenty to do with us being shit.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

cecil89 wrote:
St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs have enjoyed arguably their most successful periods since being tenants at Etihad. Let's not forget The Streak!

I'm not disputing we've been shit, or that Geelong, Hawthorn, St Kilda aren't good/weren't good for a stretch, or that the Dogs aren't a good running side, I think the overall result is worthy of a closer look.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:33 am 
Rod Ashman

Etihad is a poorly constructed stadium imo in terms of its small size
The surface is not natural and therefore questionable
Financially we receive 45c for every carlton members dollar.
We don't train there, so how can we play well with any home advantage like Geelong or Sydney say...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:37 am 
Rod Ashman

cecil89 wrote:

Saints and dogs have not won a premiership. .....next

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:43 am 
Rod Ashman

Maguire is pushing to build Hisense - his new Victoria Park

So what do we think of our magnificent Board now?.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Tell him he's dreaming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:59 am 
Rod Ashman

dane wrote:
Tell him he's dreaming!

dreams are what gets things done.

maguire took over athletics australia - took the site and now a pies home ground

ITS CALLED THE VISION THING WHICH OUR CARLTON BOARD HAS GOT NOTHING...

the age says andrews government already briefed on the issue

what the hell is our club doing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I like the idea by Ed. It's more pushing his own barrow though...doesn't have much to do with Collingwood...probably has more to do with Carlton - it could be our new home ground! A 60,000 stadium is of no use to a big club like Collingwood. Perfect for a small club like Carlton!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:33 am 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin III wrote:
I like the idea by Ed. It's more pushing his own barrow though...doesn't have much to do with Collingwood...probably has more to do with Carlton - it could be our new home ground! A 60,000 stadium is of no use to a big club like Collingwood. Perfect for a small club like Carlton!

this statement is full of contradictions

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
this statement is full of contradictions

A little like the Herald-Sun article. In what capacity did McGuire brief Premier Andrews? As board member of Major Events Victoria? As Advisory board member of Evans & Partners? As the sister of Bridgette McGuire who is chasing a seat on Tennis Australia's board and is a former Director of Marketing at Tennis Australia? As Collingwood Football Club President? ....or as brother of Frank McGuire who was appointed by Premier Andrews to shadow parliamentary secretary for scrutiny of government - after just one year in parliament.

Eddie wears many hats. Collingwood are a big club. Carlton is a small club. Which part do you have a beef with?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next