Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:03 am 
Geoff Southby

Personally, I do business mentoring and most of the time I am just there to listen and offer an objective ear. Sometimes it's good to have someone outside of the immediate business to bounce off and it does help if they have experience in that field. I beleive a business mentors role is to help make the person question their own decisions and ultimately make the best decision for their business as only they know how.

If this is the role Walls is playing then it won't hurt, but is he the best person for that role, only the coaches can answer that. In my experience the mentored are usually the ones that pick the mentor and as long as it's not seen by the coaches as you're not doing well so here's an old timer to kick you in the guts, then it's a positive thing.

Saying this, if it was myself as a coach or head coach I would want someone who has had success in this millennium at minimum. Purely based on the fact that it's sometimes easier to relate to people around your age or marginally older. Which is something everyone keeps forgetting, BB has had the best coach in the last 20 years as a mentor. I think he knows what's what and I do hope that he doesn't take this as a slap in the face as it will work against the club, especially if he already has his own mentor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

murraycray wrote:
I can't see anything wrong with when a situation arises where Bolton may say to Walls ''what do you think''?

BB is then free to cherry pick parts of Wallsy's suggestion. Take on board what he thinks will work, and pass over what he thinks won't.

Robert Walls is not a dumbarse.

I agree. As I said, I'm happy for Wallsy to offer support but he shouldn't be there to critique or override any decisions.
If you want someone to offer relevant feedback, there's plenty of people who have been involved in the game more recently that could offer more value. It has nothing to do with age or personalities. It's about relevance to the game. Wallsy hasn't coached for over 20 years. Even someone like David Wheadon would be a better fit and he's older than Wallsy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:24 am 
Rod Ashman

My take on all this is that the club had the belief that BB had the capacity to control the coaching situation once Craig left but after our horror run last year they don't particularly believe he is under control (at the moment).
Walls is there for a couple of reasons.
Firstly for advice, match day or otherwise. Secondly for assessment and reporting to whoever is in power to make decisions.
Let’s not forget the people that put BB in the position want to give him every possible chance of succeeding to justify their decision. With Walls there everybody has another viewpoint to assess BB progress. Four years in and this might be the deciding factor if BB goes on and I think BB understands the situation. Who knows this might force him to get creative and a bit more flexible and might even accelerate our development.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm 
Ken Hands

Just do the complete opposite of what Walls suggests and we'll be back in no time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

redback wrote:
Walls is there for a couple of reasons.
Firstly for advice, match day or otherwise. Secondly for assessment and reporting to whoever is in power to make decisions.

I hope this is wrong.

If Walls’ role is to be available in the background for mentoring support to the coaches (not just Bolts), then that’s OK. As a development idea for our young coaches, then it makes sense. For example, if the club felt Bolts was spending too much time on developing the likes of Stanton & Davenport, having Walls come through a couple of days a week for them to chat to is one less thing for Bolts to worry about.

It gets murky for me if the ‘sounding board’ is then reporting to the Board on performance. As a coach, if I’m grappling with a problem or challenge, why would I go to Walls if he’s going to turn around and report to the Board (who decide contracts)? By all means, have a transparent performance review process - but don’t mix it with the mentoring function.

A seperate issue is Walls’ time out of the game. He should be kept away from the players and not have a vote in the coaches box. I don’t mind him being in the box (AFL & VFL) occasionally to observe - and debrief with the coaches afterwards - but he should not interfere. If the club want someone to contribute that way, they should have got a person with contemporary experience in different areas of football operations (eg. Tony Elshaug? Rodney Eade?), but then they probably would have to pay (I’m assuming Wallsy is doing it for free).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Walls is honest and doesn't suffer fools. Exactly what Lloyd and the FD needs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

No. They need someone who has a grasp on the current situation and what's required. Wallsy openly admits his coaching philosophies are from days gone by.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

Attitudes also out of the 60s and 70s as well - not sure why this is required or necessary and given lukewarm acceptance by market and carlton supporters of decision seems to be a misfire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:45 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
No. They need someone who has a grasp on the current situation and what's required. Wallsy openly admits his coaching philosophies are from days gone by.

He won't be coaching from what I can gather.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm 
Bruce Comben

He didnt want Malthouse - so I dont think he is too out of touch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dunno why you guys are fretting over Walls for......................appointing co captains is a real worry for me.It's neither your elbow nor your arsehole.Weak as piss for mine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

spiderman wrote:
He didnt want Malthouse - so I dont think he is too out of touch

He also thought West Coast would finish bottom of the ladder this year.

Imagine if he was footy spiritual guidance guy at West Coast (or whatever his role is here). Last pre-season he would've been telling them to clean out and start again because their list was no good, instead of backing them in and encouraging a few tweaks that will lead to success.

Is this really the type of judgement we want here, especially when the club hierarchy are probably low on confidence questioning all the moves they've made. Don't need to add another negative voice to exacerbate that.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:
Dunno why you guys are fretting over Walls for......................appointing co captains is a real worry for me.It's neither your elbow nor your arsehole.Weak as piss for mine.

Rubbish. Awesome decision.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

This Walls appointment voluntary or not epitomises why we are where we are. Rank amateurs.

Until we get the off field right no amount of first rounders will save us!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:

Yup strange descion that one, not really a fan of co captains, very indecisive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bmaurizio wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Yup strange descion that one, not really a fan of co captains, very indecisive.

Agree. Then again the Club has been weak and indecisive on so many other issues that it shouldn't be a surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 am 
Vale 1953-2020

In what universe is a strong decision about having the two best leaders in the playing group be co-captains, "indecisive"?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

moshe25 wrote:
In what universe is a strong decision about having the two best leaders in the playing group be co-captains, "indecisive"?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:clap: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

It's great because they can share the off foeld crap that goes with it and put their energy toward playing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

How do you know it wasn't a "strong" decision? How do you know they weren't wringing their hands and going "ohhhhhhhh... Doc... Paddy... Doc... Paddy... oh I just can't deciiiiide!" ??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 350  Next