Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Teague's time with Adelaide will benefit us if he is allowed to do his thing.
Adelaide had/has a great forwards structure despite is not standing up in the GF. To me that was a bit of an aberration.
Tex and Eddie in particular work well and any team that has its key forwards running at the ball carrier instead of just hanging about waiting for the long kick to Kernahan/Fev/Casboult is OK by me.If the midfielders are allowed to run a bit more as alluded to in that article, it will change everything forward of the footy and a more systematic approach to space and movement inside the F50 can be worked on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Let's hope so

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 am 
Bruce Doull

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton looking to add attacking element as Blues’ reset continues

Glenn MacFarlane wrote:
“There are two layers of excitement,” Bolton said. “One, I am extremely grateful and appreciative of the position I hold, and two, I get to do this with a bunch of young kids and some older players such as ‘Murph’ (Marc Murphy), ‘Simmo’ (Kade Simpson) and ‘Kreuze’ (Matthew Kreuzer).

“Fundamentally, we have a lot of players in their first-to-third years and some 200-plus gamers. If the first-to-third year players listen carefully to the stories and experiences of not only our coaches, but our leaders, they can fast track their development.”

Fast-tracking at Carlton used to be a euphemism for whatever quick fix dreamt up to get this once-mighty team back to former glories.

That was never going to happen on Bolton’s watch. This “reset” has only been two seasons in the making, but the coach has solidified its foundations.

“Year one was all about unity ... it was important that our members and supporters, the families of the players and our staff felt connected,” he said.

“Year two was about sticking to the road map, and not deviating. We wanted to be defined by pressure; to be hard to play against. We think we have achieved some of those steps.

“We think we can add some offensive layers in year three, even though we won’t sacrifice the non-negotiables.”

He wants his players better connected with staff and supporters. As a result, a different group of players have lunch with staff members each week. He has also invited some staff members to get a closer on-ground look at preseason sessions.

It is all about engagement, which extends to the club’s members and supporters.

“We know footy clubs take people on an emotional rollercoaster and that’s what is so great about our game,” he said.

“Our members and supporters can see we have stuck to a plan, and we haven’t deviated. We’ve gone to three drafts; we’ve invested in the kids; we’re harder to play against now; and we’re growing sequentially year by year.”

Plenty more in that article too. Worth a read.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Depth in attack excites Teague

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Like the look of our coaching line up but who is the head of data analytics?

I am a big fan of Bolton et al. but from the outside we look to be behind modern trends in coaching driven by statistical outcomes and data. And this possibly crosses over with recruiting.

For example Champion Data (CD) are highlighting that the role of big's is diminishing in footy, it is all about forward pressure to keep the ball in. Not sure we recruited many that hit this profile.

CD rated Jack Higgins as the player with stats for the modern game that are better than have ever been seen. And he has fallen to the Tigers and is perfect for their game plan. We recruited 2 ruck men, some teams aren't even playing a ruck man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I hate the rolling maul/pressure style. Hope Bolts opens it up with more run and goals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Coach B wrote:

I am a big fan of Bolton et al. but from the outside we look to be behind modern trends in coaching driven by statistical outcomes and data. And this possibly crosses over with recruiting.

For example Champion Data (CD) are highlighting that the role of big's is diminishing in footy, it is all about forward pressure to keep the ball in. Not sure we recruited many that hit this profile.

CD rated Jack Higgins as the player with stats for the modern game that are better than have ever been seen. And he has fallen to the Tigers and is perfect for their game plan. We recruited 2 ruck men, some teams aren't even playing a ruck man

Do CD tip Richmond to win the GF?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 pm 
John Nicholls

Coach B wrote:

Tall ruckmen are not dead, but one-trick-pony rucks are. IMO there's two ways to get the ball out of defence against a team that applies relentless forward pressure:

Basically, no more than 1 handball. Next:
1) Look for a short kick and mark to a team-mate which lets us reset, structure up for the next contest/possession (less risky - preferred)
2) Look for a long kick to an agile, pacey, tall marking target outside defensive 50 (more risky, they need to be on the move constantly behind the line, and smart enough to run to space as soon as we gain possession... but we have some fantastic kickers now who can hit them up). At stoppage, that player becomes the ruck.

Running the ball out of defense, or linking up with handballs, is risky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm 
John Nicholls

Coach B wrote:

Tall ruckmen are not dead, but one-trick-pony rucks are. IMO there's two ways to get the ball out of defence against a team that applies relentless forward pressure:

Basically, no more than 1 handball. Next:
1) Look for a short kick and mark to a team-mate which lets us reset, structure up for the next contest/possession (less risky - preferred)
2) Look for a long kick to an agile, pacey, tall marking target outside defensive 50 (more risky, they need to be on the move constantly behind the line, and smart enough to run to space as soon as we gain possession... but we have some fantastic kickers now who can hit them up). At stoppage, that player becomes the ruck.

Running the ball out of defense, or linking up with handballs, is risky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
I hate the rolling maul/pressure style. Hope Bolts opens it up with more run and goals.

Yep I think we should be trying to emulate the Hawthorn model not Richmond's.
The Hawks of 2012-15 would have beaten Richmond easily.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Dunno, maybe, but I seem to remember Richmond being the only team that could consistently beat the Hawks back then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:06 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Richmond is the least talented side to win the flag ever I’d say. Have to say they were a great team though.

Hawks model is what will win consistent flags IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Stone Free wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Dunno, maybe, but I seem to remember Richmond being the only team that could consistently beat the Hawks back then.
Richmond had a different game style back then so not relevant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sam Power (Football Operations & Integrity Officer) has been announced as the new GM of List & Recruiting at the Western Bulldogs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:25 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:

I'm not suggesting we copy Richmond or the Western Bulldogs game plan, but learn what has changed in the game to allow them to get across the line and pinch flag's.

Neither of those sides, nor Hawthorn for that matter relied on a marque ruckman. All used a cheap and cheerful, fill ins or recycled ruckman supplemented with key forwards on the ball. Richmond also had the Dusty factor, and having the best player in the comp. usually takes you a long way.

Hawthorn seemed to rely on star mid's, of which they had plenty, high level left footers so they could attack from either side, fast ball movement and deadly finishers inside 50.

The key change to the game since the Hawks is the measurement of time in forward half. So the metric has moved from, how much you have the ball to how long the ball is in your scoring zone, regardless of who has it.

The best example of an old school forward line is the GWS Giants who looked terrible with Stevie J (and I was a fan), Paton and Cameron. Once the ball was turned over it came flying out and put too much pressure on their mid's and this allowed the fast movement of the ball to their opponents scoring zone.

This concept of time in forward half, means you need different skills in your group. You need two way players who are defensive minded first but can kick a goal. You also have to think about how the ball enters the scoring zone, so you have prospects of keeping it there.

Just saying, data analytics is critical in understanding what is going on.

CB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Coach B wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Rexy wrote:

I'm not suggesting we copy Richmond or the Western Bulldogs game plan, but learn what has changed in the game to allow them to get across the line and pinch flag's.

Neither of those sides, nor Hawthorn for that matter relied on a marque ruckman. All used a cheap and cheerful, fill ins or recycled ruckman supplemented with key forwards on the ball. Richmond also had the Dusty factor, and having the best player in the comp. usually takes you a long way.

Hawthorn seemed to rely on star mid's, of which they had plenty, high level left footers so they could attack from either side, fast ball movement and deadly finishers inside 50.

The key change to the game since the Hawks is the measurement of time in forward half. So the metric has moved from, how much you have the ball to how long the ball is in your scoring zone, regardless of who has it.

The best example of an old school forward line is the GWS Giants who looked terrible with Stevie J (and I was a fan), Paton and Cameron. Once the ball was turned over it came flying out and put too much pressure on their mid's and this allowed the fast movement of the ball to their opponents scoring zone.

This concept of time in forward half, means you need different skills in your group. You need two way players who are defensive minded first but can kick a goal. You also have to think about how the ball enters the scoring zone, so you have prospects of keeping it there.

Just saying, data analytics is critical in understanding what is going on.

CB

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm 
John Nicholls

Moshe that's all you got from Coach B's insightful post?

You're about as useful as titts on a bull and way less entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Its a Mosche thing :wink:

Good post.

Richmond strolled away with the ball from Adelaide's talls in the granny.

Our forward half pressure hasn't been the best... I note Lebois highlights on the website.... Hopefully a focus this year.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:10 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Would it be ok if LeBois kicked goals too ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 am 
Vale 1953-2020

robertbb wrote:
Moshe that's all you got from Coach B's insightful post?

You're about as useful as titts on a bull and way less entertaining.
Noice. Quality post right there.

BTW, you spelt tits wrong.... :wink:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 350  Next