Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 am 
Wayne Johnston

redback wrote:
dablues wrote:
Robert walls to oversee the coach in a similar role to Neil Graig?

I would love this to happen, he would be a great confidant and adviser for a young coach. He would also give the board an experienced perspective and assessment on our leadership and progress.

With the mooted rule changes what we really need is someone who can help BB as a match day advisor as I foresee that we will need to be especially flexible in the first half of next season as opposition team tactics will be difficult to predict.

Can Walls play that role?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:39 am 
Garry Crane

sinbagger wrote:
With the mooted rule changes what we really need is someone who can help BB as a match day advisor as I foresee that we will need to be especially flexible in the first half of next season as opposition team tactics will be difficult to predict.

Can Walls play that role?

No, he can't.

That is the job that Brendon Bolton needs to do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:40 am 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Any team that resorts to a defensive game plan from next year when the AFL is about to change the rules so the game is more attacking and open is committing suicide.
The teams having tall marking players and runners will benefit. The defensive press inside fifty is dead after a behind for a start. The FB will be able to kick over it to the centre circle with ease.
The centre bounce will be open. Taggers will not be as effective because there will be so much extra space outside the drop zone of the rucks. We saw Grundy do something many of us have been talking about for a couple of years since the no third man came in. He actually hit the ball away from the contest into the open. Ruckit science. That will be easier and more common from next year.
I posted elsewhere that we may come out of this OK with players like Pickett, Garlett, Cunningham, SPS who are probably going to like the open spaces more than the crowded stuff we have now.
It behoves BB to develop a game pan that will serve the new rules and the list. Reverting to what we had in 2017 with everybody inside the defensive fifty and then everybody inside our F50 will see us cut to ribbons by sides who get the ball from a turnover. We need one or two tall players always inside our F50 with a link system through the middle or down one or the other wing from the defence. That will enable the small forwards to use the space if and when the ball comes to ground.

I once developed a game plan for a grand final waterpolo team that had not beaten their opponent all season. By quarter time we were 5-0 up and it took them the rest of the game to sort their defensive game out. We won by one goal. Think outside the box. At present it's too easy for teams to defend us. We need to radically change our ball movement from half back to 60 metres out so we have the option of a pass inside and not a long bomb. Harry or Charlie can mark as well as Cox. Collingwood changed their forward thrust to suit him in one week. We have six months.

A more open game plan would also suit our older guys such as Murphy, Thomas and Simpson.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

Looking forward to Charlie Curnow getting a run in the ruck at some stage...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm all for setting some senior coaching support around Bolton (IMO we underestimate Craig's absence).

But if we think Robert Walls, a guy who hasn't coached for over 20 years and is one of the most inconsistent "experts" in the media, is the answer we are well and truly [REDACTED] in the head.

Personally I don't think this would be the role the club is looking at, assuming this is even true. I'd suggest he'd just be an "old Carlton" figurehead to entertain the coteries.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:18 am 
Harry Vallence

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoECkJyUYAATs9d.jpg

Mark LoGiudice: Our playing list has been blessed with a great gift, and I'm gonna do everything I can to nurture that talent and help them succeed. Because that's being a good President. Right, Robert Walls?

Robert Walls: That's right. And if your kids give you any lip you can put them in a circle and let their teammates lay into them at training. It won't leave a bruise and they'll let 'em know who's boss. There's no doubt about it.

LoGiudice: But that doesn't sound right...

Walls: Are you giving me lip, boy? Because I'll take this belt off and make you have a run in the ruck! Is that what you want? How's that? Show us your thighs, Mark. You want to try the Scarecrow?

Credit: AFL Memes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

dablues wrote:

The time for Walls to be in that role was when Brittain or Ratten were in the chair.

Walls has been too long out of the game now to offer Bolts very much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

Is better suited on SEN

Like wallsy and was a really good player for the Blues commentary a bit like how he played the game

Not suited to Craig role more a Carlton ambassador /patron a role that Jeannie Pratt should play rather than being a board member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
dablues wrote:

The time for Walls to be in that role was when Brittain or Ratten were in the chair.

He's not in that role. It's just a general oversee of the whole football area not the coach. He's not sitting in the coach box. His days of doing Craig's role directly would've passed him by.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:15 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

redback wrote:
dablues wrote:

I would love this to happen, he would be a great confidant and adviser for a young coach. He would also give the board an experienced perspective and assessment on our leadership and progress.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
dablues wrote:

He's not in that role. It's just a general oversee of the whole football area not the coach. He's not sitting in the coach box. His days of doing Craig's role directly would've passed him by.

Isn’t Lloyd supposed to be overseeing football operations?

I reckon he is more qualified than Wallsy regarding modern football administration/coaching.

I love Wallsy but he has been out of the system for 20+ years! (longer than he actually worked as a coach).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:20 pm 
Garry Crane

Note, the story is NOT confirmed.

So, hold steady.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Any team that resorts to a defensive game plan from next year when the AFL is about to change the rules so the game is more attacking and open is committing suicide.
The teams having tall marking players and runners will benefit. The defensive press inside fifty is dead after a behind for a start. The FB will be able to kick over it to the centre circle with ease.
The centre bounce will be open. Taggers will not be as effective because there will be so much extra space outside the drop zone of the rucks. We saw Grundy do something many of us have been talking about for a couple of years since the no third man came in. He actually hit the ball away from the contest into the open. Ruckit science. That will be easier and more common from next year.
I posted elsewhere that we may come out of this OK with players like Pickett, Garlett, Cunningham, SPS who are probably going to like the open spaces more than the crowded stuff we have now.
It behoves BB to develop a game pan that will serve the new rules and the list. Reverting to what we had in 2017 with everybody inside the defensive fifty and then everybody inside our F50 will see us cut to ribbons by sides who get the ball from a turnover. We need one or two tall players always inside our F50 with a link system through the middle or down one or the other wing from the defence. That will enable the small forwards to use the space if and when the ball comes to ground.

I once developed a game plan for a grand final waterpolo team that had not beaten their opponent all season. By quarter time we were 5-0 up and it took them the rest of the game to sort their defensive game out. We won by one goal. Think outside the box. At present it's too easy for teams to defend us. We need to radically change our ball movement from half back to 60 metres out so we have the option of a pass inside and not a long bomb. Harry or Charlie can mark as well as Cox. Collingwood changed their forward thrust to suit him in one week. We have six months.

Jumpng at shadows BS.

What new rules?

If your alluding to 6/6/6 and the 18 yard line, they only apply after a goal or a behind. That's about forty times a game

If the umps start paying free kicks for dropping the ball and rewarding tacklers the game changes right away.

You have to start from defence. Not denying it. BUT we didn't attack from defence. That's what I'm alluding to. Please don't tell me we don't need to score more heavily to win games. We haven't kicked 100 points for three years. It's no coincidence we haven't won many games.

The 18 yard line just means the teams set up 18 yards out. I don't believe that. At the moment, we kick to someone in the D50 pocket or tap and run a few metres and try to kick long. The entire opposition team is set up t pstop that tactic. Nobody is going to set up 18 metres from the goals because they have to allow 5 metres for a start. The kick to a position from where a turnover will result in two possessions to score is now a medium pass. Someone like Touhy can put the footy consistently to the centre of the ground and perhaps further. If the 6-6-6 rules apply after a behind, it opens up the D50 an enables all sortrs of attacking options by kicking or running it out.You are believing some of the opinions, In truth I haven't really seen anything. I do live in the footy wilderness, remember.but there's no definete outcome from this, other than malcolm "I know everything" Blight. He's failed to address the first task and that is to see if we have rules in place to curb the problems with the game, and if we do, if the umpires are applying the rules or not, as this may be the problem. This will help. Allowing players to go 360 should be stopped straight away and be the sign for htb, not play on. Prior opportunity should be reviewed. The umpires have no idea what is prior opportunity.
We see it every week where players get the footy out in a split second but if they are tackled, they supposedly need to take two steps first.
And don't even get me started on 15 metres for a mark. If the umpires can't call play on when the FB kicks out and someone marks it one metre from the behind post we are truly redacted.
On this I agree with Clarkson. Clarko has developed a list over the years to play the type of footy we have now. Same with all the coaches. They don't want an open game because they don't have a list or a game plan to suit it. Clarko is also a master of playing on the edge of cheating so for him to say the umps aren't applying the rules is a bit of a red herring. Imagine if all of a sudden they weren't allowed to scoop up the footy any more or knock someone over willy nilly off the ball or generally bully tems. He'd go ballistic because they're all things he does.

Watch this AFL regime further @#$%&! up the game, as they meddle with the rules. They are not master coaches. They want to leave their mark on the game. Wrong reason for them being there, but they are.

Wait till the rules are released and see the impact they have before suggesting defensive footy is dead.

I think the general supporter seems to have lost site that our players, albeit kids, are great runners and will get better: all of them.
Have a look at the stats we do well in without being cynical. The are being hardened to endure mentally and physically. This has been BB's mantra since day dot. I like it as a foundation for any game plan, especially if its going to be a real running game in the future (and especially so if and when interchanges are further reduced as has been argued for a long time now).

I could go on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sam Mitchell.... what's happening on that front?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 am 
Bruce Doull

He's a bit preoccupied at the moment, so probably nothing.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GF? pffft.
if Sam can't get his priorities right,
we should sakc him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:19 am 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
I'm all for setting some senior coaching support around Bolton (IMO we underestimate Craig's absence).

But if we think Robert Walls, a guy who hasn't coached for over 20 years and is one of the most inconsistent "experts" in the media, is the answer we are well and truly [REDACTED] in the head.

Personally I don't think this would be the role the club is looking at, assuming this is even true. I'd suggest he'd just be an "old Carlton" figurehead to entertain the coteries.

100% agree. If the club is even slightly entertaining this, then this would be a massive mistake to call in a has-been that has literally been out of the game too long. Even if it is the great man himself, utter lunacy at its best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:20 am 
Geoff Southby

bluegirl72 wrote:
GF? pffft.
if Sam can't get his priorities right,
we should sakc him.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Just on Walls, he has been asked to help out. It is a mentoring role with the coaches and not a paid gig. Just giving something back to his club.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

woof wrote:
Just on Walls, he has been asked to help out. It is a mentoring role with the coaches and not a paid gig. Just giving something back to his club.

Well that's different then, a mentor is always a good thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 350  Next