Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Kerridge - one of our best - yet how many times did his disposal kill us?

Simmo - all heart - but seriously, how mnay times did his disposals hurt us?
Ed, all heart buttoo many times his disposables do not hurt the opposition (and sometimes they help them).

Thomas senior player - good season bnut poor game and when he did get the ball he butchered a lot of it.

Rowe, good game, but when he gets the ball....

O'Shea - just kills us when he gets the ball.

5 players to lead the kids - no wonder the kids panic when they have a chance to use the ball - their mind are filled with the efforts of th senior blokes.

Add Cripps playing hurt

seriously, I can see where we are going but until those 5 are not on the park for us we will win very few games because whenever we start to get momentum we invariably gift a goal (through those 5) to the opposition.

Its not a coach thing - its a lack of those older, more mature bodies and heads that can help the side when its in trouble - our senior bvlokes usually plonk us right into trouble!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

If you don't think picking a team, playing a certain way, continual skill errors and knowing what each of your players is capable of is a coaching aspect of your team, then please enjoy our teams non growth and frustration.
First few weeks it was our young list.
Last couple of weeks it was lack of mid 20 year olds.
This week it's our seniors and their lack of leadership.
Lack of skill but our youngsters are still young, trades are fillers, too many injuries, too offensive, too defensive, specific individuals from week to week, fmd
look at the way we play, how we defend, how we attack
it's a team structure and game plan we lack
We're not going to make the finals let them enjoy their footy and play footy.
He's playing the wrong players in the wrong positions and killing the team, not to mention cripps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:52 pm 
Harry Vallence

After watching our performance last night, I am more confused as to where we are heading

There in no system to the way we play. Going sideways and backwards will not cut it

Close to three years into our 'proper' rebuild and I thought we would be further advanced

Although, injuries have made an impact, I still believe we would be bottom two with those players in the side

In being that far behind the rest of the competition and with senior players being phased out, I really can't see how we make true inroads for another 5 years.

The big unknown is whether we can attract some good FAs. That may make a significant difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

redback wrote:
If you don't think picking a team, playing a certain way, continual skill errors and knowing what each of your players is capable of is a coaching aspect of your team, then please enjoy our teams non growth and frustration.
Lack of skill but our youngsters are still young, trades are fillers, too many injuries, too offensive, too defensive, specific individuals from week to week, fmd
He's playing the wrong players in the wrong positions and killing the team, not to mention cripps

We don't lack a structure/game plan at all. We play a defensive structure and game plan to basically limit the damage because the players available at the moment aren't skilled or experienced enough to play high scoring attacking footy.
Our good young players are playing and learning in the roles we want them to and our older players will still butcher the ball no matter what role they play.
As for Crippa, he's thriving in the engine and having his best year yet. Show me any other inside mid and leader who doesn't get banged up. He loves it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:56 pm 
Robert Walls

WOW wrote:
After watching our performance last night, I am more confused as to where we are heading

There in no system to the way we play. Going sideways and backwards will not cut it

Close to three years into our 'proper' rebuild and I thought we would be further advanced

Although, injuries have made an impact, I still believe we would be bottom two with those players in the side

In being that far behind the rest of the competition and with senior players being phased out, I really can't see how we make true inroads for another 5 years.

The big unknown is whether we can attract some good FAs. That may make a significant difference.

Seriously...are we really that far behind the competition?
Put aside the losses (which I know is contradiction to my argument) but Rich, Geel, Syd, WC and Adel were gettable games with ALL the injuries, ALL the clangers, ALL the youngsters, ALL the poor efforts from the senior players, ALL the players played injured, prematurely or lacking match practice (Kennedy, Marchbank, Kruezer, Byrne, Lang, Kerr, McKay, O'Brien etc.), ALL the kids down on form (Silvagni, Weitering and SPS), ALL the gameplan tinkering etc

And yes I understand the old coulda shoulda ifs and buts argument.

But really, did we just fluke those competitive (dare I say winnable) games against the 5 premier teams above?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

I agree Rexy we will be able to play a better game style when our kids develop further -really disappointing part of this year is that 3 of our promising backline macreadie Marchbank and Williamson have hardly or not played compare them to Rowe and OShea and how backline performed last year as opposed to this year
Moreover I think we miss more than dochertys obvious skill and class but his leadership as well not just in the backline but on the whole team

We do come unstuck by the ball butcherers and we have plenty mostly those in the 24 -30 age group and also Thomas and Simpson -these guys generally do it because they are limited footballers and ordinary skills
Our younger playersturn it over due to lack of experience but on the whole have much better skills

Also disappointing that Pickett after last year hasn't played a game don't have anyone who is a decent crumbed or got that elite pace to run guys down in our forward line

Would add seriously to our forward line

Injuries to Murphy Kennedy Lang Levi for multiple games has also hurt us

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rexy wrote:
redback wrote:

We don't lack a structure/game plan at all. We play a defensive structure and game plan to basically limit the damage because the players available at the moment aren't skilled or experienced enough to play high scoring attacking footy.
Our good young players are playing and learning in the roles we want them to and our older players will still butcher the ball no matter what role they play.
As for Crippa, he's thriving in the engine and having his best year yet. Show me any other inside mid and leader who doesn't get banged up. He loves it.

Yes we do lack structure and a proper game plan.
When you don't play the right players in position you deliberately go out to lose.
When you play a slow defensive possession game that telegraphs your attack isn't a game plan.
If you draft/trade unskilful slow dumb players you will never improve or set an example.
When your young players are stifled from growing when played out of position or get into bad habits their potential will be curtailed.
We don't have a proper avenue to goal.
Our young players always look to give off the ball regardless if they are in a better position or not because they haven't been given the authority to attack or take the game on. We haven't used the !@#$% corridor for 10 !@#$ years, nothing has changed.
We play a defensive game to lessen the damage but we play injured players until we grind them into the ground.
Yes we will improve over the next couple of years but if we continue with these preposterous methods don't bet on grand final tickets until after our next rebuild.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
redback wrote:

Yep ! got a way with words Rex...........thats the way i see it.Just gotta persist.Just keep playing the defensive style and let the players evolve in the attacking style in there own time.It will come...............jesus,the Swans have built a whole team culture around clogging up the game with there ultra defensive style.Even Vlad had 'em in his crosshairs.Who could forget the Vlad versus Roos stoush.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

If we recognize our skills are shit, WTF do we insist on taking the ball from the wing, to the half-back flank, to the back pocket, out to the back flank, across centre half back then back to the wing where we turn it over, they rush it down and kick a goal?

Someone, please explain why it isn't better to go long to a forward structure where we might have half a chance.

And FFS, man up!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

The Duke wrote:
If we recognize our skills are shit, WTF do we insist on taking the ball from the wing, to the half-back flank, to the back pocket, out to the back flank, across centre half back then back to the wing where we turn it over, they rush it down and kick a goal?

Someone, please explain why it isn't better to go long to a forward structure where we might have half a chance.

And FFS, man up!

We do go long Duke, we just go long to the advantage of the defenders or to midgets surrounded by kd.
It's not up to the coaching department to address at the moment as it's only bad skill from particular age groups and mindset because of particular age groups and bad skilled leaders.
In three years time they will address that issue but not before hand as it's part of the journey we have to take and the youngsters will magically improve their skill immediately after the current late 20's to 30's have left, but not before hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

your right, we should be killing teams with our youth, drop all the older players, play the kids, tell them to use the corridor, lead well and win every game. Easy peasy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

We're not that far away given we can most of the time keep the margin to around 5 goals even with our deplorable skills and composure.

We improve our skill and composure through natural growth and the attacking game style and scoring become relevant. Won't have to wait much longer IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Oh and I'm sure the AFL will implement measures that will allow for a more free flowing game as well which will help our growth.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

Last edited by kennyhunter on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

redback wrote:
The Duke wrote:

And FFS, man up!

We do go long Duke, we just go long to the advantage of the defenders or to midgets surrounded by kd.
It's not up to the coaching department to address at the moment as it's only bad skill from particular age groups and mindset because of particular age groups and bad skilled leaders.
In three years time they will address that issue but not before hand as it's part of the journey we have to take and the youngsters will magically improve their skill immediately after the current late 20's to 30's have left, but not before hand.

Will you stop regurgitating the same crap over, over and over again.!!
You do not have any idea what we are doing, and have never coached / managed anything in your life time and have no idea how to create a positive atmosphere in any organisation let alone your own. GO AWAY !!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

We had 3 lead up forwards in the side yesterday and decided to play Wright mostly forward .....our mids won the ball and had to stop, wait and kick back or sideways due to no forward in front of them......yep it’s not structure, it’s injuries and young bodies!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

Trigger wrote:
redback wrote:
The Duke wrote:

And FFS, man up!

Will you stop regurgitating the same crap over, over and over again.!!
You do not have any idea what we are doing, and have never coached / managed anything in your life time and have no idea how to create a positive atmosphere in any organisation let alone your own. GO AWAY !!

Baa Baa
What's the score?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:37 am 
Harry Vallence

We are on track with the plan set before the start of the season (won't be measured on wins and losses). We are aiming for a finish in the top 18. This KPI is on track to being met 100%. Go Blues!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The Duke wrote:

As you say "FFS", our key forwards are currently 19 and 21. Playing against All Australian defenders. We're trying to create space and draw extra defenders out to give them half a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:16 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

redback wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:
I will say however that I really hope we can do the stoppage work like the Swans do.

That hand balling to guys on the move out of congestion used to be something we used to do in the 90's better than anyone and haven't done it since Ratts retired.

Just not sure how much of that is skill and how much is coaching.

Our players are running into congestion when they get it. Our handball is more like pinball.
We hardly ever have players running past the player with the football at a mark or free to take a handball. The end result of that is that the opposition always has the numbers at the drop of the footy. When we were 2-1 to zip, the camera went to the Swans box and he said to the bloke in his right,
"we have to run it more."
Bang! Change of plan ten minutes into the game.

Agreed
It's not only coach killers but marriage killers (not always a bad thing...)
Handballing to someone who is running...straight into a tackle
Handballing to someone stationary...straight into a tackle
Kicking it to someone...with an opponent so close they need to be checked for an STI
Kicking it long...to a 3 against 1
Trying to pick up a ball when you know you're going to get tackled instead of soccering it off the ground and continue to push forward to the next opportunity
Forwards always playing behind. 80% of kicks from the middle to our forward line are marked by defenders playing in front
Allowing Kruezer to win the throw ins but then Kruezer does EXACTLY what they want him to do
Players spending too much time running to cover space after our kick outs that the player kicking can't kick to them bc they have their backs to them
Opp taking uncontested marks in a contested situation
lack of shepherding
Tackling woeful
Little intent to run to an open space
etc etc etc

every point you make is a coaching issue

Really?
Tackling without conviction and intent.
Turning back....running into tackle...

I think you're letting some players off lightly....senior players!!

Dumb decisions and clangers it seemed obvious at the ground it was player mistakes, not lowering eyes etc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 350  Next