Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

dannyboy wrote:
Jim that's why I am so glad you are not in charge of the club - we'd start again and again and again - 3rd year smird year - how many tails does it take to play the mouth organ?

Just to be clear....again, nobody wants to 'start again' because that would mean de-listing all the players we've drafted in the past 3 years.

There is no 'start again' - it's more like 'get it right' because right now, is NOT working.

Essendon* were stripped of most of their playing group and still managed to win 3 @#$%&! games!! :garthp: :garthp: :garthp: :garthp:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

and will Essendon* win a flag?

I do not want to win 4 @#$%&! games I want to win the flag - and that is the difference. Stop worrying about knee jerk shit scared cries because we lose - instead look at what is causing us to lose. Shaw hitting every @#$%&! St Kilda jumper he could find hurt (shame cos he can get the ball) Kruise going down so we had no real ruck, and worse no support for Cripps and Kennedy - and Kennedy had no preseason - and Marchbank is not fully fit and so on. Its not the coach, not now. Its the side we are fielding. Improve that first because your way is bullshit. No new coach will come in and not change things up - And if they @#$%&! those changes up we are now back again to the same sad shitty list place we are trying to finally get away from. Give it @#$%&! time. And no, three years is not time, no where near it.

We have drafted well

and now we move into drafting and trading well - spending the money, picking the pieces to help the kids. I seriously hope things improve next year but if we have half our side out injured again then I doubt it will and yet the list should be substantially stronger...and at some point the jump will occur -high enough? maybe not - and at that point bang on about Bolts all you want, but at this point lets get the list right with no @#$%&! distractions, blaming, changing of the guard etc etc etc...@#$%&! fog that we have been losing ourselves in since 2001

Worse year ever - yes because at this point in time its the worst @#$%&! list ever but I can see that changing - I cannot see it changing if we bring in the next @#$%&! Malthouse followed by rookie followed by Malthouse ad infinitum!

We've done your @#$%&! way of no good coach chuck and start again and it has got us no closer than that horrid day we lost those picks all those years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

SOS put it best.

"It's really easy to build a list to get to 8th, 9th or 10th. We could do that like that *click fingers* But to build a list to win a premiership will take time and patience"

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Do you honestly think we're closer to a flag than Essendon* right now?

I can see past what you say are results due to injury and see a group who have no idea WTF they're doing. I can see players brought in to the system who have poor skills and an inability to execute. Don't de-list players to make way for NB players - that's just too [REDACTED] up. If the players being brought in don't make our side 'better' don't bring them in. It's really that simple.

Bolton rolled the dice and has lost, IMO. He's sent us further back. If you think I'm just being impatient, you're wrong. I'm actually fearful for the future of my club.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We should go to training and ask the players if they know what they are doing ? ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
He's coaching a decimated team that is struggling to compete. What would you like him to say?

I would like him to stop lying for starters.

Carlton is not a good place and it is clear him and his coaching staff are clearly clueless.
Game style is all over the place.
Why have so many players gone backwards?

How would you know if it's a good place? Perhaps the players understand they are decimated by injuries but they can see the future the youngsters will provide. Any training I've seen the players are upbeat and enjoying themselves. Wouldn't Bolton have a better idea than you?

Game Style. What's all over the place? Give us some examples. Apart from filling holes everywhere, I don't know what you expect. On one hand he's being accused of being all over the place. Other posts claim he isn't changing it up enough. :grin:

Players going backwards. Has Cripps gone backwards? Charlie Curnow? Zac Fisher? SPS hasn't improved but he hasn't gone backwards either. Same with McKay. Most others are injured.
Weitering has struggled but lots of youngsters are inconsistent. Look at Ryan Burton. Touted as unlucky to not win the RS last year and struggling to get a game. He's playing under a triple premiership coach. The improvement of young players isn't linear.

Your patience with some slow learners should be acknowledged. Too much effort for me

We need an award for this effort. :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Duke wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
Jim that's why I am so glad you are not in charge of the club - we'd start again and again and again - 3rd year smird year - how many tails does it take to play the mouth organ?

Just to be clear....again, nobody wants to 'start again' because that would mean de-listing all the players we've drafted in the past 3 years.

There is no 'start again' - it's more like 'get it right' because right now, is NOT working.

Essendon** were stripped of most of their playing group and still managed to win 3 @#$%&! games!! :garthp: :garthp: :garthp: :garthp:

it's a pretty valid point imo. replacing bolton does not equal starting all over again. it's also not somehow declaring we got the rebuild wrong. all that is just panic talk. we're drafting in the right direction and building a good list. we seem to have gone backwards in skill development, and our on field results are lacking effort and are pretty much unacceptable.

so it's fair to question bolton & the surrounding staff.

i think it's a more reasonable fear to have with .... what happens when the list is finally healthy again, and if the results still don't come our way from bolton; but we've wasted another year or two of players like Cripps. or heaven forbid, lose him all together when his contract runs out. admittedly if cripps signs on long term with us, some of that fear is alleviated.

... but can this club cope with another season like this one? the stress on silvagni's face the other night seems to paint a club that's doing it tough on the field and tougher off it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
We should go to training and ask the players if they know what they are doing ? ...

Good idea. I'll go get the TC loony bus.
:thumbsup: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
The Duke wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Essendon*** were stripped of most of their playing group and still managed to win 3 @#$%&! games!! :garthp: :garthp: :garthp: :garthp:

it's a pretty valid point imo. replacing bolton does not equal starting all over again. it's also not somehow declaring we got the rebuild wrong. all that is just panic talk. we're drafting in the right direction and building a good list. we seem to have gone backwards in skill development, and our on field results are lacking effort and are pretty much unacceptable.

so it's fair to question bolton & the surrounding staff.

i think it's a more reasonable fear to have with .... what happens when the list is finally healthy again, and if the results still don't come our way from bolton; but we've wasted another year or two of players like Cripps. or heaven forbid, lose him all together when his contract runs out. admittedly if cripps signs on long term with us, some of that fear is alleviated.

... but can this club cope with another season like this one? the stress on silvagni's face the other night seems to paint a club that's doing it tough on the field and tougher off it.

Braithy, no I do not think the club or most of us would cope with another year like this. Another year with so many injuries; a year so fragile that even one or two good players out has spelt disaster. This because we have interim players for the transition as we rebuild.Then those players get showcased repeatedly on Friday nites thru no fault of ours. Players meant to help bring forward our young kids in the VFL. Our defense line blown to pieces...our rucks and spare rucks and sort of maybe ruck players all out.
Then the captain out..and then back but nowhere near his best...yeah...Only the strongest of us would survive another year like this.
Huge mistake to make a call on Bolts until we have most of the team in . Let's see in another year. Give him a good chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
Huge mistake to make a call on Bolts until we have most of the team in . Let's see in amother year. Give him a good chance.

yeah BG, deep down i do agree with this. give brendan a chance with a more complete list.

but, there are alarm bells right now. my head spins, at how much deeper our hole is going to be – if with a full list he still can't deliver. it could be a hole the club can't ever dig itself out of.

it's high stakes, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think a lot of people underestimate the strength inherent in well built and well maintained systems. If you build an assembly line or a business or let’s say a team then that system is as strong as its weakest link. If one of those links breaks down completely you need to replace it. Which is fine but if the part was better than the one you have on hand to replace it with then your system will be weaker still.

Our backline was a significant strength last year. Even some of the media trolls (who now criticize us) could acknowledge what we’d built. And the confidence that strength provided resonated throughout the team as a strong backline was taking pressure off the rest.

But that backline doesn’t exist anymore due to injury and we’ve had to steal from elsewhere to build a makeshift one further weakening the rest of the side.

People talk about the Swans having this great defensive system where they can just put one or two new guys in but let’s see how their backline goes if they lose five or six of their best eight options.

It all falls apart.

Guaranteed.

We’ve built a really good defensive group who were communicating well and learning to trust each other but for a lot of this year we’ve been without...

Docherty
Marchbank
Weitering
Plowman
Macreadie
Williamson
A. Silvagni

And at no time have we had most of them available.

Seriously, WTF do people expect will happen with a scenario like that?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:59 am 
Ken Hunter

Okay, so first Essendon* have to make finals - currently they sit 12th - so this year they are no closer to winning a flag than we are - remember when we flogged them in the finals - were we closer to winning a flag than them? Not so far (we are still both searching for it). Remember when we also beat Richmond - were we closer than them - No. they have won a flag since then , we have not.

Being closer is a perception supporters cling to but its not a reality. I'll accept a side making regular top 4 finishes is closer because they are giving themselves regular shots at the flag, but in truth all perceived incarnations of the premiership clock are just fairy tales for supports to dance around to. A side's chances can change swiftly - Bulldogs anyone? Richmond anyone? But they must have a strong, healthy list at the right time of the season, a list that bats deep, (particularly at the moment in midfielders and run and carry players) a coach leading a focused, united team and luck, always a slice of luck.

The only premiership reality is - did your side win the flag? I am willing to bet this year both Essendon* and Carlton will answer with a no. So who is closer?

If we recruit well, continuing to build this list, if Essendon* have another year in the middle rung - who is closer then?

Like us, Essendon* need to keep building their list, like us they need to see their flaws, address them and strive to get better. I accept it's a race, but it's not a sprint (regular top 4 sides might be closer to a sprint) so at this point I have no idea who is closer to a flag them or us, and neither do you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Huge mistake to make a call on Bolts until we have most of the team in . Let's see in amother year. Give him a good chance.

yeah BG, deep down i do agree with this. give brendan a chance with a more complete list.

but, there are alarm bells right now. my head spins, at how much deeper our hole is going to be – if with a full list he still can't deliver. it could be a hole the club can't ever dig itself out of.

it's high stakes, huh?

It is Braithy. It is. You have some calid points but we have had glimpses. This is the lowest point and better to get the injury wreck year out of the way now , rather than when we might be a real chance at finals. (Do not think of Richie Porte..do not think of Richie crashing 9th stage 2 years in a row...do not...) :razz:
Also some coaching staff turnover and surely medical/rehab practices updated etc. There is good reason to hope and even expect a massive upswing next year. Then we can see Bolts a bit more clearly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluegirl72 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:

it's high stakes, huh?

It is Braithy. It is. You have some calid points but we have had glimpses. This is the lowest point and better to get the injury wreck year out of the way now , rather than when we might be a real chance at finals. (Do not think of Richie portw..do not think of Richie crashing 9th stage 2 years in a row...do not...) :razz:
Also some coaching staff turnover and surely medical/rehab practices updated etc. There is good reason to hope and even expect a massive upswing next year. Then we can see Bolts a bit more clearly.

yep ... our medico and injury prevention needs to become a whole lot better than what it is. that and development should be the departments we spare no expense in fixing/ making the league best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
Okay, so first Essendon** have to make finals - currently they sit 12th - so this year they are no closer to winning a flag than we are - remember when we flogged them in the finals - were we closer to winning a flag than them? Not so far (we are still both searching for it). Remember when we also beat Richmond - were we closer than them - No. they have won a flag since then , we have not.

Being closer is a perception supporters cling to but its not a reality. I'll accept a side making regular top 4 finishes is closer because they are giving themselves regular shots at the flag, but in truth all perceived incarnations of the premiership clock are just fairy tales for supports to dance around to. A side's chances can change swiftly - Bulldogs anyone? Richmond anyone? But they must have a strong, healthy list at the right time of the season, a list that bats deep, (particularly at the moment in midfielders and run and carry players) a coach leading a focused, united team and luck, always a slice of luck.

The only premiership reality is - did your side win the flag? I am willing to bet this year both Essendon** and Carlton will answer with a no. So who is closer?

If we recruit well, continuing to build this list, if Essendon** have another year in the middle rung - who is closer then?

Like us, Essendon** need to keep building their list, like us they need to see their flaws, address them and strive to get better. I accept it's a race, but it's not a sprint (regular top 4 sides might be closer to a sprint) so at this point I have no idea who is closer to a flag them or us, and neither do you.
When you are on the bottom and winning one game with a percentage that could end up below 60%
It is pretty safe to say you are further away from a premiership than any other team.
Unless you are prepared to accept that the other teams will sit on their hands and do nothing and not improve.
Every year every team makes changes to their list .
We at Carlton think that our list changes will some how be much better than everyone else.
It is flawed thinking and it is why the club is in a minor meltdown at the moment.
With everyone from the boot studder to the CEO coming out trying to justify their actions.
We need the Iraqi minister of truth

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 am 
Ken Hunter

so you are saying every team in the AFL will win a flag before Carlton does. I call that bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The club is far more advanced than it was 3 years ago.
Losing games to Hawthorn by 138 points with players like Simon White, Jason Tutt, Brad Walsh, Blaine Johnson, Andrejs Everett, Tom Bell, Matthew Watson, Matthew Dick, Jayden Foster,Cameron Wood, David Ellard, Mark Whiley, Tom Fields, Robert Warnock on the list.

Look at the quality of the kids we have compared to then and the games we're getting in to them. If anyone cant see the improvement, they're not looking hard enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:

it's high stakes, huh?

It is Braithy. It is. You have some calid points but we have had glimpses. This is the lowest point and better to get the injury wreck year out of the way now , rather than when we might be a real chance at finals. (Do not think of Richie portw..do not think of Richie crashing 9th stage 2 years in a row...do not...) :razz:

yep ... our medico and injury prevention needs to become a whole lot better than what it is. that and development should be the departments we spare no expense in fixing/ making the league best.

:thumbsup: I tried asking OR about it, but he was too busy bickering with Keogh. :lol: :fight:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
The club is far more advanced than it was 3 years ago.
Losing games to Hawthorn by 138 points with players like Simon White, Jason Tutt, Brad Walsh, Blaine Johnson, Andrejs Everett, Tom Bell, Matthew Watson, Matthew Dick, Jayden Foster,Cameron Wood, David Ellard, Mark Whiley, Tom Fields, Robert Warnock on the list.

Look at the quality of the kids we have compared to then and the games we're getting in to them. If anyone cant see the improvement, they're not looking hard enough.
BV your a stats man
We are currently in our worst season on record. Could quite possibly end the year as the worst season of any team ever.
Forget about who we had when and who we have now currently the performance of the team is the worst ever.
To say that is more advanced is laughable at best.
Right now the players we had 3 years ago were performing better than what the current list is.
We can point to who we have missing but we were doing that albeit not to the same extent 3 years ago.
We by no stretch of any imagination are we more advanced than 3 years ago

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 am 
Harry Vallence

People speak about false dawns, I consider this a false dusk. We're not nearly as bad as what is being seen, for all the reasons outlined previously. With a full list and a good run with injury as well as natural development and the flow on effect that will invariably occur with a cohesive side, I think the jump up will be seen just as dramatically as what we're showing right now. Patience, I still believe in many ways with the young list we have these next couple of years are pretty much duping everybody - keep them together and we'll have a real shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 350  Next