Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Don't agree Duke no other coach has during his tenure had the list stripped back so much as Bolts
Raw results aren't good but player development getting games into young players and squad development important considerations

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 pm 
Robert Walls

The Duke wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
A bit harsh in my view someone will reap the rewards of all Boltons selfless efforts

Will be remembered more fondly for his contribution as the years go by

Nobody with that record will be remembered positively. Perhaps for all the wrong reasons.

After being able to watch 4/5 weeks, not going to get misty eyed about what we watched in the previous 33 games.

Bolton gets credit for helping the club unify, keeping the young list from wanting to abandon ship and instilling a defensive mindset. But his coaching is now shown to not have been a strength.

And as others have succinctly said. It was always about tomorrow without an eye on today, and the kids weren’t capable and the old players weren’t allowed to contribute enough. Great that so many kids got huge minutes in the midfield, but they weren’t capable and the results showed.

The right decision was made by the club. They didn’t suffer any sunk costs and have probably saved an exodus of players if they clung on in hope. They get a tick for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

Should have ended last year

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm 
Ken Hands

My son in law played under Bolts when he coached the then Tassie Devils in the VFL ,and he said that he coached like a school teacher (totally controlling ) and was very very stubborn on his thoughts of how the game should be played . I think this was probably his ultimate downfall . Having said that I wish him all the best for the future and believe that he had the very best of intentions for the club and players.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Waterman wrote:
My son in law played under Bolts when he coached the then Tassie Devils in the VFL ,and he said that he coached like a school teacher (totally controlling ) and was very very stubborn on his thoughts of how the game should be played . I think this was probably his ultimate downfall . Having said that I wish him all the best for the future and believe that he had the very best of intentions for the club and players.

This is how it appeared from afar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Waterman wrote:

Controlling and stubborn school teachers have been some of the best coaches the game has seen. John Kennedy coached David Parkin and Alistair Clarkson. Both were teachers, as was Bolton. This was exactly what Carlton wanted. That direct John Kennedy lineage that he had was an important part of him getting the job. And it makes perfect sense on paper to use those teaching principles (pardon the pun) on a young list. It makes less sense to over-educate and over-complicate football to footballers. That was his downfall. Like Ratts - he's a very good assistant coach. I hope he gets another crack at that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm 
Bob Chitty

Bolts deserves credit for getting games into the youngsters and keeping the vide around the club relatively positive during his tenure.

In the end he wasn’t able to instil any confidence in the playing group due to the win-loss record getting ugly.

Teague has gone back to basics putting more mature bodies around the ball (Ed and Murph) and this is paying dividends. This has led to wins and also more importantly belief in the group. It’s grwat to finally watch a team that believes and plays for each other

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

DocSherrin III wrote:
Waterman wrote:

Controlling and stubborn school teachers have been some of the best coaches the game has seen. John Kennedy coached David Parkin and Alistair Clarkson. Both were teachers, as was Bolton. This was exactly what Carlton wanted. That direct John Kennedy lineage that he had was an important part of him getting the job. And it makes perfect sense on paper to use those teaching principles (pardon the pun) on a young list. It makes less sense to over-educate and over-complicate football to footballers. That was his downfall. Like Ratts - he's a very good assistant coach. I hope he gets another crack at that.

One thing being a teacher, the other is being able to coach. Like any teacher at school there's good teachers and shit teachers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am 
Harry Vallence

Just on Bolton’s credit for our current revival,
Siri could have got games into youngsters, if that’s the job.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:41 pm 
Banned

Mark Neeld was also a teacher that didn't go well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh wrote:

Good teachers aren't always good principals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 pm 
Rod McGregor

DocSherrin III wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Good teachers don't always end up as principals, mostly by choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jiahao Blue wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Good teachers don't always end up as principals, mostly by choice.

Good point Jiahao. Do we know if Teague actually wants the job? Or is he happy just being the maths teacher?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

Definitely wants a head job

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:

I'm just gonna leave this here....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

grrofunger wrote:
But what about a coaching job? Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

:sly: :eek: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:43 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

teehee

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350  Next