Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

jim wrote:
3 years Melbourne go from 2 wins to 10 under their rebuild and played great finals footy on last night after 5 years. By contrast, we've managed to move in the opposite direction to crash to two wins. Difference? Paul Roos v Brendon Bolton.

Melbourne pushed finals after 4 years. After our first 2 years, 7 wins, 6 wins on top of many a closed loss, that should've been an expectancy here after 4 years. After winning 6 in year 2 and leading another 7 times in last qtrs pushing for finals next year, making it or not, 2 more years down the track. If it doesn't happen it's a failure of our coach.

Can't believe people think, 4 years in, that 6 wins next year is acceptable. We did that in 2017 FFS! We should've got that this year allowing for our injuries. That side last game was good enough for that. We won inside 50s and lost by 100pts. How the hell does that happen. That is an indictment on our coaching, the structures, game plan.

Good points. Good coaching structure is a must. I have just started reading Paul Roos’ biography on coaching today and his philosophies are impressive. Imperative to build relationships and a bond. How many coaches have coached a team to 2 victories out of 22 matches and then gone onto being a successful finals coach? Odds are against Bolton.

It is a shame Roos doesn’t want to coach anymore. Seems to have vital ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

North went from last in 1970 to premiers in 1975. If anyone can think of a more sudden rise from bottom to top I would be surprised.

North had some factors in their favour which are no longer available to teams now. They bought Davis, Crosswell, Rantall and about 3 other top notch A grade players with brown paper bags full of money. This option is no longer available to teams. Plus they got Barassi to coach.

The AFL doesn’t have any understanding of the hard road ahead for Carlton. Priority picks will have about a 1% effect at best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

Regardless of Bolton. Melbourne are succeeding now in spite of Roos; not because of him. Change my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

I believe god is a duck change my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:54 am 
Harry Vallence

dannyboy wrote:
midfielders/small forwards brought in
SPS
Fisher
Pickett
LeBois
Cunningham
Dow
Obrien
Garlett
Kennedy
Polson
Lang

now might not be enough
although there is a lot of quality there
and another 4 will help.

Potentially 4 genuine mids on that list...

And we traded a mid out...

Remember, over 40 list changes...

Currently, I see 2 or 3 players on that list with genuine quality

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 am 
Harry Vallence

dannyboy wrote:

Mmm, salty.. I can sense the butthurt :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:29 am 
Rod Ashman

smithy wrote:
Regardless of Bolton. Melbourne are succeeding now in spite of Roos; not because of him. Change my mind.

Read the book. Change your own mind.
Roos probably doesn’t have the fire for coaching anymore.. but his philosophies are impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:

Quack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 am 
John James

smithy wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Mmm, salty.. I can sense the butthurt :lol:

What are you 12 years old?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

tap in 79 wrote:
smithy wrote:

Read the book. Change your own mind.
Roos probably doesn’t have the fire for coaching anymore.. but his philosophies are impressive.

Don't see many teams playing his style of dour football anymore, only ones that do aren't doing too well; like us. why do you think that is?
Melbourne only came good when he left and changed up the game style to a more attacking one. His philosophy is outdated

Inb4 someone comes back with "But we are just a young team we can't play that way" cotton wool argument.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

smithy wrote:
Inb4 someone comes back with "But we are just a young team we can't play that way" cotton wool argument.

Combative much?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
3 years Melbourne go from 2 wins to 10 under their rebuild and played great finals footy on last night after 5 years. By contrast, we've managed to move in the opposite direction to crash to two wins. Difference? Paul Roos v Brendon Bolton.

Melbourne pushed finals after 4 years. After our first 2 years, 7 wins, 6 wins on top of many a closed loss, that should've been an expectancy here after 4 years. After winning 6 in year 2 and leading another 7 times in last qtrs pushing for finals next year, making it or not, 2 more years down the track. If it doesn't happen it's a failure of our coach.

Can't believe people think, 4 years in, that 6 wins next year is acceptable. We did that in 2017 FFS! We should've got that this year allowing for our injuries. That side last game was good enough for that. We won inside 50s and lost by 100pts. How the hell does that happen. That is an indictment on our coaching, the structures, game plan.

So.........the Demons won the inside 50 count today yet lost by 66pts and were goalless in the first half.......please explain?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

tap in 79 wrote:
North went from last in 1970 to premiers in 1975. If anyone can think of a more sudden rise from bottom to top I would be surprised.

Hawthorn finished 15th in 2004 (same points and only 1% higher than Richmond in 16th) and went on to win the premiership in 2008. Drafted 7 of their premiership players in the ‘04 and ‘05 drafts too. Those 2 drafts significantly and quickly changed the fortunes of that club.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 am 
John James

Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:

So.........the Demons won the inside 50 count today yet lost by 66pts and were goalless in the first half.......please explain?

Coz Bolts is crap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:23 am 
Geoff Southby

windy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:

Coz Bolts is crap

Hmmmm......how did you phrase it?...........What are you 12 years old?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:28 pm 
John James

Whoosh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:
windy wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Coz Bolts is crap

Hmmmm......how did you phrase it?...........What are you 12 years old?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Don't worry about these fools Sidefx, just laugh at them and wonder what drugs they are on :screwy:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Double whoosh....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:

It is interesting how the Tigers wanted to turn their regime upside down, but withstood the pressure to do so and won the flag.

There were questions raised in the media last year (let alone massive betting) on whether the Collingwood or West Coast Eagles Coach would be sacked first in 2017. Both survived and Buckley and Simpson ate the Grand Final coaches in 2018.

The manic style of footy played by Tigers, Dees and Pies initiated by Ratten, with a mosquito fleet in the forwardline of Betts Garlett Yarran and Walker, fed by Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Stevens, Carrazzo and Simpson, which worked, and since proven as a credible game plan, but despite injuries Ratten was sacked and replaced by Malthouse, because Carltonians, fed by media and rumour, lost patience at hovering between 6th and 10th. Malthouse changed the momentum and Carlton ended up on the bottom of the ladder and Malthouse was sacked mid contract.

I like the defensive style and mindset Bolton created over this first 2 years. I think he added an offensive layer too early this year because of media pressure (which some Carlton fans jumped onto as gospel). With Bolton's defensive model we could frustrate teams, with a style which stifled the opposition scoring (albeit unattractive) and as we mature and improve our speed, skill and additional layers to our game plan, we could win close games with surprise offensive and brutal attack ala Swans, when we wanted to.

Good things take time to evolve, and this has never been truer than this rebuild where we have turned over 40 players in 3 years to replace them with kids with talent. They need time to mature and develop. More speed, muscle and better ball movement as we mature, as is the case with all teams. Our list profile tells us we are too young to succeed at this stage.

I was in Melbourne over the weekend and a Doggies supporter I hadn't seen for a long time questioned Jack Silvagni's ability. I told him no one has a crystal ball to see what becomes of Jack, but from the age of 18-20, and that's all he is, 20yo, he's shown plenty of footy IQ for his age and has plenty of highlights to show off his potential. I told him it's no fair or smart to judge kids before they turn 22-23, when they mature.

We chose the patient rebuild path and we are midstream with that plan, and I expect improvement in 2019 and 2020 is still the year I expect finals, but have my fingers crossed for a flag this decade.

Patience and belief we are doing this in a measured way and properly.

We've waited 3 years to get to this point. Now we top up with more mature players, with class and skills to grow with the kids we have drafted/traded for oozing with class and skill.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 350  Next