Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:32 am 
Bob Chitty

Braithy wrote:
Crippa wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
They need small wins based on the things they can control. Effort, commitment to the contest, tackling etc. The rest is totally out of their control.

i agree.

and this season as a whole, has been an abysmal failure with effort, commitment and tackling when compared to the last two seasons. based on that measuring stick, bolton has taken a considerable step backwards from last year, yeah?

Kreuzer, Gibbs, ASOS, Jones, Docherty, Fisher, Plowman are all first class re effort, commitment to the contest and tackling. Some will say Murphy is also. Others probably wouldn't. So yes maybe we are down in these areas without these leaders but it ain't Bolts fault. In the current side people like both Curnows, Cripps, Rowe, Dow, Marchy, Simo, Kennedy and Silvani can't be faulted for effort and commitment and tackles. Say what you want about their skills but that's not what you are talking about above, so that's a group of 17 who can't be faulted for effort and commitment, yeah?

a sweeping generalisation for this season (minus a game or a quarter here & there) – all i see when we play is mass confusion from players, and games this year where the effort across the board from players is not up to an acceptable standard.

if in fact what you were saying was actually true, we wouldn't be sitting on 2 wins with a 60% record. I also have no answers for you if you can't see the distinct difference in effort from last season, to this one.

in fact, i raise the notion, our play has become so bad we could throw a tent over it all and call it a 3-ringed circus.

Correct. If you take a list that has 17 players who you can bet your house are guaranteed to give you the three things you mentioned (effort, commitment, tackling) and have 7-8 of those out of the side injured then of course you will see a distinct difference from last season. Duh!

What hasn't changed Braithy? That's right. The coach. No change from last season. So I can't fathom how you blame the coach and not the injuries in your original post that started this exchange between us.

By the way I always enjoy your posts regardless of if I agree with your point of view. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The Duke wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
I can't believe we didn't play man on man in the last with a spare player rotating through the middle.
Watching them play kick to kick with our mob standing five metres away in a zone was mind-boggling.
At one stage in our F50 we were one against four. That means we had four spare players somewhere.

95% of the game we played man on man. To the point we played a mostly 7 or 8 man forward line to pick up their spares. How did that work for us? We were massively outclassed. How we set up had very little to do with it.

The Duke wrote:
I feel super happy for people who are okay with where we're at right now, but at the same time I feel sorry for them. This isn't good - not by any measure.

How wonderful for you. Do you really think anyone here gives a @#$%&! about how you feel about them?

:garthp: You've lost your shit BV. Block me if you don't want to discuss issues civilly - but spare me this bullshit. :screwy:

You're not discussing the issues at all, Duke. It was a condescending remark from you saying you feel sorry for people who don't share your view!
I'm not happy with our current position but I understand there are mitigating circumstances. To suggest I'm worthy of pity for that, Isn't discussing the issues by any standards. It was a post belittling anyone who doesn't share your views.

There's a pile of pot/kettle in that statement. If I went back 50 pages I reckon I could find a post on every one from you saying we've got no clue about football & coaching etc.
I reject that. I'm happy for you to prove me wrong. Show me the posts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 pm 
formerly King Kenny

How many on our list? 44?

We have 29 to choose from this week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
dont need to be smart blue vain and moshe and yes i do understand
Don't know what this refers to....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That makes 2 of us.... :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Crippa wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Crippa wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
They need small wins based on the things they can control. Effort, commitment to the contest, tackling etc. The rest is totally out of their control.

i agree.

and this season as a whole, has been an abysmal failure with effort, commitment and tackling when compared to the last two seasons. based on that measuring stick, bolton has taken a considerable step backwards from last year, yeah?

Kreuzer, Gibbs, ASOS, Jones, Docherty, Fisher, Plowman are all first class re effort, commitment to the contest and tackling. Some will say Murphy is also. Others probably wouldn't. So yes maybe we are down in these areas without these leaders but it ain't Bolts fault. In the current side people like both Curnows, Cripps, Rowe, Dow, Marchy, Simo, Kennedy and Silvani can't be faulted for effort and commitment and tackles. Say what you want about their skills but that's not what you are talking about above, so that's a group of 17 who can't be faulted for effort and commitment, yeah?

a sweeping generalisation for this season (minus a game or a quarter here & there) – all i see when we play is mass confusion from players, and games this year where the effort across the board from players is not up to an acceptable standard.

if in fact what you were saying was actually true, we wouldn't be sitting on 2 wins with a 60% record. I also have no answers for you if you can't see the distinct difference in effort from last season, to this one.

in fact, i raise the notion, our play has become so bad we could throw a tent over it all and call it a 3-ringed circus.

Correct. If you take a list that has 17 players who you can bet your house are guaranteed to give you the three things you mentioned (effort, commitment, tackling) and have 7-8 of those out of the side injured then of course you will see a distinct difference from last season. Duh!

What hasn't changed Braithy? That's right. The coach. No change from last season. So I can't fathom how you blame the coach and not the injuries in your original post that started this exchange between us.

By the way I always enjoy your posts regardless of if I agree with your point of view. :thumbsup:

haha ... and me of yours & everyone's in here. healthy discussion when we're staying on topic and not tearing at each other is about the only thing which gets me through seasons like this (and the last 20 or so) ...

and for the record i hope i am horribly wrong about bolton being a contending coach with a full (& more developed) list at his disposal. Obviously i think there's more chance of me winning powerball than that. but sheesh, i'd love to be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:07 am 
Geoff Southby

The Normal One wrote:
How many on our list? 44?

We have 29 to choose from this week.

That's been pretty much every week this year to date. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Barker to GWS?
https://outline.com/qhbsu

Please God make this happen....

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Donstuie wrote:
Barker to GWS?
https://outline.com/qhbsu

Please God make this happen....

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rexy wrote:
Can someone tell me why, when one of our players has the ball in defence, there's no-one ahead presenting or even looking like they want the ball ?

Because we're still so poorly drilled, even after 3 years. We were so poorly drilled that the week before a side with 16-17 men killed us 7 goals to 1 in that last qtr and somehow outnumbered us everywhere. That, combined with the lack of effort in alot of games tell you the coach is not getting through to the players. 3 wins from the last 30 games tells a big story, injuries or not. We're better than that. If people are happy with that coaching they're very easily pleased and set low standards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
We were so poorly drilled that the week before a side with 16-17 men killed us 7 goals to 1 in that last qtr

It doesn't matter how many times you say it. It's the same uninformed bullshit that it was the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

16 - less than a minute
17 - approx 8 minutes

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:
16 - less than a minute
17 - approx 8 minutes

So is that 9 minutes out of a 20 minute quater (nearly 50%) or 9 minutes out of approx 30 minutes?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

no idea to be honest

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It doesn't matter. The reality is he has continually said they scored 7 goals to 1 with less players on the ground which is bullshit. And when he's pulled up on it, he continues to say it.
We've had a crap year. Surely theres enough for people to whinge about without fabricating stuff to be outraged about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
It doesn't matter. The reality is he has continually said they scored 7 goals to 1 with less players on the ground which is bullshit. And when he's pulled up on it, he continues to say it.
We've had a crap year. Surely theres enough for people to whinge about without fabricating stuff to be outraged about.
We had a numbers advantage for best part of a half a quarter and couldn't exploit it.
If the situation was reversed we would use this as an excuse for losing and it most likely would have been 10 plus goals to 1.
We lost Kruezer and Kennedy round 1 and 20 weeks later have not recovered and have been using injuries as an excuse all season and yet given an opportunity to gain an advantage we couldn't do it.
We are the poorest coached side in the comp sooner we realise that the better off we will be.
It's not just Bolton it is the entire coaching group

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
We had a numbers advantage for best part of a half a quarter and couldn't exploit it.

That part is true.
The rest of your post is supposition so I'm not debating it. It's your view. I disagree.

My post was debunking the lie that we were outscored 7 goals to 1 with 16 players.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm 
Robert Walls

My issue with the coaching is the lack of strategy off half back.

You can get done at stoppages simply because you don't have the talent there.
You can leak goals when the ball is coming in quickly with little pressure because of the above.

But when we have the ball we so often lack the ability to switch quickly to create space, or find a contest and place the ball to advantage, or have our half forwards make space/block/decoy for Curnow or McKay. I think that is something all the players should be well drilled in even if they are young or coming in from the seconds.

We cough it up on the wing at a contest we are outnumbered at and then the opposition switch into the corridor where they have a free man. Yes there may be a poorly executed kick that caused the turnover but how do we end up both outnumbered at the contest and they still have a free player in the corridor? Either the tactic is poor or players don't understand it. Fix one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 pm 
Robert Walls

One thing Bolton did understand was the value of Gibbs. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but I remember hearing he was against the first attempt to poach Gibbs because he knew what would happen to our midfield. Well, he was right.

I agree with the trade as a long term strategy but I guess did not see how bad the short term pain would be with Gibbs gone, then compounded further by losing Docherty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:46 pm 
John Nicholls

todd, do you think perhaps this might have something to do with our quickest and most skillful half backs (Docherty, Williamson and Byrne) being injured all year?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm 
Robert Walls

robertbb wrote:
todd, do you think perhaps this might have something to do with our quickest and most skillful half backs (Docherty, Williamson and Byrne) being injured all year?

It certainly does and that is why I cut some slack about kicking ability. But the point is both the players out there kicking it (Byrne, Ed Curnow, Lang, Thomas, Simpson, Murphy, gulp Kerridge) or the players up the field (Pickett, Wright, Curnow, McKay) don't appear to be well drilled enough to create space or coordinated enough to get to the right spots with numbers if we have to go to a contest. So we chip across with four 20m kicks from one half back to the other then kick it to a contest on the wing where we are outnumbered whilst they still have a player free in the middle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 350  Next