Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Donstuie wrote:
Braithy wrote:
I think if we start next season 1-6 like this one just gone, no matter who's injured, bolton will get the flick.

So by that logic we’ll have to beat at least one of:
- Richmond
- Port
- Sydney
- Bulldogs
- Hawks
- Norf

For Bolton to keep his job?

to me ... sydney start slow. are beatable.

dogs, hawks and norf are beatable. port have some big squad list moves. losing the chad will hurt.

and we always turn out for game one. we could be 3-3; 4-2 ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ya know....

it's safe to say... we're going to lose
more games than win next year...!

we're going to lose winnable games...
we're going to win loseable games...!

I'm thinking we probably just need to
hold on tight for a couple of season's
hey...!

i believe it was the great Yazz who
said...the only way is up...baby...!

just try and prove her wrong...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think we can win at least 2 of those first 6.
I think they’ll break it down into sets of 4 matches. Basically aim to win one each month. And then hope for another one or two here and there.

However, my aims for the year:
A) Show clear game plan and that we are at least working towards executing it consistently and then effectively. Consistent, effective defence, good ball movement, some sort of forward line structure/plan
B) Do not get smashed (80pts is what I call a smashing)
C) Beat the other bottom 4 teams (GC, Brisbane, StK) - ie win the games we SHOULD win
D) Win a couple of games against teams on the next rung up (not sure who these will be yet but should become apparent in the first couple of months...)
E) Pinch a game against a top 10 team
F) Lift in performance or consistency from top picks yet to nail it: Weitering, SPS, JSOS
G) Continued growth from: Dow, LOB, McKay, Kennedy
H) Make us glad we traded for you Setterfield, McGovern (I’m not so hopeful about Fasolo adding that much but happy to be pleasantly surprised...)
I) Nice to have: Fringe players knock the door down eg. Pickett, Garlett, Cunningham, Polson
J) We find the ruckman who can take over from Kruezer (not yet but we can see it... eg TDK??)

I don’t ask for much, I know.
Oh, and I’d love to see a few end to end runs featuring Weitering, our gun mids, Curnow and McKay/McGovern pulling down big marks in the goalsquare!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

Maybe it's time we focus on the way we wan't to play regardless of who we are playing. Preferably one that doesn't involve kicking 7 goals to the opponents 6.
Can't predict how teams are going to play from one week to the next especially in terms of intensity, Geelong seem to go thru a patch each year where they are awful.
Most teams from 4-14 similar. You simply cannot predict how well/or bad teams are going to play.
Develop a style and mindset of our own that stands up to any opposition, make them worry about us.
Get these kids dreaming about what they can do on the field themselves, not who they are playing against; or how highly an opposition team might be rated.
Win the mental battle, this game is played between the ears as much as any physical skill. Spend more time playing like you are 5 points down with 1 minute to play. That sort of intensity for longer and longer periods. Who dares wins... End harangue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think you are both treading a reasonable path.
This year we could win five to ten games if 2017 is any indication what we can do with a stable defence and a much better midfield than we had then and certainly a more promising forward line.

To me the problem is kicking goals and the avenue to the forwards that causes it. I used to get so wild watching teams wait for an opening and then pass twenty metres to a space or a leading forward and occasionally kicking long. Our F50 entries have been predictable since Kernahan played. Kick it long to (insert forward's name).
We cut Richmond to shreds for half a quarter plying daring footy. Then we had a couple of injuries, they recovered from the shock and the rest is history BUT we did show that by not just kicking it long all the time to Casboult, we chould score quickly.
Games are won these days by having players forward of the ball and moving the footy fast into your front half and keeping it there.

That's what BB needs to do. Something similar to Richmond, Melbourne, WCE, Collingwood but distinctly Carlton.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

smithy wrote:
Maybe it's time we focus on the way we wan't to play regardless of who we are playing. Preferably one that doesn't involve kicking 7 goals to the opponents 6.
Can't predict how teams are going to play from one week to the next especially in terms of intensity, Geelong seem to go thru a patch each year where they are awful.
Most teams from 4-14 similar. You simply cannot predict how well/or bad teams are going to play.
Develop a style and mindset of our own that stands up to any opposition, make them worry about us.
Get these kids dreaming about what they can do on the field themselves, not who they are playing against; or how highly an opposition team might be rated.
Win the mental battle, this game is played between the ears as much as any physical skill. Spend more time playing like you are 5 points down with 1 minute to play. That sort of intensity for longer and longer periods. Who dares wins... End harangue.

I like it!
Esp the mindset of ‘5pts down, 1 minute to play’
(With the possible exception being if we are 5pts up, 1 minute to play ;-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd01SS2xAYk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

That clip tugged the heart strings...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hornet wrote:
That clip tugged the heart strings...

It is the best.

My kids played it to their Sydney Swans mates, just to give them an idea of what it means to play for Carlton.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

There isn't a thread for this so I'll put it here with the coach's thoughts on the jumper and what it means.
To many of us, that jumper is a distant emblem in space and time but is close to our hearts. We don't get to see the games like we once used to. We can't hear the roar of the crowd and smell the stale beer in the pubs or smell the sweat at open training sessions.
For us the TV late at night or early in the morning watching the boys go round and it's not been an easy row to hoe for any of us of late, near or far.
For us, the intimacy of those who go to games, go to training, know the players, coaches or are mates with their family members is transmitted through the various threads here on TC.

Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. Sometimes the banter is friendly and sometimes it gets a bit terse but that's no different from a group of Carlton lovers watching a game in the bar or at the ground.

I'd like to thank all of you for sharing your love of the club with me over the past year. I wish you all a Merry Christmas or Season's Greetings if that sits better with you and I trust we will all enjoy some on an off field success in the coming year.

Kind regards

BS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:29 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Blue Sombrero wrote:
There isn't a thread for this so I'll put it here with the coach's thoughts on the jumper and what it means.
To many of us, that jumper is a distant emblem in space and time but is close to our hearts. We don't get to see the games like we once used to. We can't hear the roar of the crowd and smell the stale beer in the pubs or smell the sweat at open training sessions.
For us the TV late at night or early in the morning watching the boys go round and it's not been an easy row to hoe for any of us of late, near or far.
For us, the intimacy of those who go to games, go to training, know the players, coaches or are mates with their family members is transmitted through the various threads here on TC.

Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. Sometimes the banter is friendly and sometimes it gets a bit terse but that's no different from a group of Carlton lovers watching a game in the bar or at the ground.

I'd like to thank all of you for sharing your love of the club with me over the past year. I wish you all a Merry Christmas or Season's Greetings if that sits better with you and I trust we will all enjoy some on an off field success in the coming year.

Kind regards

BS
:thumbsup:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:49 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Cheers Blue Sombrero, Merry Christmas to you too mate. I always enjoy reading your well balanced posts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lovely
Thanks Sombrero
And wishing the same for all TC'ers.
:gift:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:18 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thanks Sombrero :thumbsup: wishing you and all TC family a Very Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:33 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Sombrero wrote:

Kind regards

BS

Yes thanks BS. Always good to read your thoughts. It's been a rough ten years or so but I am optimistic that we are about to make some significant improvements. Compliments of the season to you and yours and see you in 2019. Good chance this is our last year in China so maybe coming home will mark a new era.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:49 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Taff wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Kind regards

BS

Yes thanks BS. Always good to read your thoughts. It's been a rough ten years or so but I am optimistic that we are about to make some significant improvements. Compliments of the season to you and yours and see you in 2019. Good chance this is our last year in China so maybe coming home will mark a new era.

Beautifully said BS. I have been living in NY for over 17 years and the bridge to living my life over here has been facilitated greatly by TC and TBV before it. Love the passion of all of the posters. TC has enabled me to keep my love for our club as strong as ever even though there have been some dark days along the journey. Looking forward to sharing greater success with everyone in 2019 and beyond. Happiest of Holidays to all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Merry Xmas to all local, interstate and international TCers.

I'm loving Melbourne. All started at, what my kids call the centre of the universe, Princes Park and watching the 2019 list train. Meeting Carltonians everywhere since. It's all about Carlton.

Have enjoyed this forum's Carlton community immensely with viewpoints varying from both half full to half empty outlooks. Keeps everything balanced, albeit irritating at times, but our club has made everyone annoyed with them at times.

We're a diverse lot at TCland. Everyone I've met from TC looked nothing like I thought they would look, ditto their personality. Good thing is from that I realise I must be even more imperfect than I thought.

Love each other and don't hold grudges.

No doubt there's blue skies ahead. Why else would our Doc Sherrie buy a membership. There's something in the air.

Love youse all and I hope the footy gods bring you all heaps of highlights and finals next year.

Enjoy the festive season and don't let Mr Cloudy bring you down coz the only way is up for Bluebaggers. Wanna bet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Great read Sombie..................ditto Bondi..........................guys like you fellas leave me in the shade when it comes to expressing views................but I'm gonna keep contributing in my own ameteurish way..........reckon its all fingers not the same....................great stuff fellas,happy Christmas,great new year...................that applies to all the fantastic TC contributors.Whether you like there stuff or not,they are all great in there own unique way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

Merry Christmas everyone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 350  Next