Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:31 am 
Ken Hunter

Excellent post bondiblue. Agree wholeheartedly.

There’s far too much media these days. A lot of it is rubbish. All of it is reactionary and can’t see past last week or one week into the future. Many of these people enjoy seeing Carlton weak and it’s fans suffer. We have to ride out the storm.

I have a lot of faith in Bolts and Silvagni.

The club needs its supporters to be patient. I fear patience is running out.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:
3 years Melbourne go from 2 wins to 10 under their rebuild and played great finals footy on last night after 5 years. By contrast, we've managed to move in the opposite direction to crash to two wins. Difference? Paul Roos v Brendon Bolton.

Melbourne pushed finals after 4 years. After our first 2 years, 7 wins, 6 wins on top of many a closed loss, that should've been an expectancy here after 4 years. After winning 6 in year 2 and leading another 7 times in last qtrs pushing for finals next year, making it or not, 2 more years down the track. If it doesn't happen it's a failure of our coach.

Can't believe people think, 4 years in, that 6 wins next year is acceptable. We did that in 2017 FFS! We should've got that this year allowing for our injuries. That side last game was good enough for that. We won inside 50s and lost by 100pts. How the hell does that happen. That is an indictment on our coaching, the structures, game plan.

So.........the Demons won the inside 50 count today yet lost by 66pts and were goalless in the first half.......please explain?

It is interesting how the Tigers wanted to turn their regime upside down, but withstood the pressure to do so and won the flag.

Their were questions raised in the media last year (let alone massive betting) whether the Collingwood or West Coast Eagles Coach would be sacked first in 2017. Both survived and Buckley and Simpson ate the Grand Final coaches.

The manic style of footy played by Tigers, Dees and Pies initiated by Ratten, and despite injuries was replaced by Malthouse, because Carltonians lost patience vovering between 6th and 10th. Malthouse changed the momentum and Carlton ebded up on the bottom of the ladder and Malthouse was sacked mid contract.

I like the defensive style and mindset Bolton created over this first 2 years. I think he added an offensive layer this year because of media pressure (which some Carlton fans jumped onto as gospel). We could frustrate teams, and as we mature with speed, skill and additional layers to our game plan, we could win close games with surprise offense and brutal attack ala Swans.

Good things take time to evolve, and this has never been truer than this rebuild where we have turned over 40 players in 3 years to replace them with kids with talent. They need time to mature and develop. More speed, muscle and better ball movement as we mature, as is the case with all teams.

I was in Melbourne over the weekend and a Doggies supporter I hadn't seen for a long time questioned Jack Silvagni's ability. I told him no one has a crystal ball to see what becomes of Jack, but from the age of 18-20, and that's all he is, he's shown plenty of footy IQ and has plenty of highlights to show off his potential. I told him its no fair or smart to judge kids before they turn 22-23, unless forced to because of the ample talent coming into the team from the draft.

We chose the patient rebuild path and we are midstream, and I expect improvement in 2019 and 2020 is still the year I expect finals, but have my fingers crossed for a flag this decade.

:clap: :thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 am 
John Nicholls

Ratts was ahead of his time in game plan, and we would have won a flag with him at the helm if we'd not shat the bath.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:
3 years Melbourne go from 2 wins to 10 under their rebuild and played great finals footy on last night after 5 years. By contrast, we've managed to move in the opposite direction to crash to two wins. Difference? Paul Roos v Brendon Bolton.

Melbourne pushed finals after 4 years. After our first 2 years, 7 wins, 6 wins on top of many a closed loss, that should've been an expectancy here after 4 years. After winning 6 in year 2 and leading another 7 times in last qtrs pushing for finals next year, making it or not, 2 more years down the track. If it doesn't happen it's a failure of our coach.

Can't believe people think, 4 years in, that 6 wins next year is acceptable. We did that in 2017 FFS! We should've got that this year allowing for our injuries. That side last game was good enough for that. We won inside 50s and lost by 100pts. How the hell does that happen. That is an indictment on our coaching, the structures, game plan.

So.........the Demons won the inside 50 count today yet lost by 66pts and were goalless in the first half.......please explain?

It is interesting how the Tigers wanted to turn their regime upside down, but withstood the pressure to do so and won the flag.

There were questions raised in the media last year (let alone massive betting) on whether the Collingwood or West Coast Eagles Coach would be sacked first in 2017. Both survived and Buckley and Simpson ate the Grand Final coaches in 2018.

The manic style of footy played by Tigers, Dees and Pies initiated by Ratten, with a mosquito fleet in the forwardline of Betts Garlett Yarran and Walker, fed by Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Stevens, Carrazzo and Simpson, which worked, and since proven as a credible game plan, but despite injuries Ratten was sacked and replaced by Malthouse, because Carltonians, fed by media and rumour, lost patience at hovering between 6th and 10th. Malthouse changed the momentum and Carlton ended up on the bottom of the ladder and Malthouse was sacked mid contract.

I like the defensive style and mindset Bolton created over this first 2 years. I think he added an offensive layer too early this year because of media pressure (which some Carlton fans jumped onto as gospel). With Bolton's defensive model we could frustrate teams, with a style which stifled the opposition scoring (albeit unattractive) and as we mature and improve our speed, skill and additional layers to our game plan, we could win close games with surprise offensive and brutal attack ala Swans, when we wanted to.

Good things take time to evolve, and this has never been truer than this rebuild where we have turned over 40 players in 3 years to replace them with kids with talent. They need time to mature and develop. More speed, muscle and better ball movement as we mature, as is the case with all teams. Our list profile tells us we are too young to succeed at this stage.

I was in Melbourne over the weekend and a Doggies supporter I hadn't seen for a long time questioned Jack Silvagni's ability. I told him no one has a crystal ball to see what becomes of Jack, but from the age of 18-20, and that's all he is, 20yo, he's shown plenty of footy IQ for his age and has plenty of highlights to show off his potential. I told him it's no fair or smart to judge kids before they turn 22-23, when they mature.

We chose the patient rebuild path and we are midstream with that plan, and I expect improvement in 2019 and 2020 is still the year I expect finals, but have my fingers crossed for a flag this decade.

Patience and belief we are doing this in a measured way and properly.

We've waited 3 years to get to this point. Now we top up with more mature players, with class and skills to grow with the kids we have drafted/traded for oozing with class and skill.

:clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:

There were questions raised in the media last year (let alone massive betting) on whether the Collingwood or West Coast Eagles Coach would be sacked first in 2017. Both survived and Buckley and Simpson ate the Grand Final coaches in 2018.

The manic style of footy played by Tigers, Dees and Pies initiated by Ratten, with a mosquito fleet in the forwardline of Betts Garlett Yarran and Walker, fed by Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Stevens, Carrazzo and Simpson, which worked, and since proven as a credible game plan, but despite injuries Ratten was sacked and replaced by Malthouse, because Carltonians, fed by media and rumour, lost patience at hovering between 6th and 10th. Malthouse changed the momentum and Carlton ended up on the bottom of the ladder and Malthouse was sacked mid contract.

I like the defensive style and mindset Bolton created over this first 2 years. I think he added an offensive layer too early this year because of media pressure (which some Carlton fans jumped onto as gospel). With Bolton's defensive model we could frustrate teams, with a style which stifled the opposition scoring (albeit unattractive) and as we mature and improve our speed, skill and additional layers to our game plan, we could win close games with surprise offensive and brutal attack ala Swans, when we wanted to.

Good things take time to evolve, and this has never been truer than this rebuild where we have turned over 40 players in 3 years to replace them with kids with talent. They need time to mature and develop. More speed, muscle and better ball movement as we mature, as is the case with all teams. Our list profile tells us we are too young to succeed at this stage.

I was in Melbourne over the weekend and a Doggies supporter I hadn't seen for a long time questioned Jack Silvagni's ability. I told him no one has a crystal ball to see what becomes of Jack, but from the age of 18-20, and that's all he is, 20yo, he's shown plenty of footy IQ for his age and has plenty of highlights to show off his potential. I told him it's no fair or smart to judge kids before they turn 22-23, when they mature.

We chose the patient rebuild path and we are midstream with that plan, and I expect improvement in 2019 and 2020 is still the year I expect finals, but have my fingers crossed for a flag this decade.

We've waited 3 years to get to this point. Now we top up with more mature players, with class and skills to grow with the kids we have drafted/traded for oozing with class and skill.

I hate to be a pain, but this is not quite accurate...Just because they didn't sack the coach doesn't mean they didn't change the way they played the game and their mindset.
We know from what has leaked that Caracella initiated massive changes in a complete overhaul. Obviously Hardwick took a step back and had the courage to try other ideas.
So it wasn't the same old same old like you imply. You've added 2+2 and come up with 5.
The million dollar question is does Bolton have the courage to do likewise. To overcome his over complicated negative coaching and gameplan style.
The sooner he throws that game style in the bin the better for everyone. It has hindered our development not helped it; and the longer we make excuses for them (list profile) (injuries)the longer it will take to be a contender. We may be developing mentally weak players that always have an excuse to fall back on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
AIRCAV wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Like Blueboy and Don, I have to stick up for Bolts on the Mitchell decision. That guy is by far the most overrated player in the league, his possession stats are meaningless. I've watched games where the breathless Ch 7 commentators let us know that he is now on 30... 35... 40... 42... 46 POSSESSIONS WOWEE, and I'm scratching my head trying to remember any of them.

Might want to book mark this come Brownlow night

So the umpires are now the arbiter of how influential a player is?

Plenty of other, shock, successful coaches also haven’t tagged Mitchell.

It’s hardly the silver billet of proof that you’re looking for.

you have to go back as far as Woewodin as to when they didn't get it right
Maybe Swan got his when it should of went to Judd - but Judd got his when it should have went to Swan
the rest have deserved theirs
I am not saying Mitchell has won it but he should go very close

I am not saying that I told you so but I told you so

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Um.....congrats?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 pm 
Ken Hands

Robert walls to oversee the coach in a similar role to Neil Graig?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

dablues wrote:

Lets face it,its turned to shit since Craig has left.Not to mention Trigg.Dunno if Walls is the right man.Been out of the caper for a long time.But we need a senior experienced operator to direct things so if Walls is the man so be it......................its a yes from me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not sure. I like Wallsy but I think I'd prefer a non Carlton person in the role

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Personally, I think that Bolton has enough experience working under Clarkson, but I would like to see some better support around him in the other coaching positions. I know it's unlikely but Mitchell would help us no end and if it's not him then we need to look at other recently (last 5 years) retired (possibly premiership) footballers that want to coach. Other than that I would like the current coaching panel to go back to the defensive game style of 17 and say get !@#$%^ to the media and any other arm chair expert that thinks we need to play a certain way (bondiblue summed this up perfectly).
And please o' please, allocate a further million (on top of the current extra million) if we can, to our football department and purchase the best rehab and training equipment money can buy. At least this might help us from missing out on players like Smith who thought the *cheats had better facilities, which clearly worked for him this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Any team that resorts to a defensive game plan from next year when the AFL is about to change the rules so the game is more attacking and open is committing suicide.
The teams having tall marking players and runners will benefit. The defensive press inside fifty is dead after a behind for a start. The FB will be able to kick over it to the centre circle with ease.
The centre bounce will be open. Taggers will not be as effective because there will be so much extra space outside the drop zone of the rucks. We saw Grundy do something many of us have been talking about for a couple of years since the no third man came in. He actually hit the ball away from the contest into the open. Ruckit science. That will be easier and more common from next year.
I posted elsewhere that we may come out of this OK with players like Pickett, Garlett, Cunningham, SPS who are probably going to like the open spaces more than the crowded stuff we have now.
It behoves BB to develop a game pan that will serve the new rules and the list. Reverting to what we had in 2017 with everybody inside the defensive fifty and then everybody inside our F50 will see us cut to ribbons by sides who get the ball from a turnover. We need one or two tall players always inside our F50 with a link system through the middle or down one or the other wing from the defence. That will enable the small forwards to use the space if and when the ball comes to ground.

I once developed a game plan for a grand final waterpolo team that had not beaten their opponent all season. By quarter time we were 5-0 up and it took them the rest of the game to sort their defensive game out. We won by one goal. Think outside the box. At present it's too easy for teams to defend us. We need to radically change our ball movement from half back to 60 metres out so we have the option of a pass inside and not a long bomb. Harry or Charlie can mark as well as Cox. Collingwood changed their forward thrust to suit him in one week. We have six months.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:16 am 
Rod Ashman

dablues wrote:

I would love this to happen, he would be a great confidant and adviser for a young coach. He would also give the board an experienced perspective and assessment on our leadership and progress.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:34 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Any team that resorts to a defensive game plan from next year when the AFL is about to change the rules so the game is more attacking and open is committing suicide.
The teams having tall marking players and runners will benefit. The defensive press inside fifty is dead after a behind for a start. The FB will be able to kick over it to the centre circle with ease.
The centre bounce will be open. Taggers will not be as effective because there will be so much extra space outside the drop zone of the rucks. We saw Grundy do something many of us have been talking about for a couple of years since the no third man came in. He actually hit the ball away from the contest into the open. Ruckit science. That will be easier and more common from next year.
I posted elsewhere that we may come out of this OK with players like Pickett, Garlett, Cunningham, SPS who are probably going to like the open spaces more than the crowded stuff we have now.
It behoves BB to develop a game pan that will serve the new rules and the list. Reverting to what we had in 2017 with everybody inside the defensive fifty and then everybody inside our F50 will see us cut to ribbons by sides who get the ball from a turnover. We need one or two tall players always inside our F50 with a link system through the middle or down one or the other wing from the defence. That will enable the small forwards to use the space if and when the ball comes to ground.

I once developed a game plan for a grand final waterpolo team that had not beaten their opponent all season. By quarter time we were 5-0 up and it took them the rest of the game to sort their defensive game out. We won by one goal. Think outside the box. At present it's too easy for teams to defend us. We need to radically change our ball movement from half back to 60 metres out so we have the option of a pass inside and not a long bomb. Harry or Charlie can mark as well as Cox. Collingwood changed their forward thrust to suit him in one week. We have six months.

You're right bs we have the players to play attractive footy and to inflict scoreboard pressure (even without the new rules). Coach's of today are very stringent and uncompromising when it comes to match day flexibility because they haven't coached individually just as a whole and haven't got the confidence in their players to play their own game.
Everybody needs a role and everybody has a positional marker to defend. Once we let our boys play to their strengths and to their natural ability we will be a competitive unit and it all starts with the coach.
All you hear is we know how this team plays and this team hasn't got an identity the players look confused. The players are a byproduct of the coach. We look confused, we are a young team so just set them up and let them play to what comes natural. It's up to the coach to tweak each individuals skill set to benefit his position and the team. We have the talent all he needs to do is bring out the mongrel and willing to win.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

smithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
jim wrote:

I hate to be a pain, but this is not quite accurate...Just because they didn't sack the coach doesn't mean they didn't change the way they played the game and their mindset.
We know from what has leaked that Caracella initiated massive changes in a complete overhaul. Obviously Hardwick took a step back and had the courage to try other ideas.
So it wasn't the same old same old like you imply. You've added 2+2 and come up with 5.
The million dollar question is does Bolton have the courage to do likewise. To overcome his over complicated negative coaching and gameplan style.
The sooner he throws that game style in the bin the better for everyone. It has hindered our development not helped it; and the longer we make excuses for them (list profile) (injuries)the longer it will take to be a contender. We may be developing mentally weak players that always have an excuse to fall back on.

That's a terribly naive conclusion you've made smithy. I don't know how you came to that conclusion with your explanation.

I think we are on the same page. Change doesn't have to be to the regime, it can be other things.

I don't know if anyone knows if our problem in 2018 was the game plan, or the lack of intelligence/ skill of our players to execute the game plan. No one knows that. What's the game plan? I am saying that I like the defensive layer Bolton has been instilling in our kids, and you have to remember, as the AFL just recently concluded with the whole PP thingy, we have an extremely young list and for that reason, undeveloped. Then there's the issue of injures and the disruption they have caused for the one magial ingredient every team needs and that's continuity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:

Jumpng at shadows BS.

What new rules?

If your alluding to 6/6/6 and the 18 yard line, they only apply after a goal or a behind.

If the umps start paying free kicks for dropping the ball and rewarding tacklers the game changes right away.

You have to start from defence.

The 18 yard line just means the teams set up 18 yards out. You are believing some of the opinions, but there's no definete outcome from this, other than malcolm "I know everything" Blight. He's failed to address the first task and that is to see if we have rules in place to curb the problems with the game, and if we do, if the umpires are applying the rules or not, as this may be the problem. On this I agree with Clarkson.

Watch this AFL regime further @#$%&! up the game, as they meddle with the rules. They are not master coaches. They want to leave their mark on the game. Wrong reason for them being there, but they are.

Wait till the rules are released and see the impact they have before suggesting defensive footy is dead.

I think the general supporter seems to have lost site that our players, albeit kids, are great runners and will get better: all of them.
Have a look at the stats we do well in without being cynical. The are being hardened to endure mentally and physically. This has been BB's mantra since day dot. I like it as a foundation for any game plan, especially if its going to be a real running game in the future (and especially so if and when interchanges are further reduced as has been argued for a long time now).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

redback wrote:
dablues wrote:

I would love this to happen, he would be a great confidant and adviser for a young coach. He would also give the board an experienced perspective and assessment on our leadership and progress.

Would've preferred Leigh Matthews to honest, but anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:07 am 
Garry Crane

Bolton had a terrible TERRIBLE coaching year.

Unlike 2016 and 2017, our players this year were totally confused. That is on the coach.

The departure of Neil Craig was massive I feel.

We need a Neil Balme type to steady the ship, is that Wallsy? Dunno, but we need an experienced hand that can hold Bolton to account.

I still believe Bolts will come out of this slump better for it, just as Thompson, Hardick and Buckley all did.

I like this idea even if Bolts hates it, tough titties.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 am 
Garry Crane

Stone Free wrote:
Would've preferred Leigh Matthews to honest, but anyway.

Leigh would be perfect, but he lives in Brisbane and works with the Lions.

Rocket Eade, Gary Ayres would be a couple others.

I wish Neil Craig had stayed.

Bolts lost his way completely this year, but he can get it back if he learns from his mistakes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am 
Ken Hunter

Wallsy will be awesome as n overseer. Love it.

Just hope he provides opinions and let others make the decisions. Wont be happy if he pulls the strings.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 350  Next