Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 350  Next
 Post subject: Coach Brendon Bolton
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Effes wrote:
https://twitter.com/NABFW/status/864338948042010629

So we will beat Freo, Hawks and Roos based on us beating the other teams below average at everything.

Post subject: Re: Coach Brendon Bolton
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think that Bolton is doing a pretty good job, but as head coach he has to take responsibility for Shane Watson and the lack of cohesion and development of our forward line.

It seems that any player that can't make it as a forward is developed into a defender and look OK. Our running patterns, teamwork and leadup are all terrible and generally the forwards is the one area that we are making little to no progress. The only forward coach that has made a measurable improvement is Sav in Levi's kicking, perhaps he should spend some time with SOJ.

My concern is that we have Harry, Jaksch, Kerr, SOJ, Curnow and Pickett who are our young forward group and there is no discernable improvement in their performance other than organic growth.

Bolts, time to start looking for a decent forwards coach, preferably one that has played or coached a successful forward line

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Steve_C7 wrote:
I think that Bolton is doing a pretty good job, but as head coach he has to take responsibility for Shane Watson and the lack of cohesion and development of our forward line.

It seems that any player that can't make it as a forward is developed into a defender and look OK. Our running patterns, teamwork and leadup are all terrible and generally the forwards is the one area that we are making little to no progress. The only forward coach that has made a measurable improvement is Sav in Levi's kicking, perhaps he should spend some time with SOJ.

My concern is that we have Harry, Jaksch, Kerr, SOJ, Curnow and Pickett who are our young forward group and there is no discernable improvement in their performance other than organic growth.

Bolts, time to start looking for a decent forwards coach, preferably one that has played or coached a successful forward line

I have no knowledge of Bolts' coaching style but I get the feeling a line coaches success is likely to be heavily reliant on the head coaches methods.

Can you imagine being one of MM's line coaches?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:34 pm 
John Nicholls

Steve_C7 wrote:

Inclined to agree - our forward line is pretty ineffective at the moment. Having players kick straight would be a good start.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Taff wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Inclined to agree - our forward line is pretty ineffective at the moment. Having players kick straight would be a good start.

Our delivery in yesterday was terrible but it was a terrible day.

Post subject: Coach Brendon Bolton
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

Jez1966 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
I can understand Boltons approach of playing kids and exposing them to hostile crowd on the big stage. How they come out of it will determine how they will be in the future.
Club has laid everything on the line here and are trusting Bolton to develop a team for long term.
If he gets it wrong it will be years in the wilderness.
My biggest concern is that it appears that the 3rd and 4th year players like KJ Cunningham even Graham and Buckley don't appear to be improving to the point where they are demanding to be selected.
So I question why are these guys not progressing why is their development stalled. Who is to say that development of the 1st and 2nd year players might hit the wall also.
I know its good to expose the youth but who is to say that Cunningham and KJ or Graham could not have benefitted more that the 1st year players by playing Friday night.
It will be and interesting season but I don't like to think that the coaching staff have already stamped some players cards.
Bolton could use the youth excuse for years .
Rucci tried asking this question in the after match and was quickly shut down by Bolton

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cunningham is a second year player

Clearly doubling everything

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Steve_C7 wrote:

You can't rebuild a team in 12 months. The decision is a correct one to construct a strong defence first. Our defensive structure long term is the best in the AFL IMHO.
Next we can bolster our midfield and forward line.

LeBois has been injured, Harry has missed the best part of a season, Pickett hasn't shown an ability to play consistent AFL football and Gallucci has missed the best part of a years footy. It will take time.
As far as I'm concerned, Bolton is performing as well as any coach in the AFL. His structures are brilliant and the other coaches haven't been able to break them down yet. Give him time.
If we give him a decent balanced list, he'll be the best in the game IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

You can't rebuild a team in 12 months. The decision is a correct one to construct a strong defence first. Our defensive structure long term is the best in the AFL IMHO.

LeBois has been injured, Harry has missed the best part of a season, Pickett hasn't shown an ability to play consistent AFL football and Gallucci has missed the best part of a years footy. It will take time.
As far as I'm concerned, Bolton is performing as well as any coach in the AFL. His structures are brilliant and the other coaches haven't been able to break them down yet. Give him time.

Hell BV, Pickett has missed two years of footy due to injury, has had no chance to prove himself at the highest level. He's a future gun if he can stay injury free and get some base fitness, very exciting prospect.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It wasn't a criticism of Pickett. :thumbsup:
I was alluding to his lack of match practice and fitness, I just didn't expand the point. If he gets continuity in his footy, he has the talent to become a very good player.
He was very exciting pre-season but in saying that, I do have some nagging queries on his work rate and desire. The appointment of Andrew Walker gives him every opportunity though, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

I'm fine with taking time to develop, my concern is that I can't see a structure being developed where the forwards make space to isolate the defenders and that the mids know where to kick to.

We have recruited just as many forwards as defenders and yet our backs know how to setup and handover to their team mates. I suspect that the lack of a mature genuine forward is really hampering the development of our forwards whereas having a simmo and doc down back gives the on field coaching to fast track the development of the kids.

Not sure what the answer is, but I don't want to be banking on drafting elite forwards that can coach themselves as that is never going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 am 
Harry Vallence

Deleted 'wtf was I thinking?' post.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/SportsdayRadio/stat ... 2427234304

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:

https://twitter.com/SportsdayRadio/stat ... 2427234304

Careful, soon Dwayne Russell will be giving us a complement.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:17 am 
Bruce Doull

I don't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am 
Geoff Southby

Coach of the year is a stretch, but he's doing a really good job with what he has.

Would be nice to see some more wins though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/869813925444952064

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
It wasn't a criticism of Pickett. :thumbsup:
I was alluding to his lack of match practice and fitness, I just didn't expand the point. If he gets continuity in his footy, he has the talent to become a very good player.
He was very exciting pre-season but in saying that, I do have some nagging queries on his work rate and desire. The appointment of Andrew Walker gives him every opportunity though, IMO.

The same issues GWS had with Pickett... it's why they let him go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Should Pickett come on and play close to his potenal and ability the trade will be a huge win for CFC, he's an exepctional talent, hopefully he's issues can resolved.
Go Baggers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Anyone still have doubts about our choice of coach?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Anyone still have doubts about our choice of coach?

Ok well that has to be master stroke coaching today. Cameron patton and green had next to no impact despite the horrific umpiring. The boys should have won by 4 or 5 gosls in thr end!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 350  Next