Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Duke wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
As I have said previously, you get nothing if you sakc in the season, if you must wait the season out.

I don't agree. If you decide he's not your man, you move him on and bring in a caretaker.

How's that worked for us in the past?

I'm old enough to remember when it worked a treat.

We're not playing for a high pick this year, we're playing for the lowest we can get. We want to be above the Crows. If that's possible by removing the current coaches and getting some wins on the board, then do it. We also want to get wins into the kids. If Bolton can't provide that, then having him coach out the year will have a negative impact on the group.

You are correct, pre-modern football, pre-18 team comp and probably pre-salary cap, it just won't work now.
Plus I don't know why everyone is holding on so dearly to the possibility of trading pick 1 for say 9 when we are going to and need to, trade it for an already mature experienced A-grade midfielder. The time for drafting top 10 picks is over for a few years for us, we already have enough. We need stability, cohesion, mature bodies and most of all experience which we will no longer get early in the draft (Sam Walsh is the exception at the moment).

As a true Carlton supporter and as a message to many others on here, you need to stop looking for any reason to sack the coach and stop helping to propel the misguided sensationalist media and get behind the club and look for the signs of improvement other than win loss and make a judgement at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't mind his work this year. Before the weekend I would've said he needs to pay more attention to shutting the opposition down but it looked like he rectified that.

The midfield is doing a much better job this year in terms of clearances, contested ball, inside 50s and the defence is doing a brilliant job both as a unit and some great individual performances. The opposition scores are way down on last year.

The forward line isn't functioning that well, it does need some quality added to it but the coach needs to find a way to make it less crowded too. Collingwood beat the Bulldogs last weekend almost entirely due to having an open forward line compared to the dogs crowded forward line.

Based on what I've seen the wins will come, but not as soon as we'd all like. We're being brought undone by players making young team mistakes and a poorly functioning forward line but we've also been in winning positions in our last three games. Three out of four games where we were a genuine chance to win is a big step up from last year.

If you can hang in for two more years of physical development which most of the core still need and some ironing out of a few kinks we'll be blowing teams like we've played over the last three weeks out of the water.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
As I have said previously, you get nothing if you sakc in the season, if you must wait the season out.

I don't agree. If you decide he's not your man, you move him on and bring in a caretaker.

We're not playing for a high pick this year, we're playing for the lowest we can get. We want to be above the Crows. If that's possible by removing the current coaches and getting some wins on the board, then do it. We also want to get wins into the kids. If Bolton can't provide that, then having him coach out the year will have a negative impact on the group.

You are correct, pre-modern football, pre-18 team comp and probably pre-salary cap, it just won't work now.
Plus I don't know why everyone is holding on so dearly to the possibility of trading pick 1 for say 9 when we are going to and need to, trade it for an already mature experienced A-grade midfielder. The time for drafting top 10 picks is over for a few years for us, we already have enough. We need stability, cohesion, mature bodies and most of all experience which we will no longer get early in the draft (Sam Walsh is the exception at the moment).

As a true Carlton supporter and as a message to many others on here, you need to stop looking for any reason to sack the coach and stop helping to propel the misguided sensationalist media and get behind the club and look for the signs of improvement other than win loss and make a judgement at the end of the year.

Ahh finally, advice from a 'true' Carlton supporter. Thank God you're here!! We can all relax now :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:59 pm 
Bert Deacon

Dominator_7 wrote:
Bolton could just be our Brendan McCartney.
We need a Luke Bevo.
Have been thinking precisely that for some time. I hope not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone else benefits from all the hard preparatory yards he's been doing during the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Duke wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
The Duke wrote:

Ahh finally, advice from a 'true' Carlton supporter. Thank God you're here!! We can all relax now :lol: .

Thanks, that's the aim. There are too many uptight people on here at the moment having a misdirected sook and looking for anything to validate their hurt feelings and misjudgements. But the best ones are posting to say they are abandoning the club. Let's hope they pack their toys up before they leave. :lol:

I'm with Judd, the core is young but talented and things will change and I'm happy to give it some time.

Go the Blues!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sin City wrote:
I don't mind his work this year. Before the weekend I would've said he needs to pay more attention to shutting the opposition down but it looked like he rectified that.

The midfield is doing a much better job this year in terms of clearances, contested ball, inside 50s and the defence is doing a brilliant job both as a unit and some great individual performances. The opposition scores are way down on last year.

The forward line isn't functioning that well, it does need some quality added to it but the coach needs to find a way to make it less crowded too. Collingwood beat the Bulldogs last weekend almost entirely due to having an open forward line compared to the dogs crowded forward line.

Based on what I've seen the wins will come, but not as soon as we'd all like. We're being brought undone by players making young team mistakes and a poorly functioning forward line but we've also been in winning positions in our last three games. Three out of four games where we were a genuine chance to win is a big step up from last year.

If you can hang in for two more years of physical development which most of the core still need and some ironing out of a few kinks we'll be blowing teams like we've played over the last three weeks out of the water.

it's funny you mention this. I remember at the end of the 2017 season everyone was having a whinge about our lack of attack and the club changed to a more attacking game style. But then we had all of those injuries and Gibbs leaving which totally ruined our experience in the team and all the wingers came out saying we needed to become defensive like 2017 because of the floggings. Now we are playing a more defensive game style again which is keeping us in the games but a lot of people are now complaining about not scoring over 100pts, yet there is a lot of teams this year that haven't either (only 2 last round). We do have an impressive forward line so if they can lead properly and get the right delivery we should be starting to win some. If you're confused by the above than I am too.

Development takes time but I guess people want changes and results now, even it's at the detriment of the club with coaching changes.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sin City wrote:

We into the 4th year and won 3 from 35. Think by now we know what we are going to get out of the coach. We swapped first round picks with Adelaide as we expected to go up the ladder. They said that. Lucky Adelaide are going shit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Last time I looked, draft positions were determined on where you finished at the end of the season. Not after Round 4.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Sin City wrote:

it's funny you mention this. I remember at the end of the 2017 season everyone was having a whinge about our lack of attack and the club changed to a more attacking game style. But then we had all of those injuries and Gibbs leaving which totally ruined our experience in the team and all the wingers came out saying we needed to become defensive like 2017 because of the floggings. Now we are playing a more defensive game style again which is keeping us in the games but a lot of people are now complaining about not scoring over 100pts, yet there is a lot of teams this year that haven't either (only 2 last round). We do have an impressive forward line so if they can lead properly and get the right delivery we should be starting to win some. If you're confused by the above than I am too.

Development takes time but I guess people want changes and results now, even it's at the detriment of the club with coaching changes.

It's all about development not about wins or losses but yet the loss on the weekend has ripped the heart out of the club and everyone is guttered.
Reality came home to roost and the club is in crisis mode. They have known it for a while and were hoping to smooth over the cracks and hope wins would come.
Gold Coast were abysmal on Sunday it was one of the worst performances by the club this year they were just plain terrible and we lost to them.

Bolton and the current coaching staff will never turn this around. They might snag a freakish win over a team that has had a bout of gastro during the week but that will be it.

Best to cut and run before we waste the talent we have available.

Those of you who are still putting your faith in this rebuild go watch the game again but watch Gold coast not Carlton you will see how bad they were

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm 
John James

Please don't tell me I'm going to read 3 from 35, 3 from 36 and so on all year. It's getting tiresome after the first 100 times I've read it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Has anyone mentioned “3 from 35” or “no scores over 100 in...” in the last 30 minutes?

Just checking

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

We’ve got to that point I fear where many on this board have so much riding on the “Bolts has to go” that they now want us to fail, and even if he does succeed, they will never be satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jim wrote:
Sin City wrote:

We into the 4th year and won 3 from 35. Think by now we know what we are going to get out of the coach. We swapped first round picks with Adelaide as we expected to go up the ladder. They said that. Lucky Adelaide are going shit.

This.

It's hilarious so many posters find a way to excuse the win loss record.

The club wouldn't have traded out the early pick if they thought they'd struggle to win games.

Maybe they were going to trade the Adel pick but it's hard to see anyone wanting to come to us now.

We've stopped the opposition scoring but can't score ourselves. That's not exactly a win IMO. Rather more of the same.

And yet despite all this I'm happy to back the players and coach. But my point is I think the club will move on the coach if wins don't come.

Heaven help us if the wins don't come and the players lose faith. That's when the beltings will come. If that happens it'll get ugly.

Last edited by Paddycripps on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Has anyone mentioned “3 from 35” or “no scores over 100 in...” in the last 30 minutes?

Just checking

That's still better than when GWS thrashed us by a 100 points with only 12 players on the field.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Judd said himself the record is unacceptable. Because it is clearly unacceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

I’ve calmed down enough in the last 48 hours and I think what has got me now is the gravity of the task we are undertaking as a club.

We wanted a total rebuild and that’s what we are getting. It’s being done at a time where it’s harder than any other time since the draft began, as there is more clubs, no priority picks, free agency and multiple trading of first round picks mean that basically no established star is going to a bottom side.

It’s hard and it sucks, and I don’t know when it will end. Rebuilds take as long as they take, but with the games played of our young players and only 2 walk up starts in the prime of their careers (Cripps and Jones) we are probably 12 months behind where I initially wanted us to be and hoped we were.

Bolts may not be the man in the long run, but I really can’t see the point of changing tack unless he loses the players. So far that hasn’t happened.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
jim wrote:
Sin City wrote:

This.

It's hilarious so many posters find a way to excuse the win loss record.

The club wouldn't have traded out the early pick if they thought they'd struggle to win games.

Maybe they were going to trade the Adel pick but it's hard to see anyone wanting to come to us now.

We've stopped the opposition scoring but can't score ourselves. That's not exactly a win IMO. Rather more of the same.

And yet despite all this I'm happy to back the players and coach. But my point is I think the club will move on the coach if wins don't come.

Heaven help us if the wins don't come and the players lose faith. That's when the beltings will come. If that happens it'll get ugly.

Maybe SOS just thought Adelaide would be rubbish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Sin City wrote:

It's all about development not about wins or losses but yet the loss on the weekend has ripped the heart out of the club and everyone is guttered.
Reality came home to roost and the club is in crisis mode. They have known it for a while and were hoping to smooth over the cracks and hope wins would come.
Gold Coast were abysmal on Sunday it was one of the worst performances by the club this year they were just plain terrible and we lost to them.

Bolton and the current coaching staff will never turn this around. They might snag a freakish win over a team that has had a bout of gastro during the week but that will be it.

Best to cut and run before we waste the talent we have available.

Those of you who are still putting your faith in this rebuild go watch the game again but watch Gold coast not Carlton you will see how bad they were

I can see where you are coming from but I don't necessarily agree with you. As we seen on the weekend with the Pies and the Dogs, it's pretty easy for teams to make each other look bad. We just let this one slip at the eleventh hour. The response from the playing group this week will really show how affected they are by the loss as well as their faith in the coaches, this will speak the truth on the clubs unity more than anything. Hopefully this is the game that turns us around as a club, win or lose.

But as supporters we have a duty of loyalty to back the club in, especially with what we have been through and the 'real' stage we are at in our rebuild. And not to be the cause or the reason the media gets to rip shreds off us, deserved or not. Otherwise instead of us having a good development year we will have to start this process again next year with someone new, a new game plan for the players to learn (the ones that stay) and not to mention not being able to attract top talent due to the instability we've created, again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AIRCAV wrote:
We’ve got to that point I fear where many on this board have so much riding on the “Bolts has to go” that they now want us to fail, and even if he does succeed, they will never be satisfied.
Every one who gets on this board wants the Blues to win. I sit there every week ride every bump cheer on every goal and cringe at every mistake.
We all want Bolton to be successful and Carlton to win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

AIRCAV wrote:

100% no here. I want us to win and succeed.

The Gold Coast loss is one that I am glad has put some heat on.

From here on we can see if it galvanized the group or if we drop our bundle.

If we start becoming a 2018 version of the side we will know the players aren’t playing for Bolts.

I find that unlikely though, too many individuals are shaping for close to career best seasons (Jones, Weitering, Cripps, Walsh, McKay) for us to fall to complete crap, 3 of those would be in AA calculations.

Side needs to learn how to win, and continue to play together.

Keep majority of our side fit (injuries we have had have been annoying but not as bad as last year by any means) there should be a game soon where it will click

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278 ... 350  Next