Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

robertbb wrote:
jim wrote:
Didn't hurt when we swapped Pagan for Ratten.

But it did hurt when we swapped Ratten for Malthouse. Arguably, it hurts to this day!

If Bolts goes, the question is simply: Who is available that would do a better job?

David Teague did a sensational job with the Northern Bullants early in the decade taking an average side to consecutive Grand Finals. Also the one reason McGovern came to Carlton was Teague after working with him at Adelaide. I'd have him straight in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rexy wrote:
jim wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
Nobody associated with the club is satisfied with yesterday’s loss. Equally, nobody is satisfied with only achieving marginal gains over last year. However, to ignore the progress that has been made is to be wilfully blind or totally ignorant. There are plenty of both of these types in the media, kicking the Blues fills plenty of dead airtime.

Like all professional organisations the club constantly reviews performance. Make no mistake, all aspects of the club are held to account. All decisions are questioned and all performances, good and bad, are reviewed to see what can be done better.

Our club’s leaders are successful people. They don’t suffer defeat happily nor without reaction, nor response. Just because it doesn’t play out in the media doesn’t mean things aren’t happening. At this stage Bolton stays. To do otherwise would be reckless. Our club is not reckless.

As required, successful leaders change tack, invest more and as appropriate provide more support. Our leaders are the right people to guide the Blues to success. They are hard and ruthless when needed.

A decision may at some stage be made that a change of coach is required. However, it is equally likely that a decision will be made that stronger, better and more tactical support staff are required. The club is building for sustained success, not to be a long term mid table team.

I understand that a win would be great, however, would anyone have been truly satisfied with a 1 goal win yesterday? At best it may have kept the media at bay for a while but in reality those at the club would still be questioning / reviewing and analysing where the team and its development is at.

Cheers

OR

Changing the support staff with a shit head coach is like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. 3 wins from 35, 0-4. I'd be changing as soon as possible as to continue doing the same thing is worse. Didn't hurt when we swapped Pagan for Ratten. To keep turning out shit just hurts the culture.

We need to select coaches alot better. We've selected one good one since Parko. Since then it's gone rookie coach who had never played AFL, old dinosaur who was past it, rookie coach who had played and well, old dinosaur who was past it, rookie coach who hasn't played. Look at that and one coach did well. Not hard to guess, then we sacked him for an old dinosaur. Something we have been terrible at.

Changing assistant staff worked for Hardwick, Buckley and now for Richardson.

I think Bolton should stay but someone like Barker has had a long time with not much success.

It doesn't work if you head coach isn't good. Hardwick could coach. If he couldn't changing assistant staff would do nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Hardwick was also given more than 3 seasons to prove himself. You need a bit of a patience Jimmy. I’m sure bolts will improve and learn along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

Ockham's Razor wrote:
Nobody associated with the club is satisfied with yesterday’s loss. Equally, nobody is satisfied with only achieving marginal gains over last year. However, to ignore the progress that has been made is to be wilfully blind or totally ignorant. There are plenty of both of these types in the media, kicking the Blues fills plenty of dead airtime.

Like all professional organisations the club constantly reviews performance. Make no mistake, all aspects of the club are held to account. All decisions are questioned and all performances, good and bad, are reviewed to see what can be done better.

Our club’s leaders are successful people. They don’t suffer defeat happily nor without reaction, nor response. Just because it doesn’t play out in the media doesn’t mean things aren’t happening. At this stage Bolton stays. To do otherwise would be reckless. Our club is not reckless.

As required, successful leaders change tack, invest more and as appropriate provide more support. Our leaders are the right people to guide the Blues to success. They are hard and ruthless when needed.

A decision may at some stage be made that a change of coach is required. However, it is equally likely that a decision will be made that stronger, better and more tactical support staff are required. The club is building for sustained success, not to be a long term mid table team.

I understand that a win would be great, however, would anyone have been truly satisfied with a 1 goal win yesterday? At best it may have kept the media at bay for a while but in reality those at the club would still be questioning / reviewing and analysing where the team and its development is at.

Cheers

OR

Your way off it
Our recruiting and list management has been terrible
The President is a mate of SOS and he becomes the head of recruiting
I questioned the recruiting last year
We may pinch a few games this year if it’s wet and the opposition have a bad day
But sustained success you say
McGovern has 10 great minutes and was unsighted for the rest
Setter field is vanilla at best
We trade 5 potentially good young players for these 2
In the so called super draft
Fasolo ?
Plus we hand the Crows the first pick in the draft
I told you all this last year
The board goes or we r going nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nick wrote:
Lets not forget that Brisbane last year had an eerily similar loss to the Gold Coast in round 5, on their way to a 0-8 start.

Now they're everyone's darlings.

It can change quickly as hard as it is to swallow right now.

Clutching at straws? So be it, got nothing else left :lol:

Yep, good point re: Brisbane. People are talking them up massively this year and they were 0-8 last year with an average losing margin of 26 points. Things can change quickly, we just need to hang in there and continue to improve and develop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:

Cheers

OR

Your way off it
Our recruiting and list management has been terrible - Way too early to tell.
The President is a mate of SOS and he becomes the head of recruiting - He was good enough to be head of recruiting at GWS, so its not as if he doesn't have experience.
I questioned the recruiting last year - Well done to you
We may pinch a few games this year if it’s wet and the opposition have a bad day - We nearly 'pinched' a win yesterday, it wasn't wet and i don't think gold coast had a bad day and we didn't necessarily have a great day ourselves.
McGovern has 10 great minutes and was unsighted for the rest - he kicked 3 goals and was probably our best forward.
Setter field is vanilla at best - He's 4 games back from an ACL, and 6 games into his career a little harsh and again too early to tell.
We trade 5 potentially good young players for these 2 - 5 guys we don't no the names of are potentially good, yet Setterfield and Gov, who have had promising starts to their careers at Carlton are not worthy?
Fasolo ? - Agree, he doesn't look like a great pick up, but a side from a list spot we didn't give up anything for him.
Plus we hand the Crows the first pick in the draft. - We've got the crows first round pick who have won one more game than us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

keogh wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:

Cheers

OR

Your way off it
Our recruiting and list management has been terrible
The President is a mate of SOS and he becomes the head of recruiting
I questioned the recruiting last year
We may pinch a few games this year if it’s wet and the opposition have a bad day
McGovern has 10 great minutes and was unsighted for the rest
Setter field is vanilla at best
We trade 5 potentially good young players for these 2
Fasolo ?
Plus we hand the Crows the first pick in the draft

You're being disingenuous. We got a second first rounder back in the "super draft". Our off season moves since SOS has been at the helm are fine. Look who we have traded/recruited out vs who we have traded/ recruited in and I know where I'd rather be.
Uncle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

FWIW, no team in the competition is currently averaging 100 points per game for the season (BRIS with 95.3 is currently the highest) First time since 1968 R20 that no team in the comp has averaged 100 points per game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

Effes wrote:
FWIW, no team in the competition is currently averaging 100 points per game for the season (BRIS with 95.3 is currently the highest) First time since 1968 R20 that no team in the comp has averaged 100 points per game

so we can say we're ahead of the game?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
Interesting stat and it sort of makes a mockery of those saying we have improved because the score against is better than last year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:43 pm 
John Nicholls

dannyboy wrote:
Effes wrote:

so we can say we're ahead of the game?

:lol:

But seriously, it seems counter intuitive. Several new rules designed to open up play, plus more teams playing run-and-gun football and yet scores are down.

EDIT: The team Ratten built was ahead of its time. Built for fast ball movement and a lot of run-and-carry. Firing him for losses in an injury-prone year was the biggest mistake we could have made and it set us back a decade. We could have pinched a flag, and with free agency the way it is we could also have been a perennial contender. Now we're in a rut that will be very hard to get out of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Effes wrote:
Interesting stat and it sort of makes a mockery of those saying we have improved because the score against is better than last year

Our % this year is 79 vs 61 after 4 rounds last year.

Higher scoring also equates to higher % therefore even this shows improvement

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Effes wrote:

Pointing out % is really clutching at straws don't you think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:48 pm 
John James

Better information than continuous bitching.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Effes wrote:

I would have thought points for and points against is relevant when discussing scoring.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Effes wrote:

I look at % as THE most important stat when comparing seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Listening to 3AW. Their sports editor says that CFC powerbrokers "and there are plenty of them" have given BB 4 to 8 weeks to show a dramatic improvement in the team or he is gone.

I'm enjoying the outside heat on our club because the days of "we won't be judged by wins/loses" are over... year 4 we have to show hope... and we're a little off atm.

But I don't wan't to see Bolton sakced mid season... knee jerk reactions are the reason why we're in this position

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Bolton could just be our Brendan McCartney.
We need a Luke Bevo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Where's blueman when you need him???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

As I have said previously, you get nothing if you sakc in the season, if you must wait the season out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 350  Next