Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 am 
formerly King Kenny

Blue Vain wrote:
Offensive style?
In Round 1 and the pre-season games, people were bemoaning our lack of forward entries. :?
The main difference IMO is we're playing on more instead of the slow ball movement. That is a natural progression for our players and should be encouraged.
IMHO, we went in with a plan Saturday and it didn't work. I would encourage the coaches to implement new strategies and to progress our development. They tried and it didn't work. We can bookmark that idea and shelve it until another day.
My only criticism is we didn't recognise the method wasn't working early enough during the game and put measures in place to rectify it. In saying that, in the second and third quarters we had periods where we totally dominated the game but skill errors or poor decisions cost us badly. The players had a very poor day and I think the coaches did as well. It happens.
But let's not think going backwards to a defensive style will solve our problems. We have to progress. We have to continue to develop the players or we will go backwards. The return of key players and extra game time into the youngsters will make a significant difference.

I think the issue the first two rounds has been the defensive foundation we are meant to launch from. Where has it gone? Why not continue what we have learnt the past two years and add a more attacking flair once we win the ball back.

Our defending is atrocious. Over 100pts in two games conceded already.

The coaches need to get back to the basics, defend well, then attack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It's 2 games into the season and we've conceded a total of 4 points more than we did after 2 Rounds last year.
Let's not get too carried away.
Considering we've lost an All Australian defender, I think we will see improvement in that area in the next few weeks. The defensive problems Saturday were a result of getting smashed in the ruck as much as anything else.
They scored 10.8 from stoppages. More than 2 thirds of their score. We kicked 4.2.
When you lose by 34 points and the opposition kick an extra 40 points from stoppages, it's not rocket science where the problem was created.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Just reading the reactions in the match thread, it seemed like a pretty offensive style to me :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Clearly with enough i50 entries.

Just think we need 2 deep tall targets in space to straighten us up. I'd go with Charlie/Harry or Charlie/Kerr.

Jack, Wright and Gartlett as high half forwards running forward.

Levi off the bench rotating in the ruck and forward.

Have to bite the bullet down back with only 2 talls and Plowman. Can't have Jones/Weitering/Marchbank in the same side one's got to go. Give Weits 2 weeks in the maggoos to sharpen up then bring him in for Jones and settle it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 am 
Bob Chitty

Love your posts BV.

As usual you make plenty of sense.

We did have a lot of our best 22 not playing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am 
Ken Hunter

This had nothing to do with defensive or offenive style. God help us if we go back to playing non-attacking footy again.

Our mentality going into this game was not right and going in with no ruckman and then forward line destroyed any opportunity we had on winning. Bolton made the Casboult forward / Jones to the ruck change in the last quarter. Surely knowing we went in with no ruckman, we would have had a plan to combat Witts? He gave his midfield an arm chair ride from the first bounce. We got smashed at the centre bounces and clearances. Our disposal and entries into our f50 in particular were long to contetsts, inparticular Charlie. Their pressure caused the majority but It was atrocious to watch. We just can’t tackle and mor importantly either refuse or don’t know how to protect the ball carrier with a shepherd or block. Under 14’s learn to play as a team and do team things. Frustrating.

We were lucky to get within the 5 goals in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am 
Geoff Southby

Are we not meant to have depth this year? Well, where is it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

I think Teddy that there was the illusion of depth possibly by slightly overrating some of the players brought in ... quality depth is more of what we require and this will come of course ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Always gives me a chuckle when people start talking about our "Amazing depth" in the off season, and how hard it is to pick a starting 22 lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dont want to be a dreaded fifth columnist but how much longer does Bolton's Honeymoon period last? When does he come under real accountability for results. I understand we are a developing team etc etc but where is the line, when does the talk about 'be comfortable being uncomfortable, green shoots etc etc' wear thin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

We had 2 good JLT games and our Round 1 game was very good. Leading in the last quarter against the premiers with Kennedy and Kreuzer out of the game.
Yes we had a shocker Saturday but it happens. Richmond were beaten by St Kilda last year by more than 11 goals. It didn't stop them having a very good season.

Let's give it a bit of time before making assessments about this years progression.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:00 am 
Craig Bradley

Too much logic Blue Vain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 am 
Ken Hunter

no no BV I wish to take it one week at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 am 
Horrie Clover

Blue Vain wrote:
We had 2 good JLT games and our Round 1 game was very good. Leading in the last quarter against the premiers with Kennedy and Kreuzer out of the game.
Yes we had a shocker Saturday but it happens. Richmond were beaten by St Kilda last year by more than 11 goals. It didn't stop them having a very good season.

Let's give it a bit of time before making assessments about this years progression.

i like this. don't get too high and don't get too low. it was 1 game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Its not logic.
Early season form is generally a reflection of what happens for the rest of the year.
In previous years where you sit after round 5 or 6 is where you end up at the end of the year.
(Sydney was an anomaly last year)
We should be winning more games than last year but lose the next 1 or 2 and it wont happen.
If we get half way 3 and 8 or worse you then have to seriously question Boltons capacity to coach .
8 to 9 wins this year should have been the pass mark

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:

The frustration comes from that predictability year in year out that we tend to struggle mentally as the 'hunted' and that perception, rightly or wrongly that the team picks and chooses when it 'comes to play'

For mine, we need to beat Coll, NM and WB during April to give me hope that the side is on the right track MENTALLY and that the GC game was just 'one of those games'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 am 
Bruce Doull

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

The frustration comes from that predictability year in year out that we tend to struggle mentally as the 'hunted' and that perception, rightly or wrongly that the team picks and chooses when it 'comes to play'

For mine, we need to beat Coll, NM and WB during April to give me hope that the side is on the right track MENTALLY and that the GC game was just 'one of those games'

Yep - if we’re still winless after this group of games we’re completely [REDACTED].

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Well I am starting to look at the draft ... :grin:

Rankine is the ultimate gun pick. Bring on the wooden spoon ... :smoking:

Every woe is the result of the Madhouse! :donk:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:47 pm 
Bob Chitty

Sam Walsh is the one I want regardless where we finish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mots87 wrote:
Sam Walsh is the one I want regardless where we finish.

It was only 2 games I saw highlights of on Youtube on Sam Walsh but his disposal wasn't the cleanest. More 2 sided than Rankine though.

Plays a bit like Dow which may not be ideal for us but does appear to play as a true midfielder which we desperately need.

But aren't we all hoping we don't get a top 5 pick? :wink:

- Igor Stravinsky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 350  Next