Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jonosc1 wrote:
Watching the pies tonight with a clear game plan to play against tigers. Does make me wonder what our coaching staff do from week to week. I know we probably don’t have the skill to do this plan, but it would be nice to see a coaching initiated change.

Buckley said it was the same strategy as last week. They just executed it better.
Sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 am 
Craig Bradley

Watching the Pies last night was devastating in that we seem to be light years from that level.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 am 
Rod Ashman

also easier to execute the plan when you have

pendlebury 250+ games
treloar 130+
beams 150+
sidebottom 200+
grundy 100+
Varcoe 200+
greenwood 130+
Mayne 170+

as part of the core midfield

we have murph and cripps (who hasn't cracked 90 games yet) supported mostly by 1-3 year players

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Stop being sensible doofdoof. There is no room for facts in the criticising of our coaching and game plan. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 am 
Stephen Silvagni

So glad Walls is there to give an opinion from a distance.

It’s ok to be close and supportive of your players but if you’re too close I think a bit of objectivity and reason can be lost.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:00 pm 
Bert Deacon

i was thinking the same watching collingwood game plan of always kicking the ball to a teammate either from defence or to wing but my favourite is having fwds that lead to ball carrier.I hope bolts and co watch and learn.Please no more long bombs into our fwd line.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

much gets made of our list, and in particular our mids. too immature in body and perhaps mind. all of which I agree with.

but we're fit. Russel has ensured this much. we ran the most of any team in opening week. so if we're not strong enough in the clinches and in tight with our young bodies. and if we can't compete in an arm wrestle – we can't. Why are we slow playing it every week and always looking east to west as our primary route? and, we've done so for the last 3-years which nobody can deny.

but, why not push the tempo? Whenever we have, we've looked good. imo, there's a bunch of plodding teams we could run off the park if we released the handbrake.

... it's just one little aspect of the coaching & gameplan which i'd love to see tweaked. it would also show bolton can evolve his methods, and in doing so, silence alotta the doubters.

port with their ageing midfield would be ripe for the picking if we did. my ovaries would explode with ecstasy over a good old fashioned ambush of running it right down Port's throat. or at least die trying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

doofdoof wrote:
also easier to execute the plan when you have

pendlebury 250+ games
treloar 130+
beams 150+
sidebottom 200+
grundy 100+
Varcoe 200+
greenwood 130+
Mayne 170+

as part of the core midfield

we have murph and cripps (who hasn't cracked 90 games yet) supported mostly by 1-3 year players

You don't have to have 100+ games to know how to kick the ball to someone on the full so they can mark it.
You don't have to have played 100+ to know that you have to handball in front of the running player so he can run on to it and not have to stop and wait.
Those are basic skills. Week after week we have players trying to mark half volleys and receiving handballs while standing still.
Just so, The Pies were very good, and aided and abetted by the umpires, who as a fraternity seem to have forgotten that players are supposed to punch the ball off one hand when hand-balling.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

jamespul65 wrote:
i was thinking the same watching collingwood game plan of always kicking the ball to a teammate either from defence or to wing but my favourite is having fwds that lead to ball carrier.I hope bolts and co watch and learn.Please no more long bombs into our fwd line.
I do think think we're skilled enough yet for leads beyond the arc, it risks turnovers in the half forward area which are killers. Expect to see more bombing as it gives a chance to keep the ball locked in there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Unless he can make the players realise there are 30 minutes in a quarter and 4 quarters in a game, he might as well stay at home.
Unless he can make running players gain ground, he is wasting his time and ours.
Unless he can explain that kicking the footy forty metres down the line to a group of opposition players when we have players loose in space elsewhere, he might as well just invite them six at a time to his house for a barbecue and be done with footy.
Unless he plays players to their strengths, he will never give them time to execute. Garlett should never play down back. The flair he showed in his early days last year and as a kid has been snuffed out. Put him on the wing or HFF and tell him to find space and carry the footy. That's his thing.
Unless he can stop what seems to be a mindset of 'losing is OK', he is never going to turn these racehorses into stayers and work horses.
Unless he can get them to show something, he won't see the year out.

He has recruited a team of running machines and told them not to run. He is driving a whole lot of square pegs into round holes. I hate it when the off season promises so much and then after two rounds it's obvious there is less improvement in our team than there is in the other teams we were supposed to compete with this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Unless he can make the players realise there are 30 minutes in a quarter and 4 quarters in a game, he might as well stay at home.
Unless he can make running players gain ground, he is wasting his time and ours.
Unless he can explain that kicking the footy forty metres down the line to a group of opposition players when we have players loose in space elsewhere, he might as well just invite them six at a time to his house for a barbecue and be done with footy.
Unless he plays players to their strengths, he will never give them time to execute. Garlett should never play down back. The flair he showed in his early days last year and as a kid has been snuffed out. Put him on the wing or HFF and tell him to find space and carry the footy. That's his thing.
Unless he can stop what seems to be a mindset of 'losing is OK', he is never going to turn these racehorses into stayers and work horses.
Unless he can get them to show something, he won't see the year out.

He has recruited a team of running machines and told them not to run. He is driving a whole lot of square pegs into round holes. I hate it when the off season promises so much and then after two rounds it's obvious there is less improvement in our team than there is in the other teams we were supposed to compete with this year.

this post is perfect. this is exactly everything that is wrong with us at the moment. i cant see him lasting beyond this year unless we manage to change up a lot and somehow change a club mindset

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:07 pm 
Robert Walls

It's starting to get difficult to form an image in my mind of Bolts holding up a premiership cup.... But give him time. No point sacking him now after round 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not sensing much of Bolts' perceived softness in his latest presser
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2019 ... -postmatch

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Bluey44 wrote:
It's starting to get difficult to form an image in my mind of Bolts holding up a premiership cup.... But give him time. No point sacking him now after round 2

You're right.
No point sacking him after round two but the players aren't doing him any favours by serving up half a game of footy a week.
If he can't get this group of potential stars to win games of football, can he at least get them to play out an entire game? That'd be a good start.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:46 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Brendon ‘honourable loss’ Bolton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 am 
Craig Bradley

A big test will come in two weeks. Lose to the Gold Coast then the heat comes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Uncle Zel wrote:

That is just crap.
Nothing in his presser suggests he isn't hurting every but as much as we are. Nothing he said suggests he is happy with the result.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
Uncle Zel wrote:

That is just crap.
Nothing in his presser suggests he isn't hurting every but as much as we are. Nothing he said suggests he is happy with the result.
I'm hurting but I know I can't coach.
Are you hurting BG
Most blues supporters are hurting but most blues can't coach either.
Get me in that presser and I would show more hurting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Uncle Zel wrote:

That is just crap.
I'm hurting but I know I can't coach.
Are you hurting BG
Most blues supporters are hurting but most blues can't coach either.
Get me in that presser and I would show more hurting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yep. I am hurting like everyone else here Syd. Take another look if you can't see the pain and weariness in his presser. He is hurting big time and he never says or implies that this was an honorable loss. Quite the opposite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:04 am 
Geoff Southby

Anyone outside of the club who reads this thread would think we are all delusional, because some people carry on here like we are a top 4 chance.

We played a good (not great) game yesterday, much better than what I thought we would and in improvement on last week. We were competitive longer, attacked the ball harder and at times we hit the scoreboard (losing Charlie didn't help). But we still have the same issues we have had for the last 3 years of the rebuild, skill errors, lack of experience and being able to stand up for a full game. And I hate to point out the obvious, this is what happens when you rebuild with a bunch of kids that have mostly less than 50 games under their belt.

The only thing that really annoyed me as a supporter yesterday was Murphy, as a long time supporter of him he cost us the game (apart from the deplorable umpiring). For a senior veteran midfielder his disposals were terrible and mainly ineffective. And I hate to say this, but if he is injured (and we are not being told) or just out of form he needs to be dropped back. The main issue for us is that our only senior midfielder who has elite kicking is no longer elite and this will be the difference with us and every team this year. There are a few others to mention but every team has them, every team.

The main thing everyone with high expectations needs to remember when bashing the coaching department and game plan is, as Jim pointed out in the after game thread. We have only won 2 games out of the last 37, this team does not know how to win yet and this is a collective mindset. So you can attack the coaching and game plan all you want but you might want to open your eyes a little and see that this year with the new runner rules will prove it's more about the players than the coaches more than it has ever been. And as for the tripe about players being played out of position or not to their strengths, c'mon, so they can't play a role in a team now, yet you expect them to be coached on how to run out a full game, have elite skills from preseason etc. Pfft....sorry but that is hilarious. They have been drafted, traded and inherited to the team to play these roles as a team for the team, there is many a player in every team that has had to play a different role than they used to or that some may think is not their "natural" game. But this is what their teams need and if they can't do it, they get moved on. Plus when do you realise we have a talented core but still a lot of players that wouldn't make it in any other team above us.

How about we leave the coaching to the coaches and stop being so Carlton and starting the momentum of calling for heads after round 2.

And yes, I am happy with the way the rebuild is going and can't wait for the day when it all clicks together, hopefully soon. I see us still a year or two behind Brisbane.

At lease we are not playing like EFC** or the Demons at the moment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 350  Next