Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
Basically we need to make a decision to stop delisting 10-15 a year and expecting some SOS trickery to lead us to the promised land. I am thinking that the plan has been to stabilize from this year on.

Mind you replacing list cloggers with other list cloggers in O’Shea Mullett and Shaw makes no sense. Are we to believe these are better because they are SOS’a chosen list cloggers.

Basically it’s smoke and mirrors, just work with what we have and work to get better players in and make the best with what we have, rather than thinking the grass is always greener with a new player traded in or a new shiny draft pick.

So what you're saying is the club should continue the path it has repeatedly said it would.
Turn the list over for 3 drafts then stabilise the list. :?

Yep. The club has been transparent about that being its strategy.

I do think we cut a fraction too deep at the end of last season though. O’Shea, Mullett & Shaw were never going to improve our list. I understand the desire to add some players in their mid 20s - and with AFL experience - to our list profile, but they were never going to be upgrades on similar players we let go; eg. Smedts, Boekhorst, Buckley, Sumner & Palmer.

It’s not going to make a difference in the long term, but in the short term I think it would have slightly reduced the lack of synergy/cohesion we’ve seen early this season if we’d retained a couple of those guys instead of picking up O’Shea, Mullett and/or Shaw.

Drafting O’Shea was mystifying. He showed the same attributes that he is showing now in the AFL (hard worker, turnover merchant) in our VFL side last year. Mullett hasn’t stunk the team up quite as much, but what value was their ever going to be in giving 2 spots on our list to players (Mullett & Shaw) delisted by bottom 4 teams?

Keeping 2 or 3 of Smedts, Sumner etc (instead of getting O’Shea, Mullett and/or Shaw) might not have changed the quality of our list - but it might have reduced some of the short term lack of synergy because those guys already knew our system and their teammates.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
A single player - will depend on the player.

A team - will get better if it has the basis of talent

Dow
O'Brien
Curnow
Fisher
Marchbank
Mckay
Ploughman
SPS
Cunningham
Williamson
Mcreadie
Cripps
Garlett
Pickett
SOS
LeBois

Collectively will get better - all of them? No but there is a lot of talent there, so enough, more than enough.
I feel this is the difference from the time we brought Judd in. We actually didn't have the spread, we acted too soon and wasted a perfect chance to build because we were impatient. (Also recruitment was shambolic - Maclean...)

This time we are trying to select a real spread of talent, of depth and they will need to play and grow

and they need a better captain

and a few more peices - but overall I think this time is better than under Ratts or the disaster that was Malthouse. Under Ratts we moved too quickly - The whole club. Then MM and now we understand...I am gratful for that - bit like once you recover from an illness and develop immunity, MM gave us the illness we needed.

Some things just take time but if you get them right, then for a long time things won't take so much time. That is the lesson i feel we have finally learnt.
Walker
Russel - just a player
Murphy - not a captain but a grader
Gibbs - a grader
Judd - no this cost us a fortune.
Yarren - loads of potential
Kruezer - still with us
Grigg - b grader
Hampson - shocking pick 17 when we picked Kruiser and Jacobs (I would have gone with Cotchin but understood the Kruise selection).
Stevens - not young when he came to us
Carrazzo - rookie for a reason
Bower - disappointed me
Waite - good player
Fevola - self-destructed
Simpson - still playing
Betts - MM's madness.
Jamison - Rookie.

2009 playing list
Far more potential than what we have now - I would argue way less potential in the kids.

What happened was we got ahead of ourselves in 2007 - that's really my point, From 2007 we could have built something but in going for Judd (and giving up Kennedy and Pick 3) and in going for Maclean (and giving away another first rounder) and in going for Thomas and losing Betts (and Garlett and Yarran - @#$%&! MM) we lost the plot - doesn;t mean the plot was wrong, just that we didn't follow it.

What you are showing is why we must take our time - carlton looked at 2007 and thinking every single player would work out, decided they could go for a flag - we fell shiort and then lacked the depth to recover (then added MM and what hope we had went out the window)

What happened Danny - Impatience happened.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Dow
O'Brien
Curnow
Fisher
Marchbank
Mckay
Ploughman
SPS
Cunningham
Williamson
Mcreadie
Cripps
Garlett
Pickett
SOS
LeBois

Collectively will get better - all of them? No but there is a lot of talent there, so enough, more than enough.
I feel this is the difference from the time we brought Judd in. We actually didn't have the spread, we acted too soon and wasted a perfect chance to build because we were impatient. (Also recruitment was shambolic - Maclean...)

This time we are trying to select a real spread of talent, of depth and they will need to play and grow

and a few more peices - but overall I think this time is better than under Ratts or the disaster that was Malthouse. Under Ratts we moved too quickly - The whole club. Then MM and now we understand...I am gratful for that - bit like once you recover from an illness and develop immunity, MM gave us the illness we needed.

Some things just take time but if you get them right, then for a long time things won't take so much time. That is the lesson i feel we have finally learnt.
Walker
Russel - just a player
Gibbs - a grader
Kruezer - still with us
Grigg - b grader
Hampson - shocking pick 17 when we picked Kruiser and Jacobs (I would have gone with Cotchin but understood the Kruise selection).
Bower - disappointed me
Waite - good player
Fevola - self-destructed
Simpson - still playing
Betts - MM's madness.
Jamison - Rookie.

2009 playing list
Far more potential than what we have now - I would argue way less potential in the kids.

What happened was we got ahead of ourselves in 2007 - that's really my point, From 2007 we could have built something but in going for Judd (and giving up Kennedy and Pick 3) and in going for Maclean (and giving away another first rounder) and in going for Thomas and losing Betts (and Garlett and Yarran - @#$%&! MM) we lost the plot - doesn;t mean the plot was wrong, just that we didn't follow it.

What you are showing is why we must take our time - carlton looked at 2007 and thinking every single player would work out, decided they could go for a flag - we fell shiort and then lacked the depth to recover (then added MM and what hope we had went out the window)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The Duke wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Good God we all have passion
We have had the worst start to a season since 89
Bit of reality please

And the youngest team we've ever put on the field.
A bit of perspective please.

Ahhhh, at an average age of 24 and 9 months, not even close. The R1 team was younger.

:?
Is Round 1 not a part of this season?
He said it's the worst start to a season. Thats the total of 5 games, not 1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

moshe25 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I can't even work out what you're arguing now Syd
Now??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Dow
O'Brien
Curnow
Fisher
Marchbank
Mckay
Ploughman
SPS
Cunningham
Williamson
Mcreadie
Cripps
Garlett
Pickett
SOS
LeBois

Walker
Russel - just a player
Gibbs - a grader
Kruezer - still with us
Grigg - b grader
Bower - disappointed me
Waite - good player
Fevola - self-destructed
Simpson - still playing
Betts - MM's madness.
Jamison - Rookie.

2009 playing list

I understand that but how long does it take.
Club annouced a 66 game rebuild in Malthouse last year unbeknown to Malthouse.
That 66 game rebuild then got shifted to when Bolton took over.
Bolton in his presser was saying he is excited to see what the players will do with 100 games under their belt.
So we go from 66 then extend another 22 then add another 100 .
We are talking 8 to 9 years and that's provided it works and players dont leave etc etc .

Don't you think that is a bit rich asking supporters to accept another 5 years of rubbish on the hope that they have it right.

This all goes on and whilst it is happening other clubs are turning players over developing and recruiting as well.
What makes you think we will do it better than them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:

Article from April 2015

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/raising-the-white-flag-to-rebuild-is-just-an-excuse-for-a-clubs-failure/news-story/cbaa6f6bfd6b4fbd27eb424ea1ac9ade

Quote:
But the Carlton list stinks. And on the back of two horror losses, word leaked from new list manager Stephen Silvagni of what is reportedly being called internally, a “66 game rebuild plan”.

CEO Steven Trigg confirmed the “rebuild” to members last Thursday. Expect it to involve the trading out of middle-age stars like Bryce Gibbs or Marc Murphy, and dropping down the ladder to secure early draft picks across the next three seasons, or “66 games”.

So no, no shifting, it was to start from the trade period at the end of 2015 and the 66 games were to be over 2016/17/18. It was to involve trading middle -age stars like Bryce Gibbs and involved dropping down the ladder over 2016/17/18.

Everything is completely in line with what was leaked in 2015.

You are wrong Sydney Blue, doesn't matter how many times you repeat your fallacies.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Article from April 2015

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/raising-the-white-flag-to-rebuild-is-just-an-excuse-for-a-clubs-failure/news-story/cbaa6f6bfd6b4fbd27eb424ea1ac9ade

Quote:
But the Carlton list stinks. And on the back of two horror losses, word leaked from new list manager Stephen Silvagni of what is reportedly being called internally, a “66 game rebuild plan”.

CEO Steven Trigg confirmed the “rebuild” to members last Thursday. Expect it to involve the trading out of middle-age stars like Bryce Gibbs or Marc Murphy, and dropping down the ladder to secure early draft picks across the next three seasons, or “66 games”.

So no, no shifting, it was to start from the trade period at the end of 2015 and the 66 games were to be over 2016/17/18. It was to involve trading middle -age stars like Bryce Gibbs and involved dropping down the ladder over 2016/17/18.

You are wrong Sydney Blue, doesn't matter how many times you repeat your fallacies.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-21/carlton-rebuild-sapping-confidence-says-mick-malthouse/6486566

Dont think so Verbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:24 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Article from April 2015

Quote:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-21/carlton-rebuild-sapping-confidence-says-mick-malthouse/6486566

Dont think so Verbs

The only way you can rebuild once the season has started is if you purposely lose games for draft picks which are not, in any way, counted in those 66 games which were leaked after someone spoke to Silvagni and later confirmed by Trigg. The 66 games started round 1 2016, always did and always will have, so we are still in that 66 game period. It's simple for most people to understand. Obviously not you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Article from April 2015

Quote:

Dont think so Verbs

The only way you can rebuild once the season has started is if you purposely lose games for draft picks which are not, in any way, counted in those 66 games which were leaked after someone spoke to Silvagni and later confirmed by Trigg. The 66 games started round 1 2016, always did and always will have, so we are still in that 66 game period. It's simple for most people to understand. Obviously not you.
Someone should have told Mick that as the rebuild was announced by MLG at the start of 2015 and MM was instructed to play youth which he refused to do

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:36 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Article from April 2015

Quote:

Dont think so Verbs

Someone should have told Mick that as the rebuild was announced by MLG at the start of 2015 and MM was instructed to play youth which he refused to do

Silvagni joined Carlton in November 2014, after the draft was completed. He begun this 66 rebuild as of the 2015 draft. He couldn't possibly have started in 2015 other than to say get rid of so-and-so at season's end, or play youth, neither of which is really rebuilding other than securing the number 1 pick which is the beginning of the rebuild in November 2015. I see you now admit you were wrong and we are still in the 66 game rebuild as it was to take place over 2016/17/18 seasons, meant we would drop down the ladder and trade someone like Gibbs?

Are you someone who complains about your house not having walls and a roof before the foundations have still not been completely laid?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:36 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Article from April 2015

Quote:

Dont think so Verbs

Is that a fact or just your vibe, Syd ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The idea is to get games into the 2015/16/17 draft picks as a premium.

The 66 game rebuild includes the 2018 draft which supposedly has some high end talent available this year.

The idea is to nail 4 picks per draft if possible.

Weitering
McKay
C Curnow
Cuningham
J Silvagni

Petrevski-Seton
Fisher
Macredie
Polson
Williamson
Kerr

Dow
O'Brien
De Koning
Schumacher
Garlett

Number 1 or 2
Second round
Secound round
Third round

All talented. Not all will make it but 4 x 4 drafts = 16 players of high quality together with Cripps, Docherty, Byrne, Marchbank, Plowman, Pickett, a free agent or two, plus future drafting and trading, it's the way forward. It will take time but the list above has some serious talent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
verbs wrote:
[quote="Sydney Blue"]I understand that but how long does it take.

Article from April 2015

Quote:

Dont think so Verbs

Is that a fact or just your vibe, Syd ?[/quote]http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/jon-ralph/mick-malthouse-has-to-play-the-kids-at-carlton-to-keep-his-job/news-story/8a941d3027e2416fe3968c9f642a90e0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Well, if Jon Ralph says so...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Some people have lousy memory.
I am one that doesn't.
MLG announced the rebuild at the start of Micks last year. Mick was pissed and rightly so.
The rebuild time line was shifted 12 months.
It is a moving target .
Bolton in his presser was saying that he players need 100 games.
It is like a job protection racket.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... b6d9b31388

Sept 2014 hmm make things up do I

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:45 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-carlton-has-officially-started-rebuilding-but-what-now-for-mick-malthouse/news-story/31c1e835681cc44ffc3637b6d9b31388

You have been constantly making up what games the 66 game rebuild includes, though I notice your last few posts have not mentioned anything about the 66 games. You won't be able to find a link which proves the 66 games began before round 1 2016. It began round 1 2016 as has been pointed out to you quite clearly. We are currently at game 49. The good thing is it involves 4 drafts which is 12 to 16 top quality young players brought into the club to lay the foundations of hopefully a sustained period of high quality football.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-carlton-has-officially-started-rebuilding-but-what-now-for-mick-malthouse/news-story/31c1e835681cc44ffc3637b6d9b31388

You have been constantly making up what games the 66 game rebuild includes, though I notice your last few posts have not mentioned anything about the 66 games. You won't be able to find a link which proves the 66 games began before round 1 2016. It began round 1 2016 as has been pointed out to you quite clearly. We are currently at game 49. The good thing is it involves 4 drafts which is 12 to 16 top quality young players brought into the club to lay the foundations of hopefully a sustained period of high quality football.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/footy-experts/brenton-sanderson-every-club-is-rebuilding/news-story/48f4efb8096eb9ce554cbf8815d046d2

This about sums it up for me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Seriously, who gives a shit?

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 350  Next