Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

So I've had the day off today and I've spent a little time researching. You can say I have too much time on my hands and perhaps I do today and I really wanted to demonstrate why I feel the way I do about Bolton and Carlton's journey to date.

In the last 10 years of AFL history there have been 52 coaches, of those 52, 6 have coached their team to a premiership, this means that based on 10 years just under 12% of coaches will win a premiership.It's not many. It's tough and its rare.

Further to that, of those 6 coaches they took on average 5 years coaching their teams before their premiership year.

Brendon Bolton is into his 4th year now. Brendon took on one of the toughest assignments that I can think of in Footy. He put his hand up to coach a team who has been lacking any form of list management for 15 years, despicable recruiting with a culture that was nothing, not positive, not negative just non existent and irrelevant. 42 players were turned over in 3 years, Carlton was starting from scratch. This is a unique situation and one of such complexity that I don't think many people truly understand the mammoth and difficult task that he agreed to.

Over the past 4 years Bolton has been enthusiastic, positive, resolved, patient, professional, relentless and 100% dedicated to this job. He has managed to create a club of loyalty and mateship, a place that people want to be and dare I say it a destination club. Bolton should be given the opportunity to see it through until its destination, we aren't there yet and all romance aside i think the statistics prove that he needs more time. For all those saying "Bolton was the right man up until now" I say get F@#%!. Bolton took this on and he deserves to see it through. Let him have the opportunity to become one of those 12%. Lets not be hasty here just because uneducated, bias, frustrated, impatient supporters think that a talented bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings who have barely played 22 games together should be top 4.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hard to argue with that - good post.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:03 pm 
Rod McGregor

TheBluesMuse wrote:
So I've had the day off today and I've spent a little time researching. You can say I have too much time on my hands and perhaps I do today and I really wanted to demonstrate why I feel the way I do about Bolton and Carlton's journey to date.

In the last 10 years of AFL history there have been 52 coaches, of those 52, 6 have coached their team to a premiership, this means that based on 10 years just under 12% of coaches will win a premiership.It's not many. It's tough and its rare.

Further to that, of those 6 coaches they took on average 5 years coaching their teams before their premiership year.

Brendon Bolton is into his 4th year now. Brendon took on one of the toughest assignments that I can think of in Footy. He put his hand up to coach a team who has been lacking any form of list management for 15 years, despicable recruiting with a culture that was nothing, not positive, not negative just non existent and irrelevant. 42 players were turned over in 3 years, Carlton was starting from scratch. This is a unique situation and one of such complexity that I don't think many people truly understand the mammoth and difficult task that he agreed to.

Over the past 4 years Bolton has been enthusiastic, positive, resolved, patient, professional, relentless and 100% dedicated to this job. He has managed to create a club of loyalty and mateship, a place that people want to be and dare I say it a destination club. Bolton should be given the opportunity to see it through until its destination, we aren't there yet and all romance aside i think the statistics prove that he needs more time. For all those saying "Bolton was the right man up until now" I say get F@#%!. Bolton took this on and he deserves to see it through. Let him have the opportunity to become one of those 12%. Lets not be hasty here just because uneducated, bias, frustrated, impatient supporters think that a talented bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings who have barely played 22 games together should be top 4.

Quality post.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:19 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Great stuff BluesMuse.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm 
Wayne Johnston

TheBluesMuse wrote:

So based on these averages (plus the handicap) it will be another 2-3 years before we expect to be any good. Should I laugh or cry?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm 
Ken Hands

Great post , agree totally

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Good post. This is my favourite part.

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Lets not be hasty here just because uneducated, bias, frustrated, impatient supporters think that a talented bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings who have barely played 22 games together should be top 4.

This was a close second.

TheBlueMuse wrote:
For all those saying "Bolton was the right man up until now" I say get F@#%!.

:grin: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I would like to say something but have been confined to the Misery Guts thread.

I better get out of here before I am caught :-)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

TheBluesMuse wrote:

This is the point where the W-L record is usually posted.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Great post TBM
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

I concur
Unfortunately if we continue to lose the Board May have a different view

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

TheBluesMuse wrote:

Prime candidate for bringing back Post of the Week :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

TheBluesMuse wrote:

:clap: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Scotty12000 wrote:
TheBluesMuse wrote:

Prime candidate for bringing back Post of the Week :thumbsup:

:clap:

Get on it mods... :thumbsup:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah... but..why aren't we top 4 yet?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am 
Ken Hunter

..he's the right coach, to an extent my opinion is that the first few years were the rebuild.. ..his Real coaching tenure is starting from this season..

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:

:thumbsup:

Agree.

Empirical evidence difficult to dispute.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 pm 
Bob Chitty

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..he's the right coach, to an extent my opinion is that the first few years were the rebuild.. ..his Real coaching tenure is starting from this season..

agree with the post by bluemuse and this add on.

injuries aside, outside of the North game, it has been a far better season for along time, and most importantly its coming from the kids.

I thought against the pies, it wasnt just cripps (who was epic) but we started to see Fisher take it by the scruff of the neck, cunningham take it by the scruff of the next, silvagini, walsh, marchbank etc...

and, most importanly, i thought Boltons response, after the game in his press conference was spot on ... "now is not the time for pats on the back, we lost, and we need to start winning etc.."

The List, The Coach, THe High Performance Manager etc.. its all spot on now .. not its about development and execution, and yes abit of luck .. but we have given ourselves the best chance of success ...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

You know for the first time in a while I am happy with our direction - really happy, not hoping. I can see this side developing, I can see the belief and reliance on each other growing. Its still a long way to go, they have to learn to win, to trust, to fight to the very death and there are no guarantees, but I can see what this side could be - I can see the potential - yes that is all it is, but its been a while before I could even see that.

Last time I think was when we drafted Murph and Kennedy and we lost our nerve...we wanted to turn it around too swiftly. I loved Judd is blue but in the end we lost on that deal because it takes time to develop the kids, they are not seasoned campaigners like in the 80's when we drafted for need. So Judd was too soon and accomplished nothing - this time we seem to be holding our nerve and the signs are good. The performances are much better- yes the losing still hurts but at least i can see them learning and I can see their pain growing, their want for the team to achieve growing... I can finally see Carlton returning...

I began to suspect I never would. I began to think we had permanently lost our way - it still may be the case - we must find a way to win...and soon...or we may slip again, panic and throw another set of babies out with the bathwater...but I like this group...I like our captain, a real leader, I like the mid-field - I love our defense and now the forward line...its really the last piece...that and a ruckman to replace Kruse while De Koning develops...but this year is the first time I can see talent along all lines...can see kids growing together...can see us as we should be... a powerhouse club. Not this year...this year we just need to scrape some wins, win ugly...win with luck...just win some...and build...build into next year and beyond.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
You know for the first time in a while I am happy with our direction - really happy, not hoping. I can see this side developing, I can see the belief and reliance on each other growing. Its still a long way to go, they have to learn to win, to trust, to fight to the very death and there are no guarantees, but I can see what this side could be - I can see the potential - yes that is all it is, but its been a while before I could even see that.

Last time I think was when we drafted Murph and Kennedy and we lost our nerve...we wanted to turn it around too swiftly. I loved Judd is blue but in the end we lost on that deal because it takes time to develop the kids, they are not seasoned campaigners like in the 80's when we drafted for need. So Judd was too soon and accomplished nothing - this time we seem to be holding our nerve and the signs are good. The performances are much better- yes the losing still hurts but at least i can see them learning and I can see their pain growing, their want for the team to achieve growing... I can finally see Carlton returning...

I began to suspect I never would. I began to think we had permanently lost our way - it still may be the case - we must find a way to win...and soon...or we may slip again, panic and throw another set of babies out with the bathwater...but I like this group...I like our captain, a real leader, I like the mid-field - I love our defense and now the forward line...its really the last piece...that and a ruckman to replace Kruse while De Koning develops...but this year is the first time I can see talent along all lines...can see kids growing together...can see us as we should be... a powerhouse club. Not this year...this year we just need to scrape some wins, win ugly...win with luck...just win some...and build...build into next year and beyond.

Jeez i like that Dan..You got a way with words pal Beatifully put..........how the friggin hell can you be so logical and balanced.I agree there is a lot of if,but's,and maybe's and it could all turn to shit...........BUT you can just feel its the real deal this time.Nothin' is set in stone .............BUT it just seems real this time.A big crop of highly talented youngsters all together at the same time.
Reckon the moon,the stars,and the planet are all starting to align

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 350  Next