Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camelboy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
How was it revisionist when I said it at the time ???
I have been saying it about Bolton - I stand back and listen to what he says - I dubbed him the Cliché Kid from basically Day 1
Right now watching last weeks effort you can clearly see his message what ever it maybe is not getting through
you have had plenty of digs at me in recent times I was just stating that just maybe I might be a better judge than some.
Maybe you are trying to create traffic for the site and I am an easy target

It's revisionist to portray yourself as a lone voice on the issues you raised.

Well I am close to being the lone voice again - a few are changing their tunes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

kezza wrote:
Should we start up a Sakc Bolton thread?

Way overdue. Syd should have started it the same day as this thread :razz: .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

If we can take “the above post to the bank” and bookmark it to come back in 2 years time, I assume then that’s your last comment on the matter.

Phew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yes, Bolton is full of cliche's but what else would you like to hear from him?
Seriously, tell us what you would like him to say.

He cant kick the players in the head every week. They're struggling with confidence as it is.
When he speaks to the media, he's also talking to the players, the sponsors, the supporters, the coteries, prospective recruits etc etc etc. It's a fine line to walk.
It's important that he stays on message. No doubt when he speaks to the players within the club, they're receiving the appropriate messaging.

If anyone has been involved in a club or a coaching panel that is in this situation, they'll know there is no perfect approach.
The key is to keep the players believing the future is positive. Especially after a heavy loss.
Bolton is saying exactly what needs to be said. If it doesn't satisfy everyone 100%, I can live with that. As long as the players are keeping their heads above water.

FWIW, before the bye, we led Sydney at half time and were very competitive throughout the game and were unlucky not to beat Geelong. Top 5 teams. Yes the Freo game was a disaster but it's not like it's a pattern of poor performances.
If the remainder of the season drops away, by all means lay the boots in but I'm expecting significant improvement as players come back in to the team.
Time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

AFL360 put up all our results this year to show how disastrous the year has been and how bad we are blah blah.

It actually surprised me how it wasn't actually as bad as i thought.

R1- Loss to Tigers by 26 (Premiers , Best team in comp)
R2 - Loss to Gold Coast by 34 (Yes bit of a disaster.... got ahead of ourselves...huh?)
R3 - Loss to Pies by 24 (One of the best teams in the comp right now - even though at the time of this game everyone thought they were shit)
R4 - Loss to Roos by 86 (ok another disaster but it was in tassie and the Roos also have been a form team in the comp and tore some others new arseholes despite again everyone calling them shit at the time)
R5 - Loss to Eagles by 10 (A lot of experts favourites to make the grand final)
R6 - Loss to Dogs by 21 (shoulda woulda coulda won - struggled to convert - 21 is not exactly a blowout)
R7 - Loss to Crows by 55 (in Adelaide where most teams struggle - ironically the crows have dropped off a cliff since this)
R8 - Beat the filthy @#$%&! drug cheats by 13 - nice response to the road loss the week before
R9 - Loss to Melbourne by 109 (unacceptable but Melbourne are considered a top 4 team and havent just done this to us alone)
R10 - Loss to Geelong by 28 (another coulda woulda shoulda .... against a top 4 favourite)
R11 - Loss to Swans by 30 (oh look another coulda woulda shoulda...against another top 4 favourite)

Then the debacle after the bye we all know about.

Quite a lot of losses to highly fancied teams by 4-5 goals... which is pretty much a goal a quarter.

I've been pretty vocal about Bolton and the way we play etc etc

But to me those results surprisingly aren't as bad as it all seems for us right now.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
AFL360 put up all our results this year to show how disastrous the year has been and how bad we are blah blah.

R2 - Loss to Gold Coast by 34 (Yes bit of a disaster.... got ahead of ourselves...huh?)
R3 - Loss to Pies by 24 (One of the best teams in the comp right now - even though at the time of this game everyone thought they were shit)
R4 - Loss to Roos by 86 (ok another disaster but it was in tassie and the Roos also have been a form team in the comp and tore some others new arseholes despite again everyone calling them shit at the time)
R6 - Loss to Dogs by 21 (shoulda woulda coulda won - struggled to convert - 21 is not exactly a blowout)
R7 - Loss to Crows by 55 (in Adelaide where most teams struggle - ironically the crows have dropped off a cliff since this)
R8 - Beat the filthy @#$%&! drug cheats by 13 - nice response to the road loss the week before
R9 - Loss to Melbourne by 109 (unacceptable but Melbourne are considered a top 4 team and havent just done this to us alone)
R10 - Loss to Geelong by 28 (another coulda woulda shoulda .... against a top 4 favourite)
R11 - Loss to Swans by 30 (oh look another coulda woulda shoulda...against another top 4 favourite)

Quite a lot of losses to highly fancied teams by 4-5 goals... which is pretty much a goal a quarter.

But to me those results surprisingly aren't as bad as it all seems for us right now.

You have become conditioned to losing so therefore a 4-5 goal loss becomes an acceptable result
I sense that what the players have done as well
The Prez says this is all part of the big picture and everything is on track going according to plan
Just never mentioned this at the start of the season when asking 50k plus members to put their hands in the pocket to buy a membership
Look we are going to be crap but give me your money anyway .
If Malthouse said on thing right when he was at the club is you don't announce you are rebuilding - the entire mindset changes when you do that
Winning no longer matters and 4-5 goal losses are ok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm 
Bruce Doull

I never said it was acceptable but its not doomsday end of the world stuff either.

Would i like to be 12-0 or 11-1 instead of 1-11?

YES !!!

Or even be on 10 wins like the Tigers (lost to them by 26), Swans (lost to them by 30) and Eagles (lost to them by 10)

OF COURSE !!

But to think we should be expecting to be as good as these teams right now is unrealistic.

I'm not happy we are 1-11

I hate losing

I'm far from convinced Bolton is the man for us.

I hate the way we play.

Our selections are often baffling.

All i am saying is... taking a step back.. I was surprised the results arent as bad as i thought they were and perhaps.... just perhaps... it's not as doomsday as a lot of people think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

I remember being beaten by the Crows in the early '90s by 10 goals and it hurt for days. I'd hardly ever experienced a 10 goal loss before.

Now Blues supporters are like, yeah, not too bad considering - injuries/youth(TM)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

I must admit i am far less emotionally involved nowadays... used to scream at the tv... get really upset at losses etc- etc-

Almost shrug them off nowadays , almost expecting it.

Freo one hurt though

But my point above still stands... I think

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Sydney Blue wrote:

You have become conditioned to losing so therefore a 4-5 goal loss becomes an acceptable result
I sense that what the players have done as well
The Prez says this is all part of the big picture and everything is on track going according to plan
Just never mentioned this at the start of the season when asking 50k plus members to put their hands in the pocket to buy a membership
Look we are going to be crap but give me your money anyway .
If Malthouse said one thing right when he was at the club is you don't announce you are rebuilding - the entire mindset changes when you do that
Winning no longer matters and 4-5 goal losses are ok

Malthouse was full of shit and everyone eventually woke up to it. Bolton and SOS have been honest about a lengthy rebuilding time frame. They've been more upfront and realistic than anyone at Carlton over the last 20 yrs. You just can't handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
I never said it was acceptable but its not doomsday end of the world stuff either.

YES !!!

Or even be on 10 wins like the Tigers (lost to them by 26), Swans (lost to them by 30) and Eagles (lost to them by 10)

OF COURSE !!

But to think we should be expecting to be as good as these teams right now is unrealistic.

I hate losing

I hate the way we play.

All i am saying is... taking a step back.. I was surprised the results arent as bad as i thought they were and perhaps.... just perhaps... it's not as doomsday as a lot of people think.
You need to stand a bit further back
A 4 to 5 goal loss when you score 90 to 100 and opponent is 120 to 130 is an ok loss
But when you score 50 to 60 and the opposition is 80 to 90
Well thats a flogging

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's still only around a goal a quarter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:

Unacceptable loses against other crap sides but just beaten by top 4 sides and the season isn't that bad.

Maybe the top sides went through the motions and just did what they had to do and we were never in the hunt.
Maybe the we just couldn't compete for what ever reason against the other average sides and we need to improve dramatically.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

[quote="grrofunger"]I never said it was acceptable but its not doomsday end of the world stuff either.

YES !!!

OF COURSE !!

I hate losing

I hate the way we play.

[color=#FF0000]

[/color]

On the same page.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:
It's still only around a goal a quarter

we're at 60% on the ladder. that's as bad as it gets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

What about 59%?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The losses don't look bad as stats but they fail the eye test pretty bad. I reckon there have been 4 games we've realistically been 'in' after 1/4 time this year.

But seriously, was anyone expecting us to make the 8 or win the flag this year? I wasn't. I'm just hopeful we are building some solid foundations rather than chasing cheap sugar hits. Changing what we're doing now would be silly - we'd just have to appoint a new coach who would want 'his list', would turn over 40 odd players and we'd go through the same shit. The folk in charge bought the vision, now we have to stay the course and trust the process.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm 
Robert Walls

Donstuie wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Things must really be the pits if we’re lamenting the departures of Smedts and Boekhorst.

Not lamenting...just making the point that those we brought in a worse so we are in deficit

Are they? And are we paying the same salaries?

IMHO Smedts + Boekhorst >>> Mullet + O'Shea + Shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

What would TC be without keyboard Coaches/ directors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Go you good things!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 350  Next