Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:17 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Still too much backwards, sideways, useless flat footed ring a rosy handball, too high pressing, no forwards, minimal leading towards the ball and on and on.

Most of our good stuff comes from moments of individual brilliance because we do have a lot of talent on the list.

Though there is a lot of horrible skills as well....

Most of our kids dont have the capacity to run as much as we would like.

Give them a couple more preseasons

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I think sometimes it's right to kick sideways or backwards to man in space but that receiver has to be good player with vision and skill to quickly pick out someone forward before the opposition flood back into space. Anymore than one kick sideways/backwards is just a wasting time tactic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

redback wrote:
If you don't think picking a team, playing a certain way, continual skill errors and knowing what each of your players is capable of is a coaching aspect of your team, then please enjoy our teams non growth and frustration.
First few weeks it was our young list.
Last couple of weeks it was lack of mid 20 year olds.
This week it's our seniors and their lack of leadership.
Lack of skill but our youngsters are still young, trades are fillers, too many injuries, too offensive, too defensive, specific individuals from week to week, fmd
look at the way we play, how we defend, how we attack
it's a team structure and game plan we lack
We're not going to make the finals let them enjoy their footy and play footy.
He's playing the wrong players in the wrong positions and killing the team, not to mention cripps

...and what you are effectively saying its players mistakes not the game plan.

Have another read of dannyboys post above (top of page). IF the senior players didnt butcher the ball, yes, butcher, we may have won that one.

At the end of the game, all I heard from Swans supporters was that Carlton lost the game as opposed to Swans win the game.

At half time, I had a bunch of Swans supporters wanting to bet me that Carlton would win. I refused because the fact its a Home Game for the Swans, they effectively play with an extra few players (umpires).

Whilst some of the umpiring decisions for Buddy and others were crowd pleasers, despite being wrong decisions, they were not the reason we lost.

The game plan is obvious.
We have 13 injured players out, including our AA and VC in Docherty.
We are playing kids.

All legit reasons we are not at the top of our game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
redback wrote:
If you don't think picking a team, playing a certain way, continual skill errors and knowing what each of your players is capable of is a coaching aspect of your team, then please enjoy our teams non growth and frustration.
Lack of skill but our youngsters are still young, trades are fillers, too many injuries, too offensive, too defensive, specific individuals from week to week, fmd
He's playing the wrong players in the wrong positions and killing the team, not to mention cripps

Have another read of dannyboys post above (top of page). IF the senior players didnt butcher the ball, yes, butcher, we may have won that one.

At the end of the game, all I heard from Swans supporters was that Carlton lost the game as opposed to Swans win the game.

At half time, I had a bunch of Swans supporters wanting to bet me that Carlton would win. I refused because the fact its a Home Game for the Swans, they effectively play with an extra few players (umpires).

Whilst some of the umpiring decisions for Buddy and others were crowd pleasers, despite being wrong decisions, they were not the reason we lost.

We are playing kids.

Yes players make mistakes and it's infuriating but if they haven't got a direct avenue to release and have to go back and sideways then the mistakes are multiplied.
The less ball handling the less mistakes, we over posses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

I do agree with some posters that our kids don't back themselves enough (or aren't being back by the seniors/coaches enough). Some examples on Friday: Fisher chipping the ball from ~35m out to outside the 50m arc - turnover, goal to Sydney. Earlier, a youngster (I forget who) had the goal about 40m out with (I think) space to take a shot, but a stationary Ed Curnow had his hands in the air about 45m out. Handball made, Ed gets crunched in the tackle. There was also Darcy Lang charging into the 50m arc and then seeming to second-guess himself and chip a nothing kick into the pocket. This seems to have been an issue for some time now (think back to that game where SOJ marked the ball 5m out directly in front, with a first ever Carlton goal beckoning. Then kicks it to Gibbs 25m out on a 45 degree angle, who proceeds to miss). Where does this lack of self-belief come from? Is the "damage limitation" gameplan teaching the kids they can't be relied on to make things happen? Just idle speculation here...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

could be

and could be leadership.

Leaders must instruct the kids to take the risk - a coach can tell them after the event or before the event - but a leader on the ground demands it during the event.

Perhaps Bolts and the coaches need to address this aspect of our on the ground leadership - that the leaders must convince the kids to take the risks?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
could be

and could be leadership.

Leaders must instruct the kids to take the risk - a coach can tell them after the event or before the event - but a leader on the ground demands it during the event.

Perhaps Bolts and the coaches need to address this aspect of our on the ground leadership - that the leaders must convince the kids to take the risks?
We are not the only team that does this. You even watch Dusty there is many a time he gives off when he could have a shot.
The difference I see with Carlton is that our shots on goal are few and far between so when a player gets in cooee of the goal we all want them to take the shot.
I don't mind it but sometimes I just want the players to be a bit selfish and take the shot

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
redback wrote:

We are playing kids.

A voice of reason for a change, how refreshing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Fixture hasn't been kind to us.

We've played and lost against the entire current top 8 and only played 3 games against the bottom 8 teams for our only win.

We should add this to the youth and injuries excuses.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

...Adelaide just dropped out of the 8

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

Gee who would of thought injuries make a side weaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

excuses....

I love this...excuses are the excuse of those unable to consider a different opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Trigger wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!
Now now Trigger you carry on like you expected Carlton to be 1 and 10 at this stage of the season.
Any supporter that says or posts that they expected us to have only won one game is a flat out liar.
This season so far has been very disappointing.
I can't recall one poster stating we would be this bad.
No one from the coaches administration or media predicted a drop off like this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Trigger wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!

After failing to win the GF last year and allowing Richmond to win - he should be!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Trigger wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!
Now now Trigger you carry on like you expected Carlton to be 1 and 10 at this stage of the season.
Any supporter that says or posts that they expected us to have only won one game is a flat out liar.

No i did not expect to be 1-10, i expected us to win 5-6 by the end of the year no more, but i also did not expect our injury toll to be as big either, so i am being realistic not living in fantasy land with what we have stepping out on the field.
We do not have the depth as yet, as long as we keep getting games into the younger players i am fine with that!
this will take a few more years yet , this was never going to be a 3 year rebuild as others have suggested, 5-7 years from our low base is what i expected and that is how we are tracking by the look of it.
So i do not go on rants, re game plans, sack the coaches ect ect___
By the way a few in the media did predict we will struggle this year and tipped us to finish with the spoon.
Gws, Goldcoast started from a better base than us ( that definitley says something with regards to our own incompetence in the past, which we all know about) and how are they travelling?

Bolton will be fine, year 5 is when i expect us to start seeing us contending for the finals, it may happen earlier but that is what i reasonabley
expect.

It takes allot of years to rebuid a young, inexperienced list when you are hamstrung by the Draconion AFL rules.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Trigger wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!

Most tipped us for the wooden spoon this year, which is exactly what is likely. Am i disappointed, yes, am i surprised given where our list is at and the injuries we have had, no.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
could be

and could be leadership.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-05/what-afl-teams-are-learning-from-the-nba-kicking-accuracy/9831994?pfmredir=sm&section=sport

Just as we discuss someone writes about it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Boys wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Trigger wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!

Most tipped us for the wooden spoon this year, which is exactly what is likely. Am i disappointed, yes, am i surprised given where our list is at and the injuries we have had, no.

Most tipped North to be with us and the druggies top 4 and West Coast as big sliders.
Look at how the Roos and Eagles play compared to us, even the pies who last year didn't know what they stood for with the same playing group. Bad skills can't kick a goal blah blah. Amazing what ball movement does to a average team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

redback wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Trigger wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Sack the coach!

Most tipped North to be with us and the druggies top 4 and West Coast as big sliders.
Look at how the Roos and Eagles play compared to us, even the pies who last year didn't know what they stood for with the same playing group. Bad skills can't kick a goal blah blah. Amazing what ball movement does to a average team.

Just because the football world underestimated north and overestimated bombers doesn't meed they misjudged Carlton. You're comparing the roos and eagles playing style to ours, but the state of our list is very different to theirs. Have a look at Norths midfield compared to ours, way more experienced. Eagles have arguably the best forward and defender in the league in Kennedy and McGovern and Gaff and Darling are having breakout years. Have a look at the experience and age demographic of our list, we are in our rightful position at the bottom of the ladder. But I am confident the tide will turn in a year or two, it'll just take time given the turnover of the list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 350  Next