Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not until after they earned themselves Premiership medallions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
A little birdie told me the powerbrokers at Carlton are critical of our head coach. From what I can gather, he would want to get some wins this year.
The only way he will get sacked is if there is a change of board. MLG hasn't the balls and he has backed the house on Bolton.
If they go rounds 4to 6 with out a win he simply has to go cant waste this talent he has at his disposal

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

So we lost one game to the team that finished last home and away season 2 games clear and some of you lot are talking about sacking the coach. :lol:
I recall similar talk about Buckley in Round 3 last year.
Give it a @#$%&! rest until we've played at least a couple of games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
wonder if Wallsy or Parko ever 'fell in love' with their players... ?

How could any coach not fall in love with Wayne Johnston?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
So we lost one game to the team that finished last home and away season 2 games clear and some of you lot are talking about sacking the coach. :lol:
See you in 3 weeks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Did anyone else notice the Mick Malthouse like game plan of kicking it down the line. It inevitably resulted in a turn over by either a shit kick that ended up out on the full or in the times we actually managed to get into the forward line the Richmond backs had set up to cover the very limited entry points into F50 and slingshotted into their own attack time and time again. If the best Bolton has is the Collingwood gameplan of 2010 he is in big trouble. I hope it's not the case, but it's hard to hold faith based on last year and the start of this year. Yes we played arguably the best team in the comp, so I only hope that it's onwards and upwards from here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

The_Cranium wrote:
Did anyone else notice the Mick Malthouse like game plan of kicking it down the line. It inevitably resulted in a turn over by either a shit kick that ended up out on the full or in the times we actually managed to get into the forward line the Richmond backs had set up to cover the very limited entry points into F50 and slingshotted into their own attack time and time again. If the best Bolton has is the Collingwood gameplan of 2010 he is in big trouble. I hope it's not the case, but it's hard to hold faith based on last year and the start of this year. Yes we played arguably the best team in the comp, so I only hope that it's onwards and upwards from here

Yes, but that isn't new to 2019, we've been doing it out of necessity to stop floggings for years..
That game plan was developed to create a running maul from one end of the ground to the other on the basis that if you couldn't mark the footy, you made sure it went out and if it did turn over, it was in a less vulnerable position. It was accompanied on those times by manic gang-tackling, the bit we miss out on.
It's at complete odds with the AFL's current aim to open up the game and prevent running mauls from one end of the ground to the other.
When we went inside, the opposition team weren't ready for it because we hardly ever do it. That's why it worked, along with the fact that the AFL has designed the system to make sure it works if teams have the ability to pull it off, which we don't have for four quarters, but we will.
We went one handball too many a few times that cost turnovers in vulnerable areas of the ground.
Someone posted earlier that we don't have enough straight ahead players. If you are running hard and straight for a gap and you get the footy, you are allowed to put the ball under your arm and run ten metres before you even think about bouncing it.
Think Tippungwuti, even that nuisance Higgins who got three last night, including two absolute flukes, which aren't really flukes because he does it every week. Our handballs go around in circles a lot because the receiver is already covered and has to get rid of it, he is stationary or he doesn't want the responsibility to gain metres.
I thought Murphy put on a handball clinic on the night with his long, clearing handballs to space.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:

Bolton won't be sacked over one game. imo, it won't happen until our bye weekend if it happens. but some of the signs on thursday night weren't good. and have been existent for the last 3 years, whether we've had an injured list or not.

my random thoughts from being at the G:

we'd kicked 2, maybe 3 goals on the trot and we were heading into time on into the the 3rd quarter. Rance just got carried off the field. The perfect opportunity to run and carry and push things and push for another goal while they were down. But no, we slowed it down, everyone resumed their defensive responsibilities while we dinked it sideways and short and played out the clock, desperate not to concede.

it's just one relevant example from the game which stuck with me about Bolton's situational coaching. he so methodically sticks to his game plan ... when at times you need to roll the dice and actively get after it.

We still have some large holes in the squad list. We still lack a fast small forward who can apply defensive pressure, as well as be creative & nifty on goal. we lack foot speed through the middle ... but at times on thursday watching richmond send one or two players to a contest while the other mids would start spreading and running hard the other way and catch us flat footed.

this is a coaching issue, and that happened more than a dozen times i counted. our forward structure is a little average too. we blindly bomb it forward in the direction of a tall. very few times do we hold the ball for another step or two and weigh our options or look for a lead runner – and on thursday we often had harry or charlie running into space.

i also thought across the field we lost far too many 1-on-1 battles, which is not coaching, but personal. basic errors. We dropped a lot of regulation chest marks with what i can only imagine was perceived pressure which comes about bcos no one on the field is talking. it was hard to hear over the crowd, but there wasn't alotta talk from our boys, and if there was; it wasn't loud. But, i could hear Richmond all night. they don't shut up.

is that coaching inadequacy or a playing group with no cohesion? i dunno. maybe a bit of both.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Braithy wrote:
We still have some large holes in the squad list. We still lack a fast small forward who can apply defensive pressure, as well as be creative & nifty on goal. we lack foot speed through the middle ... but at times on thursday watching richmond send one or two players to a contest while the other mids would start spreading and running hard the other way and catch us flat footed.

this is a coaching issue, and that happened more than a dozen times i counted. our forward structure

i also thought across the field we lost far too many 1-on-1 battles, which is not coaching, but personal. basic errors. We dropped a lot of regulation chest marks with what i can only imagine was perceived pressure which comes about bcos no one on the field is talking. it was hard to hear over the crowd, but there wasn't alotta talk from our boys, and if there was; it wasn't loud. But, i could hear Richmond all night. they don't shut up.

is that coaching inadequacy or a playing group with no cohesion? i dunno. maybe a bit of both.

What part is a coaching issue?

On one hand you say we lost too many one on ones but on the other hand you complain we're not manning up the players outside the contest.
IMHO the Tigers are like St Kilda in they run forward of the ball which is fine while they are winning the stoppage clearances. When we got on top in that area we exposed them and got ourselves back into the game. Winning the clearances 9-7 in the second quarter gave us first use and the Tigers players running forward of the ball were redundant.
I'd much rather our players continue with the coaching methodology of gaining possession when the ball is in dispute rather than cheating and waiting for one of your mates to do it. That's the method that will stand up in finals.

We were found out for strength and size more than anything. Cuningham, Fisher, SPS, they got their hands on the ball but they were dispossessed too easily. Cuningham had several opportunities to goal or to break out of stoppages but he lacked the core strength and was dispossessed numerous times.
That will come with duration in the system and building bodies to compete. The Tigers on the other hand were able to shrug or stand up in the tackles and distribute the ball to team mates.

I was as disappointed as anyone but I saw the positives. We won the centre clearances and we were within 10 points of the best team of the past couple of years in the last quarter. Our players didn't handle the early heat and pressure but we then turned the tide and controlled the next 2 quarters of the game. That's a positive for the coaches.
Charlie had a pig of a game and our forward line still lacks cohesion but once again we scored well from forward half stoppages which is a positive for the coaches.

The game blew out in the last 10 minutes but we were will in it until then so there's plenty to work on. If Bolton can't get reasonable improvement this year, I'll be happy to see him moved on but let's not talk coach sacking rubbish until we've actually gained a reasonable sample of evidence.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 am 
Bruce Doull

Good to see the usual suspects are wasting no time resuming normal service.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
See you in 3 weeks

Surely you don't expect us to beat a team that finished above us last year, do you? :razz:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

The_Cranium wrote:

Our game plan is nothing like Malthouses. Malthouses game plan was hugging the boundary and seeking the safety of it if we turned it over. It was incredibly negative - I havent worked out what we are trying to achieve but we are looking to go far more direct than we have for a long time which suggest the coaches have faith in our skills moving forward. The biggest negative I saw was how easily we got pushed of the contest in the first quarter - not because we wernt willing but because we were physically smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:

On one hand you say we lost too many one on ones but on the other hand you complain we're not manning up the players outside the contest.
IMHO the Tigers are like St Kilda in they run forward of the ball which is fine while they are winning the stoppage clearances. When we got on top in that area we exposed them and got ourselves back into the game. Winning the clearances 9-7 in the second quarter gave us first use and the Tigers players running forward of the ball were redundant.
I'd much rather our players continue with the coaching methodology of gaining possession when the ball is in dispute rather than cheating and waiting for one of your mates to do it. That's the method that will stand up in finals.

We were found out for strength and size more than anything. Cuningham, Fisher, SPS, they got their hands on the ball but they were dispossessed too easily. Cuningham had several opportunities to goal or to break out of stoppages but he lacked the core strength and was dispossessed numerous times.
That will come with duration in the system and building bodies to compete. The Tigers on the other hand were able to shrug or stand up in the tackles and distribute the ball to team mates.

I was as disappointed as anyone but I saw the positives. We won the centre clearances and we were within 10 points of the best team of the past couple of years in the last quarter. Our players didn't handle the early heat and pressure but we then turned the tide and controlled the next 2 quarters of the game. That's a positive for the coaches.
Charlie had a pig of a game and our forward line still lacks cohesion but once again we scored well from forward half stoppages which is a positive for the coaches.

The game blew out in the last 10 minutes but we were will in it until then so there's plenty to work on. If Bolton can't get reasonable improvement this year, I'll be happy to see him moved on but let's not talk coach sacking rubbish until we've actually gained a reasonable sample of evidence.

our structures and game plan were the coaching. imo, we lost the game in the first 10 minutes, not the last 10.

at the game it felt like a 10 goal loss (maybe could have been if tigers kick straight). i'm not sure of the last couple of years about the tigers in regard to their actual stats, but watching them, they don't feel like a possession based team. so beating them in clearances and possessions is something they plan for. and they mitigate it excellently, imo.

we play slowly and defensively, yet still somehow manage to hit on the rebound time and time again. richmond were allowing us to win clearances by sending less players to the ball, but soaking up the space to the areas around where we could go with the ball. that was causing us to over play the ball, and not have many options up field, which forced us sideways a lot. we played into their hands in that regard and we did exactly what hardwick thought we'd do.

I've always thought bolton is limited at countering other coaches on gameday, and on thursday night it was more of the same? Why not send charlie up onto a wing to turn his man and create a bit of havoc up field? why not go man-on for a 5-6 minutes here and there to stem their momentum and possibly force hardwick to counter? why in the 3rd in time-on with momentum, did we not really lift the tempo rather then lower it?

just patterns which have existed for the last 3 years and counting.

i agree our list isn't mature enough, and we still have holes to fill (small forward, more pace, more run and quality out of defense etc) ... and i'd love bolton to be the coach to put it together and get us, just for the fact we are closer now, than if we have to strip it back and start over in the coaching box.

i'm impatient. lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:04 am 
Rod Ashman

that felt like a 10 goal loss to you?

i was at the game as well and i thought had we taken some chances in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we could have gone into the last in front
we were the better team in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and completely ran out of puff in the last

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:06 am 
Craig Bradley

Bloody hell leave this site for a couple of days and we are sacking the coach
Remind me who were premiership favourites last year and before Thursday night

I wasn’t happy with the 5 goal first quarter by Tigers and nothing from us but at least we readjusted again last quarter fade out wasn’t good but perhaps I’m a realist thought that would be the result beforehand
Stay the course in my view building nicely obviously don’t want to win 2 games but if we won 6-7 this year that would be good
Not sureI would be stamping the coaches papers after one game

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Really enjoyed reading both opinions Braithy and BV. Thanks. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree Doof if Setterfield and H kicked those goals at the end of third really close

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

Yes, but that isn't new to 2019, we've been doing it out of necessity to stop floggings for years..
That game plan was developed to create a running maul from one end of the ground to the other on the basis that if you couldn't mark the footy, you made sure it went out and if it did turn over, it was in a less vulnerable position. It was accompanied on those times by manic gang-tackling, the bit we miss out on.
It's at complete odds with the AFL's current aim to open up the game and prevent running mauls from one end of the ground to the other.
When we went inside, the opposition team weren't ready for it because we hardly ever do it. That's why it worked, along with the fact that the AFL has designed the system to make sure it works if teams have the ability to pull it off, which we don't have for four quarters, but we will.
We went one handball too many a few times that cost turnovers in vulnerable areas of the ground.
Someone posted earlier that we don't have enough straight ahead players. If you are running hard and straight for a gap and you get the footy, you are allowed to put the ball under your arm and run ten metres before you even think about bouncing it.
Think Tippungwuti, even that nuisance Higgins who got three last night, including two absolute flukes, which aren't really flukes because he does it every week. Our handballs go around in circles a lot because the receiver is already covered and has to get rid of it, he is stationary or he doesn't want the responsibility to gain metres.
I thought Murphy put on a handball clinic on the night with his long, clearing handballs to space.

That wont change over night, now will coach be able to put muscle onto these kids.

I thought the kids laboured at the end of quarters, and as a result fumbled.

Make no mistake, every time our kids crash into more mature bodies (nearly all the competition) they come off 2nd best. We may admire their desire, will and their bravery, but in this game of attrition they are worn down over the duration of 100 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

this is a coaching issue, and that happened more than a dozen times i counted. our forward structure

That's what I saw in the wash up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

doofdoof wrote:
that felt like a 10 goal loss to you?

i was at the game as well and i thought had we taken some chances in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we could have gone into the last in front
we were the better team in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and completely ran out of puff in the last

Sack Andrew Russell

We gave him a list of classy youth and he hasnt transformed them into senior mature bodied warriors. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 350  Next