Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Can’t we just all agree that
1) No one here is satisfied about not winning
2) Winning isn’t just going to happen overnight
3) Maybe there’s a reason our coaches (yes there’s more than one) are pushing the game plan that we don’t know about

Is that seriously so hard?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

NARC...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
3) Maybe there’s a reason our coaches (yes there’s more than one) are pushing the game plan that we don’t know about

Don I like point 3.

Maybe the players are not aware of it either.

Port with a new game plan and 4 first gamers seemed to do okay against a reasonable team.

But you are right. Give BB a few more games before we play hangman.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:23 am 
Bruce Doull

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Don I like point 3.

Maybe the players are not aware of it either.

Port with a new game plan and 4 first gamers seemed to do okay against a reasonable team.

But you are right. Give BB a few more games before we play hangman.

A few more, but that's it. There's been no sign of anything positive for 3 years now. Enough is enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:
We spent a huge chunk of training at the session i went to practicing kicking it long down the boundary line from defence to attack

Then did it in the game

It's clearly a plan

That might be the perception but it's not the reality. 28 minutes into the 3rd quarter, we led 90-84 for corridor disposals.

We went fast and through the corridor in the first quarter and we had our arses kicked. Richmond dropped a winger back after the centre bounces and we were continually kicking to a 6-7 forward line.
Bolton mentioned in his presser that we were fumbly which put us under pressure and we played too quickly when Richmond dropped the spare back.
Our tactic was correct in the second quarter in that we were more patient with our ball use. That gave Richmond more opportunity to protect the corridor but it also gave us the opportunity to use our spare around the ball.

I'm sure every coach would like to go through the middle of the ground at every opportunity but sometimes the situation doesn't allow for it. Our forwards were fumbling the ball, we were being intercepted by their spares and our disposals were under pressure. 5 minutes into the second quarter, Richmond had already scored 3.2 from defensive possession chains. Last year they averaged 21 points for the whole game.

I credit the coaches for turning the tide and giving us strategies to get back into the game. Look at Essendon* yesterday to see what happens when a coach doesn't have that ability.
We scored 2 goals in the second quarter alone from forward half stoppages which we have been doing well in the JLT as well. Consider last year we averaged less than 1 goal per game. Instead of blasting it in to an outnumbered situation, we were more patient which allowed us to put set up defensively behind the ball.
We won the clearances, we won the inside 50 count and we kicked 4 goals from getting the ball inside 50 and retaining it there.
The third quarter we continued with the contested game, we were on top in the clearances (12-7), inside 50 count (15-12) and forward half intercepts (6-0).

In the last quarter we let them get on top with the contested footy and disappointingly dropped off in the last 15 minutes but there were plenty of positives IMO.

We showed that our players could adapt in-game and turn the momentum of the contest. With Charlie, Fasolo and McGovern struggling to have an impact, we created goals from ground balls instead of persisting with something that wasn't working on the night. We have looked significantly improved to date IMO. We were strong against Hawthorn who showed on the weekend that they're still a very good side. We beat the Bombers, the Pies fell in against us and we ran the best side of the past couple of years for a fair portion of the game with some of our better players struggling to impact.

I liked some of the strategies. Fasolo as the deep forward didn't work on Thursday as we couldn't get the ball deep enough but I think it's a strong strategy moving forward. Their players handled the sweaty footy better than ours did. Their bigger bodies held up for longer and their strength in the contest was still better than ours. Cuningham probably lost the ball 4 or 5 times from lack of strength in the tackle. Whether is be coughing it up or being penalised for incorrect disposal. SPS coughed it up in the defensive 50 in the 4th quarter which cost a goal. Fisher was easily dispossessed a number of times. That wont happen with longer in the system.
It cant change overnight. It can only improve and I think we have. There's still plenty to work on but we're heading strongly in the right direction IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I want Daisy and Simmo, as senior players, to get Garlett into the play more and use his run out of defence to attack the opposition more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
We spent a huge chunk of training at the session i went to practicing kicking it long down the boundary line from defence to attack

Then did it in the game

It's clearly a plan

That might be the perception but it's not the reality. 28 minutes into the 3rd quarter, we led 90-84 for corridor disposals.

We went fast and through the corridor in the first quarter and we had our arses kicked. Richmond dropped a winger back after the centre bounces and we were continually kicking to a 6-7 forward line.
Bolton mentioned in his presser that we were fumbly which put us under pressure and we played too quickly when Richmond dropped the spare back.
Our tactic was correct in the second quarter in that we were more patient with our ball use. That gave Richmond more opportunity to protect the corridor but it also gave us the opportunity to use our spare around the ball.

I'm sure every coach would like to go through the middle of the ground at every opportunity but sometimes the situation doesn't allow for it. Our forwards were fumbling the ball, we were being intercepted by their spares and our disposals were under pressure. 5 minutes into the second quarter, Richmond had already scored 3.2 from defensive possession chains. Last year they averaged 21 points for the whole game.

I credit the coaches for turning the tide and giving us strategies to get back into the game. Look at Essendon** yesterday to see what happens when a coach doesn't have that ability.
We scored 2 goals in the second quarter alone from forward half stoppages which we have been doing well in the JLT as well. Consider last year we averaged less than 1 goal per game. Instead of blasting it in to an outnumbered situation, we were more patient which allowed us to put set up defensively behind the ball.
We won the clearances, we won the inside 50 count and we kicked 4 goals from getting the ball inside 50 and retaining it there.
The third quarter we continued with the contested game, we were on top in the clearances (12-7), inside 50 count (15-12) and forward half intercepts (6-0).

In the last quarter we let them get on top with the contested footy and disappointingly dropped off in the last 15 minutes but there were plenty of positives IMO.

We showed that our players could adapt in-game and turn the momentum of the contest. With Charlie, Fasolo and McGovern struggling to have an impact, we created goals from ground balls instead of persisting with something that wasn't working on the night. We have looked significantly improved to date IMO. We were strong against Hawthorn who showed on the weekend that they're still a very good side. We beat the Bombers, the Pies fell in against us and we ran the best side of the past couple of years for a fair portion of the game with some of our better players struggling to impact.

I liked some of the strategies. Fasolo as the deep forward didn't work on Thursday as we couldn't get the ball deep enough but I think it's a strong strategy moving forward. Their players handled the sweaty footy better than ours did. Their bigger bodies held up for longer and their strength in the contest was still better than ours. Cuningham probably lost the ball 4 or 5 times from lack of strength in the tackle. Whether is be coughing it up or being penalised for incorrect disposal. SPS coughed it up in the defensive 50 in the 4th quarter which cost a goal. Fisher was easily dispossessed a number of times. That wont happen with longer in the system.
It cant change overnight. It can only improve and I think we have. There's still plenty to work on but we're heading strongly in the right direction IMHO.

I watched the same game as you BV.

We were not at our best and carried a few passengers so there's plenty of improvement to come on top of that performance:

I expect improvement from:

Charlie...had a dog of a night. 1 mark.
Garlett ...only had 9 disposals. His game against Collingwood is what we want him to bring.
Fisher didnt get out into space to steady the driving kick. He was rushed. Will find space.
SPS was quiet in the first and I wonder if it was a positional change that got him in the area he had a bigger influence. Wasn't bad. More disposals needed
Gibbons will be in more dangerous spots
McGovern whilst he got into by imposing his big frame in the contst, he will find his feet.
Cuningham got the tempo of the game and will find more space see Fish
Fasolo didn't impose himself on the contest enough. Must go harder. Will go harder.
Dow and Setters will get fitter with more matches under their belt. Tired at end of quarters

Kreuzer will give us more strength around the pack
Marchbank will give us a good marking target running out of defence.
Williamson will be better for us at HBwith his running and long laser passes.
Silvagni was a form player in the preseason. He will add value replacing those that can't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nice read BV.

There is something to like about a clever small forward in the goal square. Charlie Cameron was electric there for the Lions on the weekend and maybe Fas will be this for us with some more game time.

I just want a Charlie Cameron type in our side now.. and I have been hoping this would be Garlett.

Fair to say, I am also on the "he is playing at the wrong end" bandwagon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Pretend supporters Regurgitating the same crap every week, sack the coach , sack the players, the coach has no idea.no game plan ect ect, the fact is they have no idea what a game plan is and should just stop embarrassing themselves!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Good read BV, thanks for the extra info.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

So.....

do we use the midyear draft for a small
forward...?

surely there's an overlooked zippy lad
in the lower leagues...an Eddie Catoggio
if you will...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

tommi wrote:
So.....

do we use the midyear draft for a small
forward...?

surely there's an overlooked zippy lad
in the lower leagues...an Eddie Catoggio
if you will...!

kindest regards tommi

That depends on injuries and what happens over the next 10 rounds. But at the moment a small defensive forward would add to the list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:19 pm 
Rod McGregor

on footy classified now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 am 
Bruce Doull

Yes, we'd love the team to charge through the middle every time and hit a leading forward on the tit 20m out directly in front, but that's kinda ignoring the fact that there's another team out there whose focus is preventing exactly that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Maybe this weekend we can play three good quarters instead of two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

PercyJones wrote:
on footy classified now

just watched it

can I have that 5 minutes back ..?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yeah, I don't think Bolton ever says much on those shows. Doesn't really answer the questions, and just repeats some of his mantras.

Thought he was much better post-game though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

Watching the pies tonight with a clear game plan to play against tigers. Does make me wonder what our coaching staff do from week to week. I know we probably don’t have the skill to do this plan, but it would be nice to see a coaching initiated change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yes, you are correct. We don't have the skills, developed players or team cohesion to play like the Pies.....yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 350  Next